PDA

View Full Version : Want to see a show...? [3.5 PrC]

strawberryman
2010-05-18, 06:31 PM
Woohoo, my next Touhou-themed PrC. :smalltongue:

Seven-Color Puppeteer
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5227/7colorpuppet.jpg
Alice Margatroid, a Seven-Color Puppeteer

Seven-Color Puppeteers are practitioners of ancient magic tied closely to conjuration. They summon unique dolls of their own creation from the very aether, controlling them adeptly with both their hands and minds. The best of seven-color puppeteers are masters of controlling many puppets at once.

Adaptation: Naturally, this class can be adapted to psionics; replace "summon monster" with "astral construct", in that case, and this class grants a +1 to manifester level (and other benefits) at every level. Doll abilities stack with astral construct base abilities. As far as requirements go, Use Psionic Device instead of UMD, and boost construct/skin of the construct for feats.

Hit Die: d4

Requirements
Skills: Craft(dollcraft) 8 ranks, Use Magic Device 4 ranks.
Feats: Augment Summoning, Imbue Summoning.
Spells: Able to cast Summon Monster III.

Seven-Color Puppeteer
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Knowledge(arcana), Perform, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.
Skill-points per level: 2+Int mod
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Summon Doll(tiny)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Doll Ability|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Doll Tactics|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Doll Ability|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Summon Doll(small), Quick Doll Summoning|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Doll Ability|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5||+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Doll Ability|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Summon Doll(medium)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Doll Ability, Maiden's Bunraku|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Seven-Color Puppeteers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spellcasting: At each class level, a seven-color puppeteer gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if they had also gained a level in a spellcasting class which they belonged to before adding the prestige class level. They do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of turning or destroying undead, a bonus feat, and so on). If they had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a seven-color puppeteer, they must decide which class to add each level for determining spells per day and spells known.

Summon Doll (Su)
At 1st level, the Seven-Colored Puppeteer gains the unique ability to summon dolls conjured from their imagination and given life through the energy of the multiverse. Whenever the seven-colored puppeteer casts a summon monster spell, they may choose to summon a Doll (see below). Unlike normal summoned creatures, they may only summon a number of dolls equal to one-half their seven-colored puppeteer level (minimum 1).
At 5th level, the seven-colored puppeteer's dolls' size increases to small. They gain the appropriate bonuses and penalties (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) for increasing size (including 10 bonus hp for increasing to small size).
At 9th level, the dolls' size increases to medium.

Doll statistics
{table=head]Spell level|Hit Dice|Initiative|Speed|Armor Class (mods)|Base Attack/Grapple|Attack|Full Attack|Space/Reach|Special Qualities|Saves|Abilities

1|2d10|+4|30 ft.|18 (+4 Dex, +2 Natural, +2 Size)|+1/-6|Slam +4 melee (1d4+1)|Slam +4 melee (1d4+1)|2½ ft./0 ft.|Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision|Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +0|Str 13, Dex 17, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 10

2|4d10|+4|30 ft.|19 (+4 Dex, +3 Natural, +2 Size)|+3/-4|Slam +6 melee (1d4+1)|Slam +6 melee (1d4+1)|2½ ft./0 ft.|Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision|Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +1|Str 13, Dex 19, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 10

3|6d10|+4|30 ft.|20 (+4 Dex, +4 Natural, +2 Size)|+4/-6|Slam +8 melee (1d4+2)|Slam +8 melee (1d4+2)|2½ ft./0 ft.|Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision|Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +1|Str 15, Dex 19, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 10

4|8d10|+4|30 ft.|22 (+4 Dex, +6 Natural, +2 Size)|+6/-6|Slam +10 melee (1d4+2)|Slam +10 melee (1d4+2)|2½ ft./0 ft.|Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision|Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +2|Str 15, Dex 19, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 10

