PDA

View Full Version : Faustian PC <3.5>

WoodenSword
2010-05-19, 01:11 PM
I've decided to run a Wizard (Necromancer) because Cleric and Dread Necro are banned. The spell list is expanded to allow for cleric, dread necro, death master, and "undead favored" spells. The theme is to make a cool backstory to explain how come he's a NG or LN Necromancer (was LG).

Here's my idea:

Lucius was an Expert, acting as a doctor in his local village. His wife died giving birth to his only child, Isabella. He then devoted his money to his daughter's well being. However, nobody could've predicted her falling ill with an unknown disease. From himself to clergy to even an alchemist, nobody could find a cure. She died in two weeks. Devistated, Lucius was contacted by an Efreeti prince who promised him one wish. He asked only for the power to bring his daughter back. As promised, the efreeti used Wish to teach him basic necromancy, which Lucius used to raise his daughter from the dead. She arose a Slaymate, her first words, "Daddy..."
Lucius now searches for the power to become undead so he can spend eternity with his daughter. The power has twisted his mind, making him less and less like how he was. He plans to contact a mysterious "Demon Prince" (DMPC, an Incubus Half-Shadow Dragon) so he can become undead...

I have 3 questions:

1. Which intelligent undead would suit this character, who will be a Focused Necromancer 10/Pale Master 10

2. Does a Slaymate make a good familiar, at least in this case?

3. Is the story any good, or is it too far-fetched?

OldTrees
2010-05-19, 01:23 PM
1) Necropolitian is a nice. +0LA but costs a little over 1 level in xp

2) Slaymate is more powerful then most familiars. (it reduces metamagiced spells by 1 level) If the DM allows it then go for it. It fits the story well.

WoodenSword
2010-05-19, 01:35 PM
1) Necropolitian is a nice. +0LA but costs a little over 1 level in xp

2) Slaymate is more powerful then most familiars. (it reduces metamagiced spells by 1 level) If the DM allows it then go for it. It fits the story well.

1. The DM is letting me choose any compatable undead, LA free
2. Ok, so while powerful, his daughter isn't like Bodak level?

WoodenSword
2010-05-19, 02:08 PM
and what about the backstory? Does it "make sense" by D&D canon?

OldTrees
2010-05-19, 02:44 PM
Ghost and Lich are nice Undead if LA is ignored. Vampire has its drawbacks but might be interesting as well.

A Slaymate is powerful but nowhere near the power of a spawn chaining Bodak.

The backstory makes sense.

As a necromancer you might want to look into the command undead spell. The command undead spell is much superior to the animate dead spell but requires a steady source of mindless undead (which is provided by Palemaster's Animate spell like ability) Since you have a slaymate you could extend it for free.

nyarlathotep
2010-05-19, 02:47 PM
The story makes sense and sound like a good one.

As for undead lich would fit the flavor very nicely.

Fayd
2010-05-19, 02:48 PM
I find your avatar and plan to make a necromancer rather funny. As for what you can do... are you planning on staying Good? If so, I think there's a "good lich" around there somewhere. Lich, of some kind, seems the most appropriate for you, thematically.

Also: Very nice backstory. :smallbiggrin: