PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Tanelorn (IC)

arguskos
2010-05-19, 03:32 PM
"Standing on the cliffs above Eternal Tanelorn, looking into the endless chaotic roil beyond, it's said that a man could lose himself in that view. Imagine then, what a city in the sight of such a thing would be like, and you might begin to grasp the essence of Tanelorn, the Endless Eternity.

I have walked the spaces beyond Space. I have counted the seconds beyond Time. I return now to the city of my birth, the Eternal Tanelorn, to report to my Queen of the nature of the unnatural. I am Knight Commander Ulric of Tanelorn, and I am a man hunted by nightmares that do not dream.

Help me."

This letter arrived to each of you not one week ago, bidding you for whatever reason to venture to the greatest city the world has ever known. Tanelorn, the capital of nothing, and yet everything, ruled by the only immortal known, Queen Myshella.

Attached to the letter was a ticket stub, apparently for a private booth at the biggest and most prestigious tavern in all the lands, The Traveller's Mug. The booth number is booth 5, 3rd floor, with the proprietor's illegible signature clearly visible. The time you are to arrive to take your place? When the sun reaches it's peak above the towering cliff city.

You stand outside the door to the Mug, a massive 4 story tall, 6 building large complex. If Tanelorn is the heart of the world, the Mug would be the heart of Tanelorn. With a deep breath, you grab the handle, and step into destiny.

OOC:
Welcome, one and all, to Eternal Tanelorn. I feel it is time to give you all a good taste of what the city really is.

Tanelorn is a city built into a 1800 ft high cliff face, and built so far back that it seems to go on forever, and may well do so. The city is composed of five levels, each a cavern that is 200 ft high, with a 100 ft thick "floor/ceiling" separating them. The first and bottom cavern is right on the ocean floor, and serves as the industrial and slum section of the city. All the traders of the myriad worlds dock at Tanelorn's spiderweb of docks and moorings, which stretch hundreds of feet out into the ocean. The second cavern is the main residential heart of the city, where the vast, uncountable population dwells. It has some of the best eating as well, for the gourmets among you. The third is the true center of the city, in more ways than one, for it is the bazaar. If you want it, you can find it here, guaranteed. It is on this level that the Mug sits, just on the lip of the cavern, overlooking the ocean and the endless roil that sits not 10 miles off the shore. The fourth cavern is where the many guilds and administrations of the city lie, such as the mage's guild, the ten temples, the many many trading guilds and costers, the captain's association, etc etc etc. The fifth cavern, the highest up, is the home to the wealthy and elite. Access to the fifth cavern is the only one that is restricted, and can only be attained with a hefty bribe or written permission from a noble.

At the top of the city, on the peak of the cliff, sits Castle Kaneloon, where immortal Queen Myshella sits in state. What she does, few know, but, it is known she resides there and makes judgments and decrees about the state of the city on rare occasion.

Travel up and down the city is accomplished by a massive amount of magical lifts that move up and down the front of the cliff. These lifts are made from adamantine sheets about 1 inch thick and 20 ft square with adamantine railings on three sides (the open side is the one that faces the cliff, so you can step on). They move up and down at their own pattern, and stop at each cavern for precisely one minute. This means that you never really have to wait more than a minute or two for a lift in any direction, and it never takes more than 10 minutes or so to get anywhere from anywhere else, as long as you're at the front of the caverns.

Further back, the city is lit by glowing spheres of unbreakable glass, mounted on poles 30 ft high near the front of each cavern, and 60 ft high further back (lack of natural light makes this more important). Since each cavern goes up a total of 200 ft, and many caverns have buildings erected all the way up the sides, or hanging from the roof, bringing your own light source is highly recommended.

Crime in Tanelorn is a funny thing. Depending on your cavern, you may or may not need to bring protection, in the form of blades, spells, skills, or coin. The lowest cavern is the most crime-ridden, with poverty running rampant. The others are less so, mostly in ascending order. The police force consists of Myshella's personal army of golems, steel and silver constructs shaped as men, 9 ft high, that walk the streets in pairs. Mostly, they don't do much, but, on occasion, they will personally witness a crime (with a varying definition, depending on the day or construct in question). In such cases, the punishment is always public execution. Most criminals are smarter now.

Money in the City of Infinity is... complex. Most anything is accepted, assuming it has an intrinsic value all it's own. IOUs and paper wealth are only accepted on inter-city dealings, where both parties have actual assets to back up the paper. Travelers must pay in coin or gem, or something more esoteric, if they have it. Many vendors accept souls, body parts, slaves (not technically illegal in Tanelorn, though much disdained), magical trinkets and artifacts, art objects, and anything else you can put a price to. It all depends on who you're talking to and what you have/need. There are a few Tanelorn specific currencies however. There is a 5-inch high ivory statuette, carved to appear as the city does when viewed from afar, called an eternal carving, worth 50 gp in Tanelorn and only worth the ivory anywhere else (often much less than 50 gp). There is also a specific cut of gemstone, rare and brutally hard to make (Craft (gemcutting) DC 45 to produce, requires at least 2 pounds of pure gemstone to make), called the Eternal Cut. It takes 2 pounds of gemstones, and through masterful cutting, transforms it into a 1 foot-wide latticework of interlocked gem slices and spars. Such an object is worth many thousands of gold as an art object alone, much less street value. They rarely are seen. Finally, the standard trade coin of Tanelorn is a 1 inch square bronze coin called the stack (named because they're easy to stack together). Such a coin is worth 15 silver in Tanelorn, and nearly nothing anywhere else.

Also, for reference, the four basic coins (copper, silver, gold, platinum) have specific names in Tanelorn: coppers are dulls, silvers are shines, golds are glimmers, and platinums are wishes. Electrum coins are rarely seen, but when they do come up they are called baubles and are worth 5 shines a piece.

Any questions? :smallamused:

Also, the OOC thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153015).

Holocron Coder
2010-05-19, 05:35 PM
Urtelj

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/049/e/6/SC2_Protoss__Zealot_by_ZeroCartin.jpg

The large grey... being quietly shouldered his way through the door, fitting poorly through this world of small men. He pauses to survey the room for a few short moments, pale eyes skimming over the many forms a thinking thing can take.

His race was a newcomer to the scene of Tanelorn. Few in number and rarely seen, the protoss mostly kept to their own.

Mostly.

As was normal for his kind, the man, for it surely was male, even if not human, elf, or even remotely similar, stood nearly twice the height of the average dwarf, head and shoulders above the tallest of the prolific humans. His oddly shaped head possessed no ears, nose, or hair of any kind; it had only a pebbled gray skin and a braided robe of something hanging from the crest at the back of his head. A thin physique, digitigrade legs, and a hand consisting of two fingers and two thumbs completes the alien look.

Satisfied with the safety of the bar, he quietly nudges his way to the nearest set of stairs, set on getting to the third floor, as the letter clutched in his hand dictates. His nearly-glowing breastplate clinks quietly as he moves up the stairs, hands flanked by a pair of unusual bracers gently nudging people aside.

Upon reaching the third floor, he looks around for the so-called booth five, hardly as inconspicuous as he would hope.

OOC:

No questions :smallbiggrin: sounds awesome.

Draken
2010-05-19, 05:41 PM
Every tavern has a darker corner where the more seedy types gather, a point that is out of the way, where you only go deliberately.

Today, however, the Mug has such a spot very much in a central point, where it has no right to be, in fact, because it is surrounded by light, and with one such source of light right above it.

Still, there it is, a darkened patch taking up part of a table and a chair. From the dark comes a long black tendril holding a piece of paper, while another taps lightly on the table, both adorned with dull metal bracers.

Upon noticing the arrival with a paper his own, V'thon recoiled his limbs close to itself and rose from his chair, going for the stairs.

arguskos
2010-05-19, 06:41 PM
The central building of the Mug is a massive four story monster, with a wild set up. The main room is three stories tall, and is the size of the building's footprint. The ground floor has many tables, and small little stages for bands and entertainers, with the bar (run by the owner of the Mug, Arg Two, the orc who's father, Arg, founded the Mug) at the back, and a large open brick fireplace in the central area. This fireplace has a large brick flue that reaches up through the rook, and it is around this flue that the stairway stands. The stairs, made from hammered adamantine, lead up to the second story, a network of adamantine walkways and latticework upon which sit tables and chairs, for diners that prefer a more private experience. Continuing up further, the third level is the same as the second, but, this level is guarded by a 10-ft tall golem made from adamantine, which stops all traffic, unless offical written permission is presented to it. The stairs keep climbing, but that way leads to Arg Two's personal chambers, and the golem prevents anyone but Arg and his family from progressing that way.

Upon presenting the writ to the golem, it turns and points towards a booth in the far back corner of the lattice that is the level. It rumbles, "Your party is awaiting you."

At the table, there sits a robed and bald human male who looks up as the Protoss arrives. "Sit my tall friend, sit. Would you care for a drink? They carry denatured Sundrop you know, just for your kind. All of the flavor, none of the addiction."

Holocron Coder
2010-05-19, 08:16 PM
Urtelj

Urtelj nods in greeting and sits in one of the sturdier-looking chairs. At the offer of Sundrop, he waves a hand in a negative gesture and speaks directly to the bald one.

Thank you, but no. I would prefer to keep my wits about me for first meetings. Especially with those sending unmarked invitations.

There is no malice in his mental voice, only a cautious curiosity.

arguskos
2010-05-19, 08:47 PM
"Wise practice, but trust me, I've nothing to threaten you with. Just an offer. Please, have something, and relax. My name is Alexander, yourself?" He reaches for the stein on the table, and pours himself a glass of a golden liquor, Sundrop.

Holocron Coder
2010-05-19, 09:55 PM
Urtelj

The protoss tilts his head, ever so slightly, in a curious gesture.

I am sure you have heard this before, with the town as... diverse as this, but my name would be unpronounceable aloud. A satisfactory approximate is Urtelj. Greetings to you, Alexander.

arguskos
2010-05-19, 10:16 PM
"Oh yes, I see such frequently. Urtelj, a pleasure. Ah, it seems another member of this little band is trickling in." Alexander gestures to the ball of darkness wafting up the stairway.

