PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Material spell components

GlowingFauxPas
2010-05-20, 06:42 AM
I can't find anywhere in the PH what a caster has to do with the material components in order to use them. Does he just have to have them with him? It seems to be more than that, since preparing them is a free action and is a full round action when he is grappled. What does preparing it entail?

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-20, 06:52 AM
It's usually mentioned in the specific spell description or in the description of the material component (such as spider climb, which requires the recipient to eat a spider). By RAW, though, even if it has a material component, a spellcaster only needs a free hand to cast a spell if it has a somatic component. Any material components just need to be carried and at the ready.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm

obnoxious
sig

GlowingFauxPas
2010-05-20, 07:11 AM
Any material components just need to be carried and at the ready.

obnoxious
sig

What does at the ready mean? Can it be in your backpack?

Curmudgeon
2010-05-20, 07:51 AM
As Irreverent Fool pointed out, check each spell description. However, IF got the rest of this wrong.
You must have at least one hand free to provide a somatic component. There's no guarantee that one free hand is enough for the spell; merely that the somatic component alone can be satisfied with a single hand.
To cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate the material components or focus (if any). So you can't cast a spell without getting your hand(s) on any required material components and/or focus; it's not adequate just to have them nearby.

Generally you're OK with one hand, but I see no reasonable way to bind a thong around someone's arm (to cast Freedom of Movement on them) with only one hand.

Prodan
2010-05-20, 08:00 AM
Generally you're OK with one hand, but I see no reasonable way to bind a thong around someone's arm (to cast Freedom of Movement on them) with only one hand.

In that case, the solution is pretty simple: Do it ahead of time.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-20, 08:44 AM
In that case, the solution is pretty simple: Do it ahead of time.
That probably doesn't work, because manipulating the material component is a required part of the spellcasting, not something that can be done separately.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-20, 08:48 AM
The material component is "A leather thong, bound around the arm or a similar appendage." It doesn't say you need to bind it as part of the casting; nor does it say you need to craft the leather into a thong as part of the casting. Bind it beforehand and manipulate it one-handed during the spellcasting.

Prodan
2010-05-20, 08:49 AM
That probably doesn't work, because manipulating the material component is a required part of the spellcasting, not something that can be done separately.

Material Component: A leather thong, bound around the arm or a similar appendage.
Doesn't say you have to manipulate it. Only that you have to have it there and, obviously, be touching it at the time of casting.

JeenLeen
2010-05-20, 09:05 AM
As the material component is worded, I don't see any problem binding it ahead of time. The component is a leather thong bound; it does not state "which the caster binds...", unlike Spider Climb's "A drop of bitumen and a live spider, both of which must be eaten by the subject." You need a thong that is bound; it is not necessarily (although I admit it could be) the case that the somatic components include binding it to an appendage.

It also does not state if you bind it to yourself or the target, but either way I can still see that needing more than one free hand.

Usually it is assumed that, unless the component is something incredibly bulky (and sometimes even then), that the caster can get it out of their component pouch and use it as needed as a free action along with the casting of the spell, using the same hand that is doing the somatic components. Casters usually have a pouch (or pouches) on their belts, which takes no magic item slot and thus nor risk besides the weight and the risk of sundering (hence why many are often worn).
I am not saying that this is RAW or logical, but it is how I've heard most games are played.

dextercorvia
2010-05-20, 10:02 AM
You guys can't tie a string around your arm one handed? Keep in mind that manipulating components is an abstraction anyway. There is no way a Wizard of high enough level to cast freedom of movement can even find his leather thong in his stuffed component pouch in 6 seconds. Let alone actually doing the rest of the spellcasting. Alright the thong maybe, but I bet you after the first few disappear, the spiders start hiding.

Boci
2010-05-20, 10:36 AM
Now I want to make a female spell caster just so the following conversation can take place:
Me: I cast freedom of movement
DM: But you've only got one hand free. That enough for the sonomatic component but not for securing the thing.
Me: Its okay, I've already sorted that.
DM: When? I don't rember you telling me.
Me: *Shows DM list of clothing items worn by character*

GlowingFauxPas
2010-05-20, 10:57 AM
I'll ask my question better than, for a spell which doesn't say what specifically must be done with the material component, what do you do?

