PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Weapon/Two-Weapon interaction

Jozluz
2010-05-18, 09:52 PM
Greetings good people of the internet;

So, as you can probably tell from the topic title, I was wondering if there was some kind of general consensus as to how feats like Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Defense, and Over-Sized Two-Weapon Fighting work with Multi-Weapon Fighting on a character with more than two arms. does Over-Sized Two-Weapon Fighting apply to weapons held in all off hands or just one? and can the character still take Improved and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting? I'm mostly unsure because most of those feats say 'the off hand' or 'when wielding two weapons' or something similar and while I'd like it if I could have a character with a lot of attacks with one-handed weapons acting as light weapons, I didn't want to build a character like that if it was 'against the rules.' I hope this isn't a stupid question; I'm just looking for a little clarification.

Thanks

AslanCross
2010-05-18, 09:56 PM
Two-Weapon Fighting is only for characters with two hands. Once a creature has more than two-hands, Multiweapon Fighting takes its place. The other TWF tree feats are simply replaced with MWF versions thereof. A creature with more than two limbs cannot take TWF feats, but all instances of TWF feats are simply "Multiweapon Defense" and "Oversized Multiweapon Fighting."

Besides, doesn't the Marilith already use multiple one-handed weapons? It seems it doesn't have the same "light weapons get the least penalty" for secondary weapons.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-18, 10:07 PM
When I DM, I combine both feat trees into one, because it's just stupid otherwise.

Jozluz
2010-05-18, 10:13 PM
I guess that should've been obvious; I think my confusion came from the MWF feat saying that it replaced TWF, and I thought that meant that it counted as TWF for the character. Thanks for the quick response :smallsmile:

P.S. what do you know, it was a stupid question!

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-19, 02:26 PM
Besides, doesn't the Marilith already use multiple one-handed weapons? It seems it doesn't have the same "light weapons get the least penalty" for secondary weapons.

Yes, but it has a special natural ability to do so.

Feats
In combination with its natural abilities, a marilith’s Multiweapon Fighting feat allows it to attack with all its arms at no penalty.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-19, 04:06 PM
Similar question:

I have a (3.5) thri-kreen ranger with the two-weapon track. I also took multiweapon fighting, and am using two gythkas (double weapons for thri-kreen). How would two-weapon fighting, multiweapon fighting, and double weapons interact (thri-kreen can use gythkas like they already have TWF).
-Xavez

Gauntlet
2010-05-19, 04:13 PM
If you want to use four weapons (even if they're four ends of two double weapons) you need Multiweapon fighting. Two-weapon fighting won't help you there, unless you want to use your 4 arms for two two-handed weapons.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-20, 01:31 PM
If you want to use four weapons (even if they're four ends of two double weapons) you need Multiweapon fighting. Two-weapon fighting won't help you there, unless you want to use your 4 arms for two two-handed weapons.

Ah. Is there, say an Improved Multiweapon/Greater Multiweapon?
-Xavez

Divide by Zero
2010-05-20, 03:44 PM
Ah. Is there, say an Improved Multiweapon/Greater Multiweapon?
-Xavez

Yes. They're identical to the Two-Weapon versions in every way except for the number of weapons, which I still think is really stupid.

NEO|Phyte
2010-05-20, 03:56 PM
Yes. They're identical to the Two-Weapon versions in every way except for the number of weapons, which I still think is really stupid.
They aren't identical, they have higher BAB requirements.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-21, 01:44 PM
They aren't identical, they have higher BAB requirements.

And the BAB requirements are...
-Xavez

Greenish
2010-05-21, 02:18 PM
And the BAB requirements are...
-Xavez9 and 15. It's all there in the manual (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsterFeats.htm).

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-21, 02:24 PM
9 and 15. It's all there in the manual (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsterFeats.htm).

Thanks.
-Xavez

Jozluz
2010-05-22, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the link
Are there specific rules for Multi-Weapon Defense or Over-Sized MWF? Because I can't seem to find those.