Tacitus
2010-05-19, 10:54 PM
Chirk, Grippli Magister

The door to The Mug swings open slowly and a small creature no larger than a halfling hops inside. At first glance it seems to be a companion for a druid but as he leaves the light filtering in from off the see and the sun high above just past the edge of the cliff it is clear he is not. It slowly leans back and rises to stand as a bipedal creature, slick green skin soaking up the light around while reflecting it back when at just the right angles. The creature is a frog with mottled dark green skin, massive eyes, and hands with three fingers and an opposable thumb. Its upper body is wrapped in a coat of fine chain links that are very well oiled and supple enough to not pinch his moist skin or obstruct movement. His belt holds a knife, though it looks no good for fighting, as well as three pouches of various materials and tools. His back holds a rather large pack for his size and though it sits stiffly on his back it does not seem to hold anything heavy nor does it seem empty.

He blinks his massive yellow eyes for a moment, each glowing with an inner power, and then nods to himself slightly. He waddles his way over to the fireplace at the center of the room and pauses to watch the flames for only a moment before heading to the stairs. On his way up he finds traffic somewhat slowed by... a rather interesting tentacled creature of darkness he's sure would be terribly interesting if he were to see it on anything but stairs in his way. About a third the way up the stairs he puts his hand to the brick and, satisfied that it isn't going to burn him alive, begins climbing.

Once he reaches the landing with the golem he shuffles around in his pack for a bit and out emerges a variety of small trinkets, including a mortar, pestle, several books, vials to milk poisonous creatures, a strange looking staff, and eventually the paper he is searching for. He quickly stuffs the non-important bits back into the bag and holds the paper out to the golem. Almost as an afterthought the staff leaps up into his free hand.

"Your party is awaiting you."

The massive voice of the adamantine golem, which the frog-man suspects cost more than the net worth of over half the patrons, shakes the poor creature to his very core. Though not particularly loud it seemed to reverberate through him, or perhaps through the magic that was held so closely to his own soul. A few short hops later and the frog is peering over the edge of the booth the golem pointed to, directly at a massive creature with gray skin (stone? no, couldn't be) and rope-like dreadlocks. He blinks at the protoss, but says nothing at first. He's seen plenty of strange things in his day, for a frog, but today alone he has been subjected to a half dozen or more different sights, sounds, and smells that are simply not right for a proper upstanding Grippli to have to deal with. He may have to draw the line at rope-haired stone aliens.

Spells: Magister's Tricks (23 minutes remaining), Magister's Eye (13 minutes)

Draken
2010-05-19, 11:29 PM
V'thon goes past the golem not unlike Urtelj before him, and Chrik will next see the being making a turn into the booth where Alexander and Urtelj meet, V'thon stretches out the tentacle holding up the letter towards Alexander.

"You summoned."

That was, indeed, not a question.

arguskos
2010-05-19, 11:48 PM
Seeing the ball of darkness and the walking frog approach, Alexander stands, and waits for them to reach the table. "Welcome, welcome."

"You summoned."

"Indeed, indeed. Please, we await only a few more individuals, and then all will be explained. Would you care for a drink? Food? I believe they stock several ales that affect the unliving as well."

Tyrael
2010-05-20, 12:50 AM
OOC:
Draken, what does your character look like?

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9798/kelfirian012.png (http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9798/kelfirian012.png)

The door creaks open once again and an even stranger creature enters. Towering over most others in the room above 7 feet tall, it vaguely resembles a human, but only at first glance. The first thing to stand out are the two eyestalks that sprout from its bald skull. All four of its eyes are a shining, luminescent green, glowing brightly in the dim tavern. Its face is broken by four nostrils spaced to the side of a thick sbony plate on its skull that descends downwards, bisecting its face, with no visible mouth below it. Long, pointed ears extend from the side of its head and upwards.

The being's arms are long and supple, ending in just three fingers per hand. Its legs are similarly long and reverse-jointed like those of some predatory animal, capped with enormous spiked talons at the bottom. An enormous, sinewy tail sprouts from the base of its spine, nearly 7 or 8 feet long and ending with an enormous blade the size of a longsword. The creature's entire body is covered in dusk-red scales.

Over this strange and otherworldly body, the being wears a simple set of free-flowing brown robes that billow and flow with its movement, providing glimpses of two truly exotic-looking weapons attached to its belt.

After being redirected by the golem, the strange being approaches the table and folds its arms over its chest, its glowing emerald eyes gazing at the group thoughtfully.

Abruptly, an ethereal, echoing psionic voice resounds in the minds of the group. <Greetings to you all,> the being emotes telepathically. Its eyestalks swing to regard the old man in the hood. <I gather it is at your behest that I am called here?>

arguskos
2010-05-20, 01:20 AM
"Ah, the wandering kelfiirian. Please, sit. Would you like a refreshment? I am Alexander, and all will be explained shortly, once the elf arrives. She should be here shortly." The human gestures to a seat.

OOC:

This is a vasuthant (Draken), for reference.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83072.jpg

Also, that's a great piece you've got there. It's basically Jedi meets Andalite sans a horse meets the color Red. :smallwink:

Tacitus
2010-05-20, 02:24 AM
Chirk

Timidly, the frog-man slips under the table and pops up to take his seat as far away from the protoss as possible. Once settled in he leaves his staff folded on the seat on his right side and glances to the human, "Ah, I don't normally drink, but if you have any suggestions I am open to them. Fairly used to insects and swamp water, from my youth, so my taste isn't exactly refined." He also seems wary of the lightless blob and the great big red one with the bladed tail. The stone alien is by far the most unnerving to him, however.

Holocron Coder
2010-05-20, 06:25 AM
Urtelj

Urtelj senses the unease of the little frog-man and looks at him, eyes narrowing in thought. After a few moments, he determine it is not important, at the moment anyway.

He reacts with some amount of silent surprise at the crimson being who also speaks with his mind. Aloud, he notes, It is not often I run across a being with a manner similar to my own, red one. What are you called, if I may so enquire?

It is somewhat difficult to determine if he speaks of the man's name, his race, or both at once.

Draken
2010-05-20, 08:54 AM
OOC
Add to that Vasuthant a few characteristics of the Voidwalker.
http://phildebwow.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/voidwalker2.png
Namely, V'thon wears bracers on his two more prominent tentacles (and a ring at the tip of the left one). These pieces of jewelry are of dull gray color.

And also some resemblance to the Dark Archon.

http://ui25.gamespot.com/1720/darkhigh_2.jpg
Namely, in the fact that there is an indistinct humanoid figure inside the ball of darkness, and said humanoid figure wears V'thon's Vest of Resistance, which is a blackened shirt.

"Indeed, indeed. Please, we await only a few more individuals, and then all will be explained. Would you care for a drink? Food? I believe they stock several ales that affect the unliving as well."

"A shall decline your offer, for the light in this room feeds me."

Guess that is why it is dark around him.

Ilriyn
2010-05-20, 08:57 AM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/fallenangleofdarkness/elves/elf20female205blineageII5d.jpg

Ilriyn brightly steps into the The Mug, and then pauses for a second as the door shuts behind her, surveying the room. She had taken off her traveling cloak when she entered the city, and her slight form attracted the gazes of many of the more humanoid males there.

She lightly steps over to the stairs, acknowledging the golem's comment. "My party is awaiting me? That must mean that there were multiple people summoned, interesting..." she thinks.

She quietly opens the door to the booth, and quickly steps in. It wasn't good that she was late, as it tends to not create the most favorable first impression. Setting her doubts aside, she strides over to the empty chair, and offers her hand to the bald man before sitting down.

As she sits down, she can't help but wonder at the variety of the party members. She nods to each, and says "Greetings everyone, my name is Ilriyn, it's a pleasure to meet you."

Holocron Coder
2010-05-20, 10:32 AM
Urtelj

Urtelj glances over at Ilriyn as she steps into the booth. Greetings, little one.

arguskos
2010-05-20, 12:21 PM
"Master Grippli, I recommend the Sundrop, it's a lovely warm flavor, you might like it." Alexander indicates the stein at the center of the table.

At the elf's approach, he stands again, and greets her. "Ah! Welcome, welcome. Interesting, how a protoss, a kelfiirian, a vasuthant, and a grippli draw the eye less than a simple attractive woman, no?" Alexander chuckles a bit at his own joke, then continues. "No doubt you are curious why you are here? That letter you each received, from Knight Commander Ulric, is of great importance and interest to myself and to my compatriots. We are friends of the Knight Commander, and are direly concerned about his whereabouts. Seeing as how you are among the only individuals to have any contact with him in the past three cycles, we feel you are ideal for aiding us."

He stops and takes a swig from his mug before continuing, "You see, we feel the good Knight Commander is in over his head, and we want you to track him down, and return him to the city in one piece. This is no small task, of course, and you've no reason to trust us, which is true. However, do this, and you will never want for material possessions or personal freedom again. We know much about you all, and can and will aid your personal desires if you but aid us in this. You are of course free to blow this off and walk out the door, I cannot deny you that right. But, I think you may realize that this is an opportunity, a stepping stone to bigger and better things, if you will."

He pauses for another swig. "Lovely liquor, Sundrop. So, what say you? Aid? Or walk?"

OOC:

I feel the need to mention timekeeping. Hours and days do exist, and many learned folks carry small hourglasses to mark such denominations of time. However, the longer period of time is called a cycle, the amount of time it takes for the stars above in the night sky to go through one rotation. See, the starts above the sky of Tanelorn spin about a central axis (what we'd call the North Star), and they perform one such rotation about every 40 days. Given that the standard period of time in Tanelorn is the tenday, this makes a cycle their equivalent of our month.

The Tanelorn Year is composed of 400 days, 10 complete cycles, and 40 tendays. Tanelorn's seasons go in this order: cold as balls, lukewarm, AUGHGODTURNDOWNTHEHEAT, chilly, back to cold as balls. Each one is three cycles long, give or take.