5|10d10|+4|30 ft.|23 (+4 Dex, +7 Natural, +2 Size)|+7/-6|Slam +11 melee (1d4+2)|2 Slams +11 melee (1d4+2)|2½ ft./0 ft.|Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision|Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +3|Str 15, Dex 21, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 10

6|12d10|+4|40 ft.|24 (+4 Dex, +8 Natural, +2 Size)|+9/-6|Slam +14 melee (1d4+3)|2 Slams +14 melee (1d4+3)|2½ ft./0 ft.|Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision|Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +3|Str 17, Dex 21, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 10

7|14d10|+4|40 ft.|26 (+4 Dex, +10 Natural, +2 Size)|+10/-6|Slam +15 melee (1d4+3)|2 Slams +15 melee (1d4+3)|2½ ft./0 ft.|Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision|Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +4|Str 17, Dex 21, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 10

8|16d10|+4|40 ft.|27 (+4 Dex, +11 Natural, +2 Size)|+12/-6|Slam +17 melee (1d4+3)|2 Slams +17 melee (1d4+3)|2½ ft./0 ft.|Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision|Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +4|Str 17, Dex 23, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 10

9|18d10|+4|40 ft.|28 (+4 Dex, +12 Natural, +2 Size)|+13/-6|Slam +19 melee (1d4+4)|2 Slams +19 melee (1d4+4)|2½ ft./0 ft.|Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision|Fort +5, Ref +11, Will +5|Str 19, Dex 23, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 10[/table]

Doll Abilities:
At every even level, the Seven-Colored Puppeteer can choose one ability to which they can add to add to their dolls. Once they choose an ability, they can apply that ability to any of their dolls at will. However, they are limited by the spell level of the summoning spell they used: dolls summoned by summon monster I-III may only have one ability applied to them, dolls summoned by summon monster IV-VI may have two abilities applied, and dolls summoned by summon monster VII-IX may have three abilities applied.

On stacking abilities: The Seven-Colored Puppeteer's stacking abilities count as one ability; this includes overlaps, such as improved evasion.

Abilities:
Auto-Repair (Ex)
The doll gains fast healing 2 (despite being a construct). The seven-colored puppeteer must be 6th level or higher to choose this ability. This ability can be chosen multiple times, and its effects stack.

Damage Reduction (Ex)
The doll gains damage reduction equal to one-half the seven-colored puppeteer's class level. This damage reduction cannot be overcome. The seven-colored puppeteer must be 6th level or higher to choose this ability.

Doll Bullets (Su)
The doll gains the ability to use eldritch blast as a warlock with an equivalent level to the seven-colored puppeteer's class level. The seven-colored puppeteer must be 6th level or higher to choose this ability.

Doll's Challenge (Su)
The doll can supernaturally provoke a foe into attacking them, instead of another of the dolls, or more importantly, their master. The targeted creature must succeed at a Will save (DC 10 + seven-colored puppeteer level + seven-colored puppeteer's casting mod); if they succeed, they may attack as normal. However, if they fail, they must attack the doll for a number of rounds equal to the seven-colored puppeteer's class level. This otherwise works as the Test of Mettle Knight's Challenge ability. A single doll may only use this ability once per encounter. The seven-colored puppeteer must be 6th level or higher to choose this ability.

Doll's Defense (Ex)
The doll gains a bonus to its natural armor equal to the seven-colored puppeteer's class level. The seven-colored puppeteer must be 4th level or higher to choose this ability.

Doll's Dodge (Ex)
The doll gains a 10% miss chance. The seven-colored puppeteer can choose this ability multiple times, and its effects stack.

Doll's Flight (Su)
The doll gains a fly speed equal to their land speed with perfect maneuverability. The seven-colored puppeteer must possess the enhanced speed ability, and must by 6th level or higher to choose this ability.

Doll's Knowledge (Ex)
The doll gains a bonus feat for which it's qualified. This feat is chosen from the list of fighter bonus feats, and its effective fighter level is equal to the seven-colored puppeteer's caster level. This ability can be chosen multiple times.

