PDA

View Full Version : DnD 3.5 rogue

Arkhemedes
2010-05-19, 04:01 PM
I am picking up Dnd again, i am not a big fan of 4e. Anyway i want to make a rogue focuesd on dealing damage. Weapon finesse high dexterity would be nice. Also we are planning to game for awhile so prestige classes are welcome more than one but not to crazy. I just would like some input havn't played in a long time. :smallsmile:

Greenish
2010-05-19, 04:03 PM
What books are available to you?

If you want Finesse-based damage, I suggest Daring Outlaw (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070105a&page=4) and going something like rogue 3/swashbuckler 17. Simple and pretty strong.

Eldariel
2010-05-19, 04:06 PM
I am picking up Dnd again, i am not a big fan of 4e. Anyway i want to make a rogue focuesd on dealing damage. Weapon finesse high dexterity would be nice. Also we are planning to game for awhile so prestige classes are welcome more than one but not to crazy. I just would like some input havn't played in a long time. :smallsmile:

Tome of Battle has Swordsage which would make a good dip even if you use Rogue as your main class. Strongheart Halfling, Whisper Gnome and Human are all reasonable races; Human more skill monkey while the other two better sneaks (Strongheart Halfling has a bonus feat, Whisper Gnome is a 30' mover). You'll probably want mainly Rogue as nothing else gives Sneak Attack + Skill Points and it actually has class features too.

But yeah, Tome of Battle has Shadow Blade (great feat for TWF Weapon Finesse fighter; and yeah, you should TWF if you want to deal a lot of damage - it gives you Dexterity to damage) and Swordsage-levels increase your mobility and even grant you extra Sneak Attack.

Other than that, Dungeonscape has Penetrating Strike that replaces Trap Sense and allows you to deal ½ your Sneak Attack damage to normally immune opponents by flanking them. Then you want Darkstalker [Lords of Madness] (allows hiding from things with superior senses like Blindsense, Tremorsense, Blindsight, etc.) and Craven [Champions of Ruin] (adds your level to Sneak Attack damage).

This is assuming you have a lot of sources open, of course. In Core, you can't do much beyond Two-Weapon Fight Weapon Finesse Dex/Con/Int focus with some Wis and Cha for skills.

Arkhemedes
2010-05-19, 04:07 PM
I have a lot of them like complete adventurer complete scoundrel, that kind of stuff
and if i do not have probably one of my friends do so any of books are pretty much avalible.
Edit: Found a race with plus 6 dex plus 2 wisdom and -2 intelleligence they are Githzerai

Amphetryon
2010-05-19, 04:09 PM
Remember you won't qualify for Weapon Finesse at level 1. Two Weapon Fighting is your friend.

Arkhemedes
2010-05-19, 04:11 PM
I think our Dm said we awere probably starting around 4th or 5th level, but we are going to do some steady gaming for awhile with many levels more to come

Arkhemedes
2010-05-19, 04:13 PM
Went into the man cave and couldnt find the tome of battle.

Greenish
2010-05-19, 04:15 PM
Went into the man cave and couldnt find the tome of battle.Shame, it's one of the best things to happen to 3.5 melee.

So, are you looking for anything specific beyond finesse damage?

Arkhemedes
2010-05-19, 04:17 PM
GAH Im sorry guys I totally mislead you I just figured out somebody made a rogue before me :smallfurious: ah well I always wanted to try out a bard because everyone in my gaming experince thinks bards are weak so that would be cool if i could show them up.

Gauntlet
2010-05-19, 04:18 PM
The problem with Githzerai is that you're giving up on two levels for that dex bonus. That means you lose a good chunk of hit points, and so if you happen to get hit then you probably won't be moving much afterwards. You'll also lose out on damage and gain little to hit- +6 dex means +3 to hit. Those 2 levels you lose get you +1 to +2 to hit, and +1d6 Sneak attack.

Greenish
2010-05-19, 04:19 PM
GAH Im sorry guys I totally mislead you I just figured out somebody made a rogue before me :smallfurious: ah well I always wanted to try out a bard because everyone in my gaming experince thinks bards are weak so that would be cool if i could show them up.The bard handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870498/The_Bards_Handbook). Bards are awesome, show 'em good!

Arkhemedes
2010-05-19, 04:19 PM
Never mind thanks man!

Tinydwarfman
2010-05-19, 04:23 PM
GAH Im sorry guys I totally mislead you I just figured out somebody made a rogue before me :smallfurious: ah well I always wanted to try out a bard because everyone in my gaming experince thinks bards are weak so that would be cool if i could show them up.

Go for either:
Inspire Courage optimization
Stacking Charisma bonuses to attack/AC/damage (won't work quite as well w/o ToB)
Casting with Sublime Chord if you're a high enough level.

Doc Roc
2010-05-19, 04:25 PM
Some bards of mine:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AYdLcxsM7Nx0ZGc2NzhibjNfNjZmazVnbnRoYg&hl=en
Recommend boomerang daze asap.

her original, of less use to you in all respects, presented merely because I'm stupidly proud of it:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AYdLcxsM7Nx0ZGc2NzhibjNfNTNocnFrYjlmcQ&hl=en

Arkhemedes
2010-05-19, 04:58 PM
What would be the best kind of weapon for a bard im going to be using dragonfire insperation + snowflake wardance :amused:

Doc Roc
2010-05-19, 05:08 PM
I favor boomerang daze + boomerang over snowflake wardance. If you are a talenta halfling, or any talenta regional, you get the req'd EWP for free, so it's the same feat cost for a far more devastating effect. Also, boomerangs.

lsfreak
2010-05-19, 05:15 PM
What would be the best kind of weapon for a bard im going to be using dragonfire insperation + snowflake wardance :amused:

My preference is scimitar or longsword, depending on other details of the build. Generally scimitar though, I like the increased crit range over an extra point of average damage.

Arkhemedes
2010-05-19, 05:18 PM
Well i am only going to be using one handed weapons so that would be the best or maybe a Longsword or somthing or another to do mroe damage

Solophoenix
2010-05-19, 06:23 PM
Crystal Echoblade, Magic Item Compendium.

Longsword that does extra damage when you sing, goes great with Snowflake Wardance's dancing.

Unleash the fabulous musical number of death!