PDA

View Full Version : 4e Lovecraftian Game! (lv 8)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-20, 11:02 PM
Between the heavy clouds and the endless rain, you might as well be blind. In the occasional flash of lightning, however, as the rain is forced aside by a gust of howling wind, you can just barely make out the road ahead. A veritable river of mud twists and winds through a copse of gnarled trees and along a rocky coastline battered by whitecapped swells. And beyond, visible only by the brightest thunderbolts, stands a town. From what you can see, the buildings are old and patched, and the roofs are shingled peaks. Just another village, it seems, but something about it sets your teeth on edge and your skin to crawling. But then, perhaps it is just the cold and the rain...

Please Post Anything OOC in Spoiler Tags.

faith
2010-05-20, 11:16 PM
as thunder rages overhead Visage grins, and the lightning has a calming effect on her strained nerves. she pauses as she looks over the town.
OOC can we assume that we have been adventuring together? or are we introducing characters?

A'den
2010-05-20, 11:41 PM
OOC: Any Chance we can add Jokes' Monk since we only have 4 party members? If your goal is to kill us a Monk would be excellent test. And I've found party dynamics are always better in odds.

A figure plods through the mud at a slow steady pace his brown cloak stretches out behind him like a sheet rippling win in the wind. Romulus pulled another booted foot out of the mud that almost pulled his boots off with each step. His gaze was fixed on the sight of the town ahead, tonight he would solicit the tavern even if it was packed, just for some hot spiced wine. Bringing good tidings to the faithful of Avandra was truly a cold and trying task this night.

He plodded along simply not perceiving the figures he shared the murky road with, if it could even be called that, this was worse than that time in the swamp with the Lizardfolk. He could feel Avandra driving him on, these people needed his ministering... badly. A errant moment of pride escaped him as his mind wondered what need could be so bad out here that these people needed his not insignificant skills.

"Avandra grant me Luck and Fortune," He murmured the prayer as he plodded.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-21, 12:40 PM
Although still rendered gray and miserable by the constant downpour, the town of Ashenport looks better up close than it did from a distance. You can now see that many of the buildings are sturdier than they appeared; a few are even made of quarried stone, rather than wood. Even in the inclement weather, several shops bustle with activity, and the light that gleams through many a window is bright and cheerful. Sporadic people trudge their way along the muddy roads, shoulders hunched against the rain, going about this business or that. The salty tang of the sea, and the lingering odor of a hundred years of fishing, insinuate themselves around your mouth and nose. Even the torrential rains and winds cannot completely strip the powerful stench from the air.

Note You have been adventuring with each-other for years and you know each-other well.

Another Note The inn is called "The Smooth Sailing Inn
and Tavern", you may go there if you wish.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-21, 12:47 PM
A visual aid:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7518/ashenport.png (http://img199.imageshack.us/i/ashenport.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

faith
2010-05-21, 08:02 PM
Visage pulls her hood over her head as she enters the...she looks up. at the Smooth Sailing Inn and Tavern...how quaint. a more more-than-casual observer might observe a small creature slip into one of her pockets.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-21, 08:10 PM
Three different patterns of wooden floor, at three slightly different levels, make up the common room. Beyond this single quirk, however, this might as well be any other tavern: a bar stands on one side of the vast chamber, a staircase on the other, with a smattering of chairs and tables scattered throughout the area. Two fireplaces radiate a comforting warmth throughout the room, and several serving staff whirl about with tankards of ale and plates of smoked fish.

Ranger Mattos
2010-05-21, 08:45 PM
Ilikan plods along with the others, and like Visage, wonders at the lightning. "My father Kord is warning us of something..." he mumbles in a low voice, "but what?"

