PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk...A Golem? (3.5, Creature, PEACH)

SlaadLord
2010-05-20, 04:14 PM
Er. I've had steampunk stuff on the brain lately, so here's an appropriate golem. PEACH please, I'm sure I managed to do something wrong.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Steampipe Golem
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 12d10 + 30 (96 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 21, touch 9, flat-footed 21 (-1 size, +12 natural)
Base Attack/ Grapple: +9/+19
Attack: Slam +14 melee (2d8 + 6 plus 1d6 fire)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +14 melee (2d8 + 6 plus 1d6 fire)
Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, searing spray, steamdriven
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, DR 10/admantine, Darkvision 60ft., immunity to fire and magic, low-light vision, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 13-24 HD (Large); 25-36 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

Combination boiler and soldier, steampipe golems are built of hundreds of feet of fine copper piping, rubber tubes, glass lenses, and a magical boiler. First constructed by a mad wizard who thought one day to replace simple muscle power with that of burning coal and boiling water, steampipe golems work according to several pseudo-scientific laws as well as established magical theory. A typical steampipe golem stands eleven feet tall and weighs about 750 lbs.

Combat
Cutting out direct orders, a steampipe golem reflexively uses its searing spray every time it can as long as it is engaged in melee. It uses improved grab if commanded, or if it faces only one opponent in melee.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a steampipe golem must hit a Large or smaller creature with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity.
Searing Spray (Ex): As a free action once every 1d4 + 1 rounds, a steampipe golem can unleash a blast of searing hot steam, dealing 3d6 fire damage to all creatures within 10 feet. A successful Reflex save (DC 16) halves this damage.
Steamdriven (Ex): Steampipe golems radiate terrible heat and clouds of steam. Enemies that strike a steampipe golem with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take 1d6 fire damage, and its slam attacks also deal this damage. Targets grappled by a steampipe golem instead take 3d6 fire damage per round the grapple is maintained. When a steampipe golem is exposed to a large quantity of water, such as being immersed up to its waist or being rained on, a fog cloud appears, as per the spell. This effect is centered on the golem.
Immunity to Magic (Ex): A steampipe golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below. Cold spells and effects affect the golem normally, even if they permit spell resistance (but note the golem's vulnerability to cold). A magical attack that deals fire damage heals a steampipe golem of 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage such an attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points.

CREATING A STEAMPIPE GOLEM
The creation of a steampipe golem requires that a body be built, using copper and iron piping and a series of other magical oils and components costing a total of at least 2,000 gp. The golem's creator can build the body personally or hire someone else to do the job. The builder must have ranks in craft (metalworking). Assembly requires a successful DC 15 craft (metalworking) check.
CL 11th; Fireball, fire shield, fog cloud, geas/quest, caster must be at least 11th level; Price 35,000 gp; Cost 20,000 gp + 800 XP.

Debihuman
2010-05-21, 02:07 AM
It's well done. I'm not seeing any glaring errors other than you forgot to mention which ability Searing Spray is based on for the Reflex Save. Could be Dexterity based but I wasn't sure.

I really like the fog effect if the steampipe golem is immersed in water.

Debby

Tibbaerrohwen
2010-05-22, 02:18 PM
I concur with Debihuman. Looks good to me so far. I love the flavour; golems fit perfectly with steampunk.

Nakun
2010-05-22, 02:42 PM
Very nicely crafted. A true creative master piece!

BLiZme.2
2010-05-22, 04:05 PM
This is awesome. I’m working on a setting where this would be very appropriate do you mind if I link to it?

SlaadLord
2010-05-22, 04:35 PM
You can use it, sure. I'd be flattered, in fact.

DracoDei
2010-05-22, 11:21 PM
You need to describe how they decide between melee and area of effect attacks. Since it is INT - then "good tactics" is decidedly NOT a valid answer. Should be deterministic in some fashion (although including orders from the controller).

SlaadLord
2010-05-22, 11:28 PM
Cutting out direct orders, a steampipe golem reflexively uses its searing spray every time it can as long as it is engaged in melee. It uses improved grab if commanded, or if it faces only one opponent in melee.

DracoDei
2010-05-22, 11:49 PM

Great. Now copy-paste that somewhere appropriate in the original post.

SlaadLord
2010-05-22, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the input. Always a pleasure, DracoDei.

BLiZme.2
2010-05-23, 02:50 AM
Thank you here is a link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120354)to the thred in case you are interested.