PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragon Ball-Community Project

Lev
2010-05-19, 01:32 AM
So I was thinking, somewhat like DM of the rings except instead of using LotR we use Dragon Ball, the original, I wouldn't touch DBZ with a 10' pole which ironically is the original Goku's weapon of choice.

How interested is everyone on scale 1-5?

RdMarquis
2010-05-19, 01:39 AM
It could work, but you might have trouble translating the later episodes to D&D mechanics. Then there's the matter of the futuristic setting and the character classes. I wouldn't say that they're all Monks. I've been reading the Tome of Battle, and a couple of Swordsage abilities look like they might fit. Good luck, anyway.

Lev
2010-05-19, 01:54 AM
Well, let's start with a simple character list:
Goku Monk/Ki Fighter
Bulma Rogue
Krillin Monk/Rogue
Chiaotzu Psionic
Tien Sorcerer/Monk
Master Roshi Fighter/Monk
Yamcha Fighter
Grandpa Gohan Monk/Drunken Master
Oolong Warshaper
Puar *special framiliar?
Yajirobe Samurai

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-19, 04:51 AM
It could work, but you might have trouble translating the later episodes to D&D mechanics.

It doesn't have to be D&D, it just has to be LIKE D&D. Looks at Darths and Droids (not sure about DM of the Rings, never read that) and similar; they never reveal the system they're using and there's some evidence they AREN'T using D&D (classes, equipment).

Tyrandar
2010-05-19, 04:55 AM
I think any that even remotely resembled DM of the Rings would rule.

However, I have only had experience with one episode of DBZ which was a failure of epic proportions. So I couldn't be much help. :smallannoyed:

Lev
2010-05-19, 12:34 PM
I think any that even remotely resembled DM of the Rings would rule.

However, I have only had experience with one episode of DBZ which was a failure of epic proportions. So I couldn't be much help. :smallannoyed:
DB is to DBZ as a milkshake is to a meat milkshake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball

The series begins with a monkey-tailed boy named Goku befriending a teenage girl named Bulma, and together they go on a quest to find the seven magic Dragon Balls. Along the way, they meet and befriend a plethora of martial artists. Goku also undergoes rigorous training regimes and educational programs in order to fight in the World Martial Arts Tournament, a competition involving the most powerful fighters in the world. Outside the tournaments, Goku faces diverse villains such as Emperor Pilaf, the Red Ribbon Army, the demon Piccolo Daimao and his offspring Piccolo Jr., who eventually becomes Goku's ally.[1]
This is Dragon Ball.

After Dragon Ball ends Dragon Ball Z begins like this:

As a young adult, Goku meets his older brother Raditz, who tells him that they come from a race of extraterrestrials called Saiyans. The Saiyans had sent Goku to Earth as an infant to conquer the planet for them, but he suffered a severe head injury soon after his arrival and lost all memory of his mission. Goku refuses to help Raditz continue the mission, after which he begins to encounter other enemies from space, most notably the Saiyan prince Vegeta, who becomes his rival and, eventually, his ally as well. He later encounters Frieza, the galactic tyrant responsible for the destruction of the Saiyan race, whose actions cause Goku to transform into a legendary Super Saiyan. After an epic battle on the planet Namek, Goku defeats Frieza, avenging the lives of millions across the universe.[2]

Four years later, a group of androids from the former Red Ribbon Army appear, seeking revenge against Goku. During this time, an evil life form called Cell emerges and, after absorbing two of the androids to increase his power, holds his own martial arts tournament to decide the fate of the Earth, but is eventually defeated by Goku's first child Son Gohan. Seven years later, Goku is drawn into another battle for the universe against an extraterrestrial named Majin Buu. Joined by Vegeta and Gohan, Goku succeeds in destroying the evil half of Buu and the good half of Buu settles down with them. Ten years later, at another World Martial Arts Tournament, Goku meets the evil Buu's human reincarnation, Uub. At the end of the series, Goku takes Uub away on a journey to train him as the Earth's next defender.[3]

So as you can see Dragon Ball is a classical story shonen adventure about a boy who will rise to be the best martial artist in the world, it has the BEST montage of any monk training I've ever seen in any media, and has such amazing and colorful classical Chinese mythology in it.