He notices that his 7 foot 8 frame is drawing the occasional stare from the populace. As they reach the inn, Ilikan thinks to himself, That name does not seem appropriate. While walking inside, he questions why the floors would be like that.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-21, 09:56 PM
Roughly 2 hours before dawn:
Slowly, gradually, a new sound penetrates the pounding of the rain and the howling of the winds. Barely audible at first, it resolves itself into an alien, high-pitched keening. It resounds with loss, with sadness—the lament of a mother who has lost her children or of the sailor stranded far from home. It echoes from over the waves and grows ever louder until the storm has receded into the background. It fills your ears, insinuates itself through your mind and your soul, until you can think and dream of almost nothing else. It is not beautiful. It is not comforting. And yet you find yourself overcome with an irresistible urge to follow.

faith
2010-05-21, 10:16 PM
feeling drawn to the strange sound Visage shivers, then she ask's her familiars advice. well? what do you think this is? and then she scours her experience and memory for an answer.
To the group she asks:is there any history of this...noise?
ok so rolling Arcana check assuming this noise is indeed mystical to try to identify the noise, or what makes it.1d20+11
*edited because i fail at using the die roller.

faith
2010-05-21, 10:21 PM
[roll0]for my arcana roll

Ranger Mattos
2010-05-22, 04:02 PM
"This is not the voice of the spirits, or of any god," Ilikan says. "This is something far more ancient." He shudders.

A'den
2010-05-22, 11:13 PM
Religion Check: [roll0]

"Surely an ill omen." Romulus mutters as he stands in the common room with a mug full of hot wine he looks to his companions. There was a mournful tone to that wailing struck a chord in him.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-23, 09:08 AM
The arcana check grants you nothing but the religion check reveals that this is the call of one of the great old ones, locked in prisons out of time.

A'den
2010-05-23, 10:18 AM
"I think you are right Ilikan, this is something older than time out of mind, and likely a threat simply due to its displacement. Lets go take a look outside."

Ranger Mattos
2010-05-23, 10:55 AM
"I will follow you. But we should not be worried. The gods and spirits of the land will protect us," Ilikan says.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-23, 05:14 PM
Behind the constant rains and stone-thick clouds, the lightening of the sky is all but imperceptible. Still, dawn has come, and Ashenport should be rising as well. It is not. Even as the first few moments of morning creep past, the town remains utterly still. No doors slam, no shopkeepers huddle against the rain as they rush to start the new day’s business. Other than yourselves and your fellow outsiders, not a soul stirs. The only signs of life are a few large gulls, undaunted by the rains, that perch among the town’s roofs, like flies converging on a bloating corpse.

I smell a skill challenge, you may question the townsfolk.

A'den
2010-05-23, 05:53 PM
Romulus begins to question some of the outsiders trying to try find anything out about local habits and why today seems so strange.

Diplomacy Check: [roll0]

Ranger Mattos
2010-05-23, 06:59 PM
Ilikan begins to talk to the shady denizens of the city as well.

Streetwise: [roll0]

Asbestos
2010-05-24, 01:34 AM
Standing out of the rain under the protection of an overhanging roof Andvari examines the sky with white, featureless eyes. His beard quills quiver and rattle softly as he recalls the invasive cry. The early morning stillness of the town is unusual and given the earlier disturbance it has an additional unsettling quality.

As his fellow adventurers go off to charm or coax information out of whatever townsfolk they may encounter in the early hours, Andvari slowly strolls the empty streets, keen to any sound or shadow that may hint at some sort of previously unnoticed strangeness.

In other words, he's taking in the town doing some percepting for anything or anyone out of the ordinary.
Perception Check
[roll0]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-24, 10:34 AM
No matter how much you try diplomacy all the villagers will say is that they have heard this sound before during storms. However your passive insight reveals that they are hieing something / Trying to device you.

Ranger Mattos
2010-05-24, 03:32 PM
What is it they are not telling us, Ilikan wonders. He decides to try to scare them into telling him.

Intimidate: [roll0]

Seriously speaking, shouldn't a 300 lb goliath get some extra bonus to intimidate?

faith
2010-05-24, 04:01 PM
Visage grimaces at the terrible threats her companions try to make, then steps forward.
you will tell us what we wish to know, one way or another as an added effect electric shocks form around her fingers and her eyes start to glow as a slow wind picks up.
[roll0]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-24, 05:03 PM
One of the townsfolk blurts out It doesn't usually happen like this, our father is angry! and than he thinks about what he just said and runs for it.

A'den
2010-05-24, 07:17 PM
"Hmm that's quite odd these people seem especially resistance to the carrot if you will."

Romulus tries to unlock some insight or clue from the man's blurted words and startled actions.

