PDA

View Full Version : Dromite - LA + 1? Also, psi-like ability questions

Kantolin
2010-05-18, 06:06 PM
Are Dromite really worth their level adjustment?

I'm making a setting (actually at the precise instant I'm at a temporary lull of a busy work which will eat my free time for some time now, but nevermind that) and am looking at races to plunk into it. Dromite seem quite cool, so I'm probably going to include them.

But I'm looking at their abilities, and am honestly unsure if they're actually worth having a level adjustment. Among other things, they have a stat overall negative (One of which is strength, which surprises me more given how much Wotc values strength), and then get some minor eclectic bonii.

As an additional addendum, their energy ray psi-like ability isn't going to be relevant in this campaign (Everyone can do similar), in case that's all that's pushing them to a LA+1.

So basically: Are Dromite actually worth their LA+1? Or could that be dropped to zero without mucking things up? My group doesn't optimize in the slightest, if that helps.

Secondly, uh. Speaking of energy ray - so a small array of psionic races have psionic spell-like abilities that theoretically get better with power points. Does a dromite's energy ray always do 1d6? Does it somehow scale automatically? Can a dromite spend power points to augment their inherent energy ray? *slightly confused*

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-18, 06:12 PM
PLA's are not powers. IIRC, they can't be augmented.

Greenish
2010-05-18, 06:18 PM
Are Dromite really worth their level adjustment?Nope. They'd be pretty decent at +0 LA, though +3 NA might be a bit much, but then their ability scores aren't that good.

tyckspoon
2010-05-18, 06:18 PM
Dromites are pretty good, actually, with +4 effective AC (small size + 3 natural armor) some energy resistance, Scent, and free Blind-Fight, plus being psionic to gain access to [Psionic] feats when they take non-psionic classes (like Sorcerer. Dromites make pretty nice Sorcerers.) I don't think it's quite worth an LA, but it's not far off, and WotC almost always errs on the side of caution when assigning level adjustments.

Psi-like abilities have the nifty trait of freely and automatically augmenting to the maximum possible. This means that a Dromite can, once per day, do the rough equivalent of a single Sneak Attack or a Warlock's Eldritch Blast. It's not all that impressive, and I'd be inclined to ignore it altogether when considering what LA to give them.

Eldariel
2010-05-18, 06:20 PM
So basically: Are Dromite actually worth their LA+1? Or could that be dropped to zero without mucking things up? My group doesn't optimize in the slightest, if that helps.

Same as with most LA +1 races (Catfolk, Aasimar, Tiefling...), it shouldn't really break anything to have them at LA +0. If anything, it makes them more playable; they are ever-so-slightly stronger in the vacuum but lack racial subs and such so it comes out quite fair.

sonofzeal
2010-05-18, 06:28 PM
PLA's are not powers. IIRC, they can't be augmented.
Actually, I believe they automatically get fully augmented for free.

Pluto
2010-05-18, 06:39 PM
Secondly, uh. Speaking of energy ray - so a small array of psionic races have psionic spell-like abilities that theoretically get better with power points. Does a dromite's energy ray always do 1d6? Does it somehow scale automatically? Can a dromite spend power points to augment their inherent energy ray? *slightly confused*
srd:
"When a creature uses a psi-like ability, the power is manifested as if the creature had spent a number of power points equal to its manifester level, which may augment the power to improve its damage or save DC. However, the creature does not actually spend power points for its psi-like abilities, even if it has a power point reserve due to racial abilities, class levels, or some other psionic ability."

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-18, 06:41 PM
Actually, I believe they automatically get fully augmented for free.

That's correct. Note that the amount of augmentation is based on the character's manifester level for his PLA (or 1/2 HD for the Dromite's energy ray).

Thurbane
2010-05-18, 08:49 PM
Is there any race that gets more hosed for +1 LA than Hogboblin? +2 to two attributes, but no racial abilities to speak of.

Optimystik
2010-05-18, 08:58 PM
I like Dromites. Ray spells get a lot more painful (especially at low levels) when you're tossing Psionic Shot onto them. Ditto Eldritch Blast and Orbs.

I would gladly give up the natural armor to lose the LA though.

hangedman1984
2010-05-19, 12:24 PM
Is there any race that gets more hosed for +1 LA than Hogboblin? +2 to two attributes, but no racial abilities to speak of.

Blues from XPH, A goblin subrace that only differs from core goblins by having 1 single bonus power point

Kantolin
2010-05-22, 02:44 PM
Thank you; that explains psi-like abilities quite clearly.

And I think I'll smack around their natural armour a little and drop the level adjustment, too. Or move it back a bit, anyway.

Thanks for the clarifications and explanations. ^_^

Optimystik
2010-05-22, 03:50 PM
Note that Neraphim (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2) get natural armor also (+2), yet are +0 LA. They're also Outsiders, and have no stat adjustments (positive or negative.)

Could the Dromite's PLA make up for that? I'm inclined to think they could get away with some natural armor, even at 0 LA.