PDA

View Full Version : Random Prediction

AstralFire
2010-05-20, 06:59 AM
As Haley comes back up the tower, she runs into her imprisoned father. Yes? No? I don't remember the details well enough about where her father was captured and held.

hamishspence
2010-05-20, 07:05 AM
The letter to Haley explained that her father was imprisoned by a Lord Tyrinar The Bloody, of Tyrinaria (Western continent) and was written by a Chancellor Miron Shewdanker.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html

In response to the prediction:

It's possible that since then, Tyrinaria has been replaced by, say, the Empire- given that she received the letter over 2 years ago (8 months before the start of Dungeon Crawling Fools, according to Origin of PCs, and the Empire of Blood was, according to Tarquin, established 2 years ago.

Draconi Redfir
2010-05-20, 07:24 AM
however since we now know that Tarquins (first at least) name is not tyrinar, i think we can cross out the possibility of Elan's dad holding Haley's for ransom.

AstralFire
2010-05-20, 07:24 AM
Are they on the same continent? And thank you.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-20, 07:54 AM
Seems unlikely. Elan's father may have worked for the country that imprisoned Haley's father, and he may even know where he is being held but I doubt he'll be locked up in some prison in that castle.

Magicyop
2010-05-20, 07:55 AM
It could be quite possible. It's clear that Tarquin =/= Tyrinar, but Haley's dad might have been left in the jails of the empire during the time it changed hands. We oughta run into him sometime this arc, so, I mean, why not now? A host of family reunions, right?

dehro
2010-05-20, 08:56 AM
for all we know, her father may have "acquired" the keys to his cell months ago, and have joined up with tarquin's army..or gone elsewhere..or have died..
it makes sense from a "background motivation" pov that he should still be in jail..but I wouldn't be surprised if that was not the case..something in the lines of

"I thought you were in jail"
"that was years ago..I'm a master thief and conman..doesn't the idea that I would sit still and wait for your help for years on end strike you as stupid?"
"..."

doodthedud
2010-05-20, 10:27 AM
The letter to Haley explained that her father was imprisoned by a Lord Tyrinar The Bloody, of Tyrinaria (Western continent) and was written by a Chancellor Miron Shewdanker.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html

In response to the prediction:

It's possible that since then, Tyrinaria has been replaced by, say, the Empire- given that she received the letter over 2 years ago (8 months before the start of Dungeon Crawling Fools, according to Origin of PCs, and the Empire of Blood was, according to Tarquin, established 2 years ago.

He didn't say the empire was established then.

"Two years ago, we helped conquer a nation for the Empress of Blood."

That actually kind of implies that the Empress already had a nation, but expanded it. Doesn't rule out the idea of them owning Tyrinia now though.

hamishspence
2010-05-20, 11:54 AM
Are they on the same continent? And thank you.

Here Bozzok says Haley's father "rushed off to the Western Continent" (and the "local government" has had him in custody for a while)

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0609.html

Also- here we see Haley looking on the Western Continent for Tyrinaria- and mentioning that she received the letter "about two years ago"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html

NerfTW
2010-05-20, 11:58 AM
Well we know Tarquin can't be Tyrinar, because Tyrinar was in power 2 years ago, and Tarquin hasn't ruled a nation in 15 years.

It does, however, make it possible for the Empress of Blood to have taken over Tyrinaria shortly after the letter was sent, since both occurred two years ago.

I predict Haley will run into her father on the way up to the throne room.

Also- here we see Haley looking on the Western Continent for Tyrinaria- and mentioning that she received the letter "about two years ago"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html

In Origin, we see that the letter arrived eight months before the strip started. So if we assume around 4 months prior to the battle and one year split, we get about two years again.

hamishspence
2010-05-20, 12:29 PM
We get a figure of roughly a year between the start of the comic, and Roy's death:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html

The deva says "a year" and the chart matches.

Add about 10 and a half months for the time taken to resurrect Roy- Redcloak says it's been 1 year minus 6 weeks, since Azure City was conquered.

Add 8 months for the time Haley received the letter (8 months before DCF begins)- and you get quite a bit over 2 years.

NerfTW
2010-05-20, 12:57 PM
We get a figure of roughly a year between the start of the comic, and Roy's death:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html

The deva says "a year" and the chart matches.

Add about 10 and a half months for the time taken to resurrect Roy- Redcloak says it's been 1 year minus 6 weeks, since Azure City was conquered.

Add 8 months for the time Haley received the letter (8 months before DCF begins)- and you get quite a bit over 2 years.

Actually, that adds up to two years, and maybe a few months. At the very least, it can't be more than two years plus change because Nale couldn't have been in both the Dungeon of Dorukon AND staging a coup on the other side of the world at the same time.

hamishspence
2010-05-20, 01:13 PM
Two years and about 6 months since Haley received the letter.

That's about right for Nale to have fled the Western continent 2 years ago, and be allied with Xykon two months later- since Haley joined the newlyfounded OoTS 8 months after receiving the letter.

It all works out.

NerfTW
2010-05-20, 02:00 PM
I think we're saying the same thing, I just don't consider 2 years six months to be "way more" than 2 years.

RMcMurtry
2010-05-20, 02:07 PM
From what we know of him, Haley's father was fairly benevolent for a rogue guild leader. He might have been released in the fall of Tyrinar's realm and now running a rebel outfit in the EoB.

hamishspence
2010-05-20, 02:07 PM
The phrase used was "quite a bit over 2 years."

Meaning, significantly more than 2 years, but significantly less than 3 years.

The point to be made was- it wasn't a case of Haley's letter arriving at the same time as Nale left the Empire of Blood- it was some months before.

That is, if Tarquin's using "two years" as being very close to two years.

it's possible that he's using it in the same sense as Haley appeared to be, when talking to the mapmaker- she says she received the letter two years ago, when its been more like two and a half years.

If "two years" means "two years plus or minus 6 months" then Nale's rebellion against his father could have taken place around the same sort of time, as Haley receiving the letter.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-22, 05:19 PM
You know what? I change my opinion. I want Haley to pass her father only on the condition he's turned to stone (a reference to Han being frozen in carbonite) to further the Star Wars references.