Insight Check [roll0]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-24, 07:45 PM
The people may be magically influenced or threatened into not saying anything.

faith
2010-05-24, 08:21 PM
Visage attempts to gather more information about this "father" and seeks council with her familiar
[roll0] for a history check also OOC we should set up a thread to discuss stratageys and stuff.

Ranger Mattos
2010-05-25, 03:30 PM
OOC: Would knowledge about the spirits be a Nature check?

Asbestos
2010-05-25, 07:08 PM
Since the threats of his allies don't appear to be working, Andvari tries a more subtle approach. Perhaps he can loosen a tongue with a different approach:

Bluff Check
[roll0]
Basically trying to let on that he knows something, but getting the townie to fill in the blanks, that or plain old trickery.

faith
2010-05-25, 09:53 PM
Visage sighs. Leave the lying to the people who are decent at it she thinks to herself. then she tries her hand at bluffing
[roll0] bluff check, to back up Andvari

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-27, 11:13 PM
Visage sighs. Leave the lying to the people who are decent at it she thinks to herself. then she tries her hand at bluffing
[roll0] bluff check, to back up Andvari

You end up getting the townsfolk to admit that their leaders have likely gone to prepare for a religious rite that the townsfolk practice once a year. They claim that this rite is meant to protect them from the call of the sea.

Asbestos
2010-05-28, 12:46 AM
So we've got people saying that 'Father is angry' and we've got people acting like this is just another annual occurrence. Something about this place stinks and it isn't just the rotting fish.
The duergar plucks a quill from his beard and flicks it casually at a gull.
Anyone have any suggestions? Track down this ritual, which might be 'just another day in Ashenport', or just wait until this rain lets up and leave?

Ranger Mattos
2010-05-28, 04:18 PM
"I agree, something is not right in this town. I think we should find out more about this ritual," Ilikan says with suspicion.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-29, 09:53 AM
Do you think we should incorporate Sanity Points into the game?
I know this is a little late but this is how it works:

You have sanity points equal to your wisdom x5. When you see weird stuff I ask you to make sanity checks where you roll a d100, if you roll lower than your sanity you lose none or very few points, if you roll higher than your sanity you lose more sanity points.
When you take a short rest you regain sanity points equal to your wisdom modifier, when you take an extended rest you regain sanity points equal to your wisdom score.
When you run out I take control of your character.

A'den
2010-05-29, 12:03 PM
Muh not really sure how I feel about that either way.

Romulus goes down to the shore to check out whats going on.

Stealth Check: [roll0]
Perception Check: [roll1]

faith
2010-05-29, 05:54 PM
rather not do sanity points but w/e
Visage follows Rom. by about 30 ft.
stealth [roll0]
perception[roll1]

Ranger Mattos
2010-05-30, 07:48 AM
Don't really care.

Ilikan walks with Visage, asking "Why are we going down to the shore?"

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-31, 07:14 PM
Since no one has any major objections we will be playing with sanity points.

faith
2010-05-31, 07:56 PM
awwww crap, i dumped wisdom...well prepare for insane drow lightning slingers to go insane :smalleek:

Asbestos
2010-06-02, 04:24 PM
The grey dwarf sighs and curses the rain in Deep Speech as he adjusts his hood and tromps on down to the shore, about 30 ft behind the last group. He makes no attempt at stealth, but does keep his eyes and ears open.

Perception:
[roll0]
Checking for anyone sneaking up on the sneaks (or on him).

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-04, 02:32 PM
So you all go down to the beach?

Ranger Mattos
2010-06-04, 05:27 PM
Yessssssssssssss. Because you asked that, I expect trouble.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-04, 05:34 PM
Yessssssssssssss. Because you asked that, I expect trouble.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ps. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-04, 05:37 PM
Shambling toward out of the water come nightmares vomited from the sea itself. Roughly humanoid, they are covered in viscous slime, shifting scales, and fishbelly white flesh. Their huge eyes never blink; their mouths gape and flex, but no sound emerges as they approach. They clutch rusty blades in their webbed hands.

All of you make a sanity check.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/60/fishmanattackthing.png (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/fishmanattackthing.png/)

A'den
2010-06-04, 06:54 PM
Sanity Check [roll0]

"I've seen worse than this filth in the Astral Sea, let us destroy these abominations."

