PDA

View Full Version : card based "rolling."

Shinizak
2010-05-19, 07:32 PM
My friend and I are thinking about making an rpg in our free time (just as a thing to think about) and it came to mind that there were no systems based on playing cards. We've been taking leads from oWoD as far as mechanics go, but I was wondering what your thoughts and ideas were.

Kaun
2010-05-19, 07:36 PM
1st Ed Deadlands used Playing cards for a lot of their mechanics but dice were all so used.

And it was good, but slow at times.

Dragero
2010-05-19, 08:22 PM
I`ve actualy thought it`d be a cool idea, but with a few problems:

More than 1 of a number in a row would be hard(er)

You`d be able to rig the deck to able to tell what comes next

Cards wear out after lots of play

Shuffling can be.....inconsistant at times. (ie: Cards clumping)

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-19, 08:23 PM
The general practice is: Red=good, black=bad for many "rolls".

In addition, how strong the card is defines the magnitude of the good or bad.

Shinizak
2010-05-19, 08:27 PM
Hmm. I was thinking of this there are thre types of draws you have to make.

One where you must collect up to a certain number like black jack (collect as close as you can without going over)

One where you simply lay out a certain number of cards, each verses a number (so the DM could have pre existing numbers or in a one on one attempt, make contested draws)

And one where you must try to collect more of a certain suit then the DM's number (either pre-set or must make contested draws)

Edge of Dreams
2010-05-19, 08:33 PM
I've played Settlers of Catan a couple times with a card deck instead of rolling.

We made 72 cards (2 for each possible combination of 2d6) and put them in a deck. By having 72 instead of 36, we figured it would be a bit more random, and be more likely to not have to re-shuffle the deck.

The games went pretty much as normal, but there was the oddity that the gambler's fallacy actually works in this scenario: if a 6 hasn't been "rolled" in a long time, it really IS more likely that a 6 will come up soon.

Semidi
2010-05-19, 08:59 PM
I'd look up the way Mind's Eye Theatre for New World of Darkness (not oWoD as oWoD used rock paper scissors).

Basically how it works is that you determine your base to take an action (same way you determine a dice pool in tabletop). You then draw a card. Add the total up. You then determine the number of successes gained based on how high that number is.

For instance, someone with a strength of three and brawl of two would have a base of 5. You then draw a card. Aces are auto-fail. Tens are auto-success and you get to draw again. Let's say you draw a 9. That's one success.

Other things are factored into the base like defense, modifiers--that sort of thing--but it's all pretty basic.

The Big Dice
2010-05-19, 09:31 PM
1st Ed Deadlands used Playing cards for a lot of their mechanics but dice were all so used.

And it was good, but slow at times.

Deadlands was great fun, but the combination of poker hands, poker chips, dice and multiple trackers along the edge of character sheets got clunky.

That said, I don't see why a game couldn't run off a standard deck of cards. Sure, they will wear out eventually, but it's not like cards are expensive.