I'll get cycle names and all that jazz down in a bit. :smallwink:

Draken
2010-05-20, 01:40 PM
Short black tendrils stretch from V'thon, squirming just above the surface of the darkness for a moment.

"Your offers are many, and your requests are few. There is no reason not to accept."

"Is there?"

Holocron Coder
2010-05-20, 02:13 PM
Urtelj

I concur with our fellow. Much offered for what sounds of little work. Urtelj looks thoughtful for a moment, before asking, Do you have any information of where Knight Commander Ulric may have gone, or knowledge of what he was involved in to make him disappear so suddenly?

arguskos
2010-05-20, 02:48 PM
Alexander listens to the questions, and then stands. "I am afraid I have few answers, and in fact must be going. Here, take this. It will tell you everything I could." He sets a small leather bound journal onto the table, and drops a bag of coins next to it, winking as he does. "For... motivation. I'm sure you understand."

He walks across the latticework, making for the stairs, pausing only once as he goes. "The table's paid up for another hour as is the tab. Order whatever you'd like, it's on me. When you find him, I'll contact you again. Until then, ta-ta." He nods to you all once, and walks off, pulling up his hood as he goes.

Ilriyn
2010-05-20, 05:21 PM
I nod, perplexed, but not wanting to show it. I then order a small meal, and a drink. While waiting for the order to arrive, I address the others assembled there.

In my experience, something that seems to good to be true, probably is. Promising us eternal happiness and wealth in return for tracking and recovering one person is far too good to be true. There's something he's not telling us.. But I suppose I shouldn't be so suspicious until after we've read this journal.

I pick up the journal, and thumb through the pages before starting from the beginning. I then perk up as if just remembering something.

I'm sorry, turning to the tall protoss, it seems I inadvertently ignored you. Greetings to you as well... I pause as I wait for a name.

arguskos
2010-05-20, 05:27 PM
Ilriyn:

1. First person, eh? Niiice, not too many players do that.

2. Upon flipping through the pages, you note that it seems to be in a code. You recognize sections of pages in multiple languages, including (among others) the very specific script the Elemental race you learned from uses as a universal script for the Elemental languages. At the beginning of the journal, written in the same spidery hand, is a single page of Common. You don't get much in a rapid glance, but you do note that it is signed "Knight Commander Ulric".

Holocron Coder
2010-05-20, 11:13 PM
Urtelj

Urtelj watches the man leave in quite a hurry and comments so everyone can hear him. That is... quite an unusual man. Eclectic, I think you call it?

With that, he looks at the closed envelope and bag of what is obviously a prepayment with mild suspicion, allowing Ilriyn to pick it up and thumb through it first.

I'm sorry, turning to the tall protoss, it seems I inadvertently ignored you. Greetings to you as well... I pause as I wait for a name.

Speaking to her, but sending the message to the minds of everyone in the booth, the protoss replies, I am called Urtelj, in the tongue of man.

He looks around the table at each of the others and speaks. But yes, I believe introductions are in order for everyone else here. As well, we must decide: do we work together on this venture; do we trust the strangers each of us are so openly?

Tacitus
2010-05-21, 01:22 AM
Chirk

The small frogman keeps to himself for quite some time, drinking sips of Sundrop and mixing in bits of flavor with a dash of his fingers or the grind of nonexistent salt between his thumb and forefinger to experiment with the taste. Most of his thoughts drift between pondering the proposal and it is not until the lovely young elf woman moves to pick up the journal does he even glance up from the delicious brew.

He watches her read it for a few moments, tense with all the appearance of a frightened animal waiting to flee. When she pauses and addresses the huge stone creature (I swear its stone, but it can't be!) he relaxes somewhat. After the protoss introduces himself Chirk slides down somewhat in the booth so even less of him is visible across the table. He does manage to croak out a reply, however, "By the traditions of my father and his father before him I have been given the name Chirk. I would advise against continuing to read the journal, miss. If allowed I'd like to first find a blank journal of similar size and copy the contents over by means of magical ability to ensure that any surprises such as an Explosive Runes or other foul traps are not within the text. At the very least subject it to a spell to detect magical auras, even though that may not fully preclude magical dangers. As was mentioned, too good to be true, etc, etc. I'm open to accepting the duty of finding sir Ulric, but we must remain ever cautious."

And even then he has the thought that they might be the subject of a scrying censor at that very moment. Paranoid little bugger. The personal equivalent of a detect magic begins to scan the area around them as he glances around, squinting.

arguskos
2010-05-21, 01:24 AM
Tacitus:

Are you focusing on anything specific with that Feel the Magic? If so, how long and what is it?

Also, make a Will save for me. :smallwink: Ideally, in this thread in a spoiler addressed to DM or me or whatever, so it's not public knowledge. :smallwink:

Tacitus
2010-05-21, 01:31 AM
Arrrrg!
If at all possible he'd focus on the book first to check for locations of magic, hoping to compare the Locations with the physical location of the book.

Other than that he's only scanning around, 1 round at any place he glances so he covers generally everything he can see without standing up from the both, which isn't much. Like I said, paranoid bugger. XD

Will Save: [roll0]

arguskos
2010-05-21, 01:34 AM
Tacitus:

Wow, a mighty 6. Yeah, Chirk doesn't notice anything out of line.

Also, your feel the magic doesn't notice anything specific on the book, or in your immediate vicinity. However, there are ambient spells LAYERING the entire bar, all three stories. If you had to guess without focusing the spell, they're probably support spells, anti-fire wards, you know, stuff that makes buildings stronger, etc. You can't make any out in strong detail though, not without focused study. You're near a wall that has a pretty strong source, if you care to pry.

Tyrael
2010-05-21, 02:09 AM
Zelgadis Galanodel

Zelgadis aims an eyestalk towards Urtelj and narrows its telepathic band to only include the Protoss. <You seem to be a being more similar to myself than many I've encountered in a long time,> it communicates privately. <Perhaps we might speak of this more freely later.>

Widening its telepathy again, Zelgadis comments to the table at large, <If the man is soliciting our assistance, it would be counterproductive for him to entrap the tome.>

The Kelfiirian raises its prehensile tail and uses the tip of its enormous blade to delicately flip open the cover. Zelgadis then leans forward, scanning the text curiously with all four glowing emerald eyes.

Tacitus
2010-05-21, 02:54 AM
Chirk

He almost moves to stop the scarlet-skinned alien but holds himself back, mostly because he can't reach anyway, "It may not have been a conscious effort, and it may not have even been him. His letter did mention nightmares that do not dream, or more probably inconceivable horrors beyond normal mortal imagining. If he has stared into the chaos, and even walked into the roiling entropy of the beyond, perhaps he found something not meant to be found. We've no clue when this was written or even if it is all penned by the hand of Sir Ulric. I am merely advising a bit of academic caution in the matter."

Tyrael
2010-05-21, 03:29 AM
Zelgadis pauses, lifting its eyestalks from the pages to regard Chirk dismissively. <Academia begins with research,> the being responds mildly, <and little can be gleaned from staring at a mute cover. How are we to learn of this tome if we do not read it?>

Still reading with its main eyes, the Kelfiirian uses its tail blade to delicately lift the corner of a page and turn it. <Besides,> it adds as an aside, <I have walked the "roiling entropy of the Beyond". The reality does not live up to the rumors, unfortunately.>

Tacitus
2010-05-21, 03:59 AM
Chirk

He lets out a sigh, "It'd wouldn't have taken long to transcribe a new copy, and doing so would give us extra copies to pass around between us if nothing else."

Holocron Coder
2010-05-21, 07:47 AM
Urtelj

Urtelj eyes the red-scaled being and responds

Indeed.

Turning to the conversation at hand, he notes, Additional copies of this manuscript would be useful indeed. More useful would be a decoding thereof. Are any of you familiar with the scripts? I must admit my own lack of knowledge of such things.

He peers at the journal as he comments, but, of course, most of it is incomprehensible to him.

Tacitus
2010-05-21, 08:15 AM
Chirk

The frogman adds almost dismissively, "I can read, write, and speak over a dozen languages of man and beast, and with a mere spell I can read any written language."

Holocron Coder
2010-05-21, 08:31 AM
Urtelj

Useful, such an ability, the protoss replies. I have never cultivated such an ability, given how my people's speech works.

Draken
2010-05-21, 08:41 AM
V'thon

V'thon adresses the assembled group.

"I am V'thon, as named by chaos itself, Herald of Entropy and priest of the Pantheon."

The vasuthant seemingly leans over the table, crossing its tentacles over it as one would do with his arms.

Ilriyn
2010-05-21, 03:58 PM
I lean back and dryly say, "If he wanted to do away with us, there a innumerable more effective ways of doing so than trapping a journal. Besides, he's read it already. However, copying it would definitely be useful, if we decide to do this. So let's get back to the question at hand, will we accept his offer?"

Arguskos:
I normally do 1st person when I play in person, though it usually doesn't work for PbP games. However, this is an advanced enough group that I thought I would try it out, as I prefer it to 3rd person.

Tyrael
2010-05-21, 04:21 PM
Personally, I find first-person posts to be extremely confusing, as well as not fitting stylistically with the rest of the narrative.

It also makes it awkward to refer to your character in the third person when I don't know what to call you.

Zelgadis aims an eyestalk towards the woman with a half-shrug. <Perhaps. He said the offer had further details in this book....now, let me see here...>

arguskos
2010-05-21, 04:21 PM
OOC:

Absolutely! I've got no objections to first person, it's actually quite refreshing to read. ^_^

However, that said, it can be mildly confusing at times. I'll leave that to you folks to work out betwixt yourselves. I don't mind one way or the other. :smallwink:

A waitress comes with a pair of plates piled high with all manner of food and another waitress delivers multiple steins of drinks, both alcoholic and not. "That robed fellow said you wanted some food and drink, so we brought you an sampler. Enjoy." Their food delivered, they go back down stairs to normal serving.

arguskos
2010-05-21, 07:54 PM
The Book:

Upon flipping through the pages, you note that it seems to be in a code. You recognize sections of pages in multiple languages, including (among others) the very specific script the Elemental race you learned from uses as a universal script for the Elemental languages. At the beginning of the journal, written in the same spidery hand, is a single page of Common. You don't get much in a rapid glance, but you do note that it is signed "Knight Commander Ulric".

