PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Issues

Defiant
2010-05-20, 09:27 PM
Greetings,

I would like to know if I would be allowed to post one of the comics as a Facebook profile picture.

Thank you

Szilard
2010-05-20, 11:38 PM
Unless you get permission from the Giant himself (which I highly doubt), no.

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-20, 11:52 PM
I think this part of the Forum Rules is the pertinent part...

Copyrighted Material and OotS Images
Using copyrighted artwork as an avatar is technically illegal unless you have the permission of the copyright holder.

Defiant
2010-05-20, 11:56 PM
I figured as much.

Killer Angel
2010-05-21, 03:23 AM
You can always provide a link...

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-21, 12:41 PM
{Scrubbed. Please don't give advice in Board Issues unless you're certain that it's correct.}

NerfTW
2010-05-21, 01:53 PM
{Scrubbed}

A: Profit does not have any bearing on copyright infringement.

B: He explicitly asks people NOT to do that in the FAQ.

Q: Can I repost one of the comic strips to another site? Can I alter the image and repost it?

A: Definitely not. The digital image of each strip is protected under copyright law, and reposting it or altering it without permission is going to almost always be a copyright violation. I need to be very careful with my intellectual property in order that I might be able to earn profit from my work.which in turn will allow me to create more of it. If I discover a site that is reusing my art, I will ask them to remove it, and I won.t feel bad about doing so.

Reposting the comic as an avatar is STILL reposting a comic, regardless of what you want to call it.

edit- quoted the wrong question. :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-21, 02:00 PM
A: Profit does not have any bearing on copyright infringement.

B: He explicitly asks people NOT to do that in the FAQ.

Reposting the comic as an avatar is STILL reposting a comic, regardless of what you want to call it.

edit- quoted the wrong question. :smalltongue:

I acknowledged it was against the rules, just that if he's not claiming it as his own/making money from it and puts a link to the site on his page the Giant is unlikely to go trawling through Facebook to find him and sue him (though I have less than zero legal knowledge so don't take my post as actual legal advice).

NerfTW
2010-05-21, 02:08 PM
You said "chances are it will be tolerated". It won't. Who cares about if he'll find out, he's asked people not to, and it's just polite to follow his request.

And the Giant has a legal team, it's not just him. And they WILL tell people to take them down, even if money isn't being made.

Frankly, he requested people not to repost his comics. Not following that request is a bit rude, regardless if you can get away with it or not.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-21, 02:10 PM
Perhaps. I apologise for endorsing breaking the rules.

Catch
2010-05-21, 02:13 PM
There are some artists who wouldn't (and don't) care.
There are some artists who would like a little credit.
There are some artists who explicitly say, "Please don't do that."

Rich is a member of the latter.

To summarize: You "can," but Rich would rather you didn't.

NerfTW
2010-05-21, 02:19 PM
There are some artists who wouldn't (and don't) care.
There are some artists who would like a little credit.
There are some artists who explicitly say, "Please don't do that."

Rich is a member of the latter.

To summarize: You "can," but Rich would rather you didn't.

Well, that depends on your definition of "can". I "can" rob a bank. I "can" drive my car at 80mph on city streets. I "can" spraypaint that wall.

But that doesn't mean there aren't consequences if I get caught. I'm still breaking the law. "But I didn't think you'd find out" is not a valid defense ever.

Catch
2010-05-21, 02:33 PM
Well, that depends on your definition of "can". I "can" rob a bank. I "can" drive my car at 80mph on city streets. I "can" spraypaint that wall.

But that doesn't mean there aren't consequences if I get caught. I'm still breaking the law. "But I didn't think you'd find out" is not a valid defense ever.

Do me a favor - do yourself a favor, actually. Login to Facebook and type "Order of the Stick" into the search field. Count how many pages and groups come up that have artwork lifted from the site and the store. On those pages, count how many people have profile photos using Rich's copyrighted art.

I'm saying that it happens, and frequently. I'm also saying that Rich has asked people not to do it, implying that you shouldn't. It's difficult to quash every instance of copyright violation, which is why Rich has explicitly asked people not to use his art without permission - if you value his wishes, you won't.

NerfTW
2010-05-21, 02:52 PM
Do me a favor - do yourself a favor, actually. Login to Facebook and type "Order of the Stick" into the search field. Count how many pages and groups come up that have artwork lifted from the site and the store. On those pages, count how many people have profile photos using Rich's copyrighted art.

And if you go on a warez site you can find hundreds of copies of the latest software and movies, what's your point? I'm just saying the repeated use of "Well, you can do it and you probably won't be caught" stuff on this page is pretty much saying "Do it", not "don't".

You're right, this is hitting a nerve with me. Because it basically boils down to "The Giant says don't". NO WAFFLING. No "Well, if you really wanted to". We should be saying "DON'T". That's all.

My example stands. In fact, add "Everyone else is doing it" to the list of defenses that don't work.

Catch
2010-05-21, 03:06 PM
You're right, this is hitting a nerve with me.

I can tell. Let me clarify.

There is a lot of copyright infringement going on out there, and to lessen the burden of having to track down every instance, it helps to expressly say, "Don't do that." It's an additional reason not to use an artist's art without permission, and one that's more direct - because someone you (I would hope) respect has asked that you not.

That's a better reason not to use his art.

Roland St. Jude
2010-05-21, 04:12 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This question was answered by the third post. Why people decided to continue with misleading, potentially Forum Rule and law violating, comments, I do not know. Please don't do that - unless you are certain that your answer is correct, please don't answer questions in Board Issues.