PDA

View Full Version : 1st Edition Monster Manual Find

Stevielash
2010-05-19, 01:22 PM
I managed to find a copy of the ad&d Monster Manual (first edition, 3d printing) today for £2 from a local junk/bargin shop and have leafed through a bit. Things seem so unoragnized back then, I cant find the monsters to hit stat or other things I would expect but I have no experice with that edition so it could just be me.

All in all I think it was a good bargin. Has anyone else had expereince finding old D&D material by chance, any rare finds?. Also is the book worth anything? I dont really have any use for it as i play 3.5 and GURPS exclusively atm,but is it worth holding onto?.

Thanks

LibraryOgre
2010-05-19, 02:20 PM
See where it's notes the monster's HD? That tells you where it is on the attack table and the saves table.

hamlet
2010-05-19, 02:23 PM
See where it's notes the monster's HD? That tells you where it is on the attack table and the saves table.

Check the table in the DMG combat chapter. It's right there.

Matthew
2010-05-21, 02:12 PM
I managed to find a copy of the ad&d Monster Manual (first edition, 3d printing) today for £2 from a local junk/bargain shop and have leafed through a bit. Things seem so unorganised back then, I cant find the monsters to hit stat or other things I would expect but I have no experience with that edition so it could just be me.

Heh, heh. As Mark and Hamlet have mentioned, many statistics are simply governed by hit dice in AD&D, most pertinently fighting ability and saving throws. It is kind of like reading a code.

All in all I think it was a good bargain. Has anyone else had experience finding old D&D material by chance, any rare finds?

It was indeed. I obtained my copies of the PHB, DMG and OA from a charity shop. A friend mentioned they had seen them there and I went by a picked them up for about £1 each. Others have had ridiculously good fortune (http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38748) compared to that, though, picking up entire collections for £100 or so.

Also is the book worth anything? I don't really have any use for it as I play 3.5 and GURPS exclusively at the moment, but is it worth holding onto?.

Not really. It is probably worth about £10 maybe, as so many were produced it is still reasonably easily available.