The title page only has a handful of lines, and they read thus:

I here place an account of my time in the Knight Corps and of my service to the Nobles and to the One True Immortal, Queen Myshella.

I should start at the beginning I would think. My name is Ulric, and I am a member of the Knight Corps of Tanelorn, proud indeed. I was approached by a man named Gareth about a project, one that breaches the veil of the chaos that shrouds our worlds, and so I plunged into true madness.

Herein are my journeys through the veil and through the realities that lay beyond, encoded that no man, woman, or child should read this unknowingly and lose their mind as I have.

To the intentioned reader, I can only say, I wish you luck. Perhaps, you can do that which I could not.

Knight Commander Ulric of Tanelorn

Holocron Coder
2010-05-21, 08:10 PM
Urtelj

Dire words, indeed, Urtelj notes. As for his offer... I am sorely tempted to accept. If his promises hail true, then a large amount of funds would be useful for many ventures. Additionally, to travel the chaoses... Much to be had in this.

The protoss looks deeply thoughtful, imagining the possibilities at hand.

arguskos
2010-05-21, 10:09 PM
The Book Con't:

Totally forgot to add this bit. The remaining 100-odd pages of the journal are in every single known language, often combined on one page and even in one line at times. There is at least one notable section you see at a point where Abyssal, Infernal, Celestial, and a highly regimented and ordered script (Modron, if anyone speaks it) combine in a SINGLE SENTENCE. This isn't even the worst offender in here.

Also, it seems as if there are sections where words are backwards, in a code of some kind, and/or misspelled in many different languages.

Ilriyn
2010-05-22, 08:14 PM
OOC:
Yes, I suppose it could create problems for other characters interacting with mine. However, I still think I'll continue it for a while, but I'll post my name before each post.

Ilriyn:
"I too am leaning toward accepting this offer. A journey beyond this world, coupled with the chance of great reward is too great of a temptation to pass up. Before we embark though, I believe we should at least translate the beginning and end of the book, if not the entire work."

I lean back, sampling some of the food and drink arrayed on the table.

arguskos
2010-05-22, 08:28 PM
OOC:

Ilriyn, you're welcome to continue posting as such. :smallwink:

As for the book... I'd like to ask every member of the party who has spent significant time in Tanelorn (so, I would judge that to be V'thon and perhaps Urtelj (wasn't sure on your timing in Tanelorn, Holocron), given the backstories I was given) to make Knowledge (local) checks to see if you know a local scribe and/or translator, if you wish to make such checks.

Also, I'm trying to get into the habit of referring to folk as their characters, so, bear with me. :smallwink:

There is quite a selection of food and drink, much of it bizarrely exotic and some of it quite standard fare. Among the food, there are a few cooked dishes of fish and meat, a grand selection of various fruits and vegy's, and several kinds of bread, both leavened and non. The drinks are mostly standard ales and liquors, though there is a decanter of a black liquid that has an odd red radiance, and there are several juices and a pitcher of water. Whoever is paying has quite the coin.

Ilriyn
Ilriyn notices that among the plates of cooked and uncooked fare there is a small lacquered box, inside of which there are a handful of small sweet crystals that crunch marvelously when bitten into. You remember these from a long time ago, the elemental people ate them as candies. They grew wild in geode-like caverns that the more earthen of the people lived in, and you remember picking them fresh. These aren't as good as those, but they're damn sure to be the same thing, there's no mistaking them.

V'thon

That black liquor is one you recognize. You were paid once in a decanter of it by a particular priest of Arioch's, and it turned out to be the only thing that undead can drink and still taste. The reason wasn't clear, but, it was a curious thing, if nothing else. He called it voidfire.

Tyrael
2010-05-22, 09:03 PM
Zelgadis Galanodel

The Kelfiirian nods slowly and leans back. <...Indeed. My knowledge of languages is substantial, but admittedly inadequate for a task of this magnitude. However, I may know of someone who may be able to assist us...>

The alien lowers its head in thought.

[roll0]

arguskos
2010-05-22, 09:16 PM
Zelgadis:

You seem to recall there is a scribe known for his depth of language up a cavern. He's got a little shop called the Scribe's Truth, tucked into a quiet back alley around the corner from the main street of the arcane district up there. You encountered the scribe one day during your wanderings, and he asked you about the book you carry, somehow knowing you were it's carrier. His name was Agustin Quill.

Also, you seem to recall hearing that the barkeep here at the Mug can set anyone up with anyone, for a price or service. Arg Two might be worth talking to.

Urtelj:

While you've been talking and meeting these folks and discussing your next move, there's been a quiet buzzing, a minor and annoying thing, just a bit of "mind static". It's nothing unique or even all that special, mind static is the quiet buzz of minds that are unfocused all around. However, you suddenly notice it's gone, which is very rare. In the depths of your mind, behind your tightest mental barriers, you hear a voice. "Hello, Urtelj. Kil'nen sends his regards. Do stay out of trouble, won't you?"

The thought has no source, but it is clear nevertheless. There is a Dark Protoss around, and given the ease by which they managed to block your own mental sense of the standard mind static all around you, it is likely they are powerful, potentially a Dark Templar.

Draken
2010-05-22, 09:54 PM
V'thon

Tendrils extend from the main dark mass, one extending towards the black liquid with red light, dipping into it and slowly draining it away.

Others extend over shoulders to leer over the book, acting as eyestalks, one could imagine.

"The terms are agreeable, and the mission is simple, I am going to accept it."

Knowledge (Local), technicaly just an intelligence check.
[roll0]

arguskos
2010-05-22, 10:04 PM
V'thon:

The voidfire is just as potent as ever, giving you quite the kick.

As for your check, you seem to recall that the barkeep here, Arg Two, has been said to have connections all over the city, and can set anyone up with anyone else for a price or a service. Might be worth checking into.

Further, there's a sage over at the temple of Arioch who is quite the knowledgeable fellow. He's the temple recordkeeper, by the name of Secretkeeper Darius.

Holocron Coder
2010-05-22, 10:32 PM
Urtelj

While pondering the location of any able translators in the town, Urtelj's eyes widen slightly and go out of focus. Concentrating quickly, he does his best to scan the local area, looking for the mind without a body to match it. He ignores the remainder of the conversation and the food.

[roll0]

Manifesting at-will Detect Psionics, scanning the area slowly, looking for a strong power.

arguskos
2010-05-22, 10:38 PM
Urtelj:

Your Detect Psionics doesn't show you anything. Indeed, the level up here seems to be dead quiet, not even the golem is moving. Only one table is occupied, and that's yours. The rest of the tables are dark and silent.

Again comes the whisperer. <It's all over your thoughts. Spare the effort, you won't find me, but don't fret. I mean you no harm. Just letting you know that you have allies in dark places. Now, farewell Urtelj of Tesnarat. We shall meet soon.> The voice falls silent as the grave.

Also, your knowledge local check pretty much tells you squat, beyond the fact that Arg Two, the barkeep here, is said to be pretty handy at putting folks together. Just a rumor though.

Holocron Coder
2010-05-22, 11:00 PM
Urtelj

His thoughts disquieted, Urtelj returns his focus to the booth and hopes the dark protoss was telling the truth. I've little information that would be of use to decrypt this document, I'm sorry to say.

Draken
2010-05-22, 11:34 PM
V'thon

V'thon coils back his tendrils.

"The owner of the bar has contacts we could use. And I could take the tome to a lorekeeper in the temple of Auroch who could translate the text."

Tyrael
2010-05-23, 12:11 AM
Zelgadis nods. <Indeed he does. Furthermore, there is an extremely knowledgeable scholar named Agustin Quill here in Tanelorn who runs a shop called the Scribe's Quill. He may be of use to us.>

Tacitus
2010-05-23, 12:32 AM
Chirk

The frog pipes up, "Or you could ask a sage in town, only recently arrived, by the name of Chirk. I hear he knows many languages and can cast spells to read just about anything. Brilliant arcanist, I hear." Having not yet looked at the book he doesn't know it, but he could probably read half of the text not in the common tongue without resorting to his magic.

Lets see... Grippli, Common, Sylvan, Elven, Goblin, Aquan, Auran, Ignan, Terran, Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic, Infernal. And not to mention 8 ranks in Linguistics for a +13.

Draken
2010-05-23, 09:43 AM
V'thon

The Vasuthant spins in the air to face Chirk.

"Well then, that does simplify the matter at hand. Give it your try."

arguskos
2010-05-23, 04:09 PM
Chirk:

If you actually take a good long look at the book, you notice a few things straight up.

First, there are at least a couple of latent dweomers on it, one is Abjuration and the other is Illusion. Sadly, you can't tell anything about them beyond that they are there and they seem to be waiting for a trigger of some type. It's not triggered upon reading though, you can tell that much.

Second, and much more relevant, the journal is encoded in a highly aggravating fashion. In addition to each line combining multiple languages, you can tell that certain phrases are misspelled, encoded in a simple (though time consuming to break) cipher, and some are in different tenses even. Further, there are sections that are in languages you don't know, and have never even seen before. The writing style is brutal and unforgiving, as you can tell without even performing a translation.

You do manage to get the following names though, since they appear in Common frequently enough that you manage to extract them wholesale:
-Michiel
-Eustorgios
-Thok'heg'kthon

Ilriyn
2010-05-23, 05:09 PM
Ilriyn:
I smile at the little frog's comment, quite amused.

"I intend to take the mission as well. If we discover something that he didn't tell us about, in the book or elsewhere, we can always back out. But I think that that this will be a grand adventure."

I lean back as Chirk pores over the book, quite content with my current lot.

