PDA

View Full Version : Help! Buying 3.5 Sourcebooks

Lix Lorn
2010-05-20, 11:44 AM
Hiya. I live in England, and I want to get hold of some/many/all the sourcebooks for d&d (particularly the basic three books, Tome of Battle, the Complete Arcane and the Complete Psionic). However, I don't know anywhere that stocks them, and Amazon only has them at about £50. Anyone know a shop somewhere near Portsmouth (I live near there) or a website where they're reasonably priced?

Divide by Zero
2010-05-20, 11:53 AM
Amazon only has them at about £50.

Each, or for all of them? If the former, that's ridiculous. If the latter, it's perfectly reasonable, and you probably won't get too much better than that anyway.

Barbarian MD
2010-05-20, 12:21 PM
I'd try eBay. So far I've picked up a number of the Complete series for $10 (plus shipping) each. I think my copy of ToB was $15. A number of the lesser-demand books (Heroes of Battle, Savage Species, Spell Compendium) regularly go for $5-10.

The trick is to be REALLY patient, though. You shouldn't have to pay more than $25 for any book so long as you're willing to wait (with the exception of the MIC). I've been waiting for two months on a good MIC deal (I refuse to pay $50-90 on a book).

Lix Lorn
2010-05-20, 01:16 PM
£50 for ToB alone.

eBay is a good idea. Thanks.

Thurbane
2010-05-20, 02:07 PM
Each, or for all of them? If the former, that's ridiculous. If the latter, it's perfectly reasonable, and you probably won't get too much better than that anyway.
Yeah, Amazon and Ebay prices for 3.5 books (especially PHB & DMG) are just plain ludicrous at the moment...

Cyrion
2010-05-20, 02:53 PM
Make sure you check the US Amazon site too. The prices fluctuate quite a bit, and I just picked up a couple of new books for $20 each plus shipping. Two weeks earlier, and they'd been $50 apiece. Like mhvaughan said, patience is a key virtue.

Jair Barik
2010-05-20, 03:05 PM
Complete Psionics
Miniatures Handbook
Rules Compendium
Exemplars of Evil
and Complete scoundrel are all usually abundantly available at a low price though of those I'd say only two (possibly three) are worth getting.

EPH, PHB2, CC, and CD are all pretty pricy though that said I waited and recently got PHB2 and complete adventurer for about a tenner each off of amazon. The one that is particularly elusive seems to be Stormwrack. Copies are incredibly hard to find and those that you can find are rediculously expensive.

IonDragon
2010-05-20, 03:08 PM
I recently saw ToB for $150 on eBay. While absurd, I imagine they sell to collectors.

EDIT: They are currently $40-60

Drakevarg
2010-05-20, 03:13 PM
Used book store. It'll take a few tries, but if you check the right ones you can usually find something. (Tend to be cheaper than retail, too.)

Barbarian MD
2010-05-20, 03:23 PM
Of course, if you want to save yourself some trouble, you can just buy every single book in one fell swoop:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-Dragons-3-5-Edition-Book-Collection-/220605634910?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335d1ed95e

Lix Lorn
2010-05-20, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all the help, people!
I guess used book shops would be the best option.