Where as DBZ is like if Scientology bought the production studio.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-19, 01:24 PM
Guys...Don't be hating of DBZ...

It brought us DBZ abridged, which is awesome.:smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-19, 02:19 PM
I liked DBZ, I don't care what you guys say. Yes it took them a month of episodes to get things done but it was still awesome.

Lev
2010-05-19, 02:41 PM
I enjoyed DBZ quite a bit, at times, ESPECIALLY the whole Hercule, Saiya Man and Videl silliness, but it just wouldn't make a very good story based campaign... it would make it look like a bunch of minmax players all playing the same build, a DM who sets up deus ex machina for everything letting the players just go into a machine to gain levels or get beaten up to gain levels, or die to gain levels, and having 75% of the players level 10-15 and the rest level 18-20+

snoopy13a
2010-05-19, 02:42 PM
From the title, I thought this thread would be about a formal dance with elves, halflings, dwarves, and gnomes :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2010-05-21, 06:04 PM
I enjoyed DBZ quite a bit, at times, ESPECIALLY the whole Hercule, Saiya Man and Videl silliness, but it just wouldn't make a very good story based campaign... it would make it look like a bunch of minmax players all playing the same build, a DM who sets up deus ex machina for everything letting the players just go into a machine to gain levels or get beaten up to gain levels, or die to gain levels, and having 75% of the players level 10-15 and the rest level 18-20+I think Eragon would make a better target for this. I swear, my reaction to the third book was "the DM realises that allowing a gestalt druid//erudite in a non-gestalt campaign wasn't such a good idea and starts nerfing things heavy-handedly". Suddenly all the soldiers Eragon meets are inexplicably warded against magic, and people with mind blank and nondetection show up to counter his scry-and-die tactics. Oh, and he stops getting the opportunity to rest and recover his spells.

EDIT: Or Fate/stay night - I had ideas for this before. Archer's player is a munchkin who was told to play a ranger, the DM never explicitly telling him to pick the archery combat style (http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/Motivators/motivator5966329.jpg). Eventually the DM gets fed up with his shenanigans and says "Berserkers fall, you die". He begs to be let back in, so the DM gives him Shirou on the condition that he doesn't turn him into his old character. Also, Saber's player is black for some reason I can't remember.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-21, 06:07 PM
I like the idea. I enjoyed the original Dragon Ball series a lot. This would be amusing.

RandomNPC
2010-05-23, 07:46 PM
I think Eragon would make a better target for this. I swear, my reaction to the third book was "the DM realises that allowing a gestalt druid//erudite in a non-gestalt campaign wasn't such a good idea and starts nerfing things heavy-handedly". Suddenly all the soldiers Eragon meets are inexplicably warded against magic, and people with mind blank and nondetection show up to counter his scry-and-die tactics. Oh, and he stops getting the opportunity to rest and recover his spells.

So you think if the enemy knows magic is being used against them, and detecting them is enough to target them, it's still not ok to have the enemy prepare against it? at that point in the story the bbeg knew everyone who wasnt wared like that was toast anyway.

also, the second book was so bad I refused to touch the third. seriously, haven't even picked it up.

Cobalt
2010-05-23, 08:11 PM
From the title, I thought this thread would be about a formal dance with elves, halflings, dwarves, and gnomes :smallbiggrin:

Heh heh... So did I. Which, depending on how well it was done, might have actually been better than what is actually being discussed.

But yeah, this would be absolutely awesome if it's made. Dragon Ball parodies are always funny, and in the style of DM of the Rings would = win off the scale.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-23, 09:07 PM
Heh heh... So did I. Which, depending on how well it was done, might have actually been better than what is actually being discussed.

But yeah, this would be absolutely awesome if it's made. Dragon Ball parodies are always funny, and in the style of DM of the Rings would = win off the scale.

To be honest, DBZ parodies get old after a while. A DB Parody, though? I'd read it.