PDA

View Full Version : Simple ToB questions.

IdleMuse
2010-05-20, 10:03 AM
Does Swordsage 2 stack with Monk to add twice your Wisdom modifier to AC? RAW it looks like it does, but I'm wondering if there's an FAQ/CustServ/other answer out there that erratas out this fairly easy (and obvious) method of optimising Wis-based melee builds.

Critical
2010-05-20, 10:06 AM
RAW it doesn't - Monk's bonus is when monk's unarmed, Swordsage's is when he's wearing light armor.

Reynard
2010-05-20, 10:09 AM
No, since it's two bonuses with the same name.

And, by RAW, Swordsage doesn't get Wis to AC while out of light armour. That's one of the changes to make when making an Unarmed Swordsage, though.

Also, X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) should help with Wis-optimisation.

Boci
2010-05-20, 10:09 AM
And they are the same source, since each ability has the same name, so they would not stack anyway.

IdleMuse
2010-05-20, 10:22 AM
Thanks; I missed the specific requirement of Swordsage to wear Light Armour, as opposed to light armour or less.

Probably going to go Carmendine monk on this build now, maybe in combo with Iaijutsu master from OA and DMG Duelist, with Swashbuckler for Insightful Strike.

Anyway, yeah, another question as I read through ToB; Prereq's for Shadow Blade: Table says Manuever, Text says Stance; is there a canonical ruling on this?

Boci
2010-05-20, 10:28 AM
Thanks; I missed the specific requirement of Swordsage to wear Light Armour, as opposed to light armour or less.

Probably going to go Carmendine monk on this build now, maybe in combo with Iaijutsu master from OA and DMG Duelist, with Swashbuckler for Insightful Strike.

Anyway, yeah, another question as I read through ToB; Prereq's for Shadow Blade: Table says Manuever, Text says Stance; is there a canonical ruling on this?

Since you need to be in a stance to gain the benefit it would be stance.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-20, 10:30 AM
And they are the same source, since each ability has the same name, so they would not stack anyway.

As I pointed out in another thread, the ability for Fist of the Forest (CChamp) is also named "AC Bonus"... thus, by that logic, shouldn't stack. However, the sample character clearly gets both Wis & Con to AC.

I would simply rule that you can't have the same stat providing the same bonus more than once.

A Stance is a Manuever for the purposes of prereq's.

WotC has also said that "Text trumps Table, always". So if the feat text says it requires you to know a Stance, then you need to know a Stance (and is therefore a bit harder to qualify for).

Runestar
2010-05-20, 07:20 PM
I suspect the designers intended for swordsage's wis mod to AC to apply when he wears light or no armour, but sadly, no errata is forthcoming. :smallconfused:

And, by RAW, Swordsage doesn't get Wis to AC while out of light armour. That's one of the changes to make when making an Unarmed Swordsage, though.

Why? You are an unarmed swordsage, not an unarmoured swordsage...:smallbiggrin:

Prodan
2010-05-20, 07:26 PM
Actually, I heard it was errata'd to work in no armor in the ToD errata - before it turns into Complete Mage errata, anyways.

olentu
2010-05-20, 07:42 PM
Actually, I heard it was errata'd to work in no armor in the ToD errata - before it turns into Complete Mage errata, anyways.

Looks like they only got to strike of the broken shield, five-shadow creeping ice enervation strike, and part way through firesnake.