PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Dwarf Monk! (Build Help)

WeeFreeMen
2010-05-18, 04:24 PM
Evening all,
Our last campaign ended a week ago, and now our DM is starting up a new one. It will be a "Pathfinder" system and the setting is MTG: Ravnica (We've done it before, he just rebuilt it).

This time around, I wish to play a Monk. (Now before the inevitable, Play a Unarmed Swordsage, Monks are Bad, Wizards do it better, blah blah blah; comes in..) I am quite Solid/Sold on a DWARF MONK all I have to do now is stat him out.

Assume 25pt buy for Stats (I dont know what we are doing for stats, but 25pt buy is a safe bet). We are starting at lv3. All I ask now is that you help me Optimize for Unarmed damage, flurries, etc. I DO NOT want to be a grappler, as I know for a fact this DM enjoys throwing Large+ creatures at us.

Allowed Books: PF, Core, +Completes/SS/OA. (Yes, I know 2 different systems. Our DM hasn't cared in the past.)

So far.
Lv1: Ability Focus: Pharaoh's Fist
Monk Bonus 1: Pharaoh's Fist (Sandstorm,Yes I know its not in "Allowed" but he Ok'd it)
Monk Bonus 2:
Lv3:
Lv5:
Monk Bonus 6: Falling Star Strike (Oriental Adventures, Once again, DM allowed for Bonus)
Lv7:
Lv9: Snap Kick [ToB]
Monk Bonus 10: Medusa Wrath [PF-SRD]

Feats to Consider:
Touch of Golden Ice (Pretty nice Dex Damage, but the DC is low)
Superior Unarmed Strike? Improved Natural Attack? (Both?) Were to put them?
Freezing the Lifeblood? (Paralyze is never a bad thing, the Non-Damage part is kinda lame, but workable)
2nd Ability Focus on Falling Star Strike?
Fists of Iron? (3+Wis/Day for +1d4 on all attacks might be nice)
Extra Stunning? (More Stunning Fist/Day cant be a bad thing)
_---------_
Side Note
Oriental Adventures, Freezing the Lifeblood and Falling Star Strike both dont require a Use of Stunning Fist to be activated. What does that mean? Is it a typo? Can I do both in the same turn with different attacks? The text wording is confusing to me, or I failed a Comprehension check.

----
Thanks in advance to the Board members for your infinite wisdom ^_^d

WeeFreeMen
2010-05-18, 04:26 PM
Also any gear I should be looking for.

Starting at Lv3 WBL, but you can throw in Wishlist items.

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-18, 04:50 PM
I'm concerned about freezing the lifeblood. IIRC, the PF Monk is able to paralyze his foes with his stunning fist before of later.

Improved Natural Attack, if allowed, could be an idea. Rapid Stunning from Complete Warrior? Do you like an additional stunning attempt per round?

Just a question: what classes did other party members choose? This could be very relevant for your strategy (say, focus on stunning if the party has a deadly stroke fighter and a rogue, or the presence of a sorc/wizard able to buff you up your fists and size..)*

This could lead to two different strategies: move and deliver a single blow + debuff (say, spring attack + trip, move + Vital Strike an Improved Natural Attack + Stun) and the like, OR rely on arcane battlefield control to hang monster there and dispatch them with a flurry (or at least, hope so :smalltongue:).

Another thing: I don't know the power level of your campaing, but I don't like so much fist of iron.. IMO there are better choices.

* of course, in an undead heavy campaing focus of stunning could not be that great, awesome move..

WeeFreeMen
2010-05-18, 05:10 PM
Well the thing with Freezing the Lifeblood, as per wording in Oriental Adventures, It doesnt use up a Stun attempt, Its just an Attack. So, even if I get it early it still has limits/day.

Party (As of now):
Gnome Sorcer (Blaster type..)
Half-Elf Inquisitor (Ranged)

I believe My roll will be Condition Stack and Pounding Face.
I don't wish to tank, Ive played Meat Shield for the last 2 campaigns

If you had to Pick, Improved Natural Attack OR Superior Unarmed Strike.
(Sup Unarmed Strike +5lvs higher for Unarmed, like a Monk Belt, stacks)

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-19, 02:15 AM
IIRC, if you plan to go high levels, better INA. SUS is useless when your unarmed strike caps.

If you don't plan to go high level, check if they stack. Could be a way to improve your move + standard action damage if combined with vital strike (every effect that increases dice damage is better if the starting dice are big, see gold weapon + strongarm bracers + size increase, as an example).

How much blasting deserves your sorcerer to his spell slot? Is there place for, say, an enlarge person?