PDA

View Full Version : [Mutants and Masterminds] Advice to a GM new to the system?

mabriss lethe
2010-05-18, 09:09 PM
Just like the title says: I'm more than likely going to be starting an M&M game in the next few weeks. I'm still looking over the core ruleset, but it looks like a rather nicely laid out system. I'm just wondering if other M&M GMs have discovered any pitfalls to avoid or maybe just some general pointers for things that might slip the mind of someone new to the system.

Thinker
2010-05-18, 09:19 PM
Just like the title says: I'm more than likely going to be starting an M&M game in the next few weeks. I'm still looking over the core ruleset, but it looks like a rather nicely laid out system. I'm just wondering if other M&M GMs have discovered any pitfalls to avoid or maybe just some general pointers for things that might slip the mind of someone new to the system.

Pay attention to what the book says could break your game. They generally know what they're talking about.

Kiroth6
2010-05-18, 09:24 PM
I'll second what the guy above says.
More specifically, don't let people go crazy on the alternate power feat.
Don't house rule away the caps on trade offs, they are there for a reason.
Remember your setting and play to its strengths.

JeminiZero
2010-05-18, 10:11 PM
As far as game-breakers go, I recommend all DMs read the The Limits of PL (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31064&hilit=Limits+of+PL).

As a newbie, I recommend you (and any other players new to the system), read up on the 3 sample fights (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=24919) in the second block of links, to get a feel of how combat flows.

Dairun Cates
2010-05-18, 11:38 PM
PL8 is actually probably the most fun PL. It has its limits without making the players suck. PL6 if you feel low powered, PL4 if you feel like secret agent/SHIELD types, PL10 if you feel like veteran or powerful heroes.

Villains generally should be 2 PL higher than the party for minor bosses (Think weaker power rangers minions). 2-4PL lower for minions. 4 PL higher for session bosses. 6 PL for maybe a mid-campaign, and 8-10 PL higher for campaign ending bosses.

Although, this depends heavily on party size, but you REALLY shouldn't ever go over PL 20 for ANYTHING. If you feel like it, have them fight more than one villain or a team.

Remember to give out Hero points for fun or heroic actions. Don't be too stingy. They're the backbone of the system, and you don't want players to feel like they REQUIRE the Lucky feat to succeed. Likewise, don't give them out too much or your players will steamroll the bosses. 2-3 a session is a pretty good sweetspot for most sessions. Always give out 1-2 before major bosses.

Read the rules pretty thoroughly, rules misunderstandings can wreck the game.

Try to limit game break powers that require stupid high saves like Gravity control (DC 5 strength check PER LEVEL). If you do allow powers like that, don't allow selective as a power feat.

Hmm... Let's see. Oh yeah. Have fun and make sure the players have fun. Get creative with bosses, have reoccuring villains, allow for cheesy monologues and heroic antics. Oh, and search for AtomicThinkTank and go through some of the character creation threads (especially MDSnowman's) for ideas on how to build characters and some of the wacky combos you can pull off. Helped me a lot when I did my PL8 campaign.

mabriss lethe
2010-05-19, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll put all those links on the To Do list.

I possibly should have mentioned the type of game I'm shooting for. A Venture Bros, Guild of Calamitous Intent style villains game.

I really really want to see the look on my players' faces the first time I make them save vs things like ' spouting long winded monologue.' and 'using an improbable deathtrap when it would be far easier to put a bullet between his eyes" I may roll randomly on the Evil Overlord list to keep things fresh.

JohnnyCancer
2010-05-19, 04:26 PM
Try a PL10 game first. If everyone has a blast, keep going. If you find that it goes out of hand and out of control, go lower until you get the hang of it. You can bribe the players with Hero Points to let you get the story back on rails for a bit.

Arakune
2010-05-19, 04:31 PM
Ask the players to be nice on power selection/abuse. And if they do it by COMPLETE accident (it can happen) DON'T just take away their powers or force then to "forget" their ability on the first opportunity. Find a way to challenge him with something other than his power/ability or if the enemy that can actually challenge him far outclass the other players make then do something else at the time, or something else.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-19, 04:33 PM
PL8 is actually probably the most fun PL. It has its limits without making the players suck. PL6 if you feel low powered, PL4 if you feel like secret agent/SHIELD types, PL10 if you feel like veteran or powerful heroes.

Villains generally should be 2 PL higher than the party for minor bosses (Think weaker power rangers minions). 2-4PL lower for minions. 4 PL higher for session bosses. 6 PL for maybe a mid-campaign, and 8-10 PL higher for campaign ending bosses.

Although, this depends heavily on party size, but you REALLY shouldn't ever go over PL 20 for ANYTHING. If you feel like it, have them fight more than one villain or a team.

Remember to give out Hero points for fun or heroic actions. Don't be too stingy. They're the backbone of the system, and you don't want players to feel like they REQUIRE the Lucky feat to succeed. Likewise, don't give them out too much or your players will steamroll the bosses. 2-3 a session is a pretty good sweetspot for most sessions. Always give out 1-2 before major bosses.

Read the rules pretty thoroughly, rules misunderstandings can wreck the game.

Try to limit game break powers that require stupid high saves like Gravity control (DC 5 strength check PER LEVEL). If you do allow powers like that, don't allow selective as a power feat.

Hmm... Let's see. Oh yeah. Have fun and make sure the players have fun. Get creative with bosses, have reoccuring villains, allow for cheesy monologues and heroic antics. Oh, and search for AtomicThinkTank and go through some of the character creation threads (especially MDSnowman's) for ideas on how to build characters and some of the wacky combos you can pull off. Helped me a lot when I did my PL8 campaign.

You'd pit a PL8 group against a PL18 villain? Couldn't he just max out his Defense stats and be utterly untouchable, with points left over for attacks?

Arakune
2010-05-19, 04:38 PM
You'd pit a PL8 group against a PL18 villain? Couldn't he just max out his Defense stats and be utterly untouchable, with points left over for attacks?

That, and him destroying city blocks just by looking funny at them. And you are dammed if he actually uses the progression feat for... anything, really.

Hell, at PL 10 you can make shapeable, undodgeable, armor piercing (that extra that let's you ignore impervious) attacks with range placed in miles at least AND the ability to accurately hit things with it.

As a free action if you are feeling particularly mean.

Kiroth6
2010-05-19, 04:46 PM
Try a PL10 game first. If everyone has a blast, keep going. If you find that it goes out of hand and out of control, go lower until you get the hang of it. You can bribe the players with Hero Points to let you get the story back on rails for a bit.

Actually I'd suggest going lower like PL 6 or 8 if you're doing the Guild of Calamitous Intent. Venture brothers usually has powers coupled with horrible crippling flaws. I know MD snowman has done a Monarch build so you can use that as an example. If they're lower PL they are more likely to take those flaws to get extra villain points including to tendency to monologue on their own. That way you have something to build to this way.

Depends on how tough you want your end of game boss to be. Our group took it as a challenge and pulled out all the stops. Also a boss like that should be rewarded with hero points accordingly. The harder the fight the more hero points you should give them. You'd be suprised how much it can level the playing field.

EDIT:

Also as a GM, why exactly would you try and make a villain that is impossible to defeat? The range of PL allows you to make a jack of all trades villain that will still be a significant challenge to the party. Just because you can be a jerk with it, doesn't mean that you should.