PDA

View Full Version : (D&D 3.5) Large Weapon question

Talon Sky
2010-05-19, 12:50 PM
One of my players had a question and I wasn't quite sure the answer to it. He plays a medium sized creature, but was wondering if he could by a one-handed weapon (like a longsword, for example) at large size for the extra damage and simply use the weapon two handed.

My initial answer was no, but the more that I'm thinking about it, I really don't see why not. Any advice? I usually like to reward creative ideas and thinking, but this might by more of a power-playing move.

Eldariel
2010-05-19, 12:56 PM
One of my players had a question and I wasn't quite sure the answer to it. He plays a medium sized creature, but was wondering if he could by a one-handed weapon (like a longsword, for example) at large size for the extra damage and simply use the weapon two handed.

My initial answer was no, but the more that I'm thinking about it, I really don't see why not. Any advice? I usually like to reward creative ideas and thinking, but this might by more of a power-playing move.

It'd just be a Greatsword. But yes, he could, though at -2 penalty. Generally smarter just to wield a Greatsword though.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-19, 12:58 PM
It would deal the same damage as a greatsword, and furthermore enforce a -2 attack penalty for using an inappropriately sized weapon. He'd save 20 gp, but it's an absurd trade.

kestrel404
2010-05-19, 12:59 PM
Medium long sword (one handed):
cost: 15 gp, damage:1d8, crit range19–20/x2, Slashing martial weapon
Large long sword (wielded two handed by medium creature):
cost: 20 gp (+25%), damage:1d10, crit range 19-20/x2, slashing martial weapon
Medium Greatsword (wielded two handed):
cost: 50 gp, damage:2d6, crit range 19-20/x2, slashing martial weapon

Honestly, the greatsword is a better weapon. If he wants to wield a large-sized longsword, let him.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-19, 01:02 PM
I agree, you're better off with a greatsword. Or Strong arm Bracers (from MIC*) and a Large Greatsword and power attack for -2.
*magic item compendium

Talon Sky
2010-05-19, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone. Another question....what about a medium creature wielding, say, a Small sized Greatsword? Could it be one-handed? I remember the -2 penalty now, but would it apply to a medium creature using a small weapon?

Now this is more about my curiosity then his, I'm getting great BBEG ideas :D

Ravens_cry
2010-05-19, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Another question....what about a medium creature wielding, say, a Small sized Greatsword? Could it be one-handed? I remember the -2 penalty now, but would it apply to a medium creature using a small weapon?

Now this is more about my curiosity then his, I'm getting great BBEG ideas :D
You could one hand it, but it would still be at minus two (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm) because the hilt is smaller and it balanced to be used in two hands. At least that's the way my group justified it, and frankly, I agree.

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-19, 03:09 PM
Medium long sword (one handed):
cost: 15 gp, damage:1d8, crit range19–20/x2, Slashing martial weapon
Large long sword (wielded two handed by medium creature):
cost: 20 gp (+25%), damage:1d10, crit range 19-20/x2, slashing martial weapon
Medium Greatsword (wielded two handed):
cost: 50 gp, damage:2d6, crit range 19-20/x2, slashing martial weapon

Honestly, the greatsword is a better weapon. If he wants to wield a large-sized longsword, let him.

Medium Bastard Sword (two-handed as a martial weapon or exotic one-handed)
cost: 35 gp, damage: 1d10, crit 19-20/x2, slashing

Inappropriately Sized Weapons
A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

There's really no reason for all the confusion here, or the "what my group decided" (not that houserules aren't fine). OP's questions are answered by this section of the SRD.

He plays a medium sized creature, but was wondering if he could by a one-handed weapon (like a longsword, for example) at large size for the extra damage and simply use the weapon two handed.
Yes. As stated, the character in question may use a large longsword as a two-handed weapon (one step up from one-handed) at a -2 penalty to hit.

what about a medium creature wielding, say, a Small sized Greatsword? Could it be one-handed? I remember the -2 penalty now, but would it apply to a medium creature using a small weapon?
The penalty applies for each size category of difference, regardless of direction, so yes. A medium creature can't wield a small dagger though, since there is no category below 'light'.

The only real advantage I can see with using inappropriately-sized weapons is that one might be able to use a one-handed weapon as a light weapon for the purposes of finesse/twf. Of course there's also the situation where that killer halfling had a small magic greatsword that someone wants to use.

obnoxious
sig

deuxhero
2010-05-19, 03:16 PM
Grab strongarm bracers and ddo it 1 handed with no penalties (you can then opt to 2 hand it for the bonuses)