PDA

View Full Version : RE: Sizes

Cogidubnus
2010-05-18, 03:59 PM
How large (in feet and inches) would you say the average monster is, long and tall?

More specifically, how long, tall and heavy is a juvenile red dragon, roughly?

Flickerdart
2010-05-18, 04:02 PM
dimensions and weights for size categories (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat).

Greenish
2010-05-18, 04:03 PM
How large (in feet and inches) would you say the average monster is, long and tall?Are we to put all the monsters in the game together and calculate their average size?

More specifically, how long, tall and heavy is a juvenile red dragon, roughly?It would be 8 ft. - 16 ft. from nose to tail and weigh about 500 lb. - 2 tons. Juvenile red dragon would probably be on the larger end of the scale.

[Edit]: Curses, I have been ninjaed!

Cogidubnus
2010-05-18, 04:06 PM
Are we to put all the monsters in the game together and calculate their average size?

Why not? XD I meant more just how big Large makes you think of.

Asheram
2010-05-18, 04:15 PM
The MM states that a Red Juvenile dragon is a Large creature... *looks around*

Specific stats sent.

Flickerdart
2010-05-18, 04:17 PM
The MM states that a Red Juvenile dragon is a Large creature... *looks around*

Specific stats sent.
The Monster Manual is, for the most part, under the OGL and can be posted freely.

gbprime
2010-05-18, 04:21 PM
I meant more just how big Large makes you think of.

Large is big enough to smash you repeatedly over the head, but not big enough to step on you and grind you into the dirt. That's size Huge. Meanwhile, Gargantuan is big enough to eat you as an appetizer, and Colossal is sufficient to squish you like an ant.

http://valor_phoenix.tripod.com/Games/MonsterHunter/MH_Dragons.jpg

any questions? :smallbiggrin:

Asheram
2010-05-18, 04:21 PM
The Monster Manual is, for the most part, under the OGL and can be posted freely.

So it is, so it is.

Cogidubnus
2010-05-18, 04:26 PM
Large is big enough to smash you repeatedly over the head, but not big enough to step on you and grind you into the dirt. That's size Huge. Meanwhile, Gargantuan is big enough to eat you as an appetizer, and Colossal is sufficient to squish you like an ant.

http://valor_phoenix.tripod.com/Games/MonsterHunter/MH_Dragons.jpg

any questions? :smallbiggrin:

Awesome. Just awesome. Especially the really big one.

gbprime
2010-05-18, 04:40 PM
Aha. Took a while to search down, but this is the illustration I was looking for originally. From PHB 3.5

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ph35_gallery/PHB35_PG150_WEB.jpg

And in case you're wondering... yes, they DO make a miniature for the fellow on the far right. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.iconusa.com/online/Images/D&D/colossal_red_dragon.png

Cogidubnus
2010-05-18, 05:02 PM
Argh! I'm on my phone now, so I'll have to wait until I'm on the pc tomorrow before I can open those spoilers. How disappointing.

nargbop
2010-05-18, 06:58 PM
You should not tell your players about the length and width and girdthth of a monster.

Instead, tell them how many PCs it can fit it its mouth at once.

I particularly like the opening line "You're almost as tall as its pinky toe!"

pinwiz
2010-05-18, 06:59 PM
And in case you're wondering... yes, they DO make a miniature for the fellow on the far right. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.iconusa.com/online/Images/D&D/colossal_red_dragon.png

that is shear awesome. Me want, me want!!! :smallbiggrin:

Gaiwecoor
2010-05-18, 09:32 PM

My group always just cut a piece of paper to the right number of squares, and stuck it under a Medium/Large dragon mini. Doesn't quite have the same effect... :smallsigh:

herrhauptmann
2010-05-19, 12:46 AM
You should not tell your players about the length and width and girdthth of a monster.

Instead, tell them how many PCs it can fit it its mouth at once.

I particularly like the opening line "You're almost as tall as its pinky toe!"

Better yet, steal the party beatstick's mini. And show them that it fits quite nicely in the red dragons mouth. I know for a fact too that small sized mini's particularly halflings and kobolds tend to fit into the blue dragons mouth, then get stuck there.

Also, the big guy is about 70$ new. Will probably pay more of if you go onto amazon.com, so I hope you've got a comic/gaming store nearby.

Epinephrine
2010-05-19, 07:47 AM
Instead of buying D&D dragons, I ordered a bunch of the McFarlane dragons; they nicely fill the gargantuan or so slot, and a few might be colossal.

The skeletal dragon makes a good dracolich, and is in the gargantuan-colossal size range, though I couldn't stand the fake flames and carefully removed them from my model.

Devils_Advocate
2010-05-20, 06:34 AM
Heh, that term would seem to be a bit of a misnomer in this case. :smalltongue:

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-20, 07:14 AM
Heh, that term would seem to be a bit of a misnomer in this case. :smalltongue:
I disagree. It is quite miniature. It is proportionally as miniature in comparison to the colossal red dragon as a human miniature is to the person playing the character it represents.

obnoxious
sig

Serpentine
2010-05-20, 07:25 AM
He knows that. The point is, as far as miniatures go, it's rather big.

Greenish
2010-05-20, 07:35 AM
I disagree. It is quite miniature. It is proportionally as miniature in comparison to the colossal red dragon as a human miniature is to the person playing the character it represents.Don't be silly, it's obviously a life-size statue of a really small dragon.

Devils_Advocate
2010-05-20, 08:14 AM
OIC (http://speakwithmonsters.badgods.com/comics/mm-giantant). :smalltongue:

Dairun Cates
2010-05-20, 02:14 PM

You know. I've seen it before, but I'd like to point out that ANYTHING that's the size of some of the large transformer toys has NO right being called a miniature. It's more like a too-scale with miniatures crappy action figure.

EDIT: ...Aaaand that's what I get for not reading the last couple of posts.

hamishspence
2010-05-20, 02:33 PM
Concerning the red dragon model- isn't its base size a bit big? Last time I looked at one in the shop- the base looked 8 squares wide- that is, 40 ft.

But Colossal dragons have a 30 ft Space.

Maybe it's a case of ignoring that general rule, in order to get a better model?

EDIT: I've checked the photo in Dragon 348 page 19- it's definitely 8 squares wide on the battlemat.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-20, 02:59 PM
I disagree. It is quite miniature. It is proportionally as miniature in comparison to the colossal red dragon as a human miniature is to the person playing the character it represents.

obnoxious
sig
It also makes a dandy life size Pseudodragon.

hamishspence
2010-05-20, 03:18 PM
Are we to put all the monsters in the game together and calculate their average size?
It would be 8 ft. - 16 ft. from nose to tail and weigh about 500 lb. - 2 tons. Juvenile red dragon would probably be on the larger end of the scale.

[Edit]: Curses, I have been ninjaed!

The table in MM says, for Large quadrupeds, that it's 8 ft minimum from nose to base of tail, not tip.

Dragons are quadrupeds- even if the miniatures often show them rearing up.

Draconomicon has its own dragon tables- though the tails tend to be awfully short compared to the artwork.

For a Large red dragon, the figures were:

31 ft Overall length (11 ft body, 9 ft neck & head, 11 ft tail)

2500 lb weight.