PDA

View Full Version : Where do Superhero movies take place?

Jarl
2006-07-26, 04:14 AM
... well, there you have it.

Superhero movies take the pre-existing comic world and re-arrange it to make it more accessible to an uninitiated audience in the space of two hours. I never really thought about it at all until the other day, when that damn "Superman-Santa versus the Hitler Twins" topic popped up, and someone posted a link to the "Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" Wikipedia, which further linked to and began talking about alternate DC universes.

And that got me thinking.

Do the DC movies and animated series (referred to collectively as the DC Animated Universe, as I understand) take place in yet another alternate universe? are they subject to the events of the Infinite Crises and/or the Crisis on Infinite Earths? I distinctly remember reading about some superhero straying into an alternate Gotham patrolled by Terry from Batman Beyond, so I suppose it's possible.

How about Marvel? I understand that Marvel makes extensive use of multiple universes (including the DC ones, which brings up startling questions about the aforementioned Crisises as they pertain to Infinity), do the movies take place in their own special one? Or even a group of universes?

When you consider it, what does that mean about the various movie incarnations these people have had? Is there a universe where Bruce Wayne was a slightly pudgy balding man who stood no taller than 5'9 and had an air of comedy about him? Did he suddenly morph one day into a much taller, more physically fit Bruce Wayne with a squarer jaw and lighter hair (who was also a total jerk to his employees), or was that Bruce Wayne in yet another Universe? And of course, let's not forget that this particular Bruce further morphed into an even taller, yet less physically fit Bruce with an even more rigid jaw structure, darker hair, and a "purposeful gayness" who also happened to exist in the same Universe as Superman.

Let's not discuss Superman.

Seriously, is this how it works? I know there's gotta be some Comic sages out there who can explain if this is the case. Ironically, I was wondering because I was writing some comic book material recently (nothing professional, just for fun stuff, some parody of pre-existing characters) and it occurred to me that these characters would be, at the very least, amused to encounter an alternate universe in which every few months or years they would inexplicably change appearance, and they would encounter their villains only at this time. Possibly this discovery would be aided by the characters actually going to see a movie based on their adventures.

-So, Comic Book Nerds of the Internet, I ask you... Where do Superhero movies take place?

bluish_wolf
2006-07-26, 09:52 AM
Since everyone knows that long-running comic book series are concerned with continuity above all things.

xyzchyx
2006-07-26, 11:43 AM
My answer?

Don't worry about it.

Just enjoy the story.

If you feel you need continuity to enjoy it, you're trying to see more to it than there actually is.

It's fiction for cryin' out loud... it doesn't HAVE to fit with other fiction, even if it was about the "same characters".

Nerd-o-rama
2006-07-26, 12:31 PM
I agree with the last two guys. However, I can definitely say with regards to animated TV shows that there is an official "DC Animated Universe" where the likes of Batman & Superman, Justice League (Unlimited) and Batman Beyond take place.

For movies, I just take them all independently, not worrying about how they fit into comic multiverses. As I understand it, that's the only way X-Men fans managed to stay sane while watching The Last Stand.

WampaX
2006-07-26, 12:50 PM
I agree with the last two guys. However, I can definitely say with regards to animated TV shows that there is an official "DC Animated Universe" where the likes of Batman & Superman, Justice League (Unlimited) and Batman Beyond take place. This is quite correct. Anything with Bruce Timm or Paul Dini's name on it is part of a connected continuity. (Still debate about where Teen Titans fits in, though)

For the most part, the movies and TV shows take place outside the official company continuity. There is a good chance that they exist in an alternate universe (or elseworld, in the case of DC).

They are very rarely connected to each other because of the production companies involved. DC has the best use of continuity since all are released under the WB logo. Marvel is all over the map with several companies owning the rights to different characters. Its going to be a nightmare if they ever release a "Team-Up" movie because they will be limited in their character selection until the rights revert back to Marvel.