Doll Weapons (Ex)
The doll is summoned with a manufactured weapon of the seven-colored puppeteer's choice. This weapon can be simple, martial, or exotic. The doll is automatically proficient in its use. The weapon disappears with the doll when it is destroyed or its duration expires.

Dynamo Dolls (Ex)
The doll's critical threat range for their slam increases to 18-20. The seven-colored puppeteer must be 4th level or higher to choose this ability.

Elemental Attack (Su)
On a melee attack, the doll also deals 1d6 energy damage of the seven-colored puppeteer's choice at the time of the summoning. This stacks with the flaming weapon quality.

Enhanced Ability (Ex)
The summoned doll gains a +2 bonus to Strength or Dexterity. This ability can be chosen multiple times, and its effects stack.

Enhanced Attack (Ex)
The damage the summoned dolls' slam does increases by one step. This can also be applied to the dolls held weapon, if the seven-colored puppeteer possesses that ability.

Enhanced Speed (Ex)
The doll's base speed increases by 10 feet. This ability can be chosen multiple times, and its effects stack.

Evasion (Ex)
The doll gains evasion, as the class ability. The seven-colored puppeteer must be 4th level or higher to choose this ability.

Explosive Nature (Ex)
When the doll is destroyed, they deal an amount of damage equal to 1d8 x the level of the spell they were summoned with in a 20 foot burst. For example, a doll summoned with Summon Monster IV deals 4d8 damage. Creatures in the area may attempt a Reflex save (DC 10 + seven-colored puppeteer level + the seven-colored puppeteer's casting mod) for half damage. The seven-colored puppeteer must be 8th level or higher to choose this ability.

Improved Dynamo Dolls (Ex)
The doll's critical modifier on their slam attacks increases to x3. The seven-colored puppeteer must possess the dynamo dolls ability to choose this ability.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
The doll gains improved evasion, as the class ability. The seven-colored puppeteer must possess the evasion ability, and must be 8th level or higher to choose this ability.

Improved Reactive Shield (Su)
The doll's reactive shield improves, dealing an additional 2d6 damage (4d6 total), and an additional effect depending on what energy type the seven-colored puppeteer chooses. There is no save to these effects.
Acid: The creature takes half the shield damage next round as well, even if they choose not to attack.
Cold: The creature's land speed decreases by 10 feet for 1 round.
Electricity: The creature is dazzled for 1 round.
Fire: The shield deals an additional 2d6 points of damage.
Sonic: The creature is deafened for 1 round.

Improved Toughness (Ex)
The doll gains 2 bonus hit points for every class level the seven-colored puppeteer possesses. The seven-colored puppeteer must possess the toughness ability to choose this ability.

Magic Weapons (Su)
The dolls' weapons gain an enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to half the seven-colored puppeteer's class level. The doll may reduce the bonus as appropriate for a weapon ability, provided the seven-colored puppeteer knows or has the prerequisite spell prepared (it isn't expended). The seven-colored puppeteer must possess the doll weapons ability to choose this ability.

Martial Ability (Ex or Su)
The doll gains the use of a single martial maneuver. The maneuver can be of a level of up to half the seven-colored puppeteer's class level (minimum 1), and can be used once per encounter. The doll's initiator level for maneuvers is equal to the seven-colored puppeteer's. This ability can be chosen multiple times; the doll must meet the prerequisites of a maneuver to use it.

Reactive Shield (Su)
Whenever a creature attacks the doll with a melee attack, they take 2d6 points of energy damage of the seven-colored puppeteer's choice (at the time of the summoning; the shield always does the same damage type from then on). Creatures with reach weapons are unaffected.

Resistant Doll (Ex)
The doll gains a resistance bonus to one save equal to half the seven-colored puppeteer's class level. The save is chosen at the casting of the spell.

Skillful Doll (Ex)
The doll gains a competence bonus to one skill (cannot be a trained skill) equal to the seven-colored puppeteer's class level. The skill is chosen at the casting of the spell.