Tacitus
2010-05-23, 05:47 PM
Chirk

He smirks, "And try I shall." The frogman flips through several pages cautiously, taking apart ciphers and grumbling in deep tones to himself as magical energies infuse his eyes and drain away the world. As he goes he mutters several notes aloud, "Faint magic, as I suspected... ...illusion... ...abjuration, no surprise... ...Michiel again... ...Eustorgios and Thok'heg'kthon too..."

If no one objects, he'll be taking the rest of the time the table is available to us to break any ciphers and translate as much as possible.

Linguistics (Decipher Script): [roll0]
If Superb Skill can apply to the Decipher Script, he'll Heighten one of those too for +6. (I can't recall if it can apply to prolonged skill tests)
Cast Heightened Magister's Eye
For 50 minutes Chirk can Read Magic and Comprehend Languages (writing only), at the rate of 500 words (2 pages) per minute.

So either 1 or 2 fist level slots expended.

arguskos
2010-05-23, 05:57 PM
Chirk:

Oddly, your magister's eye doesn't translate it. At all. Not even the languages you already know. The nature of one of the dweomers (which one is impossible to tell as they're blended together) is now clear: it is preventing magical translation. The effect is similar to a sepia snake sigil, in that it's embedded into the document and triggers upon a specific interaction, but rather than jacking up the reading, it plays interference.

Your Linguistics check, which superb skill was not intended to apply to by the way (I will edit it to that effect), manages to get you several pages into the document. It takes roughly 15-20 minutes a page to translate by hand, and that's not decoding the ciphers (you detect there are at least two) or trying to figure out the languages you don't know.

What you manage to discern are brief snippets of information, little lines here and there, that don't paint a complete picture all by themselves.

Page 2: "...I was late to the..." "...Michiel assures me that..." "Perhaps I'll have better..."

Page 3: "...it was terrifying..." "... Eustorgios contacted..." "...I met one of the..."

Page 4: "...suggested I..." "...damn Thok'heg'kthon..." "...met Derk for a drink..." "...go today..."

To actually break the first cipher you encounter will take longer than you have left at this table, by FAR. It's not hard (a simple syllabic movement and letter rearrangement), but it does take a long time, since a lot of the journal seems to be in it. You also discover that there is a second cipher overlapping the first that builds off of it, making it immensely difficult to break. You aren't even totally sure how the second cipher functions yet, much less how to beat it.

Tacitus
2010-05-23, 06:33 PM
Chirk

When the frog finally looks up his eyes look weary from the strain of going through such a mishmash, "Madness, for the most part. Its quite a bit more involved than I could have even anticipated and would no doubt take me an entire day to even break the first cipher on even a handful of pages, much less the second. My magic cannot break the enchantments laid upon it to read the languages I do not know, of which there are still many. If we intend to read this with any haste we would need to find a key to the ciphers, which would make things go much smoother. These names though, Michiel, Eustorgios, and Thok'heg'kthon, they would not be a bad place to start."

Holocron Coder
2010-05-23, 08:32 PM
Urtelj

I concur; a sound plan. Though, if I may enquire, you made some mention of a 'Derk' as well. Could that be Derk Lends, of this city? The protoss enquires, mental gears obviously turning.

arguskos
2010-05-24, 12:26 AM
OOC:

By the way, little happens in your area while the frogman works on the book translation. If there is no more conversation to be had, we can skip straight to Frogger being done.

Tacitus
2010-05-25, 12:28 AM
Chirk

The frogman blinks, "I know of no Dirk. Not from around these parts."

Holocron Coder
2010-05-25, 06:12 AM
Urtelj

Urtelj nods and leans back in his chair. Somehow, you can tell that, if he had a mouth, he would be frowning in thought.

Ready for a short time skip :smallbiggrin:

Draken
2010-05-25, 11:37 AM
V'thon

"I know none of the beings who go by these names."

Draken has given up on describing how V'thon reacts. He is supposed to be an emotionless ball of logic, evil and negative energy. There isn't a lot of expressions or motions that can be done by such a thing.

arguskos
2010-05-25, 03:01 PM
OOC:

There's been no objection to a short time jump, so, let's do so.

As the hourglass ticks away, the guardian golem trundles over to your table. "Your time is over. Leave immediately."

The table now vacated, you begin the trip down the stairs back to the main tavern, where it seems an illusionist is performing for the crowd, to much applause and laughter.

Tacitus
2010-05-25, 03:50 PM
Chirk

The frog keeps his nose shoved between the pages of the book, so to speak. He barely pays attention to where he is going, keeping one of his new comrades in front of him to guide his way and hoping another stays behind so a blade doesn't get put in it.

Tyrael
2010-05-25, 04:17 PM
Zelgadis stands up and leaves along with everyone else, still waiting for Chirk to finish his translation.

Ilriyn
2010-05-25, 09:19 PM
Ilriyn:
As the golem finishes speaking, I get up with a yawn, and follow everyone else as they file out. "Irritable sort, aren't they?" Speaking to no one in particular. "Do the golems here always act like that?"

Holocron Coder
2010-05-25, 09:46 PM
Urtelj

Speaking directly to Ilriyn's mind, Urtelj responds, I know little of these constructs, little one. I do, however, remember the similar constructs of my homeland. They were simple of mind. Simple... programs, sets of rules, if you would. They had little talent for diplomacy, or tact.

He looks at the illusionist as they walk through the main room, then heads towards the exit, assuming a quieter atmosphere outside would be more beneficial to any discussions.

Draken
2010-05-25, 11:41 PM
V'thon

V'thon quietly hovered out of the room.

"Most golems are but objects animated by magic, with only the barest of self awareness granted by the spirit that animates it. It cares not for your feelings or opinions, merely following its given orders."

"But not all. And not always."

arguskos
2010-05-25, 11:55 PM
For its part, the iron golem watches silently as you file out.

The street is busy and loud, as it always is in Tanelorn. The crowds are of all stripes and colors, but most folks up here are either residents of Tanelorn or old hands at navigating the city. Most greens (new arrivals) don't come up this far right when they arrive, usually being overwhelmed at the size of the city.

Interestingly enough, a voice shouts out of the crowd as the group of you walk out into the sun and noise. "Urtelj? Urtelj, you old dog! Commere! Haha! Great to see ya!" A short male human, dressed in workmans leathers, manages to force his way over to the somber protoss. "Great to see ya! Just got back in, did ya? These yer new crew then?"

Urtelj:

This is Derk Lends, obviously. :smalltongue: I took a great deal of liberties with him, as you can see. Hope you don't mind.

V'thon:

In the crowd, you notice a priest of Slortar the White staring at you, and fingering his holy symbol. It's not overt, but his brilliant white robes aren't exactly subtle.

Tacitus
2010-05-26, 04:40 AM
Chirk

The frog only looks up from the book briefly, still puzzling through pages at an honest rate, though he plans to get paper (preferably a similarly sized journal), plenty of writing utensils, and somewhere quiet to study the book for a good long time.

Holocron Coder
2010-05-26, 08:20 AM
Urtelj

Urtelj jerks in mild surprise, before raising a hand in greeting to the human. Derk Lends! he speaks aloud to all present. I was just pondering a visit to you, my friend.

He looks over the rest of their motley crew and responds, Yes, this is my... 'crew' for the moment. You can tell that he isn't entirely familiar with the nuances of that particular word. With that, he gives introductions all around, finishing with an introduction of Derk to the group, a single hand on the small man's shoulder. And this is my friend, Derk Lends. He assists me with my travels, on occasion.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 12:10 PM
Derk comes up to the protoss, who dwarfs him by easily 3+ feet, and gives the big stone-colored creature a hug. "Good to see ya! I got word dat a boat o' protoss came in ta town the other day ya know, was looking to tell ya. Oh and I managed to get a handful of memory crystals, I know ya like diggin' through 'em. But ya said you was comin' ta me? What for?"

Tyrael
2010-05-26, 02:54 PM
Zelgadis inclines its head gravely towards the small man. <I am honored. How has he assisted your travels?> The alien asks telepathically.

Draken
2010-05-26, 04:59 PM
V'thon shifts slightly in place, coiling his longer tentacles closer to itself.

DM
V'thon stares eyelessly at the cleric in the crowd. Keeping tabs on him.

Holocron Coder
2010-05-26, 05:28 PM
Urtelj

Truly? Urtelj asks of Derk, eyes widening slightly. I would much enjoy an opportunity to see them, once there is time.

His train of thought of explaining his reason for visiting Derk was interrupted by Zelgadis's query. The protoss blinks a few times, then answers, Derk assists me by providing information helpful to my personal quest. Nothing of note to the rest of you, but a personal matter of great import.

He turns back to Derk and replies to the man's question. I had heard that you may have had some contact with a man I seek. An Ulric, title of Knight Commander.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 05:45 PM
V'thon:

The priest of Slortar rubs his holy symbol with one hand and whispers to himself. Suddenly, he vanishes. Make a Will save for me.

Derk's grin fades slowly. "Ah... I... uh, I don't know what ya talkin' bout, I don't know no Ulric feller."

Every listener is permitted a Perception check.

DM Only:

Bluff check: [roll0]

Draken
2010-05-26, 06:00 PM
DM
[roll0]

Edit: Going to use a reroll from the Vasuthant's reality distortion power, which calls for a small description and another post.

Something seems to shift around V'thon, but only slightly.

Draken
2010-05-26, 06:04 PM
DM
Will save reroll: [roll0]

Reality Distortions left for the day: 1 (of 2).

Edit: Wow.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 06:56 PM
V'thon:

You don't notice where the cleric seems to have gone to.

Also, yeah, wow, those were some terrible rolls. The forum roller hates you tonight it seems.

Draken
2010-05-26, 07:04 PM
DM
Right.

Do consider that I boast blindsight 25' and undead immunities with whatever you are trying to do here. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-05-26, 07:29 PM
V'thon:

Happily, those don't matter much in this specific case. :smalltongue: Good thought though.

