PDA

View Full Version : Thought you knew everything about Wolverine?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-14, 08:20 PM
X-Men:The Last Standing Ovation Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYpyLzORfP0)

Oh... my... http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/twitch.gif

InaVegt
2006-07-14, 08:24 PM
So funny

Weiser_Cain
2006-07-14, 09:07 PM
He's an actor?

TinSoldier
2006-07-14, 10:16 PM
It was alright. The composition seemed kind of random. It would have been funnier if they had tightened it up a bit.

RecklessFable
2006-07-14, 11:45 PM
Peter Allen rocks.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-16, 09:32 PM
It was alright. The composition seemed kind of random. It would have been funnier if they had tightened it up a bit.
*shrugs*

Still cracked me up.

Bookman
2006-07-16, 09:36 PM
AHAHAHAHA! That's AWESOME! I laughed.........alot

ElfLad
2006-07-16, 09:46 PM
His movements are... inexplicably erratic.

Korith
2006-07-16, 10:18 PM
[X-men 3 spoiler]No wonder Phoenix tried to disintegrate him...[/X-men 3 spoiler]

jk

KayJay
2006-07-17, 05:03 AM
Talking about Wolverine, I recently read one of the latest Wolverine comics... So stupid it was unbelievable. wolverine was literally burned to just his BONES, and somehow he managed to regenerate his entire body and all of his organs in a very quick "off the scenes" time. Next thing you know, he will be able to survive deatomisation by regenerating his entire being out of nothing :o

Skyserpent
2006-07-17, 06:12 AM
eh, I think once he regenerated from a single drop of blood... though that was just something I heard on the forums somewhere. Might have been a joke... might not...

KayJay
2006-07-17, 09:48 AM
If that's not a joke, it's so stupid that it should be ignored and disregarded when determining what is and isn't canon.

Zeful
2006-07-17, 01:33 PM
eh, I think once he regenerated from a single drop of blood... though that was just something I heard on the forums somewhere. Might have been a joke... might not...
If he could regenerate from a single drop of blood you could draw blood and spray it all over the place then wait and you have a near instant wolverine army, though they won't have any fun claws and indistructable bones, but the more you kill him the more there are.

AmoDman
2006-07-17, 02:10 PM
My God...what have we done? Could have been better, though. Started getting a little overly cheesy halfway through...and might've used some Kate & Leopold scenes as well ;).

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-17, 03:15 PM
Erm. OoooooKay ???

Beleriphon
2006-07-17, 05:08 PM
If he could regenerate from a single drop of blood you could draw blood and spray it all over the place then wait and you have a near instant wolverine army, though they won't have any fun claws and indistructable bones, but the more you kill him the more there are.

That's actually Lobo, and it did happen. But it had been established previously that he could regenerate from a single drop of blood.

KayJay
2006-07-18, 04:22 AM
According to wikipedia Vril Dox removed this ability. And he DID make an army of lobos with this ability, stupid as it was :)

Skyserpent
2006-07-18, 04:41 AM
Oh right... I actually HAVE that issue of Young Justice...

Nekkira
2006-07-18, 08:48 AM
;D funny!

Maxis_IronForge
2006-07-18, 10:08 AM
I lost 3 minutes and 8 seconds of my life watching tis tripe and I want it back.

Ahh... I'll only waste them anyway.

chibibar
2006-07-18, 10:26 AM
I know the cartoon saying something that the bone is Wolverine base... and he can regenerate as long his main skeletal structure is intack......

consider it is laced with Adamentium.... he should be fine :)

TheOtherStephan
2006-07-18, 10:36 AM
So Wolverine kind of keeps his memories stored inside his bones or what? Sure, why not... It's not like it makes any less sense because of that one thing (ever asked how he can bend his wrists with those yard-long blades of his stored inside them?)

evileeyore
2006-07-18, 11:01 AM

It was Amaxing X-Men Annual #2 or #6, I can't remember which one.

He returned from a single drop of blood after being atomized (the entire X-Men had been killed as well). however... the blood had landed on a gem that made whomever touched it first a God.

So he basically deus ex-ed everything back tot he way it was supposed to be... we presume that included his metal skeleton and his screwy past...