Boci
2010-05-20, 11:00 AM
I'll ask my question better than, for a spell which doesn't say what specifically must be done with the material component, what do you do?

Hold it in your hand makes the most sense to me.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-20, 11:06 AM
Material components always have been and always will be a joke. If the spellcaster has the pouch (and if he has his hands bound, already has the material in-hand or prepared), the spell works. Trying to make it more involved than that just makes playing an arcane caster exceedingly unfun.

GlowingFauxPas
2010-05-21, 05:54 AM
Material components always have been and always will be a joke. If the spellcaster has the pouch (and if he has his hands bound, already has the material in-hand or prepared), the spell works. Trying to make it more involved than that just makes playing an arcane caster exceedingly unfun.

Isn't that a contradiction? You said that all that should be required is that the component is in his pouch, and then you said that if he is bound the component has to be in his hand?

jokey665
2010-05-21, 06:08 AM
Isn't that a contradiction? You said that all that should be required is that the component is in his pouch, and then you said that if he is bound the component has to be in his hand?

It's not a contradiction, because it's assumed that as long as the caster is not bound or otherwise restrained that he is able to grab what he needs out of his pouch; if he is so restrained to be unable to do so they would obviously need to be in his hand already.

draco_nite
2010-05-21, 06:17 AM
Eschew Materials. That's all I have to say.

GlowingFauxPas
2010-05-21, 06:31 AM
It's not a contradiction, because it's assumed that as long as the caster is not bound or otherwise restrained that he is able to grab what he needs out of his pouch; if he is so restrained to be unable to do so they would obviously need to be in his hand already.

You're assuming that you need to grab the component out of the pouch, which is more than assuming that all he has to do is own it in his pouch.

Prodan
2010-05-21, 08:02 AM
There is no way a Wizard of high enough level to cast freedom of movement can even find his leather thong in his stuffed component pouch in 6 seconds.

Wizards don't cast Freedom of Movement.

Boci
2010-05-21, 08:04 AM

Yes they can. Arcane disciple springs to mind, I am sure there are other ways.

Optimystik
2010-05-21, 08:05 AM

You're right - they cast Heart of Water, a better spell that's one level lower.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-21, 09:27 AM

ma·nip·u·late
tr.v.

1. To move, arrange, operate, or control by the hands or by mechanical means, especially in a skillful manner
You've got to grab the component (out of your spell component pouch, usually) and do something with it in your hand(s). That's all we can say for those spells without specific material component action descriptions.

JeenLeen
2010-05-21, 09:47 AM
I've always assumed (or possibly read in core, but I don't recall) that material components are used up, also. I assume magically consumed, so after casting Freedom of Movement the thong then dissolves or merges with the target/caster.

The manipulation of the material components are, I generally assume, tied into the somatic components of a spell. The material components cease existing after the spell is cast.

DonEsteban
2010-05-21, 12:15 PM
I agree with the last two posts.

Has anybody ever tried houseruling that retrieving a spell component is a move action? It would certainly make full-round casting a pain...

cenghiz
2010-05-21, 03:10 PM
It is magic. I would allow as a DM if someone said...

Cleric: I take out the leather string from my component pouch and whip it on my arm as I chant loudly. The leather wraps around my arm tight, nearly constricting it with the magic infused into it, still a feeling of freedom washes over me as it tightens on its own accord.

One hand and magic is enough. The thong binds itself. A wizard did it!

Boci
2010-05-21, 03:20 PM
I agree with the last two posts.

Has anybody ever tried houseruling that retrieving a spell component is a move action? It would certainly make full-round casting a pain...

Would probably just make Eschew Materials the natural spell for arcane casters. Wouldn't change too much.

Greenish
2010-05-21, 03:23 PM
I've always assumed (or possibly read in core, but I don't recall) that material components are used up, also. I assume magically consumed, so after casting Freedom of Movement the thong then dissolves or merges with the target/caster.The material components go *poof* the moment the casting in complete, that's correct.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-21, 03:34 PM
The material components go *poof* the moment the casting in complete, that's correct.
Yeah, but the taste remains. :smalltongue:
Material Component: A drop of bitumen and a live spider, both of which must be eaten by the subject.