By the by, I checked your character sheet, and saw you have light immunity This is fine. I then checked to see exactly what that entailed, and it wasn't clear, so I am going to rule that it provides immunity to anything with the [Light] descriptor. Does that seem fair? Note: for the spell you're targeted by at the moment, it doesn't matter in this instance, it's just for the future.

During the discussion with Derk, a coruscating beam of energy shoots from inside the crowd and strikes the Vasuthant square in the center of the ball of blackness. Somehow, it barely slides by. The cleric reappears, standing on a lift that is about to start moving up a level. There is 60 ft or so between you all and him, and the crowd is damn thick, cutting movement speed by half. The crowd seems to be confused as to what's happening.

DM Only:

Cleric of Slortar's stat block:
As the Sunmaster on pg 28 of Lost Empires of Faerun
AC: 20
HP: 56
Attack: +1 heavy mace (+6 melee, 1d8+1) or +6 ranged (as spell)
SA: glaring eyes 1/day, spells, turn undead 4/day (+3, 2d6+3, 5th)
SQ: fire resist 5
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +3, Will +11

Spells:
0- create water, detect magic, light, mending, resistance, virtue
1- protection from chaos(D), hide from undead x2*, divine favor*, bless, shield of faith
2- hold person, shatter, heat metal(D), aid*, consecrate
3- reach cure medium wounds*, searing light, searing light(D), daylight, dispel magic
4- fire shield, order's wrath(D), moon bolt

Rolls:

Ray: [roll0] ranged touch against AC 12. Damn. Missed.
Damage: [roll1] positive energy

Draken
2010-05-26, 07:44 PM
DM
My guess is that the prime intent is to protect against spells such as Searing Light, Sunbeam, Sunburst and other such "light effects". I am not sure if any of those spells do have the light descriptor right now, but think they do.

V'thon floats in the air above the crowd, and then dashes forward at the cleric, his tentacles stretching wide around him. The angered Vasuthant releases a bellowing screech as he flyes forth, his field of darkness growing much wider as he moves out.

Actions:
Double move: Fly (perfect) 5 feet up and then 55 feet towards the cleric.
Free Action: Produce 30 feet radius of darkness. Darkness grants concealment and supresses all light sources.
Special: Ring of the Darkhidden makes V'thon Invisible to darkvision.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 08:00 PM
The cleric smiles. "Pathetic. You were said to be better than this, V'thon." He takes a step back, and casts a spell. Suddenly, he is lit up with bright blue flames, and you can feel the heat from where you're floating.

Actions:

He takes a five foot step, getting out of the vasuthant's reach (:smalltongue:) and casts...
Read only if you've made your Spellcraft check (DC 24):
Fire Shield (Warm).

V'thon:

I would think so as well. Anything with the Light descriptor, you're immune to. Sound fair?

Tyrael
2010-05-26, 08:04 PM
Zelgadis steps back to the side of the street along with the rest of the crowd, clearly not wanting to get involved.

Draken
2010-05-26, 08:37 PM
Sounds fair. Also, can't make that check on a 20, so not bothering.

Also, 10 feet reach thanks to the extended reach feat, so a 5 foot step puts him in range again. :smalltongue:

V'thon inches closer, his tentacles lashing out at the cleric with dark entropy oozing out of them.

"Sing your self-praises after you have achieved anything, ignorant ape."

Action:
5 foot step. Full attack-touch-grapple-of-ENTROPY.

Rolls:
Tentacle 1: Touch attack to start a grapple: [roll0] (no attack of opportunity because I outreach you).
Special effect: Entropic Touch (using a daily use, no save if the attack hits. [roll1] damage and [roll2] strength damage.
Grapple Check! [roll3]
If the grapple check is successful, another entropic touch lands for another... [roll4] damage and [roll5] strength damage.

But there is more!

Tentacle 2: Touch attack to start a grapple: [roll6] (no attack of opportunity because I outreach you).
Special effect: Entropic Touch (using a daily use, no save if the attack hits. [roll7] damage and [roll8] strength damage.
Grapple Check! [roll9]
If the grapple check is successful, another entropic touch lands for another... [roll10] damage and [roll11] strength damage.

Spent: 2 dailys uses of Entropic Touch. 18 left.
The way Entropic Touch is written leads me to believe there is no save on a succesful grapple check. Either way, Fortitude DC 16 otherwise.

---
Also, whenever Entropic Touch deals damage I heal 2 HP and gain excess as temporary hp.
---
IF:

First grapple succeeds, second one becomes a slam attack (which isn't a touch attack) and deals [roll12] damage (plus the entropic touch). The attack suffers a -4 penalty but is made against an opponent who is denied his dexterity modifier. OR remains a touch attack followed by a grapple check if entropic touch is allowed on touch attacks to start grapples. And if extr agrapple checks are allowed on grappled opponents too, there is that.

IF touch attacks don't qualify for daily uses of Entropic Touch I will be sad. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-05-26, 09:02 PM
OOC:

True about his reach, but, he did it so he didn't have to make a Concentration check to cast. :smalltongue:

About the Entropic Touch on grapples, it does not function, as you can only channel on slam attacks ("A number of times equal to it's HDxCha modifier, the Vasuthant may channel his entropic touch trough his tendrils, dealing both damages with each sucessfull slam attack.", from your class entry, emphasis mine).

Concerning the text of entropic touch working on every grapple check, I don't like that wording, as it's a liiiiittle too open-ended (ugh, Oslecamo's editing leaves a lot to be desired honestly, I mean, I already read it twice when you applied, and it's STILL throwing me for a loop). Let's change that to "whenever you deal damage in a grapple, you automatically deal entropic touch damage". It's clearer, less prone to abuse (since according to the current wording, you can win the grapple check an OPPONENT makes and deal them damage, which is stupid), is still plenty strong, and is likely what Oslecamo intended. Any objections?

Also, because his editing IS SO BAD OMG, I'll permit Entropic Touch (as above) to permit no saves when triggered in a grapple thanks to dealing damage (as per the grapple rules). However, in all other circumstances, it permits a save (including if you enter their square or something).

<there may be more, not sure yet; likelyhood not>

The cleric smiles as you move forward. "I already have, darkness, I already have." He groans as you manage to snare him in a tendril, and then slam him with your other one, draining a bit of strength. He grins though, whispers a word, and a bolt that glimmers like the moon leaps from his hand and into your core, where it forces you to focus all your will.

Rolls:

Note: you suffer two counts of fire damage to the face (I have accounted for the fire resist two you have, btw, so this is what you actually take, and there is no save): [roll0] fire damage

Next, grapple check against the first: [roll1]
Grapple check against the second (just in-case he somehow beats the first, not likely): [roll2]
Also, saves against the Entropic Touch (I'm rolling only two saves, that should be plenty):
[roll3]
[roll4]

If he fails the grapple (don't read):

He casts a Sudden Stilled Moon Bolt into the Vasuthant's face (can't miss, in a grapple). The save is Will, DC 18, and the vasuthant will be helpless for [roll5] rounds on a failed save.

If he beats both grapples (don't read):
he five foot steps again (yay out of reach) to the back of the lift (so, next to the railing) and casts Searing Light (not a light spell, oddly enough).
Attack: [roll6] ranged touch
Damage: [roll7] untyped.

V'thon:

You take 19 fire damage. You also need to make a Will save for me, DC 18.

Now, based on everything above, the results of the turn go as thus:
-You get a grapple, and slam him once, taking 19 fire and healing 1 hp from Entropic Touch, you deal him a total of 9+2+2 Str.
-He casts his spell, you need to make a Will save.
-You have not used any Entropic Touch uses, by the by, and he didn't get a save against it.
-Overall, effective turn, and we hammered out lots of rules issues. :smallbiggrin:

DM Only:

Cleric of Slortar's stat block:
As the Sunmaster on pg 28 of Lost Empires of Faerun
AC: 20
HP: 45
Attack: +1 heavy mace (+6 melee, 1d8+1) or +6 ranged (as spell)
SA: glaring eyes 1/day, spells, turn undead 4/day (+3, 2d6+3x1.5, 5th)
SQ: fire resist 5
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +3, Will +11
Feats: Combat Casting, Reach Spell, Sudden Still x3, Empower Turning

Spells:
0- create water, detect magic, light, mending, resistance, virtue
1- protection from chaos(D), hide from undead x2*, divine favor*, bless, shield of faith
2- hold person, shatter, heat metal(D), aid*, consecrate
3- reach cure medium wounds*, searing light, searing light(D), daylight, dispel magic
4- fire shield*, order's wrath(D), moon bolt*

Holocron Coder
2010-05-26, 09:50 PM
Urtelj

[roll0]

Urtelj's eyes narrow in suspicion at Derk's sudden verbal backpeddling. Any questions he might've made, however, are cut off as V'thon is attacked by a beam of light cast from what appears to be a cleric of some sort.

Caught off guard, Urtelj doesn't react at first. After a few beats, he strides forward and attempts to separate the two, by hand if need be. Beings! This is not the place for such things he tries to reason.

Draken
2010-05-26, 10:12 PM
Rolls
Will: [roll0]

Already considering the reroll, will call in an edit if I do use the reroll.

Reroll [roll1]

Yeah. Damnit. Both rerolls fail.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 10:17 PM
V'thon:

You are helpless for 4 rounds. You don't burn your reroll, btw, since there's no point to it, and I'm not going to be a **** about it.

The cleric, realizing that the vasuthant succumbed to the effect, crawls out of the ball of blackness just in time to hear the protoss make his declaration. "Damn. You have companions. Very well. I will withdraw for now, V'thon, but I will return when you least expect it." He casts a spell, and vanishes from your sight. He doesn't reappear.

Tacitus
2010-05-26, 10:52 PM
Chirk

The mage continues perusing the book, pausing only when he noticed the protoss wander off, though he does not look up as he follows after, "I found that name again. Derk. Derkderkderkderkderk."

Holocron Coder
2010-05-26, 10:53 PM
Urtelj

The immediate threat gone, Urtelj turns to their smoky companion and asks, He appeared as if he knew you. And not in an amiable fashion. Who was he?

arguskos
2010-05-26, 11:02 PM
Speaking of Derk, you notice that he's backed into the crowd, vanishing into it.

