PDA

View Full Version : Need a really powerful build

Murphy80
2010-05-20, 02:43 AM
I am good at Min-maxing, but not good at Splat book Uber optimization. I normally detest parties full of non-PHB races and/or templates, so I have never studied them (and the splat books they come from) and I don't have the inclination to do so.

Any Wotc ok;
Possible ok on 3rd party material;
32 point buy
2 flaws and 2 traits
Gestalt (1 side may be used for LA/racial levels)

I need an Uber optimized build; Blank slate on concept (anything short of Pun-pun). Show me what you got...

Edit: level 6 (or more if you need to/for the future)

Eldariel
2010-05-20, 02:45 AM
*sigh* What level?

Prodan
2010-05-20, 03:26 AM
Human Truenamer//Ninja

Feats: Great Fortitude, Lightening Reflexes, Iron Will, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack.

Flaws: Inattentive, Murkey Eyed

Greenish
2010-05-20, 03:35 AM
Truenamer//Ninja

Feats: Great Fortitude, Lightening Reflexes, Iron Will, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack.

Flaws: Inattentive, Murkey EyedWhat, no Toughness?

Prodan
2010-05-20, 03:38 AM
He said nothing on Pun Pun's level, alright?

Geez, some people...

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-20, 03:42 AM
I can think of several that would fit offhand..

The Commonoid build fits the bill, but I don't know if you want to bring that level of OP to the table. I mean, it'll be like turning on God Mode with the All Weapons code... iddqd idkfa kinda stuff...

Wings of Peace
2010-05-20, 03:45 AM
Wizard X/Ardent 1/Subverted Psion 1/Tainted Scholar 2/Wizard of High Sorcery (Black) 3 [Magic of Hunger]/

Get those bases covered and you're pretty much set for hardcore D&D.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-20, 03:59 AM
Melee? Ranged? Arcane magic? Divine magic? Weird variant system? There's way too many options with 'all books' for pretty much anything you want to do, at all levels of power.

Optimization isn't automatically cheese, it's like being the dude running the dials at a nuclear power plant. You control how much power you want, from 'none' all the way up to 'meltdown'.

(Yeah, I know nuclear power plants Do Not Work That Way. It's still a useful analogy for other people who don't know this.)

Escheton
2010-05-20, 04:27 AM
do you want max-min in there? Pure power? Versatility? Melee, ranged, arcane, divine, maneuvers, manifesting, control?

make a checklist, please.

wanna be a ninja?

2xMachina
2010-05-20, 04:28 AM
Who are you adventuring with? What is the campaign like?

Solo, and team play makes a difference. Campaign type also matters.

I kinda like Druid//Totemist. Share Soulmelds so your animal companion have tons of natural attacks. Also get natural attack buff.

A little cheese ruling (and I didn't get to build this, but thought about it).

Druid of Mielikki (Faerun Campaing setting). Metal armor = ok
Adamantine Warforged who wildshapes, and keep living construct/adamantine plate (RoE says yes)
Dragonborn it (Sage says you keep Living Construct and you can get Adamantine body and benefit from it). Take Senses

^ Bit hard to squeeze these, but nice if DM allows.

BEASTWARS! Animal robot transformers!

Living construct immunities. Focus on Wis/Con.
Get Fleshraker AC, wildshape to Fleshraker.

Bind Kruthic Claws. +1d4 acid per essentia per claw that hits.

Share soulmeld. Your fleshraker has Leaping Pounce, with 4 claw attacks which do 1d6+1d4 each. Also, bite/tail. Free Trip, and if pass, grappled, auto hit with all 8 claw attacks + rake (1d6+2) with a grapple check. (Girallon arms give bonus to grapple).

Lvl 9: Double chakra (totem) at lvl 9. Bind Girallon arms, get 4 more claw attacks. Animal Companion: 8 claw attacks.