[spoiler]
Initiative [roll1]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-04, 07:13 PM
[spoiler] Sanity Check [roll0]

Did you read the sanity rules?
You roll a D100 and you succeed if you roll lower than your current sanity.

faith
2010-06-04, 08:04 PM
Visage lets lets out a maniacal laugh, drawing in the power of the upcoming storm and here i was just thinking i was in the mood for fish fry.
[roll0]
and iniative, [roll]1d20+12

faith
2010-06-04, 08:07 PM
my bad, redoing iniative. [roll0]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-04, 08:08 PM
Visage lets lets out a maniacal laugh, drawing in the power of the upcoming storm and here i was just thinking i was in the mood for fish fry.
[roll0]
and iniative, [roll]1d20+12

I assume you fail sanity?
If so you lose 5 sanity points.

Ranger Mattos
2010-06-05, 09:16 AM
Sanity check: [roll0] Ilikan has a sudden feeling of terror and shock, but still he manages to draw his greataxe.

Initiative: [roll1]

faith
2010-06-05, 01:20 PM
quick clarification on sanity point, if you roll lower than your sanity then you don't loose that many point right? and your sanity is your current amount of points? if that's so then i don't think i fail.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-05, 03:02 PM
quick clarification on sanity point, if you roll lower than your sanity then you don't loose that many point right? and your sanity is your current amount of points? if that's so then i don't think i fail.

Sorry, you lose no sanity points.

Asbestos
2010-06-05, 06:44 PM
[roll0]

Init:
[roll1]

Phew, that roll is pretty high, thankfully my Wisdom is pretty high too

Andvari draws his axe and readies his shield:
Guess this place is a bit more fishy than we thought...

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-05, 07:12 PM
[roll0]

Init:
[roll1]

Phew, that roll is pretty high, thankfully my Wisdom is pretty high too

Andvari draws his axe and readies his shield:
Guess this place is a bit more fishy than we thought...

You lose 4 sanity points.

Asbestos
2010-06-05, 07:35 PM
You lose 4 sanity points.

So, is there a system for sanity point loss? I mean, my Wis x5 is 90 which is 12 greater than what I rolled so... is it 'within 20=bad' or within 15 or a roll above 75 or ??? Not that I really care, because I regain 4 after a short rest

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-05, 08:31 PM
So, is there a system for sanity point loss? I mean, my Wis x5 is 90 which is 12 greater than what I rolled so... is it 'within 20=bad' or within 15 or a roll above 75 or ??? Not that I really care, because I regain 4 after a short rest

Wait, did you roll higher than your sanity or lower?

Asbestos
2010-06-06, 12:32 AM
Wait, did you roll higher than your sanity or lower?
I rolled lower. Sanity is Wisdom x5 correct?

A'den
2010-06-06, 12:34 AM
Sanity Check [roll0]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-06, 08:41 AM
Sanity Check [roll0]

Ouch, 8 sanity points. :smalleek:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-12, 09:01 AM
The Init Order

Visage
Fish Man Slayer
Fish Man Slayer
Fish Man Warrior
Fish Man Warrior
Ilikan
Fish Man Warrior
Romulus
Andvari

The Map

----------------------
----------------------
----------------------
---A-------W----------
-----I-----W---S-S----
-V---------W----------
---R------------------
----------------------

Key

R Romulus
I Ilikan
A Andvari
V Visage
S Fish Man Slayer
W Fish Man Warrior

Asbestos
2010-06-12, 02:16 PM
I'm assuming that each dash equals one square, correct?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-12, 02:57 PM
I'm assuming that each dash equals one square, correct?

Each sideways dash is 2 squares but each vertical dash is 1.

Asbestos
2010-06-12, 07:58 PM
Each sideways dash is 2 squares but each vertical dash is 1.

Kind of like this then?

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/jllazz/Screentest.png

Forgot how to get a labeled grid in MapTool (is it even possible?) so I had to quickly edit that in in Paint

faith
2010-06-13, 06:01 PM
visage grins as she calls forth her magic.