Rolls:
Perception checks might be good to find him.

Holocron Coder
2010-05-26, 11:06 PM
Urtelj

Remembering the suspicious demeanor of his contact, Urtelj turns and notices the man has gone missing. Quickly, he scans the crowd, looking for that familiar form.

[roll0]

Draken
2010-05-26, 11:06 PM
Upon releasing himself from the helplessness, V'thon recoils his field of darkness and answers Urtelj.

"A follower of Slortar. Nothing more."

Holocron Coder
2010-05-26, 11:10 PM
Urtelj

Slortar? Urtelj queries, still scanning the crowd.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 11:10 PM
Urtelj:

You manage to catch a glimpse of the rogue pushing through the crowd, making for a lift that just left for the lower levels. Derk jumps onto it, and slams into the railing as it falls. If you want to chase him, you need to move right now. The lift he is on is now 15 ft down and is about 50 ft away. By the time you get there, it'll be 25+ ft down.

Holocron Coder
2010-05-26, 11:15 PM
Urtelj

The protoss darts after the rogue without waiting for V'thon's answer. Only a curt Excuse me denotes his departure.

He threads his way through the crowd, legs beginning to blur with speed. Upon reaching the lift, Urtelj looks down upon it for only a moment before jumping down after it.

OOC:

Burning a power point to active Augmented Movement: Speed. Adding 15 to base speed for a total of 45ft/round.

When jumping down, activate Augmented Movement: Hover to attempt a feather fall sort of maneuver (if you allow such).

arguskos
2010-05-26, 11:21 PM
OOC:

The movement is good. The hover thing... that's interesting. I won't give you a free 1 PP feather fall (that's silly), but, I will let it cut your falling damage by 1d6.

Also, you still take [roll0] falling damage.

Derk looks up, sees the protoss coming, and climbs up on the rail, his face wracked with fear. "Stop, Urtelj! Please, I don't wanna do it, but I will, I swear! Don't pursue this!"

Holocron Coder
2010-05-26, 11:23 PM
Urtelj

The protoss lands on the platform, blue afterimages fading as he lands. He straightens from a crouch as his eyes widen. Derk! Why do you threaten such? Urtelj looks shocked. What holds such threat over you?

Draken
2010-05-26, 11:26 PM
OOC
I am inclined to follow, also for the prospect of having something to feed upon and recover my hit points.

V'thon hovers after Urtelj, answering the question on the way, before being outrun by the psionic enhancing and thus being forced to run for it.

"A god of light."

Upon arriving there, he looks... Menacing.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 11:27 PM
"We've been friends for over a year now, Urtelj. Trust me when I tell you, don't pursue this, don't do it. That name, it, it won't bring you any good."

OOC:

Draken, could that line be any MORE menacing? "something to feed on to replenish my HP"... sometimes, I forget V'ton is Evil, and then you remind me. :smallbiggrin:

Holocron Coder
2010-05-26, 11:33 PM
Urtelj

Urtelj looks thoughtful for a few moments. He hadn't begun the mission, if it could be called such, just yet. It could be called off. He could go about his normal searching, looking for answers that seemed a bit further away each day. Or he could pursue this avenue to the fullest, hoping to find something new. The recent encounter with a dark protoss only fed fuel to the thought of continuing his current path.

But he wasn't willing to lose Derk, not yet. He speaks to Derk's mind directly, And a good year it has been, my friend. I look forward to many more years of such. You leave me with many questions, but I ask of you friend, come down and talk with me. Convince me of your truth, and if it become mine, then I will do as you say and let the name lie.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 11:39 PM
"I... I can't... I can't do it. They'll know, Urtelj, they'll know. They'll find out I talked and they'll kill me anyways!" He glances down at the abyss beyond, and realizes they are coming up on cavern 2 pretty fast.

He looks up at the protoss and the ball of darkness with a sadness in his eyes. "Seek out Eustorgios. He's a priest of Ean, up in Cavern 4." He drops a brass key on the deck of the lift, closes his eyes, and tips backwards off the lift.

OOC:

To try and catch him is a Ref save and a grapple.

Urtelj:

You recognize that key. It's the key to his shop, a trade emporium back in Cavern 3, by the name of The Lending House (he had a sense of humor about his last name).

Holocron Coder
2010-05-26, 11:42 PM
Urtelj

The protoss darts forward in an attempt to catch his friend.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Draken
2010-05-27, 05:51 PM
V'thon

V'thon lashes out with a tentacle as well, trying to grasp the suicidal fool.

If the man is going to die he could at least be useful and serve as food.

Reflex: [roll0]
Touch: [roll1]

Ilriyn
2010-05-28, 12:37 AM
Ilriyn:
As the crazed man tips off of the edge of the lift, I breathlessly run up to the railing above them. Feeling near powerless to save him, I extend my hand and call forth my arcane power to try and stabilize him.

"If only I wouldn't have gone back inside the inn to talk to the bartender, I could actually be doing something out here, rather then standing here nearly helpless" I groan to myself.

Use mage hand to try and catch/stabilize him. I know that it would do nothing by itself, but I'm hoping that it would slow his fall by just a tiny bit, maybe by enough to give the other two a circumstance bonus to their saves.

arguskos
2010-05-28, 12:43 AM
OOC:

Damn creative usage of the spell. I'll rule that it penalizes Derk's opposed grapple checks by, let's say, 2. He's fighting off being caught, and you're trying to help catch him, so it makes sense to penalize him I'd think.

arguskos
2010-05-28, 04:01 PM
Derk falls backwards, his eyes closed, and just as he clears the barrier, Urtelj's hand latches around his leg. Derk's eyes fly open, and he starts screaming, "NO! LET ME GO!" He kicks at the protoss's hand.

Rolls:

Urtelj, I need a grapple check from you. You connected and moved fast enough, let's see some opposed grapples.

Derk's Grapple: [roll0] (good call on the Mage Hand, Ilriyn :smallwink:)

Holocron Coder
2010-05-28, 05:29 PM
Urtelj

The protoss only grips tighter.

[roll0]

arguskos
2010-05-28, 05:33 PM
"Ahh! Please! Urtelj! I'm begging you! Let me go!" He struggles, but the protoss's grip is too strong for the moment.

Rolls:

Urtelj, I need a Strength check if you want to drag him up. Also, note that you are coming down to the landing for Cavern 2, and there is a member of Myshella's Guard, a 10-ft tall armor-plated figure, watching this entire exchange.

Tacitus
2010-05-28, 06:41 PM
Chirk

The grippli stops at the edge of the cavern, only ceasing his forward motion because he's walked into a safety rail. He looks up, looks around, and then looks down over the edge, "Whatcher down there for?" He looks down the rail some to Ilriyn, "I take ten minutes to read a book and all goes to hell. Whats going on?"

Holocron Coder
2010-05-28, 07:52 PM
Urtelj

No, Derk. I cannot allow you to commit such an act Urtelj states, attempting to pick his friend back up over the rail.

[roll0]

arguskos
2010-05-28, 08:06 PM
Urtelj manages to haul Derk over the railing, though just barely. He collapses on the deck of the lift in a nervous wreck, babbling hysterically. "OhnoohnoohnotheyknowI'mgoingtodiewhydidn'tyoujustl eavemetofall?!" For a fairly calm individual, it seems like Derk went to pieces rather quickly.

You arrive at Cavern 2, whereupon the other passengers of the lift rush off as fast as is possible. The Guard just watches for a moment, and then continues its rounds. V'thon and Urtelj, along with Derk, are now at Cavern 2. The rest of the party is at Cavern 3, outside the Mug. Derk is pratically catatonic and is babbling to himself, permitting you to just heft him up if you so wished.

Holocron Coder
2010-05-28, 09:37 PM
Urtelj

Carefully, Urtelj picks up his friend and looks to the two with him. Shall we rejoin the others before deciding out next move?

Draken
2010-05-28, 10:31 PM
V'thon

"It is the most viable choice, we must not lose track of ourselves, after all."

V'thon agrees.

Ilriyn
2010-05-29, 11:36 AM
"I'm not entirely sure myself." I say to Chirk. "I went back into the inn for a second, and when I come out, rays of light are being thrown around and that man, Derk was his name, right? Anyway, that man was running like a manic towards the lift, and tried to throw himself off."

arguskos
2010-05-29, 02:35 PM
V'thon and Urtelj work their way back up to Cavern 3 with little issue. Derk has fallen silent, save for the occasional whimper and burst of "ohgodsImgoingtodie". Now reunited, the party is standing on the floor of Cavern 3 in front of the Mug.

Draken
2010-05-29, 04:54 PM
V'thon is not amused with the constant complaining.

"You were about to suicide, so that shouldn't be an issue for you. In either case, if you seek and fear death, then die in a useful manner and let me feed off your miserable existance."

Nag, nag, nag, is that all the living ever do?

arguskos
2010-05-29, 05:03 PM
"It's not just death! It's oblivion! Endless utter total oblivion that awaits me! You can't imagine it!" Derk shudders, and falls silent again.

Draken
2010-05-29, 05:19 PM
V'thon would glare daggers at Derk now, if he had eyes.

He can't understand oblivion? That man needs glasses, and a bitchslap for good measure.

Holocron Coder
2010-05-30, 02:56 AM
Urtelj

Urtelj raises an eyeridge at V'thon. There will be no feeding on anyone's essence, miserable or otherwise.

That established, he turns to the rest of the group and states, My friend Derk here has some information we would like. However, I feel it is best that we discuss such things in a more secure locale.

He looks at his friend and asks, Shall we go to your shop?

Draken
2010-05-30, 08:44 PM
V'thon raises a... Nothing, actually.

"Be certain of no future, Urtelj, for it is a fickle, changing thing."

Except for my rolls. The future is not a fickle, changing thing when I try to change it with a reroll.

arguskos
2010-05-31, 11:59 AM
Derk mumbles something noncommital, and shuffles along in a fog. "Shops thattaway."

