PDA

View Full Version : More party creation/balance 3.5

Project_Mayhem
2010-05-19, 09:57 AM
My last thread about this fell to it's doom, so I can't add the next set of questions on the end. Blast.

Long story short - Escape from Ravenloft, 6 PCs at lv. 6, not much experience running DnD.

At the moment, I have a few queries. One player wants to play a Warforged crusader. Unfortunately, he got the idea of an 8/9 foot tall hulking behemoth into his head, and the Warforged Charger appears to suck. It's also packing 4rhd and 4 la, making it impossible to fit into the game level. Question is then, is there a better way to model a large sentient construct? Or is he going to have to small down his concept?

Aaand, on the subject of warforged, exactly what does immune to energy drain cover? Is that level drain?

Finally, I'm making the druid play the shapeshifting variant. I know it's supposed to replace wildshape and the animal companion - If I let her have the companion as well under the condition that she won't be able to replace it during the game time, is that more powerful than an ordinary druid?

Theodoxus
2010-05-19, 10:05 AM
Not sure about the warforged Q's...

But for the druid, I houseruled the companion back. I understand the idea was to tone down the power of the druid, but removing the AC seem gratuitous.

Shapeshift is markedly less powerful, though probably more utilitarian than Wild Shape. That was a sufficient nerf. The fact that it's available at 1st rather than 5th wasn't - imo - enough to remove the companion.

Now, that being said, I also swapped Ranger and Druid companion access (though I made the druid a straight Level -3, rather than half level). So... maybe that's something more of a compromise (not necessarily for the ranger - but grant the AC to the druid as per ranger).

Gnaeus
2010-05-19, 10:13 AM
Shapeshift is markedly less powerful, though probably more utilitarian than Wild Shape. That was a sufficient nerf. The fact that it's available at 1st rather than 5th wasn't - imo - enough to remove the companion.

It is in no way more utilitarian than wild shape. You can't Burrow, Climb, or Swim. You can't use Enhance Wild Shape to get Scent, Blindsight, better vision or any other Ex abilities. You can't even turn into a flying form and hover over the battlefield while retaining the ability to cast.

Edit: Sorry, forgot some. You can't turn into a small or tiny creature to sneak around. You can't turn into a large flying creature, in the event that you wanted to carry other party members over an obstacle.

Finally, I'm making the druid play the shapeshifting variant. I know it's supposed to replace wildshape and the animal companion - If I let her have the companion as well under the condition that she won't be able to replace it during the game time, is that more powerful than an ordinary druid?

If you let her have the full normal companion with no restrictions, it is still significantly weaker than an ordinary druid.

Eldariel
2010-05-19, 10:17 AM
At the moment, I have a few queries. One player wants to play a Warforged crusader. Unfortunately, he got the idea of an 8/9 foot tall hulking behemoth into his head, and the Warforged Charger appears to suck. It's also packing 4rhd and 4 la, making it impossible to fit into the game level. Question is then, is there a better way to model a large sentient construct? Or is he going to have to small down his concept?

You could let him pick the Regional "Jotunbrud"-feat, which effectively gives you Powerful Build. Normally Human-only and FR-specific, but make an exception. It seems like exactly what he wants. Alternatively, get him casting and Alter Self him into Warforged Charger.

Aaand, on the subject of warforged, exactly what does immune to energy drain cover? Is that level drain?

Among others, yeah. Energy drain is pretty much "negative levels" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#energyDrained), so he's immune to that.

Druid-questions already seem sufficiently covered; yeah, Shapeshifting is weaker than Wildshaping regardless of AC. Shapeshift is a nerf for Druids. Can't cast while Shapeshifted, it doesn't give you stacking bonuses, etc. Just not all that impressive overall, though a very useful nerf.

Project_Mayhem
2010-05-19, 10:18 AM
Hmm, that's good. She seemed very enthusiastic about playing the character, and I didn't want to put her off just because she couldn't have the snow leopard she wanted. Ace. One problem down.

Edit: that feat could work actually - I'll have to fiddle it so that either it or adamantine body applies retroactively, as warforged only get one feat at level one. Still, that could be useful.

Also - nice choice on his part then, given practically everything in Barovia causes level drain. I guess he'll have to content himself with being considered a bigger threat by the villain :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2010-05-19, 10:25 AM
Edit: that feat could work actually - I'll have to fiddle it so that either it or adamantine body applies retroactively, as warforged only get one feat at level one. Still, that could be useful.

You could offer them all extra Regional feat on level 1 or extra feats over the progression or ability to use Flaws or whatever; I find you tend to get way too little feats and I've never looked back after pumping a couple of extras over the progression.

Also - nice choice on his part then, given practically everything in Barovia causes level drain. I guess he'll have to content himself with being considered a bigger threat by the villain :smallbiggrin:

I'm sure he's thrilled about that prospect :smallbiggrin:

Project_Mayhem
2010-05-19, 10:43 AM
Not too hot on flaws conceptually - however, I have no problem adding free feats so yeah.

Draz74
2010-05-19, 11:22 AM
It is in no way more utilitarian than wild shape.

It clearly IS more utilitarian than wild shape in precisely two ways:

Available before Level 5
Usable infinite times per day