PDA

View Full Version : Questions about D&D 3.5 Weapon

Aelemar
2010-05-20, 01:44 PM
Hello! I am new to this forum. However, after a few months of inactivity I re-started a 3.5 campaign that my friends and I had left, and I am working on re-equipping my character. I am very interested in using a Large Great Axe, but I have no idea where to look for one? In other words, I would love the name of a good axe that I can buy and enchant at will. Or at least, know where I can get the names of some large weapons! I am planning to use the weapon with Strongarm Bracers. Thanks!

Milskidasith
2010-05-20, 01:57 PM
Hello! I am new to this forum. However, after a few months of inactivity I re-started a 3.5 campaign that my friends and I had left, and I am working on re-equipping my character. I am very interested in using a Large Great Axe, but I have no idea where to look for one? In other words, I would love the name of a good axe that I can buy and enchant at will. Or at least, know where I can get the names of some large weapons! I am planning to use the weapon with Strongarm Bracers. Thanks!

Wrong forum, and please use the easy to use SRD (d20srd.org) (or even your books) to find easy to find things; while obviously it's not expected to know everything, there are a wealth of online resources and information in the books that means you can save time by finding out basic data like the damage of open source weapons on your own.

Anyway, a large great axe would be a martial two handed weapon with a base damage of 3d6. As for enhancing (enchanting is different) the weapon... any weapon can be enhanced, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Eldan
2010-05-20, 02:11 PM
It seems you have a misunderstanding here, probably resulting from playing 3.0 first:

Larger weapons don't get different names in 3.5, just different sizes.
A human uses a medium longsword, a halfling uses a small longsword, an ogre uses a large longsword.

Therefore, what you are looking for does not have a different name, it's just called "large greataxe". It's identical to a medium greataxe, except for dealing more damage.

Zeta Kai
2010-05-20, 02:36 PM
Both of the above posters are correct one all major points, so I'll just add that the specific page of the SRD that would help you best is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize). Suffice to say, that large greataxe would be just like a medium greataxe, except:

It would deal 3d6 points of damage per hit.
Since you are a medium creature, & it is a two-handed weapon already, you technically shouldn't be able to wield it, as it would move beyond your capacity to use it effectively (unless you have 3 arms or Powerful Build, like a Goliath). If you could, you would only take a -2 penalty for the size difference.
It would weigh twice as much as a medium greataxe; IE 24 lbs.

Eldan
2010-05-20, 03:10 PM
Can you wield it in three hands? That's not a rule I think I've heard before.

Strudel110
2010-05-20, 06:28 PM
I remember seeing that rule before but I can't remember where.