Toughness (Ex)
The doll gains 10 hit points. This ability can be chosen multiple times, and its effects stack.

((Creator's Note: Feel free to come up with new abilities!))

Doll Tactics (Ex)
The dolls of a seven-colored puppeteer thrive on their ability to fight in groups. At 3rd level, when a doll is adjacent to one another, they each gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and armor class; this bonus stacks with as many dolls that can be adjacent to each other.

Quick Doll Summoning (Su)
At 5th level, the seven-colored puppeteer can more swiftly call upon their dolls. When using a summon monster spell to summon a doll, they only use a standard action to cast the spell.

Doll Barrier (Ex)
The dolls of a seven-colored puppeteer are mindless slaves of their masters will, and will leap in the way of danger, if need be. If a seven-colored puppeteer is adjacent to one or more dolls, they may be used to block an attack against them; melee or ranged attacks are redirected to the doll (who has -4 armor class against that attack), and the doll may even step in the way of area spells. The seven-colored puppeteer is treated as automatically succeeding on the reflex save, whereas the doll automatically fails -- with no benefit from improved evasion.

Maiden's Bunraku (Su)
At 10th level, the seven-colored puppeteer's may summon a puppet of greater strength than any of her others. Once per day, for a number of rounds equal to the seven-colored puppeteer's level (10), the seven-colored puppeteer can use summon monster spells as a move action when they're calling dolls. All dolls summoned in this manner act as if one spell level higher (summon monster V becomes summon monster VI); however, they may not multiple summon dolls from a lower spell level during the duration of this ability. Finally, they may also cast a summoning spell as an immediate action (again, as long as they summon a doll), however, the doll summoned is treated as being 3 levels weaker than it would be (accounting for the spell level boost above).
While in this state, the seven-colored puppeteer has no limit on the number of dolls they can summon. However, as soon as the duration expires, additional dolls past their normal limit are automatically dismissed.

Dairun Cates
2010-05-18, 07:03 PM
Really fun concept and flavor. Although, the capstone seems really easy to abuse and broken. Although, can put my finger on exactly why at the moment.

Definitely something I'd play or let a player play though.

Temotei
2010-05-18, 07:10 PM
Really fun concept and flavor. Although, the capstone seems really easy to abuse and broken. Although, can put my finger on exactly why at the moment.

Definitely something I'd play or let a player play though.

It would be a good thing against BBEGs, but otherwise, I don't think it's overpowered. Well, maybe it is, but hey. Capstone. Once per day. Reach the limit of your summons, use the ability, get an additional twenty summons, dismiss extras, etc.

Anyway, I was worried for a moment there. I thought you were going to make a color-based class. I'm making one right now. Of course, this is a prestige class, so that doesn't really matter (Mine's a base class). :smallbiggrin:

I didn't look through a lot of it, but I'll try to get to that.

Dairun Cates
2010-05-18, 08:00 PM
It would be a good thing against BBEGs, but otherwise, I don't think it's overpowered. Well, maybe it is, but hey. Capstone. Once per day. Reach the limit of your summons, use the ability, get an additional twenty summons, dismiss extras, etc.

Anyway, I was worried for a moment there. I thought you were going to make a color-based class. I'm making one right now. Of course, this is a prestige class, so that doesn't really matter (Mine's a base class). :smallbiggrin:

I didn't look through a lot of it, but I'll try to get to that.

I think it's a combination of:
1. Wizard/Cleric/Druid PrC don't typically need a powerful capstone since they keep caster progression and that's the big one.

2. Summoning 2 Level 9 monsters with 90 hp (and one lesser doll as an immediate action) a TURN that can shoot 10 hit dice eldritch blasts at will and two other nice abilities is... Well, a bit scary, even for two level 8 spells. You could do worse, but it's certainly a scary usage.