Frankly Marvel is almost as bad about canon and backstory as DC is.

chibibar
2006-07-18, 12:15 PM
So Wolverine kind of keeps his memories stored inside his bones or what? Sure, why not... It's not like it makes any less sense because of that one thing (ever asked how he can bend his wrists with those yard-long blades of his stored inside them?)

well...... that all depends on what you believe :) do you believe that memory are stored via chemicals or the soul? do you believe in past life? if you do, then it is possible some fragment of memories are stored in his soul instead of his brain

NinjaFish
2006-07-18, 03:50 PM
Talking about Wolverine, I recently read one of the latest Wolverine comics... So stupid it was unbelievable. wolverine was literally burned to just his BONES, and somehow he managed to regenerate his entire body and all of his organs in a very quick "off the scenes" time. Next thing you know, he will be able to survive deatomisation by regenerating his entire being out of nothing :o

Yeah, I saw that and was confused too...If we're talking about the same issue (43 i think?), I'm hoping that they pull some kind of convoluted plot device thingy ("Oh, it wasn't his skeleton!") or something!

Heck, even cheese like that is better than a gaping plothole...

Wolverine is just one of those characters that everyone has alot of wiggle room..but he's still my favorite canucklehead!

KayJay
2006-07-19, 04:21 AM
You can't really mistake Wolverine's bones from someone else's for the obvious reason that his bones look metal and have claws sticking out of the arms :) Plus if I recall correctly, there was a running commentary about how his organs were melting or something.
I still think this is retarded beyond belief, as this makes him effectively immortal.

CelestialStick
2006-07-19, 05:06 AM
Yeah, there ought to be some sort of believable limit on the regeneration abilities of both Wolverine and Lobo.

As for the video, it contained a funny concept but took entirely too long to download for my old-fashioned dial-up modem. :(

Closet_Skeleton
2006-07-19, 06:43 AM
Seeing as Wolverine has an indestructable skull, then maybe his brain is pretty much un-touchable. That could mean that when it looks like it's just his skeleton he still has his brain in his skull.

Wolverine's ligaments aren't Adamantium (or he wouldn't be able to move) so he can still have bits of him torn off.

Yuki Akuma
2006-07-19, 08:38 AM
I think Wolverine could be killed by cutting his head off... if you can somehow get in between his bones to do it.

Yeah... that's right. He's an Immortal. Oh boy...

Soon he's gonna start speaking with a faux-Scottish accent about how there can only be one.

CelestialStick
2006-07-19, 08:51 AM
Seeing as Wolverine has an indestructable skull, then maybe his brain is pretty much un-touchable. That could mean that when it looks like it's just his skeleton he still has his brain in his skull.

Wolverine's ligaments aren't Adamantium (or he wouldn't be able to move) so he can still have bits of him torn off.

I suppose it's possible that in the comics his skull is invulnerable, but in one of the movies some government agents shot him right through the skull. I don't see any reason why his skull would be invulnerable anyway. Regeneration is completely different from invulnerability.

I think Wolverine could be killed by cutting his head off... if you can somehow get in between his bones to do it.

Yeah... that's right. He's an Immortal. Oh boy...

Soon he's gonna start speaking with a faux-Scottish accent about how there can only be one.
LOL. Well at least this way we will get some cool music by Queen!

Here we are, Born to be kings,
We're the princes of the universe,
Here we belong, Fighting to survive,
In a world with the darkest powers,
And here we are, We're the princes of the universe,
Here we belong, Fighting for survival,
We've come to be the rulers of your world,
I am immortal, I have inside me blood of kings,
I have no rival, No man can be my equal,
Take me to the future of your world,

Smashymcsmash
2006-07-19, 11:06 AM
The thing is that in multiple stirylines Wolive has been killed by exactly what seemed to happen to him in that issue. Days of Future Past anyone?

CS I believe I know the scene you are talking about and the bullets never penetrated his skull. They popped back out the way they went in flattened out, presumably from the impact with his big shiny metal skull.