Wildshape to large Bloodstriker dino at lvl 9. (Less attacks, but your AC is 27, touch 9). When attacked with a non-reach weapon, they take 1d8+6. If they hit, they take another 1d6. Also, acid breathe.
Bind Sphinx Claws to hands. You get pounce too.

Other souldmelds are nice too.

Feats: Adamantine Body, Multi-attack, Share Soulmeld, ?, Natural Spell
Try to get into Warshaper(on Totemist side) later to grow more natural attacks, +1 size to natural attacks you already have, fast healing, reach +5ft, change shape in wildshape without using wildshape uses.
You don't need armor. Built in. You don't need weapons. You grow them.
Rings/necklace: Wilding Clasp
Magic items: Soulmelds.
Stay in wildshape.
Need to boost Wis a bit, since it's a little low (16 start)

Planar Shepperd on Druid later.

Maybe you can get Tomb-tainted soul to heal from negative energy.

stenver
2010-05-20, 04:28 AM
Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 10/Druid 5///Whatever else

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-20, 04:37 AM
Warblade//Factotum, Warblade is in Tome of Battle and Factotum is in Dungeonscape. Be sure you spend at least three feats on Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606). Simple yet powerful.

Goliath LA +1/ Wolf Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) 2/ Fighter 2/ War Hulk 10/ Fighter 5// Warblade 1/ Fighter 2/ Warblade 17, with the Dungeoncrasher ACF from Dungeonscape, Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ), the Lion spiritual totem ACF from Complete Champion, and the Zhentarim Soldier (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) substitution levels. Get Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) and Knockback (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Knockback) starting out and focus on Iron Heart and Stone Dragon maneuvers. "Powerful Build" taken literally.

Mystic Ranger (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) (page 91) 5 (or 6)/ Enlightened Spirit 10/ Mystic Ranger 5 (or 4)// Warlock 20, and be sure to get Sword of the Arcane Order (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sword_of_the_Arcane_Order) to cast Wizard spells with your Ranger spell slots, and pick up Flyby Attack from the back of the Monster Manual at level 9. Enlightened Spirit's abilities are all expressed as added bonuses so it will all stack when taken along side of your Warlock class progression. It makes a spectacular ranged attacker and very well rounded all-day character, since Warlock abilities are usable at will.

Coy
2010-05-20, 05:55 AM
Gestalt isn't exactly something that you need for meltdown power levels. After all, once you have the necessary combo's on a standard character of that kind of power, like a shadowcraft mage with Miracle added to evocation list, where do you go from there?

Gestalt is there to give the obvious base stat (attack, HD and save) bonuses, otherwise, and then secondly to try and get the class features that would be fun to use.

I guess the only really power from that second point is obvious synergies, like the noted Factotum/Warblade, or a Rogue/Warlock.

To cut to the chase, just take a single class and optimize that, worry about the second class later.

Or take wizard/cleric/druid.

Tyrandar
2010-05-20, 06:01 AM
Take the Powerful Build feat. Done.

Murphy80
2010-05-20, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the replies (at least the serious ones - you know who I mean). How about if we specify warlock as 1 side of the Gestalt, any suggestions for this.

Doc Roc
2010-05-20, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the replies (at least the serious ones - you know who I mean). How about if we specify warlock as 1 side of the Gestalt, any suggestions for this.

You want my honest opinion, or my helpful one?

Honest:
Don't use warlock if you can help it.

Helpful:
On the facing side to warlock, my inclination would be to go swiftblade gish, and then into hellfire and focus on the eldritch glaive blade shape. On the warlock side, push towards hellfire, and then into legacy champion. Despite the fairly wide-ranging use of splats, this will still not be overwhelmingly powerful, but it will be extremely fun to play.

Unrelated note: I would say that there are 11 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, those who don't, and...
Those who tell this freaking joke anyway despite not grokking that binary is just a way of counting.

2xMachina
2010-05-20, 03:27 PM
Warlock//Rogue sneak?

Darkness + Blend into Shadows + At home in the Dark (or something like that, that lets you see in magical darkness).

Sneak attack galore!

