PDA

View Full Version : Poison

stenver
2010-05-20, 05:46 AM
The rules about poisoning dont really explain it well.

Can i poison 1 person multiple times?

Fleshraker druid, attacks with 2 claws each round. So does he give 2 doses of poison to his opponent each round? It makes sense in real world, but alas. D&D is not real world, so i need confirmation.

Also.
The damage the character takes immediately upon failing his saving throw against this poison. Ability damage is temporary unless marked with an asterisk (*), in which case the loss is a permanent drain. Paralysis lasts for 2d6 minutes.

What does that mean, there werent any paralysis poisons on the list.. so. Poison always causes paralysis?

Heliomance
2010-05-20, 05:48 AM
Yes, I believe you can poison multiple times in a round. The opponent would ned to make one save per poisoning. And no, not all poisons cause paralysis. Ye gods that would be horrible! There are probably some monster poisons and/or ones in splat that do. That or it's just an example of horrible book design.

Nihb
2010-05-20, 05:58 AM
Each time a creature is struck by a poisoned attack, it must roll its Fortitude or suffer the primary damages or effects. Meaning that if you have 2 poisoned claws to attack with in your full-action, if you hit, it's 2 chances of poisoning it.

This works with natural weapons, as they are always considered poisoned. With manifectured weapons, it's a tad different. You have to smear the poison on it. Unless you have the proper ability, this is a standard action and you have 5% chances to get poisoned yourself while applying it to your weapon. Once the weapon hits, its use is gone.

stenver
2010-05-20, 06:12 AM
Thats great. And very strong. It means that after 1-2 round, the enemy is probably so weakened by poison that it is.. useless.

Heliomance
2010-05-20, 06:13 AM
Not really, except at very low levels. Most save DCs on poisons are a joke.

Farlion
2010-05-20, 06:28 AM
Not really, except at very low levels. Most save DCs on poisons are a joke.

They might be, and poison itself is not that strong either, but in this case, having multiple poisoned attacks per round will eventually lead to a low rolled Fort-save.

Now, an other thing: do two applications of the same poison stack in case of ability damage?

Cheers,
Farlion

stenver
2010-05-20, 06:50 AM
I just read through a poison handbook and yes, they seem to stack.
There was example of duskblade giving 10 doses of poison to single opponent in a round.

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-20, 06:57 AM
They might be, and poison itself is not that strong either, but in this case, having multiple poisoned attacks per round will eventually lead to a low rolled Fort-save.

Now, an other thing: do two applications of the same poison stack in case of ability damage?

Edit: Deleted previous posts. This was clarified in the Rules Compendium:

Each instance of poisoning damages a poisoned creature separately. In the case of poisons that have nondamaging effects, those effects don’t stack, but each one runs for its full duration.
As long as the poison's effect is damage (ability damage or otherwise), it stacks.

obnoxious
sig