TreesOfDeath
2006-07-26, 02:19 PM
Its best not to think about these things too much

Beleriphon
2006-07-26, 04:18 PM
I'm going to agree with everybody. The DCAU has its own shared continuity bewteen all of the Timm-Dini produced shows. Starting with Batman: The Animated Series and ending with Justice League Unlimited.

The movies are at least nominally related, Superman Returns mentions Gotham, and by mentioning Gotham it implies that Batman must exist. It may not be the Batman from Batman Begins, but Batman is out there somewhere.

Smallville is interesting since it looks like Oliver Queen (Green Arrow) (http://www.kryptonsite.com/smallvillespoilers.htm) will be making several appearance in Season 6. The Daily Planet has also had a few references to a bat creature stalking Gotham or artiles relating to Bruce Wayne (usually seen on the front page, and only very briefly).

Duncan_MacSmasher
2006-07-26, 04:26 PM
Since everyone knows that long-running comic book series are concerned with continuity above all things.

*Points out the two Crises that involve the word Infinite.* Yeah, they most certainly are.

Steward
2006-07-26, 05:51 PM
I just assume that all comic book stories take place in the Outer Darkness.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-07-27, 02:15 AM
I was going to say New York--I didn't realize it was a whole metaphysical discussion. I mean, you have to have tall buildings, otherwise Spiderman and Batman couldn't swing around. As I've said before, there were never any great redneck superheroes, because you can't really look heroic riding a Greyhound bus, or running through a cotton field....

KayJay
2006-07-27, 07:40 AM
Comic movies are generally outside of the existing "canon" universes, although they also tend to be in the same universe as any sequels and prequels that might exist. I wouldn't even say that any of the movies belong to the same universe as any other comic movie, although it rarely matters due to the fact that there haven't been many/any cross-over type movies.

Ing
2006-07-27, 01:10 PM
... well, there you have it.

Superhero movies take the pre-existing comic world and re-arrange it to make it more accessible to an uninitiated audience in the space of two hours. I never really thought about it at all until the other day, when that damn "Superman-Santa versus the Hitler Twins" topic popped up, and someone posted a link to the "Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" Wikipedia, which further linked to and began talking about alternate DC universes.

And that got me thinking.

Do the DC movies and animated series (referred to collectively as the DC Animated Universe, as I understand) take place in yet another alternate universe? are they subject to the events of the Infinite Crises and/or the Crisis on Infinite Earths? I distinctly remember reading about some superhero straying into an alternate Gotham patrolled by Terry from Batman Beyond, so I suppose it's possible.

How about Marvel? I understand that Marvel makes extensive use of multiple universes (including the DC ones, which brings up startling questions about the aforementioned Crisises as they pertain to Infinity), do the movies take place in their own special one? Or even a group of universes?

When you consider it, what does that mean about the various movie incarnations these people have had? Is there a universe where Bruce Wayne was a slightly pudgy balding man who stood no taller than 5'9 and had an air of comedy about him? Did he suddenly morph one day into a much taller, more physically fit Bruce Wayne with a squarer jaw and lighter hair (who was also a total jerk to his employees), or was that Bruce Wayne in yet another Universe? And of course, let's not forget that this particular Bruce further morphed into an even taller, yet less physically fit Bruce with an even more rigid jaw structure, darker hair, and a "purposeful gayness" who also happened to exist in the same Universe as Superman.

Let's not discuss Superman.

Seriously, is this how it works? I know there's gotta be some Comic sages out there who can explain if this is the case. Ironically, I was wondering because I was writing some comic book material recently (nothing professional, just for fun stuff, some parody of pre-existing characters) and it occurred to me that these characters would be, at the very least, amused to encounter an alternate universe in which every few months or years they would inexplicably change appearance, and they would encounter their villains only at this time. Possibly this discovery would be aided by the characters actually going to see a movie based on their adventures.

-So, Comic Book Nerds of the Internet, I ask you... Where do Superhero movies take place?

Southern New Jersey