KayJay
2006-07-19, 11:11 AM

His brain can't be untouchable, as you can reach it through the eyes quite easily, and the ears. Google a picture of a skull, and you can see where the gaps are that allow you access to the brain, if there is no more flesh and muscle over it. It's not completely closed off so it's protected.

evileeyore
2006-07-19, 12:01 PM
His brain can't be untouchable, as you can reach it through the eyes quite easily, and the ears. Google a picture of a skull, and you can see where the gaps are that allow you access to the brain, if there is no more flesh and muscle over it. It's not completely closed off so it's protected.

As well during the Stryfe conflict a gun toting super that was slightly faster than Wolverine placed a large caliber pistol to Wolvie's eye and convinced Wolverine that though it wouldn't kill him, it would take him out long enough for the super to kill the not-so-immortal person Wolverine was protecting.

Wolverine has had multiple brain injuries over the years... and he always recovers just as crazy as he was before.

AmoDman
2006-07-19, 05:16 PM
I suppose it's possible that in the comics his skull is invulnerable, but in one of the movies some government agents shot him right through the skull. I don't see any reason why his skull would be invulnerable anyway. Regeneration is completely different from invulnerability.

You misunderstood. He was talking about his skull being coated in adamantium and, thus, being indestructible.

CelestialStick
2006-07-20, 05:03 AM
The thing is that in multiple stirylines Wolive has been killed by exactly what seemed to happen to him in that issue. Days of Future Past anyone?

CS I believe I know the scene you are talking about and the bullets never penetrated his skull. They popped back out the way they went in flattened out, presumably from the impact with his big shiny metal skull.
A lead slug that hits your soft tissues at about 1000 fps will flatten too, to say nothing of hitting a normal skull. In any case there's not much root between the surface of your skin and you skull at the point where he got hit and since he fell over sideways it appeared that the slug did penetrate his skull and briefly killed him, only to be pushed back out of his brain by the regeneration process. That might not follow the comics, but that's what appeared to happen in the movie.

Beleriphon
2006-07-20, 05:58 AM
A lead slug that hits your soft tissues at about 1000 fps will flatten too, to say nothing of hitting a normal skull. In any case there's not much root between the surface of your skin and you skull at the point where he got hit and since he fell over sideways it appeared that the slug did penetrate his skull and briefly killed him, only to be pushed back out of his brain by the regeneration process. That might not follow the comics, but that's what appeared to happen in the movie.

CS is very much correct. The slug did penetrate Logan's skull. However for the movie I attribute this to the fact that his skull is seen to be stripped with adamantium rather then having the stuff fully bonded to every cell. Thus there are gaps with the admanatium lacing. At a functional level this makes sense, since if you completely encase bone in some substance that is nonpermeable it bone marrow can't have red blood cells to be produced and transferred to the blood stream.

Yeah, there ought to be some sort of believable limit on the regeneration abilities of both Wolverine and Lobo.

Lobo is fun, and the army of clones started to kill each other to make sure there would only ever be one baddest bastich in the universe. Can't go wrong with the main man.

KayJay
2006-07-20, 06:02 AM
As well during the Stryfe conflict a gun toting super that was slightly faster than Wolverine placed a large caliber pistol to Wolvie's eye and convinced Wolverine that though it wouldn't kill him, it would take him out long enough for the super to kill the not-so-immortal person Wolverine was protecting.

Wolverine has had multiple brain injuries over the years... and he always recovers just as crazy as he was before.

I might agree you can heal from a brain INJURY, but I wouldn't say you'd be able to cope with a complete loss of brain by it melting. I'm slightly dubious that he could heal injury to certain parts of the brain, such as the part that coordinates how his healing factor itself works.

RemoJr
2006-07-21, 02:56 AM
I don't think wolverine's regeneration can bring him back from a drop of blood. He's not all powerful. I have a what-if comic where basically the hulk get's so mad that he snaps his neck, and instently dies.

And the bone thing doesn't work either. A while ago magneto riped his bones from his body. His regeneration grew back his bones, thus creat boneclaw. For a while he went through the comics with breakable bones and snapable claws. Time to time hs claws would break and grow back in a few seconds.

