PDA

View Full Version : no longer a problem. Move along.

EndlessWrath
2010-05-20, 09:49 PM
As I've already taken up a bit of space and no one seems to be able to help me with my problem just yet.. I'd like to extend it to more computer savvy people, instead of more game savvy people.

I've been trying to download League of Legends (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/) off the official site. When I do the download... it doesn't download the game like it should, but instead downloads a text file with a bunch of random coding. I'm completely confused and no one seems to be able to answer my question. Can someone help me? I think its more of a technical issue than it is about the game so I figured it'd be okay asking.

-Wrath

Erloas
2010-05-20, 10:25 PM
I haven't played the game... but is the file that downloads about the right size for the game? I assume it gives you a file size. If that is the case then it just seems like the file has the wrong extension. If the file size looks right and you trust the company you got the file from, try changing the file extension from .txt to .exe and try to run it and see what happens.

EndlessWrath
2010-05-20, 10:43 PM
I haven't played the game... but is the file that downloads about the right size for the game? I assume it gives you a file size. If that is the case then it just seems like the file has the wrong extension. If the file size looks right and you trust the company you got the file from, try changing the file extension from .txt to .exe and try to run it and see what happens.

it is .exe thats what is weirding me out. I can use computers but when it comes to tech stuff >.< I'm quite noobly.

Edit: It could be that I am on a Mac... as many games..are not compatable with macs. I'll look it up. Sorry to bother people, please go about your business.
-Wrath

Erloas
2010-05-20, 10:55 PM
That would probably be it. The system requirements in the support link says it does not work with OSX.

Techsmart
2010-05-20, 11:04 PM
Let me try downloading it myself, and Ill see if I get a similar issue...
What exactly is it loading the text in? is it opening it in a generic text editor, or in some other program (im a linux/windows guy, so the more info the better).
also, what are your system's specifications?

Techsmart
2010-05-20, 11:16 PM
Ok, i did my homework...
League of legends, as far as I could tell, is a windows-only program for the time being. if you want to play it, your best bet is to run bootcamp (see This location (http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/)) and open it through there. Hope this helps.

EndlessWrath
2010-05-20, 11:16 PM
Let me try downloading it myself, and Ill see if I get a similar issue...
What exactly is it loading the text in? is it opening it in a generic text editor, or in some other program (im a linux/windows guy, so the more info the better).
also, what are your system's specifications?

I found the problem.. which makes me feel dumber than before >.>
I don't think it works because Im using a Mac. Doesn't work with mac I guess. >.> Sorry to bother you guys. I do hope they fix this though, I guess I'll use my Virus and anti-virus ridden PC desktop to try this game out.

Note to self: Wrath needs to do his homework before asking GitP friends questions with obvious answers -__-

-Wrath

Poison_Fish
2010-05-27, 04:37 PM
Problem Solved. (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=122237)

There have been two threads in friendly banter about this. Take a look at the LoL thread in gaming for more questions, including technical. I figure some of us can answer them.