PDA

View Full Version : fighter boosting.

deephelldragon
2010-05-19, 07:06 AM
I have in my group two wizards and I am the only fighter they say that they are trying to find spells to boost me up but weaken the enemy so any suggestions as to how to do that and we are level 10.

Prodan
2010-05-19, 07:07 AM
Polymorph.

deephelldragon
2010-05-19, 07:12 AM
Polymorph.

Ya polymorph is a good spell but is there anything else all books are availible so you can get as creative as you want.

Eldariel
2010-05-19, 07:15 AM
For forms, just from core, e.g. 12-Headed Hydra is good (you get all the natural attacks and such), as is Remorhaz. Trolls and Giants are fair brawlers and so on, but Magical Beast-forms really shine (Outsiders rock too, but you need to have Outsider-type for access to them). Yeah, by far the best buff-spell ever printed anywhere.

Other spells of interest:
- Greater Magic Weapon (should always be cast in the morning, preferably with caster level buffs to reach +3/+3; Beads of Karma would do that)
- Enlarge Person (10 min/level, should be in effect most of the time)
- Heroism (begins to be affordable around now)
- Haste (duh; great opener for combat, although sorta waste with only one Fighter)

Debuffs:
- Slow
- Glitterdust
- Stinking Cloud
- Evard's Black Tentacles
- Ray of Exhaustion (insane)
- Ray of Enfeeblement
- Enervation (particularly Empowered; note, Negative Level is just -5 HP, -1 to level-dependent stuff and such and loss of highest level spell)

And of course, things like Dimension Dooring you next to opponent to allow full attack and such work, as does summoning flankers/trippers/etc. and Dispelling opponent's protections/buffs and so on.

Prodan
2010-05-19, 07:16 AM
Instead of Haste, maybe Snake's Swiftness?

deephelldragon
2010-05-19, 07:17 AM
Ya all of those spells are good.

kamikasei
2010-05-19, 07:20 AM
Enlarge Person.
(Greater) Heroism.
Haste.
<Animal>'s <Attribute>.
Fly.
(Greater) Magic Weapon.

deephelldragon
2010-05-19, 07:35 AM
any other ones that are not in the players handbook that could help.

Boci
2010-05-19, 07:38 AM
Ray of clumsiness is a good no save version of slow that affects a single target. Its mind affecting, but still useful.

deephelldragon
2010-05-19, 07:46 AM
Ray of clumsiness

What does that take down stat wise.

Gnaeus
2010-05-19, 07:53 AM
It is ray of enfeeblement, but for dex.

deephelldragon
2010-05-19, 07:54 AM
It is ray of enfeeblement, but for dex.

Thanks for clearing that up.

gbprime
2010-05-19, 08:33 AM
Dolorous Blow - double weapon's threat range, auto confirm crits, 3rd level

Indomitability is an option, which makes you unkillable for a few critical seconds, 5th level spell.

If your group can get their hands on an item of Spell Storing so that you can be the caster of a spell they place in it for you, the buffs the wizards can put on you expand considerably. Heart of Earth or Nightstalker Transformation, for example.

Gnaeus
2010-05-19, 08:36 AM
Heroics (SPC): Gives you a free feat for 10 min/level. If, as you say, ALL books are in play, this is usually Martial Study or Martial Stance from ToB. Even if ToB is out, it is still a good feat.

Deeper Darkvision (SPC). Get a cleric to cast Deeper Darkness (it lasts for days, so you can probably do this in town) on a rock you wear around your neck, with a bag around it. When you go into combat, take off the bag. Buffed by Deeper Darkvision, you and your similarly buffed allies can see through the darkness, but your target suffers from miss chances on all his attacks. Ebon Eyes does this also at lower level, but with lower duration, and doesn't actually let you see in the dark, only ignore the Darkness spell effect.

Quick Potion (SPC) This lets them cast the buff they want to use hours before combat, then you drink it as a potion, so they can cast other spells in combat. (Note, if you have an extra feat available, this combines very well with the Delay Potion feat from CM, so they cast swift potion to make a short duration potion of any buff, then you drink it, and activate it as a free action hours later).

Eldariel
2010-05-19, 08:45 AM
Greater Mighty Wallop [RoTD] is great if you wield Bludgeoning weapons. Keen Edges is obv a useful spell from PHB. Protections like Resist Energy, Protection from Evil and such are obviously handy. "Disobedience" [Complete Scoundrel] is an excellent protection too, and hour/level to boot. There's of course Greater Resistance [Spell Compendium] and its latter Superior companion (level 6 spell) that you'll probably want to know. Heroics [SpC] is excellent too, as is Quick Potion [SpC] if you're into that sort of thing.

Really, just read Playing a God (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0); it lists most important buff spells.

Boci
2010-05-19, 09:01 AM
Dammit I always get those two mixed up. I meant ray of dizziness, a single target slow affect with no save. But ray of clumsiness is good as well.

Cyclocone
2010-05-19, 10:27 AM
Sakkratars Tripple Strike (LEoF) -Hasted Haste +Keen Edge and on fire.

Ingus
2010-05-19, 11:06 AM
For evil spellcasters: Blades of Blood. Swift action, 1round/level your weapon does +1d6 damage, or +3d6 if spellcaster accept 5hp damage. Range close.

Displacement: enemy misses you 50% of times. My bard saved many friends this way

deephelldragon
2010-05-19, 12:28 PM
these are very good spells i just got back from the meeting and we did some good stuff so thanks anything else would be usefull thanks again everybody.