CelestialStick
2006-07-21, 03:18 AM
You misunderstood. He was talking about his skull being coated in adamantium and, thus, being indestructible.

You're right again, Amodman. I'd forgotten about the adamantium around the skull, or maybe more accurately, hadn't really realized that it extended all the way around his skull too. I'd rather thought it had just been bonded to the main bones in his arms and legs or something. I mean really I hadn't investigated the subject thoroughly, so I just had a vague impression of where he had the admantium bonded. The skull had never occured to me.

CS is very much correct. The slug did penetrate Logan's skull. However for the movie I attribute this to the fact that his skull is seen to be stripped with adamantium rather then having the stuff fully bonded to every cell. Thus there are gaps with the admanatium lacing. At a functional level this makes sense, since if you completely encase bone in some substance that is nonpermeable it bone marrow can't have red blood cells to be produced and transferred to the blood stream.

Woot! Someone actually thinks I'm correct, and it's even Beleriphon! :D Having the bullet pierce his skull and then get pushed back out by the regeneration worked very effectively in the movie, moreso I think than if the bullet had just bounced off his skull. We expect bullets to bounce off of Superman, but I think for iconic Wolverine they should "kill" him, only to have him regenerate anyway. It's much cooler that way. :)

Lobo is fun, and the army of clones started to kill each other to make sure there would only ever be one baddest bastich in the universe. Can't go wrong with the main man.

Ha ha! That's great! A clone army of Lobos and the first thing they do is start killing each other off to show who's the real Main Man! That might be worthwhile even for having to sit through pages of Lobo obnoxiousness!

There was an episode of Superman: The Animated Series, in which Lobo captures Superman for The Preserver, only to be captured himself by The Preserver. The plot is handled pretty deftly so that Lobo can't escape on his own but he managed to arrange to break out Superman so that Superman can get out of his red sunlight cage and recharge in a yellow sunlight and then break the two of them out entirely.

In Justice League they bring back Lobo in the Death of Superman espisode. Lobo shows up to take Superman's place in what's got to be one of the most obnoxious and twisted notions of duty in the DC universe. Anyway he's all busy bragging and so forth and then Wonder Woman cleans his clock. Then he says something goofy like, "ok, you can join me, but I'm giving the orders." It's all pretty funny, but the best part is when Wonder Woman just smashes him into a wall and he gives up fighting in favor of making goofy comments. :D

Getting back to Wolverine, how many of you saw the Kids WB version of X-Men, which I call X-Teens? What do you think of their version of Wolverine?

There was one episode I vaguely recall in which some guys showed up from a governemnt agency for which Wolverine used to work. It turns out that Captain America was dying and that he was an old friend of Logan's from Logan's days with the agency, and that sucks Logan back in to do one last mission for them. Does anyone remember that? I don't know if it followed the Marvel canon, but I found it a rather enjoyable episode, perhaps the best of the whole series.

KayJay
2006-07-21, 04:13 AM
I don't think wolverine's regeneration can bring him back from a drop of blood. He's not all powerful. I have a what-if comic where basically the hulk get's so mad that he snaps his neck, and instently dies.

And the bone thing doesn't work either. A while ago magneto riped his bones from his body. His regeneration grew back his bones, thus creat boneclaw. For a while he went through the comics with breakable bones and snapable claws. Time to time hs claws would break and grow back in a few seconds.

Are you talking about when Magneto ripped the ADAMANTIUM from his body? This didn't touch his bones, as Wolverine's bones are just laced with adamantium, they aren't pure adamantium. his healing factor went into overdrive when this occured, partially due to the stress of the adamantium ripping, partially because of the fact that the adamantium was slowing down his healing fact, as I recall.

Beleriphon
2006-07-21, 04:21 AM
Are you talking about when Magneto ripped the ADAMANTIUM from his body? This didn't touch his bones, as Wolverine's bones are just laced with adamantium, they aren't pure adamantium. his healing factor went into overdrive when this occured, partially due to the stress of the adamantium ripping, partially because of the fact that the adamantium was slowing down his healing fact, as I recall.

