PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Cleric vs Hybrid

Sir Enigma
2010-05-19, 01:44 PM
I'm currently building a new 1st level character for use in Living Forgotten Realms. One idea I'm playing around with is a dwarf cleric of Amaunator -> Morninglord, focusing on ranged, mostly radiant, damage, some healing, support powers and some social skills. I've been looking at the possibility of making this character a hybrid Cleric|Invoker rather than straight Cleric; RP-wise, both fit my concept about equally well, so this is a purely mechanical choice. I'm a bit new to 4th edition though (this is only my second character), and I'm not really sure how each of these will play. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Swordgleam
2010-05-19, 02:03 PM
If you're new to 4e, I'd suggest sticking with straight cleric. 4e is meant to be as stupid-proof as possible, but hybrids are the one way that you can easily cripple your character if you don't know what you're doing.

Sir Enigma
2010-05-20, 06:02 AM
Yes, you're probably right - the fact that I'm struggling to understand how the hybrid would play should have tipped me off. Thanks for your help with this.

DiscipleofBob
2010-05-20, 11:15 AM
If you're worried about whether or not the Cleric and Invoker synergize well together with the hybrid option, I've actually built one, and they were pretty awesome. It also sounds like a Hybrid Cleric/Invoker would fit your character concept really well. A straight Cleric will work too if you like.

Yakk
2010-05-20, 11:49 AM
You end up with twice as many class features (almost), a much longer selection of powers to pick from, many class feats that don't work as well, and a round-by-round choice between being a leader or a controller in combat.

Yes, it can work. But it is harder.