Doc Roc
2010-05-20, 03:29 PM
I would recommend blindfold of true darkness or a similar item. For itemization help, you might consider either Bunko's or Koury's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149464).

My "Perfected (http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AYdLcxsM7Nx0ZGc2NzhibjNfNTNocnFrYjlmcQ&hl=en)" swiftblade gishes.

Yorrin
2010-05-20, 03:37 PM
Warlock, eh?

Caster:
Necropolitan Sorcerer 4/Shadowcraft Mage 5/Tainted Scholar 1/Incantatrix 10

Non-Caster:
Paladin of Slaughter 2/Barbarian 1/Cancer Mage 1/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/Blackguard 2/Hulking Hurler 3/Warblade 5

Takes advantage of a high Charisma- the first one mixing metamagic abuse with the sickness that is tainted scholar. The second allowing you to have great saves (cha*2) and infinite strength thanks to cancer mage, with the simple joys of a dungeoncrasher for when you don't have planets to hurl at foes.

NeoVid
2010-05-20, 03:46 PM
It's gestalt, so combine Factotum/any Int based full caster. Unless you're purposely bad at spell selection and use of class abilities, you're game-shatteringly powerful.

aivanther
2010-05-20, 04:07 PM
Binder//Warlock/Helfire Warlock?

Amphetryon
2010-05-20, 04:34 PM
Warlock 5/Sentinel of Bharrai 10/Cyran Avenger 5. Cavalry of Dire Bears FTW. :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2010-05-20, 09:31 PM
You could use Flee the Scene to Shadow Pounce with Eldritch Glaive.

Thurbane
2010-05-20, 09:34 PM
For a relatively straight forward, powerful gestalt build, why not just go Factotum//Wizard? Few could argue with the power and versatility of such a build.

dougch
2010-05-20, 10:04 PM
Optimization isn't automatically cheese, it's like being the dude running the dials at a nuclear power plant. You control how much power you want, from 'none' all the way up to 'meltdown'.

yep i am quoting the bejusuzs outta that

gdiddy
2010-05-20, 10:25 PM
Warlock5/Binder1/UrPriest2/Eldritch Disciple 9/Hellfire Warlock 3//Psychic Rogue 19/Psychic Warrior 1

You have some synergy. You only need Charisma, Wisdom, Intelligence.

Str 8 Dex 8 Con 10 Int 16 Wis 16 Cha 16

The important part is that you cast 9th level cleric spells, have the equivalent of 17 levels of Warlock, are a 20th Level Manifester, have 7d6 sneak attack, take no Constitution damage from using Hellfire Eldritch Blast.

As far as race, I'd go with Lesser Aasimar.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-20, 11:34 PM

Mystic Ranger (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) (page 91) 5 (or 6)/ Enlightened Spirit 10/ Mystic Ranger 5 (or 4)// Warlock 20, and be sure to get Sword of the Arcane Order (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sword_of_the_Arcane_Order) to cast Wizard spells with your Ranger spell slots, and pick up Flyby Attack from the back of the Monster Manual at level 9. Enlightened Spirit's abilities are all expressed as added bonuses so it will all stack when taken along side of your Warlock class progression. It makes a spectacular ranged attacker and very well rounded all-day character, since Warlock abilities are usable at will.
You must have missed it.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-21, 12:19 AM
Warlock 8 /// Rogue 1 / Psychic Rogue 1 / Ninja 1 / Sneak Attack Fighter 1 / Spellthief 1 / Assassin 1 / Swordsage 2 (get Assassin's Stance)

Take Craven, also.

Now, you have, by level 8:

4d6 eldritch blast + 7d6 Sneak attack +1d6 Sudden Strike + 8

Average damage per shot: 50.

From there, combo with Whisper gnome, Darkness invocation, Blend into Shadows, and At home in the dark, and you're pretty solid.

Critical
2010-05-21, 12:22 AM
Warlock//Rogue/Telflammar Shadowlord/Swordsage/Jade Phoenix Mage?