Yep, that about covers it. Admantium itself is appearently poisonous, so Wolverine's healing factor was working overtime just to keep him alive and purge the poisons. Once it was removed it just went nuts and he basically reverted to a feral, barely human monster. That is he did so psychologically, he didn't actually Hulk out or anything.

Woot! Someone actually thinks I'm correct, and it's even Beleriphon! :D Having the bullet pierce his skull and then get pushed back out by the regeneration worked very effectively in the movie, moreso I think than if the bullet had just bounced off his skull. We expect bullets to bounce off of Superman, but I think for iconic Wolverine they should "kill" him, only to have him regenerate anyway. It's much cooler that way. :)

I'm not sure if you mean that I appearently know more about comics and we happen to agree, or that we generally don't so its ironic that we do. Either way, huzzah!

CelestialStick
2006-07-21, 12:05 PM
Yep, that about covers it. Admantium itself is appearently poisonous, so Wolverine's healing factor was working overtime just to keep him alive and purge the poisons. Once it was removed it just went nuts and he basically reverted to a feral, barely human monster. That is he did so psychologically, he didn't actually Hulk out or anything.

Hmm. I mean I'd heard that the adamantium used up some of his regenerative abilities, but not that when Magneto removed it that he turned feral. Does that mean he was feral before the adamantium? How long is he supposed to have had it anyway?

I'm not sure if you mean that I appearently know more about comics and we happen to agree, or that we generally don't so its ironic that we do. Either way, huzzah!
While you do generally know more than I do about comics I just meant that we don't agree that often. :D

Beleriphon
2006-07-22, 12:01 PM
Hmm. I mean I'd heard that the adamantium used up some of his regenerative abilities, but not that when Magneto removed it that he turned feral. Does that mean he was feral before the adamantium? How long is he supposed to have had it anyway?

Its not entirely clear, although by the time Magneto ripped it out were talking close to 40 years. Given that Wolverine is Marvel's oldest character other than Apocalypse or Mr Sinister.

The basic idea is that when the adamantium was removed Wolverine went feral because he willed himself to heal faster, but it basically shut down his brain except for instinctual responses. He later had the stuff reinstalled after becoming Apocalypse's Horseman of Death.

Ing
2006-07-22, 01:10 PM
God marvel has such stupid ideas for their favorite character.

Wolverine oldest?

what about the Black Queen...
or the immortal Rock guy Apocypse used to keep around?

Beleriphon
2006-07-22, 02:46 PM
God marvel has such stupid ideas for their favorite character.

Wolverine oldest?

what about the Black Queen...
or the immortal Rock guy Apocypse used to keep around?

Thats as far as I know, Logan is about 120 years old being born sometime in the 1880s. Apocalypse is by far Marvel's oldest mutant, and Mr Sinister is pushing 200 at this point. Anybody else I can't comment on though, not being as familiar as I would like to be.

Ing
2006-07-22, 07:18 PM
120 is kinda young for some mutants.

also the clip...meh, not as good as the shining or 10 things i hate about commandments

Electric_Bard
2006-07-22, 11:40 PM
Yeah... that clip was odd. (UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!)

CelestialStick
2006-07-23, 12:36 AM
Thats as far as I know, Logan is about 120 years old being born sometime in the 1880s. Apocalypse is by far Marvel's oldest mutant, and Mr Sinister is pushing 200 at this point. Anybody else I can't comment on though, not being as familiar as I would like to be.
Oh man! You mean you have a life beyond comic books?! You really need to work on that. ;)

Beleriphon
2006-07-23, 01:21 AM
Oh man! You mean you have a life beyond comic books?! You really need to work on that. ;)

I do thank you very much. Of course the damned shift that I work right now basically precludes me from doing anything fun. Stupid 4:30 pm to 1:30 am shifts.

At any rate I know far too much about certain things. Plus I've been told that I have an eidetic memory, so I remember all kinds of stuff. Most of it completely useless, but you get the idea.

Old_el_Paso
2006-07-24, 03:09 PM
(ever asked how he can bend his wrists with those yard-long blades of his stored inside them?)They go all the way back into his fore arms. (sp?)

timbucktoo
2006-07-27, 04:05 PM

as long as there is a single cell left of him he can regenerate.