PDA

View Full Version : Quickened True Strike + Manyshot?

Wonton
2010-05-19, 02:10 PM
I got the idea from this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/tt/20050809a) article, where it seems like it's very effective against the Balor or something.

But for an investment of three feats and a 5th level spell slot per round, is it worth it? There are a LOT of spells for enchanting arrows, but it still seems like, say, Empowered Orb of Acid could be far more effective.

Also, I'd need a way to get Longbow Proficiency for a Human Wizard, and I'm not going to sacrifice caster levels.

Greenish
2010-05-19, 02:12 PM
Bracers of Archery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bracersofArcheryLesser).

PId6
2010-05-19, 02:17 PM
Going Elf works if you're willing to change race. One level dip in Dragonslayer from Draconomicon does as well, but it prereqs Dodge (Iron Will can be gotten from Otyugh Hole). If you can find something that turns you into a native outsider (like Contemplative, but arcane), that would work. Changing into an outsider shape is also doable.

Edit: Or that. :smalltongue:

Human Paragon 3
2010-05-19, 02:18 PM
I think there's a prestige class called Ruthgar or "Elf Friend" that is full casting and grants long bow proficiency.

Greenish
2010-05-19, 02:20 PM
I think there's a prestige class called Ruthgar or "Elf Friend" that is full casting and grants long bow proficiency.Ruathar, from Races of the Wild.

Human Paragon 3
2010-05-19, 02:27 PM
That's the one. I'm not sure if it really gets LB proficiency though and I'm AFB, so you should check it out.

Eldariel
2010-05-19, 02:34 PM
That's the one. I'm not sure if it really gets LB proficiency though and I'm AFB, so you should check it out.

You do. You even get a +1 Composite Longbow as a class feature. It's really cool.

Wonton
2010-05-19, 02:40 PM
The ruathar is interesting, though it has a lot of flavor attached to it, and I'm not even sure how elves fall in to our campaign setting. The Bracers of Archery are probably the best idea, though.

Mando Knight
2010-05-19, 02:56 PM
My idea was to use Quickened True Strike + Manyshot (see this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/tt/20050809a) article), but this a) requires three feats and b) doesn't seem as good for doing damage as, say, Empowered Orb of Acid.

That's not optimized Wizarding. If you want to run Quickened True Strike + Manyshot, you're better off taking a proper gish build, like a Caster 7/Ranger 3/Eldritch Knight 10 with Practiced Spellcaster.

Eldariel
2010-05-19, 03:07 PM
That's not optimized Wizarding. If you want to run Quickened True Strike + Manyshot, you're better off taking a proper gish build, like a Caster 7/Ranger 3/Eldritch Knight 10 with Practiced Spellcaster.

It's generally preferable to lose as few caster levels as possible though, so Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight -> tends to be preferable even in Core (and outside it, Abjurant Champion and Spellsword mean you get to take that all the way up to 20 without losing additional caster levels).

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-19, 04:03 PM
I got the idea from this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/tt/20050809a) article, where it seems like it's very effective against the Balor or something.

But for an investment of three feats and a 5th level spell slot per round, is it worth it? There are a LOT of spells for enchanting arrows, but it still seems like, say, Empowered Orb of Acid could be far more effective.

Also, I'd need a way to get Longbow Proficiency for a Human Wizard, and I'm not going to sacrifice caster level.

How do you put an Orb spell into an arrow besides being a spellsword or arcane archer? True Strike would work though.
-Xavez

Gauntlet
2010-05-19, 04:05 PM
I believe he is saying that an Empowered Orb of Acid would be a better choice of attack than an arrow, even an enchanted one.

Greenish
2010-05-19, 04:07 PM
How do you put an Orb spell into an arrow besides being a spellsword or arcane archer?He is not trying that, he's trying to get the arrows to deal more damage than he would with an orb (to make it worth shooting arrows in the first place).

[Edit]: You're a fire elemental, how'd you sneak on me like a ninja?

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-19, 04:07 PM
I believe he is saying that an Empowered Orb of Acid would be a better choice of attack than an arrow, even an enchanted one.

Ah, I get that post now. Thank you.
-Xavez

Gauntlet
2010-05-19, 04:15 PM
[Edit]: You're a fire elemental, how'd you sneak on me like a ninja?

Who says elementals can't take class levels? Once you learn to avoid the water (*shudder*) it's not too bad a life. Scorched floors are the only sign of my presence!

Runestar
2010-05-19, 06:55 PM
Considering that true strike would apply to every arrow fired from manyshot, you will want some way of increasing your bab all the way to +16 (so you fire more arrows). I suppose gish works best here.

Though it is interesting that an apparently sub-optimized lv16 party manages to take down a balor. Proof that it is not worthy of its cr20 tag? :smalleek:

Greenish
2010-05-19, 07:09 PM
Though it is interesting that an apparently sub-optimized lv16 party manages to take down a balor. Proof that it is not worthy of its cr20 tag? :smalleek:Action advantage and proper pre-buffing form a rather potent combination. Though the balor could've used a clueball after the PCs were immune to it's SLAs and dispelled again. Melee probably wasn't the best option either, what with flight and at-will telekinesis.

Eldariel
2010-05-19, 07:55 PM
Action advantage and proper pre-buffing form a rather potent combination. Though the balor could've used a clueball after the PCs were immune to it's SLAs and dispelled again. Melee probably wasn't the best option either, what with flight and at-will telekinesis.

It should've Plane Shifted/Teleported the hell away and plotted a fight on its own terms after it was clear the opposition was too well prepared. It was never Locked nor Anchored... And honestly, didn't it get the memo that a guy with a huge sword next to you when you're squishy is bad news (yes, Balor is squishy for a CR 20)?

Runestar
2010-05-19, 08:14 PM
It should've Plane Shifted/Teleported the hell away and plotted a fight on its own terms after it was clear the opposition was too well prepared.

To be fair, I don't think the designers intended for the balor to use such hit-and-run tactics. Its sample tactics list suggests this, a solid 5 rounds of attrition against the party.

The party did expend a fair bit of resources on pre-buffing, and that really made all the difference. I mean...a healer with VoN? A wizard attacking with a bow?

The balor's only crowning moment was when it scored a lucky natural 20 against the barb with its vorpal longsword. Oddly enough, it didn't use its quickened telekinesis. :smalltongue: