PDA

View Full Version : Good sayings for a… warrior!

Greenish
2010-05-20, 12:14 AM
Because all the cool kids do it. I don't mean just the NPC class, I mean the general archetype: fighters, warblades, warriors, knights… beatsticks!

First something shamelessly ripped from a rather popular MMORPG:I am the Warrior.

When you see me, I will, most likely, not be attired formally. I will be encased in my steel. It will be dirty, bloody, and battered. I do not have a quick tongue or eloquent speech. I know nothing of the manners of the King's court, or the ettiquette of the formal ball.

I am known by many names. Tank. Meatshield. Fighter. Brawler. Corpse.

I am the Warrior.

I have not the capability, nor the inclination, to hide. I cannot strike from stealth with devastating blows, then fade into the darkness. I cannot incinerate a foe from twenty paces away. I cannot deal death from a distance, safe from the return attacks of my enemy. In order to kill, I must close with the enemy. I see his eyes. I smell his breath. I taste his fear. And he tastes mine.

I cannot bend Nature to do my bidding. I cannot tap into the Nether and force it to do what I command. I cannot study the arcane and master it to my control. I command nought but my mind, my body, and my will. It is by those, and those alone, that I stand or fall.

I have no friends on my journey. No walkers of the void, summoned from the Nether as servants and bodyguards. No loyal beasts of the plains or woods, to defend me and comfort me in my pain. My sole companion is my weapon. I must care for it better than any hunter has ever cared for his beast. I must master it more than any malconvoker has ever mastered his demons. Without me, it is useless. Without it, I am nothing.

I cannot heal. I cannot shield. I cannot call upon the gods and see my prayers answered. I call to the spirits of my ancestors in the heat of battle, and they are silent. My only ability to protect is to offer myself, my blood and bone and sinew, as a sacrifice. To draw the attacks of our foes. To take the blows that would kill a lesser being, and continue to fight on.

I cannot kill with the speed and grace of the rogue, the suddenness and shock of the ranger, or the flamboyance and power of the mage. When I kill, it is a slow business. Slow and bloody for all concerned, myself included. I fight on, pummeled and battered so that my companions may receive the glory of the kill and the wreaths of victory. If I die and they yet live, it is an expected sacrifice.

I come in all races, all sizes. I fight under a thousand flags, on a million battlefields. I am dismissed by the highborn, scorned by the noble, lectured by the priest, and forgotten by the peasant. Until the time when the trumpets of battle sound, and those who would destroy them come forth. And then the cry goes up..."Where, oh where, is the Warrior?"

Pray to your gods that I continue to answer that call.

Few do answer the call. Fewer still survive. It is a long and hard road, this way of the Warrior. Along it lie pain, and fear, and death. Scant rewards and scanter gratitude. At the end, for most, is an anonymous grave on some windblown battlefield. If they are lucky.

And yet, I fight on. I do not even know why. Perhaps for glory, perhaps for fame, perhaps for money, perhaps for my country, perhaps for my family. Perhaps it is simply all I know how to do. But fight I will. Whether you appreciate it or not. Whether you even notice it or not. I will be out there, on the battle lines. Fighting. Killing. Dying.

I am the Warrior.

Death is my business.

Be it yours...or mine.

As the copper that is traded throughout world, so is our blood on the battlefield, with only the promise of enduring overtime in endless battles, I shall seek a quick end to my demise, though fortitude and will guide me, it is the rage of battle wich fuels me.

Knowing I move in by morning and leave at night, I am humbled each day, by each sunrise and sunset.

It is only fear that I fear, with the blood of my ancestors I press on in there footsteps. I seek the worst world has to offer, knowing my weapon only will be remembered for whose blood it bears, it offers a legacy to those to follow in our path.

If we should meet on an open battlefield, I should be slain with haste, for it is the blood of battle that makes me stronger, and the cries of fallen warriors that enrages me, should a swift death be granted, you have spared your life and made those to come after me stronger.

As the fires spread and the battles rage across world, you will find me, not dead, but alive and full of fury, like a whirlwind I will reap the battlefields and stain them red, for it is all I know, and I should think that someday there will be no more wars, because someday the chaos should be subdued by those brave enough to sense the urgency, and yield to the call.

My armor is not shiny or polished and my weapons are not cleaned, I should kneel before kings and nobles, for it is not my matter to mingle in the polotics of such affairs or speak with great words. My honor, my courage serve me well and are cast before my companions to protect those who can entertain such grandeur.

I am rarely fortunate enough to escape my foes, and it is this that has made me master my weapons and raise them in defiance.

If I should see death and know it is mine, I shall intercept it, I will demoralize it in defiance before I go, I will shred its tendons and slow its progress as it seeks out my faction, and if time permits I should disarm death so that it may overtake itself.

Should our weapons cross, and our wills collide, may the better warrior win.

Flame of Anor
2010-05-20, 12:19 AM
I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

--Rudyard Kipling

Optimystik
2010-05-20, 12:30 AM
[Insert Duke Nukem catchphrase here]

Malificus
2010-05-20, 12:35 AM
[Insert Duke Nukem catchphrase here]

[insert Minsk catchphrase here]

Eat Steel. Fear my blade [antagonist].

Prodan
2010-05-20, 12:36 AM
I shall smite thee with my mighty blade.

Lycan 01
2010-05-20, 12:42 AM
"{name} SMASH!!!"

"BANZAI!!"

"You can either walk away, or try to draw your blade. But by the time you have it brandished, I will have already drawn my sword and spilt your blood. Its your life..." - Butchered variation of Josey Wales' warning to bounty hunters, who walked away and then came back to try their luck. He made good on his promise.

Malificus
2010-05-20, 12:46 AM
I got a maneuver for ya. Here, I'll give you a hint. It starts with me, and ends you. I call it [/power attack/ToB maneuver].

PId6
2010-05-20, 12:51 AM
"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb. That's the Team (Insert Team Name Here) way!"

"Mine is the (Insert Weapon) that will pierce the heavens!"

"Who the hell do you think I am?"

Ravens_cry
2010-05-20, 01:04 AM
I can not rend reality with a word. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm)I can not call upon a god to grant me unknowable power. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm) I can not summon Natures fury to fight my battles. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm)
But I can still end you.

The Tygre
2010-05-20, 01:25 AM
"What is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!"

Escheton
2010-05-20, 01:28 AM
That one's mine! Then that one! And that one, ow and them 3 if my anger lasts.

Flame of Anor
2010-05-20, 01:36 AM
"Mine is the (Insert Weapon) that will pierce the heavens!"

Pierce/slash/bludgeon the heavens as the case may be. :smallwink:

Zen Master
2010-05-20, 02:05 AM
'You know, given any choice in the matter, I'd much rather have a pint down at Grungnirs than have to slaughter my way through the lot of you - I guess things never are that simple, eh?'

'The difference between you and me? Ten minutes from now, I'll be having a pint down at Grungnirs, while you'll be trying to explain your sins to whatever ill-spawned god will take you.'

'What, you again? And I thought I was so thorough last time. Oh well, back to work then.'

'... what, again. Look, I know this hurts you a lot more than it does me - why don't you just stay dead?'

'A legion of men has died trying to prevent me from coming here - do you really think throwing more men at me is the proper answer here?'

'You know - setting out, I bet a guy like you thinks he'll never run into a guy like me. That's what being evil is about, right - thinking you'll never get caught? Well, I hope you had fun, because times up. Time to pay the ferryman.'

'Look, I know you want to do this the hard way, but the outcome really is already given. There is mercy in a swift death, isn't there? If you just kneel down, you'll be facing judgement in whatever afterlife awaits, and you wont even feel the blade. Come on - make it easy on yourself, it's your last chance, ever.'

Ravens_cry
2010-05-20, 02:13 AM
If it bleeds, I can kill it.

Umael
2010-05-20, 02:15 AM
"Today is a good day to die!"

"Normally, this is when I make a witty remark and then kick your ass. But I'm a little new to this, so why don't we just jump to the part where I kick your ass?"

"Say hello to my little friend!"

"Ye-haw! This is the life!"

"BANZAI!"

(slightly anachronistic) "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum!"

"I'm the best at what I do!"

"I'm your worst nightmare, baby!"

((Yes, I do believe that warriors should be all gung-ho, and I draw a lot of my inspiration from comic book heroes and action flick movies. Mind you, now I want to do a warrior for a D&D game where the concept for the character is based on Darkwing Duck...))

Malificus
2010-05-20, 02:39 AM
If it bleeds, I can kill it.

If it doesn't, I can break it.

Greenish
2010-05-20, 02:52 AM
"I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash 'eads, break faces, and stomp on da bits dat are left. An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Kurald Galain
2010-05-20, 02:55 AM
"Some people say I'm not subtle enough. You know what? They're dead."

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-20, 04:50 AM
If it doesn't, I can break it.

If I can't break it, I can bull rush him in a nasty place.

DeafnotDumb
2010-05-20, 04:56 AM
"Today is a good day for somebody else to die!"

Fixed that for you.

Ashtar
2010-05-20, 05:00 AM
"'Tis but a scratch!"

"it's just a flesh wound."

"Come on, you pansy! "

"I can still fight!"

Farlion
2010-05-20, 05:29 AM
"What is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!"

Oh yeah! Conan all the way!

"There's no problem, that can't be solved using violence. If that doesn't work, use more violence"

"A mace to the face says more than a thousand words"

"Always remember: 5 feet of solid steel in your hands ARE a good argument"

Cheers,
Farlion

Zen Master
2010-05-20, 07:02 AM
"Some people say I'm not subtle enough. You know what? They're dead."

Some people think they can ... outsmart me.

Maybe *snort*

Maybe ....

I've yet to meet one that can outsmart Greatsword!

Boci
2010-05-20, 07:14 AM
This had some, although from an elven perspective:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143261&highlight=mama+warblade

Drakevarg
2010-05-20, 08:23 AM
"If resorting to violence hasn't solved all of your problems, you've failed to resort to enough of it."

"Take away a wizard's spellbook and he's little more than a terrified peasant. Take away my sword and I can STILL rip your damn arms out of their sockets."

9mm
2010-05-20, 09:01 AM
I like swords...

Asheram
2010-05-20, 09:24 AM
"What is best in life?"

Cohen the Barbarian

"What's the best in life?"

"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper"

Morty
2010-05-20, 09:33 AM
"There's a logic to this chaos. Hit them with everything you've got. Hit them hard, hit them fast, hit them till they stop moving. That's logic."
A quote from Masters of the Wild that I personally like.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-20, 09:37 AM
"Violence is the answer. If it isn't, apply Excessive Violence."

"You call that running? Either your stride gets longer or your life gets shorter! Faster, you sonofabitches!"

"I don't know but I've been told, excersize will save my soul!"

"Magic trick? I can do those too. Wanna see?" *picks up a sharp stick*

(For an unarmed combatant:) "Heel, meet face. Face, meet heel."

"Compensating for something? Maybe. Lets see if you still think that once I'm done shoving this sword up your - "

"I'm gonna slash you, bash you, break yer skull, chew you, **** you out, set muh feces fire, and then stomp the ashes! And then I gonna get real mean!" (I don't remember the exact words of Grimgor, but that was the general spirit.)

Tiki Snakes
2010-05-20, 09:39 AM
Conan, you say?
When captured; "...Free my hands and I'll varnish this floor with your brains!"

On strength; "Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!"

On Pursuit; "You cannot escape me!" he roared. "Lead me into a trap and I'll pile the heads of your kinsmen at your feet! Hide from me and I'll tear apart the mountains to find you! I'll follow you to hell!"

To Scantily Clad Slave Girls; Conan's hand fell heavily on her naked shoulder.
"Stand aside, girl," he mumbled. "Now is the feasting of swords."

On Clerics?; "If that's true, then answer this priest, why are we in these pits, hiding from some animal?" Conan asked "Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."

Some of these could be adapted quite nicely, I think. :smallwink:

Fayd
2010-05-20, 09:43 AM
I am a warrior. It is my job to stick pointy bits of metal into things until they are either dead or, if they already are, to have the decency to stop moving around like that.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-20, 09:58 AM
Hulk SMASH!

Ravens_cry
2010-05-20, 12:03 PM
"Hey look buddy, I'm an Fighter, that means I solve problems. Not problems like 'What is beauty?', because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems. Fr'instance, how am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer, use a sword*. And if that don't work, use more sword*."
Not all of us use intelligence as a dump stat.

*or weapon of choice.

Drakevarg
2010-05-20, 02:19 PM
"Hey look buddy, I'm an Fighter, that means I solve problems. Not problems like 'What is beauty?', because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems. Fr'instance, how am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer, use a sword*. And if that don't work, use more sword*."
Not all of us use intelligence as a dump stat.

*or weapon of choice.

I actually used that one in conversation yesterday. :smalltongue:

A quote for someone who survived an encounter with a warrior-
"He hit me! With a TREE!"

Darcy
2010-05-20, 02:53 PM
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

Wrong universe, right attitude.

oxybe
2010-05-20, 04:19 PM
i'm-a warrior, i'm-a gonna win!

what?

stenver
2010-05-20, 04:29 PM
I SMASH PUNY THINGS!
smash Smash SMASH!!!!

I SMASH YOU!

MY CLUB SMASH YOU!

What did you say? I SMASH YOU!

You look like an encounter. SMASH SMASHM SMASH!!!

MachineWraith
2010-05-20, 05:35 PM
“When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king.”
— Conan the Cimmerian

Always liked that one :D.

Some easily adapted ones:

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."
—Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

"Good, bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
-Ash, Army of Darkness

"I've drunk more beer and banged more <bleep!> and pissed more blood and stomped more ass that all of you numbnuts put together."
-Gunny Highway, Heartbreak Ridge.

Jail Binger: "What the hell's that supposed to mean, grunge <bleep!>."
Highway: "It means: Be advised. I'm mean, nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round in a flea's <bleep!> at 200 meters. So why don't you go hump somebody else's leg, mutt face, before I push yours in."
-Gunny Highway, Heartbreak Ridge

mikeejimbo
2010-05-20, 05:39 PM
All of these (http://www.hitechcj.com/afrl/id69.html) are good.

IonDragon
2010-05-20, 07:28 PM
All of these (http://www.hitechcj.com/afrl/id69.html) are good.

I tried to go to that page, but it started playing an add in the background. This bothered me for more than one reason so I closed the tab.

Traveler
2010-05-20, 09:09 PM
"Birds sing, grass grows, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people."

"Today is a good day for you to die."

"A little of the top then?"

"I'll take the half one the left."

Iku Rex
2010-05-20, 09:30 PM
A couple of videos with a few decent quotes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSR9W8g6ak8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gSJW3sHXE

Darius Rae
2010-05-20, 10:26 PM
Go for the eyes, Boo!

Adrayll
2010-05-20, 10:34 PM
"I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash 'eads, break faces, and stomp on da bits dat are left. An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Grimgor Ironhide. YES.
Really, anything from that codex works, especially

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

Dr.Epic
2010-05-20, 10:35 PM
Anything from Korgoth of Barbaria.

IonDragon
2010-05-20, 11:24 PM
"I woke up this morning. This have pretty much gone down hill from there"

Drakevarg
2010-05-20, 11:34 PM
Some stuff from my campaign journal. I think Vorin makes a pretty good posterchild for "psychotic warrior."

"One time I got a target who'd been renting a room at the local inn... right next door to mine." Vorin replied with a fanged grin.

"Lemme guess. You just smashed through the wall and grabbed him." Vinius remarked, glancing at Vorin's heavily muscled arms, which were nearly as thick as the aasimar's head.

"Pfff. Hardly. I used the door." Vorin replied, as if he found the idea ludicrous. "Then I tackled him through the window." he finished, immeadiately subverting the idea of him finding anything ludicrous.

"Wha... why?" Thorin sputtered in confusion.

"Wouldn't be fun otherwise." Grinned the gnoll. "Unfortunately he wound up breaking my axe's fall. Good thing we got a decent healer in town."

Kaun
2010-05-20, 11:35 PM
"Sword goes in, Guts come out, Thats what fightings all about!"

"They say never hit a man with a closed fist. Though it is on occassion hilarious"

Iku Rex
2010-05-20, 11:48 PM
Groo is the greatest warrior ever!

http://wiki.groo.com/index.php?title=Quotes

SethFahad
2010-05-21, 04:31 AM
If I may, I want to post an epic song...

shrill of the horn screams my name
pounding the ground
the games begin
the crowd they roar
the blood it boils inside me
i fear not you you fear not me
the swords are drawn
and shimmering
the time has come again
to honor our king

the gods have blessed
this wicked game
fight we must and show no shame
for the time has come again
to feed our blood thirsty king

i look into your eyes
reflections of the sky
a whisper on the wind
as your soul says goodbye

reds sands underneath my feet
stained by the blood
i draw from thee
red sands as far as i can see
tainted these lands
stained by history

Red Sands (Kamelot)

Critical
2010-05-21, 04:36 AM
"Oh my god, who touched Sasha?" :smallbiggrin:

Cookiemobsta
2010-05-21, 06:00 AM
"Violence is not the answer. It's the question. As in: 'Violence?'
The answer is "Yes, of course!"

Killer Angel
2010-05-21, 06:04 AM
My brother is a wizard. And I never need his help.

comicshorse
2010-05-21, 08:18 AM
Mainly I just hurt people

HasegawaTakumi
2010-05-21, 08:37 AM
"Rip their flesh
Burn their hearts
Stab them in the eyes
Rape their women as they cry
Kill their servants
Burn their homes
Till there's no blood left to spill"