PDA

View Full Version : Building my Namesake <3.5>

Machiavellian
2010-05-20, 12:33 PM
How do you, using one PrC, make a Machiavellian character? Any and all books are allowed (I own almost every one) and Base Races, OA, and Races of only for races

Human Paragon 3
2010-05-20, 12:38 PM
I would go with a Marshal or PC Expert (unearthed arcana generic classes). I don't think a PrC is really necessary unless you want to go with Spymaster or something like that. I don't think that fits Machiavelli particularly well, however.

Then again, if you just want a character that embodies Machiavelli's ideas (most famously the ones from The Prince, that it is better to be feared than loved) a Paladin of Tyranny may be a better choice.

2xMachina
Cha bluff Bard with Glibness?

Cheesewrought Kobold is always the best. +3Cha, and +free Sorc lvls.

Greenish
Changeling rogue1/bard9/sublime chord10.

Rogue could be skipped over, I guess, but the changeling substitution level is veeery delicious.

gallagher
You mean feared and loved, as every ruler should optimally be?

Cleric 20. Prepare attack and self-buffs. Heal spontaneously as necessary

Greenish
2010-05-20, 12:44 PM
(most famously the ones from The Prince, that it is better to be feared than loved)Then again, in D&D 3.5 it's better to be loved than feared. Intimidate (the social use) only lasts for an hour, tops (without Zhentarim Soldier), but Diplomacy is permament.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-20, 12:44 PM
A martial character with excellent social skills, with a slight emphasis on intimidate then diplomacy. Really though, this is more of an outlook then a crunch issue for the most part.

PId6
2010-05-20, 12:45 PM
Whisper Gnome Beguiler 5/Mindbender 1/Beguiler +14

gallagher
2010-05-20, 12:47 PM
Whisper Gnome Beguiler 5/Mindbender 1/Beguiler +14

Don't beguilers have charisma as a main stat?

Greenish
2010-05-20, 12:48 PM
Don't beguilers have charisma as a main stat?Curiously enough, no. They're Int-based.

Pluto
2010-05-20, 12:49 PM
Skills: Know (Nobility), literacy.
Race: Whatever; not important.
Class: Whatever; not important.
Feats: Whatever; not important.

gallagher
2010-05-20, 12:56 PM
Curiously enough, no. They're Int-based.

That is indeed curiosity-invoking to me. A class based on deceptin, bluffs, sociobility... And they aren't based on charisma?

And here I was under the impression that they were similar to bards, but instead of buffing the party, they make the enemy have a harder time hitting you.

Greenish
2010-05-20, 12:58 PM
That is indeed curiosity-invoking to me. A class based on deceptin, bluffs, sociobility... And they aren't based on charisma?

And here I was under the impression that they were similar to bards, but instead of buffing the party, they make the enemy have a harder time hitting you.Well, they're skillmonkeys. Besides, you don't need that much charisma with a spell list like beguiler.

Machiavellian
2010-05-20, 01:27 PM
Then again, in D&D 3.5 it's better to be loved than feared. Intimidate (the social use) only lasts for an hour, tops (without Zhentarim Soldier), but Diplomacy is permament.

Multiclass a Zhentarim Soldier with a PoT?

Greenish
2010-05-20, 01:32 PM
Multiclass a Zhentarim Soldier with a PoT?Even then, Intimidate only lasts 24 hours. Besides, Intimidate is an opposed check unlike Diplomacy, and only gets the target up to "friendly". Optimized diplomancer can turn anyone into his fanatical followers in two turns by level 6-7.

Telonius
2010-05-20, 01:34 PM
Regardless, he probably shouldn't be a PC. Machiavelli was very much against the idea of hired mercenaries, which is essentially what most PCs are.

Greenish
2010-05-20, 01:36 PM
Regardless, he probably shouldn't be a PC. Machiavelli was very much against the idea of hired mercenaries, which is essentially what most PCs are.Had he been one, he wouldn't have opposed them. :smallwink:

gallagher
2010-05-20, 01:36 PM
Regardless, he probably shouldn't be a PC. Machiavelli was very much against the idea of hired mercenaries, which is essentially what most PCs are.

or hobos/adventurers

Ravens_cry
2010-05-20, 01:43 PM
or hobos/adventurers

I am working, for lack of a better word, on a campaign where that is explicitly the case. Adventurers are like Klondike gold diggers.
They may have wealth, maybe, if they are lucky, but they are stinky, smelly, hairy* brutes around whom you should lock up your good silverware and your daughters and sons. Locking the goat shed wouldn't hurt either.
*Even the women. Especially the women.