PDA

View Full Version : Silver Surfer vs. SUPERMAN

Skyserpent
2006-05-30, 02:45 AM
Arguably the most powerful character in DC versus the MOST powerful hero in Marvel. Does Cosmic Energy count as magic? Silver is faster and possibly stronger... Supes has near limitless stregnth and invulnerability of his own. I'm not sure as to what Surfer's capacity for punishment is but he doesn't look all that durable... aside from being entirely chrome...

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-30, 03:13 AM
Surfer can be harmed, he's just really fast. Unfortunately, supes can match that speed.

Ok problem: Which Surfer are we talking about? Which Supes are we talking about?

Details details.

sun_tzu
2006-05-30, 04:23 AM
Nah, Cosmic Power isn't magical. I'm almost sure it's science-based (I mean, he got it from Galactus).
Hm...Close fight. SS's powers are more varied, but Supes' possibly stronger, and definitely quicker.
I'm giving Superman 60% odds of winning.

Rex_Hondo
2006-05-30, 04:31 AM
The science of the Marvel Universe may be able to quantify it, but then it may still fall under "metaphysical." Between Reed Richards, Dr. Doom, and a couple of others, they've got instrumentation capable of measuring a lot of "magical" stuff.

Either way, interplanetary speeds, being unhindered by hard vacuum in any way, more powerful ranged attack capability, and less concern for the continued health of his adversary give Surfer a potential edge, at least against most modern incarnations of Superman.

KayJay
2006-05-30, 04:44 AM
The power cosmic is DEFINITELY not magic.

In the strength stakes I'd give it to Supes, although in outright speed, I'd give it to Silver Surfer- after all, he travels across the cosmos on his own steam, which requires a lot of speed to make any good time. I've not seen him prove to be able to use this speed in any way other than straight flight though, so I have a feeling that Superman would win.
The fight is pretty even though- I remember that Silver Surfer has fought the Cyborg before and the fight was about as even as when Superman fought Cyborg.

Rex_Hondo
2006-05-30, 05:22 AM
Alrighty, not magic. But does "cosmic" fall into the same category of stuff that bypasses Big Blue's damage reduction. If not, I figure from what little I've seen of the Surfer, even if it doesn't completely bypass it, it still has enough oomph that Supes will at least feel it.

So, the question becomes, does Silver Surfer have the range and accuracy to conduct faster-than-light strafing runs? ;)

Of course, if Superman can manage to get into position and get just one clothesline in... :o

KayJay
2006-05-30, 06:12 AM
Out of continuity, in Marvel Zombies the hulk had the power to bite off Surfer's head... so if that's at all near Surfer's level of pwoer, I reckon that Supes could win :) Of course, they also managed to defeat Galactus in this reality, so I'm not sure how canon it is ::)

CelestialStick
2006-05-30, 06:39 AM
Out of continuity, in Marvel Zombies the hulk had the power to bite off Surfer's head... so if that's at all near Surfer's level of pwoer, I reckon that Supes could win :) Of course, they also managed to defeat Galactus in this reality, so I'm not sure how canon it is ::) Heh. I was expecting this thread. :)
From the Wikipedia entry on Silver Surfer it sounded like Silver Surfer was nigh omnipotent, but if the Hulk can bite off his head, then I'd say that Superman wins.

High-Chancellor
2006-05-30, 07:10 AM
If they defeated Galactus I doubt it's canon, anyways. And thus...

Skyserpent
2006-05-30, 12:16 PM
I dunno, in the recent times Silver Surfer and Cable were basically rocketing around the world, shattering cities, continents, and the pacific fleet, then rebuilding them on the atomic level, Surfer can dish out a whole lot of damage.