PDA

View Full Version : Summer Reading list

Ing
2006-07-19, 01:04 AM
Now everyone knows there are certian comics/graphic novels/web comics that are almost considered required reading. Why not start a list with people giving their submissions on what they feel is truely the best comic formated literary works to read over the summer. my submisions

Calvin and Hobbs
Far Side
The Watchmen

Steward
2006-07-19, 01:23 AM
1) All-Star Batman & Robin
2) Garfield
3) Red Son
4) Inuyasha: The Manga (Note: You might want to dedicate more than a season to finish this).
5) VG Cats
6) Dilbert
7) Ultimate Marvel
)8] The Guy who Watches the Watchmen

BelkarsDagger
2006-07-19, 01:45 AM
Irregular Webcomic! (www.irregularwebcomic.net) - Funny, free, and legoriffic. Also updates daily.

Dork Tower (www.dorktower.com) - Good artwork, good gaming jokes.

Jack Squat
2006-07-19, 01:51 AM
Casey and Andy

The Order of the Stick (duh, but just to make the list complete)

Ing
2006-07-19, 09:16 AM
1) All-Star Batman & Robin
2) Garfield
3) Red Son
4) Inuyasha: The Manga (Note: You might want to dedicate more than a season to finish this).
5) VG Cats
6) Dilbert
7) Ultimate Marvel
)8] The Guy who Watches the Watchmen

what is the guy who watches the Watchmen? any relatin to The Watchmen?

Taio
2006-07-19, 09:17 AM
1) The Ultimate Spider-man Series
2) The Fantastic Spider-man Series
3) Exalted Series
4) Marvel Zombies
5) The Ultimate Wolverine Series
6) Spider-Girl Series (I'm a guy... I have to. ::))

Steward
2006-07-19, 02:26 PM
what is the guy who watches the Watchmen? any relatin to The Watchmen?

Well, yeah.

Remember the old-saying, "Who Watches the Watchmen?"

Adjudicator
2006-07-19, 02:28 PM
1) Anything Ultimate except Ulitmate F4 (man that sucked)
2) Robert E. Howard (for shame if you don't recognize his name right away and you play D&D, he practically invented modern fantash. He wrote all of the Conan stuff out there and then killed himself at 30 years old)
3) All Star Superman (All star batman is pop trash)
4) Green Lantern Corps and Green Lantern
5) His Excellency: A biography of George Washington
6) All the law stuff I have to read for my doctorate, some of which is interesting, some of which is very, very boring.

Do you mean "quis custodiet ipsos custodes"? Literally translates to "Who guards the guardians" and is attributed to Juvenal's Satires. Not sure I know of a book using that tag line though.

Ing
2006-07-19, 02:32 PM
Well, yeah.

So...they made a sequal to Watchmen?

Steward
2006-07-19, 03:32 PM
So...they made a sequal to Watchmen?

No. That would be a terrible idea. They should make a comic strip about the guy who has to protect the watchmen as they protect other people.

Do you mean "quis custodiet ipsos custodes"? Literally translates to "Who guards the guardians" and is attributed to Juvenal's Satires. Not sure I know of a book using that tag line though.

I know. It was a joke. I'm sorry.

ElfMaster2000
2006-07-19, 03:37 PM
I'm afraid the only thing I can say is to second the nomination for Calvin and Hobbes. It is truly the greatest peice of literary work ever created. It's at the top of the list for every genre imaginable.

Fishies
2006-07-19, 03:59 PM
The noob (http://www.thenoobcomic.com/)
Goblins (http://thunt.comicgen.com/)

warmachine
2006-07-19, 04:46 PM
US:
The entire Preacher series
Give Me Liberty
Batman: the Killing Joke

UK:
Judge Dredd: Satan's Island
Bad Company: Goodbye, Krool World
The Complete Ballad of Halo Jones
Skizz
The entire Nickolai Dante series

Did I ever tell you I'm a 2000AD fan?

Kontonshin
2006-07-20, 01:12 AM
_The Invisibles_
_The Watchmen_
_Cages_ (if you can get your hands on it)

King_of_Oz
2006-07-20, 01:36 PM
Any Terry Pratchett books you can get your hands on, I especially recommend the ones based in and around the city of Ankh-Morpork.

evileeyore
2006-07-20, 03:22 PM
2) Robert E. Howard (for shame if you don't recognize his name right away and you play D&D, he practically invented modern fantash. He wrote all of the Conan stuff out there and then killed himself at 30 years old)

Just be wary to actually get the ones written by Howard, not the tripe rewritten (and ruined) by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter.

Grrr.... they make me so angry.

Also every one should add H.P. Lovercraft to your reading lists. At least this way you'll understand where teh Sahuagin and Illithid have come from.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

hyikim
2006-07-20, 11:21 PM
I should probably get started on my book for school, thaks for reminding me. >:(

roguemomof7
2006-07-21, 12:38 AM
If you want something totally different to read this summer in the comic/graphic novel format, try these:

Adventures of Tintin series by Herge
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-9182336-4498215?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=adventures+of+tintin&Go.x=10&Go.y=11

Asterix the Gaul by Goscinny & Underzo
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_hs/103-9182336-4498215?platform=gurupa&url=index%3Dblended&keywor ds=asterix+the+gaul&Go.x=11&Go.y=8

Those links take you to Amazon (where else?) so you can see the titles in the series. They are also available at some bookstores and libraries.

These are the original granddaddies of graphic novels, published in oversized paperback format starting in the fifties, I believe, after having been serialized in magazines before that. The earliest Tintin in the series dates to the thirties (!!!!!) Tintin is a young reporter who gets involved in all sorts of exciting adventures ala James Bond (without the girls!). Check out his adventures on the moon circa 1955!

Asterix the Gaul, with his companion Obelix, the druid Getafix, bard Cacofonix, and village chief Vitalstatistix live in a little villiage in Gaul in 50 BC that has not yet surrendered to the Romans, thanks to the magic potion Getafix brews that gives Asterix super strength. And so on and so on in the same LMAO fashion not unlike OOTS! You can't miss this!

Pardon my long-windedness if you've already read these but I couldn't resist just in case there's a noob or two who has not yet discovered the wonders of the two best original graphic novel series ever. Ever.

Happy reading!

Quixotic
2006-07-21, 12:43 AM
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, vols. I and II. [If we all believe really hard, maybe the movie will never have happened.]

Ing
2006-07-21, 05:28 PM
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, vols. I and II. [If we all believe really hard, maybe the movie will never have happened.]

I hear they're considering the TOm Sawyer guy from that movie to play the Joker