Escheton
2010-05-21, 12:27 AM
warblade wizard Jade phoenix mage//cleric warlock eldritch disciple

if you are allowed 2 prestigeclasses. otherwise just go straight warlock for the incantations and for blasting things outta maneuverrange

needs a feat to get devoted maneuvers and stances with warblade recovery, but worth it.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-21, 12:40 AM
Warlock 20//wizard 5/any full-casting PrC 15.

Ignore your warlock side and kill things as a wizard. You win.

Pluto
2010-05-21, 12:54 AM
Dio's dead. ****. This is what happens when the school cuts newspaper subscriptions for the summer.

On an unrelated note:
Whisper Gnome Druid//Focused Illusionist/Shadowcrafter/Shadowcraft Mage
Throw Rainbow Patterns.
Ride a Tiger.
Toss some Shadow Prismatic Rays around.

*sigh*

Escheton
2010-05-21, 01:03 AM
Dio's dead. ****. This is what happens when the school cuts newspaper subscriptions for the summer.

On an unrelated note:
Whisper Gnome Druid//Focused Illusionist/Shadowcrafter/Shadowcraft Mage
Throw Rainbow Patterns.
Ride a Tiger.
Toss some Shadow Prismatic Rays around.

*sigh*

who's dio? your class pet gerbal?

Pluto
2010-05-21, 01:16 AM
who's dio? your class pet gerbal?
I get all my news from Thurbane's sig.

Optimystik
2010-05-21, 01:32 AM
Ignore your warlock side and kill things as a wizard.

Psst. Crafting. :smallwink:

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-21, 01:36 AM
Psst. Crafting. :smallwink:D'oh. Spider-Pig, Spider-Pig. Does whatever a spider-pig does.

Escheton
2010-05-21, 02:17 AM

rip the voice of non-true norwegian-metal

Thurbane
2010-05-21, 02:47 AM
Yeah, it's sad news. He was just about my favorite ever vocalist. :smallfrown:

Jeff240sx
2010-05-21, 09:14 AM
Warlock 2 / Bloodline (1) / Warlock 2 / Sorcerer 1 / Ur-Priest 10 / Hellfire Warlock 3 / Sorcerer at 20.
//
Sorcerer 4 / Bloodline (2) / Swiftblade 5 / Bloodline (3) / Swiftblade 5 / Sorcerer 4

Later Sorcerer can be any full-casting PrC (and should be, really).

At 20, you'd be at +15BAB. Timestop with casted Haste. 50% melee/spell miss. 4 Attacks, Pretty much first initiative.
2d6 Eldritch Blast, 2d6 Mortalbane Feat, 2d6 Warlock Item. 6d6 Hellfire, and 6d6 Bloodlines Hellfire.

18d6 per Eldritch Blast, shaped with Eldritch Glaive gives you 4 attacks at 18d6 each, melee touch. That's 63 average damage per strike.
There are #/day +1d6 to EB items. If you can get a Practiced Spellcaster changed to Invoker - and really, why not? Divine and Psionic have the exact same feat - you bump up to 20d6 for 70avg.

And Immediate action Hellfire Shield when hit.

To back up the pretty consistent 280 damage per round, you've got 9th level Divine Spells and 8th level Sorcerer spells.

It would be much, much more insane if you don't follow the Gestalt rules barring Theurge and dual-progression classes. I've ignored the "1 PrC at a time" rule because I do in my games.
If you are bound to 1 PrC at a time, you should grab a different build because you lose about 4d6 EB damage, the Steal SLA ability, and are knocked down to 5th level Divine casting. Making a dual 9s build much more powerful.

9 divine (CL 30 - Practiced Spellcaster) / 8 sorcerer (CL23 - Practiced Spellcaster) Hellfire Glaivelock with Swiftblade would be tasty though.

You could lose 4d6 EB and some Bloodlines to get 9th level Sorcerer casting - up to you.

Murphy80
2010-05-21, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the help, I got what I needed.

Jeff240sx
2010-05-21, 03:50 PM
What are you going with?