OOC:

I'm assuming someone picked up the big brass key he all but threw at you on the lift, yes?

Holocron Coder
2010-06-01, 06:24 AM
Urtelj

Urtelj nods and follows Derk, alert for any of the people he was muttering and raving about before.

I'm assuming so, yes :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-06-01, 10:16 AM
Derk's shop isn't far. It's on Cavern 3, maybe ten minutes away from the Mug. It's set back, deeper into the cavern, and when you reach it, something is obviously amiss, because the door has been bashed in.

Initiatives, if you'd please.

Ilriyn
2010-06-01, 11:00 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

Draken
2010-06-01, 11:06 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

OOC:
. . .

No comments.

Tyrael
2010-06-01, 11:13 AM
Zelgadis draws silently closer, its deadly tail instinctively rising into striking position like a scorpion.

[roll0]

Holocron Coder
2010-06-01, 02:15 PM
Urtelj

Urtelj starts at the state of the door, stopping Derk and moving the man behind him.

[roll0]

If moving Derk isn't allowed, then ok :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-06-02, 01:35 PM
Initiative:

Chirk: [roll0]
Enemies: [roll1]

Init Order:
Chirk
Ilriyn
Zelgadis
Urtelj
V'Thon
Enemies

Chirk, still somewhat absorbed by the riddle of the notebook, doesn't notice the door way is an issue for a moment.

Actions:
Chirk delays.

Holocron Coder
2010-06-02, 02:14 PM
Urtelj

Sensing ever more that this is a hostile situation, Urtelj raises his arms slightly and, with a twitch of thought, activates his unusual bracers. Bright blue, almost white, blades of some energy extend from them; two feet of dangerous energy extend over his hands in a manner reminiscent of a punching dagger.

On alert from the ruckus of the day so far, Urtelj is focused and peers into the darkness of the door, muscles almost twitching in readiness.

I'll assume that Urtelj has been psionically focused since hearing the dark templar before, since it costs nothing to upkeep. If that's not alright, let me know.

Actions:
1: Activate blades
2: [roll0]
3: Ready action to attack any hostiles that come through the door with his blades (probably only the one, first round).
[roll1]
[roll2]

Ilriyn
2010-06-02, 06:47 PM
As Ilriyn approaches the door, she grabs a sunrod from her trusty belt pouch, and strikes it as she draws it. She softly speaks a few words, and a dim spot of crackling light appears on her fingertip. She then peers around the door.

Move action to draw and strike the sunrod, standard action to cast empowered shocking grasp casting defensively (taking 1 on my concentration check), ready my touch attack if an enemy comes through the door.

Touch attack roll (If necessary): [roll0] (+3 if opponent is wearing metal armor)
Damage: [roll1]x half that roll +10 (29)

Reflex save DC 17

Draken
2010-06-02, 07:02 PM
V'thon takes the advance position in the group, trusting the darkness to provide him with protection against hidden assailants.

Actions:
Move in front of the others.

Tacitus
2010-06-02, 09:33 PM
Chirk

A little late, the frogman looks up from the book, "Intriguing..." He searches through his various pouches and produces a small gem that seems to be on fire, but does not burn. He releases it into the air near his head and it floats there, providing illumination as a torch, and providing a source for ammunition.

If pulling out the ioun stone and releasing it does not take up all my actions he will also Ready a Diminished Burning Beam (which expends a 1st level spell slot) at anything that seems obviously hostile.

Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
Light Damage: [roll1]

arguskos
2010-06-04, 09:03 PM
Nothing stirs in the dark that anyone can tell. However, there IS a faint crash from in the depths of the building.

Back to the players.

DM Only:

Enemies are two Flinds, as per MM3 pg 62. They are smashing up Derk's office, looking for Ulric's journal, and are hired guns from a noble.

Draken
2010-06-04, 09:09 PM
V'thon strides deeper into the building and the room, hovering a few feet above the ground.

Holocron Coder
2010-06-05, 10:45 PM
Urtelj

With an glance at Derk, Urtelj also steps inside, watching for movement in the dark. He readies his blades in case of attack.

Use attack rolls from last round.
[roll0]

Ilriyn
2010-06-06, 04:40 PM
Bearing the sunrod aloft, Ilriyn quietly walks into the building, poised for sudden action.

Move towards the back of the building, taking two move actions. Unless, I see something threatening before I take my second move action, in which case I will use total defense.

Perception: [roll0]

Tyrael
2010-06-06, 05:27 PM
Zelgadis creeps forward, all four glowing eyes on high alert as its inhuman gaze pierces the darkness.

Darkvision 60ft, [roll0]

WOO NATURAL 20!

Tacitus
2010-06-06, 10:07 PM
Chirk

After a few moments of absolutely nothing happening the little frogman waddles over to the nearest wall of Derk's shop and places his hand against it. He tests his fingertips on it a few times and then looks up and begins to climb as the book finds its way into his pack.

30ft Climb Speed.
Acrobatics: [roll0] if you want a climb check.

arguskos
2010-06-08, 02:19 PM
Zelgadis and Urtelj:

You hear some rustling, like those of riffling through papers at high speed, then you hear some metal on metal noises, clinking, and then silence. It's coming from the upstairs, in the back of the building.

Urtelj:

That's the direction of Derk's office. Also, where the hell IS Derk? Did you just leave him outside?

Ilriyn:

You hear some metal clinking together from the upstairs, then nothing.

Chirk:

You get up the wall 10 ft. I assumed you meant the outside, yes? Looking in the window on the second floor, you see a faint light from a closed room at the back of the shop.

V'thon:

You drift forward. Nothing especial happens. :smalltongue:

DM Only:

The flinds have heard the party, but think it's actually Derk, coming back for some reason. They are pretty angry about not finding anything, and are waiting inside his office, ready to bust the head on anyone that walks in. There's no entrance to the office besides one door, so they're just waiting inside of it. They'll wait two rounds before coming out to find him.

Tyrael
2010-06-08, 02:33 PM
Zelgadis turns its eyestalks back towards the party. <There is someone up in the office,> the Kelfiirian explains tersely.

Holocron Coder
2010-06-08, 02:46 PM
Urtelj

Not wanting to treat Derk like some sort of improvised shield, Urtelj tugs at the man's arm, feeling like he is dragging along a reluctant child. Do I have to force you along? Urtelj asks the man, silent to the rest, Or can I trust you to follow along and not run off?

arguskos
2010-06-08, 02:49 PM
Derk mumbles, and sits down in a corner of his store. "Sure whatever. I'll be here or something."

Holocron Coder
2010-06-08, 02:59 PM
Urtelj

The protoss narrows his eyes at his friend a moment before turning around and heading towards the stairs. Just because his friend was acting off did not make him no longer his friend. A trusted friend, at that. Urtelj could just hope that the man did not attempt to do anything rash, again.

The broken door behind their group put Urtelj on edge a bit, and as he quietly moved, as best he could, toward the office upstairs, he prepared his defenses.

Move - go towards stairs
[roll0]
Standard - Manifest Force Screen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/forcescreen.htm)

HP - 32/34
PP - 36/39
AC - 19

Draken
2010-06-09, 10:36 PM
V'thon...

Does nothing.

Yep.

Not much he can do given the circunstances.

Tacitus
2010-06-09, 10:48 PM
Chirk

The frogman tries lifting at the window to get it open, hopefully with some measure of silence to it, but if he cannot get it open with one go he'll climb back down.

Strength check? [roll0] Either +0 or -4 if Small applies, I never can remember
Again, he's got a climb speed, but if you need the check: [roll1]
Though now that I think of it, 23 for taking ten cause people with a climb speed can just do that.

Ilriyn
2010-06-11, 09:33 PM
Ilriyn slides towards the stairs, then quickly bounds up them. She She quickly looks around, hand held high in case of attack.

Move action to go up stairs, ready standard action to attack anything that attacks me, if nothing attacks, move action to move towards derk's office.

Just in case, my attack and damage rolls were:
Melee Touch Attack: 23
Damage w/ Empower Shocking Grasp: 29
Reflex Save DC 17/half
Target knocked prone if it fails its save

Tyrael
2010-06-14, 01:11 PM
Zelgadis follows Ilriyn up the stairs cautiously, its glowing eyes on the alert.

arguskos
2010-06-14, 01:51 PM
The office is at the back of the store, maybe 30-40 feet from where the stairs reach the landing on the second floor. There's a light on inside the office, but you can't see much else. There is an audible clinking of metal on metal for a moment, then silence.

OOC:

Perception checks, if you wish. Otherwise, back to you guys.

Chirk, that's plenty fine. You're about 50 ft from the office, and can see the others.

Draken
2010-06-15, 04:07 PM
Listen checks? What are those? I have something called perception on my sheet but no such thing as Listen. :smalltongue:

Perception/Listen: [roll0]

V'thon shifts in place.

arguskos
2010-06-15, 04:18 PM
OOC:

I'm juggling a lot, most of which involves Listen nor Perception. :smallsigh::smalltongue:

Also, tired. Sue me. :smalltongue:

Ilriyn
2010-06-15, 04:34 PM
Ilriyn cautiously moves closer to the office, pausing often to listen.

Perception: [roll0]

Holocron Coder
2010-06-15, 10:23 PM
Urtelj

Urtelj manifests another power, a faint shield appearing in a dome around him as he continues towards the office.

[roll0]

Move - go towards office
Standard - Manifest Deflection Shield

HP - 32/34
PP - 35/39
AC - 23

Tyrael
2010-06-15, 11:24 PM
Zelgadis creeps forward, straining its sensitive ears.

[roll0]

Tacitus
2010-06-18, 12:39 PM
Chirk

The frogman slips in through the window and waddles forward, pulling out his staff as he does so, and prepares to summon forth a small bit of excess magical energy

Move Silently: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Readied Action to Diminished Magister's Missiles anything particularly dangerous looking that isn't an ally. He'd pull out something bigger if he knew for certain something needed to die, but eh, its a free 3 damage ping at long range. XD