PDA

View Full Version : new e6 game

riddles
2010-05-19, 04:50 AM
i've joining our new e6 game this weekend.

it's a sandbox style game with the following restrictions:
triple exp costs - levelling up every 6-8 sessions
22 point buy
no spell compendium to begin with
to get a feat, you need to find someone to teach it to you or practise it extensively while you are levelling

so it's going to be difficult. we currently have a gnome sorceror and a half-elf ranger, who won't be that powerful.

i like to contribute to the party but not overshadow the others - a god like character or skillful character that will have the juice to bust up an encounter every now and then.

I have 3 ideas:
mini-supermount - paladin 5/beastmaster 1. i will suck until around level 4 wheni can get mounted arachery (paladin variant), and will still not be great until i get the beastmaster level and devoted tracker at 6. but with the first feat after 6, i will have an 8HD mount with some good bonuses.

psychic warrior - probably the easiest way to work in the system - psionic body and psionic talent for lots of hp and pp. probably going with claws of the beast to get 2 attacks, vigor and hustle as main powers

bard - lots of skills, no need for a huge CHA except for spells, and optimise-fu for inspire courage (i can still get +4 or +5 with the right items i think).

i get the feeling this will be less a combat campaign and more an explore, adventure, run the hell away when we go to the wrong area campaign.

anyone got ideas as to where i can go with this?

Yora
2010-05-19, 05:31 AM
You have a sorcerer, so there will be at least one character with a good Charisma score. The ranger will be good at scouting and tracking.

So if you expect to not see that much combat, think about what thing you want to be good at.

A paladin or bard would make a good leader and negotiator.
A rogue could specialize in building and disarming traps, picking locks, and information gathering.
Both cleric and druid could be very useful, and in an e6 game that is not combat heavy, they wouldn't overshadow all other characters all the time. you don't have that many spells and most metamagic feats are unavailable or unaffordable to use.

Wizard would be rather redundant, and there wouldn't be that much to do with a fighter, barbarian, or monk.

If you really expect to not need much direct combat abilities, you maybe could go with an Expert and make him a scholar with lots of skill points in Knowledge, Profession, and Speak Language. Wouldn't be much fun if you mostly go monster hunting at higher levels, but in a low-combat e6 game, it might be rather interesting to play.

riddles
2010-05-19, 06:03 AM
i think i need to clarify. i think the dm expects a lower combat game. the sorceror and ranger will have other ideas, leading probably to death.

the point is, i would need a build useful at all levels because it's going to take an AGE to level.

and with a lack of spellcasting, due to lower numbers of spell slots - i'm thinking skillful character might be the way to go.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-19, 06:25 AM
First of all, Mystic Ranger (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) (page 91) is highly recommended, especially for E6, unless he wants to focus on melee. From level 2 on he'll have the same level spells as the Sorcerer, though fewer of them.

Warblade would be a good choice for a beefy character, plus you'll get plenty of skill points. Take Steel Wind for one of your maneuvers, and I'd go Human with Power Attack and Cleave.

Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) makes an excellent skillmonkey, especially with domains like Trickery and Kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) and/or Whispered Secrets, the Vecna initiate feat in Races of Destiny. Trade the Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion and you'll be a capable combatant as well.

Factotum is probably the best class for a skillful character, and it makes a very capable combatant. Be sure to get Knowledge Devotion, and I'd probably go sword-and-board with it for this game.

riddles
2010-05-20, 04:51 PM
going to go with a bard. will play a skald type, had a bardbarian build in my back pocket for a while.

1. Bard - power attack, lingering song
2. Bard
3. Bard - song of the heart
4. Barbarian
5. Bard
6. Bard - extra rage

extra feats: extra music, extra spell, battle caster (because i'm not going to get my hands on mithril most likely), skill boosting feats. can't really think of much else

spells: inspirational boost at lv1, mirror image at lv2. fairly open otherwise. more likely to take utility spells - alarm and such

skill focus: diplomacy, bluff, sense motive, intimidate (from the barbarian level), perform, tumble, knowledge (local and nobility), sleight of hand

that's 8 skills with 8 ranks and intimidate with 6 from the barbarian level. may drop some rnks in knowledge for perform and social skills as taking them for the synergy bonuses. in fact, synergy may be the name of the game here, being an all round skill monkey.