Temotei
2010-05-18, 08:10 PM
I think it's a combination of:
1. Wizard/Cleric/Druid PrC don't typically need a powerful capstone since they keep caster progression and that's the big one.

2. Summoning 2 Level 9 monsters with 90 hp (and one lesser doll as an immediate action) a TURN that can shoot 10 hit dice eldritch blasts at will and two other nice abilities is... Well, a bit scary, even for two level 8 spells. You could do worse, but it's certainly a scary usage.

Huh. That's probably my error.

Note: Never post until done reading. :smalltongue:

I didn't see the full casting progression. Yikes. Imbuing summons with nice abilities is...painful, as well.

Still pretty sweet though. :smallcool:

Like strawberries! :smallbiggrin: I don't like strawberries, but whatever.

Oh, and the eldritch blast can only go up to five hit dice, not ten. Your levels in this class are basically treated as warlock levels for that purpose, which gives you one die per two levels (except for the stupid skip at...11th level?).

Milskidasith
2010-05-18, 08:21 PM
Imbue with spell ability and the capstone are both broken for their ability to trample over the action economy like it fell over in Pamplona in early July.

Even without the capstone, you could easily do something like this:

Cast Summon Monster IX. Make 1d4+1 level 7 dolls. Add three ablilities and give them all a couple ninth level spells. One spell for decently powerful summons who can constantly fire off eldritch blasts and then two more spells cast in the same round is pretty broken.

With the capstone, you can summon 3d4+3 dolls per round (2d4+2 eighths and 1d4+1 4ths, assuming you use your ninth level spells) and give them all a few spells, which they all proceed to fire.

Yeah... it's nutty.

strawberryman
2010-05-18, 08:37 PM
Imbue with spell ability and the capstone are both broken for their ability to trample over the action economy like it fell over in Pamplona in early July.

Even without the capstone, you could easily do something like this:

Cast Summon Monster IX. Make 1d4+1 level 7 dolls. Add three ablilities and give them all a couple ninth level spells. One spell for decently powerful summons who can constantly fire off eldritch blasts and then two more spells cast in the same round is pretty broken.

With the capstone, you can summon 3d4+3 dolls per round (2d4+2 eighths and 1d4+1 4ths, assuming you use your ninth level spells) and give them all a few spells, which they all proceed to fire.

Yeah... it's nutty.

Well, hey, it makes danmaku. :smallwink:

Could always remove the ability to summon multiples during the capstone, however, the ability to summon instantly/quicker only goes so far within the limits of spells/day, unless I'm missing something from Imbue With Spell Ability (in that it still uses that prepared spell/spell slot for the day).

Milskidasith
2010-05-18, 09:02 PM
Well, hey, it makes danmaku. :smallwink:

Could always remove the ability to summon multiples during the capstone, however, the ability to summon instantly/quicker only goes so far within the limits of spells/day, unless I'm missing something from Imbue With Spell Ability (in that it still uses that prepared spell/spell slot for the day).

Nova-ing and breaking the action economy is still breaking the action economy. Sure, it burns spells fast, but at that level you don't tend to run out of spells too quickly. It doesn't help that you can cast a ninth level spell in order to cast 2-5 more spells *and* get some fairly good summons with other abilities.

Yes, you wind up using your spells faster, but *all* action economy breaking techniques do that, and it is *always* bad for balance to say "OK, I've got between 6 and 15 extra spells cast this round, and I can keep doing that every round for ten rounds" because you can beat any encounter, and, being a wizard, just rope trick to rest up if you really need to.

strawberryman
2010-05-18, 09:09 PM
So, it would help to have some clarification on whether those fixes would be effective or not. :smalltongue:

EDIT: ...apparently I missed some of the specifics on Imbue With Spell Ability, so... that's under revision at the moment.

EDIT!!: So, yeah. Removed Greater/Imbue with Spell Ability for two new abilities, and specified that you cannot use the multi-summoning ability while under Maiden's Bunraku.