Move action: move 2 squares in front of Ilikan
Standard action: Thunder Bomb on the foremost warrior.
to hit foremost:[roll0] vs fortitude
to hit uppermost:[roll1] vs fortitude
to hit bottom:[roll2] vs fortitude
and potential damage: [roll3] in addition those hit are slowed, and if i hit the foremost one it is immobilized, until the end of my nexxt turn.

faith
2010-06-13, 09:47 PM
also im going to be gone for the next 2 weeks with unreliable internet acess... if someone could play my character, or yall could just drop me.

A'den
2010-06-13, 10:03 PM
Yeah my WIS x5 is 100 so I think my roll still saves me from me from loosing any sanity points.

Romulus struggles to shrug off the shock he feels as the creatures approach he raises his holy symbol. He charges forth wielding his mace.

Move to M8
Ready Action: First enemy to come with in 5 squares attack with Sacred Flame.
[roll0] v Reflex Dmg: [roll1] Radiant Damage. Ilikan gains 9 Temporary Hit Points

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-17, 10:24 AM
The Init Order

Visage
Fish Man Slayer
Fish Man Slayer
Fish Man Warrior (Damaged 10, -2 Penalty to Attacks)
Fish Man Warrior (Damaged 19, Immobilized)
Ilikan
Fish Man Warrior (Damaged 19, Immobilized)
Romulus
Andvari

The Map

----------------------
----------------------
-----------S-----------
---A----W--------------
-----I-----W--S---------
-V---------W----------
---R------------------
----------------------

Key

R Romulus
I Ilikan
A Andvari
V Visage
S Fish Man Slayer
W Fish Man Warrior

The spell hits 2 of the Fish-men but they show no signs of pain.

Ranger Mattos
2010-06-18, 05:38 PM
Am I allowed to start my turn, then delay the rest of it? If so, Ilikan moves to O6, then delays. Otherwise, just delays his turn.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-19, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry about being late, I was having computer issues :smallfrown:.

Asbestos
2010-06-20, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry about being late, I was having computer issues :smallfrown:.
Its cool

I'll wait till the fish-folk go. Do you want me to keep up on the map?

Ranger Mattos
2010-06-24, 04:05 PM
So, what do the fish men do?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-24, 11:23 PM
Do any of you speak Abyssal?

Ranger Mattos
2010-06-25, 08:38 AM
You know, it's questions like that that make DMs scary. And no.

faith
2010-06-26, 11:50 AM
ummm... abyssal? no, no infernal...

Asbestos
2010-06-27, 01:33 AM
Sorry, Deep Speech and Dwarf here.

Ranger Mattos
2010-07-05, 09:27 PM
*ahem* So what do the fish men do?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-05, 11:17 PM
The Fish-Men advance toward you, their eyes unblinking orbs of milky white terror.

A'den
2010-07-05, 11:22 PM
Trigger Ready Action, Blast lead Fishman for 10 points of radiant damage, AR 26, Ilikian gains 9 THP.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-05, 11:27 PM
Trigger Ready Action, Blast lead Fishman for 10 points of radiant damage, AR 26, Ilikian gains 9 THP.

The Fish-Man's flesh begins to bubble and melt after taking radiant damage, a single stream of murky blood-slime trickles down from it's gaping mouth.

Ranger Mattos
2010-07-14, 10:36 PM
Anyone there? Specifically, the DM?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-14, 11:12 PM
Anyone there? Specifically, the DM?

I'm Here, I don't know about anyone else.

Asbestos
2010-07-15, 12:55 AM
Whoa! Sorry everyone! The notification got buried in my inbox. I'm glad this has yet to die. But um, how far away are the fish-men? They just walk up, do they double move, do they not charge? How far away (squares) is my character from the closest one, how close are the fishmen in that lead wedge to each other? Sorry to ask so many questions, but my character is 99% melee and is relatively slow.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-15, 01:03 AM
Whoa! Sorry everyone! The notification got buried in my inbox. I'm glad this has yet to die. But um, how far away are the fish-men? They just walk up, do they double move, do they not charge? How far away (squares) is my character from the closest one, how close are the fishmen in that lead wedge to each other? Sorry to ask so many questions, but my character is 99% melee and is relatively slow.

Check the map.

Asbestos
2010-07-15, 01:35 AM
Check the map.

So the closest was 8 squares away before it advanced? If it is Beyond 5 I'll charge, if it is within 5 I will walk up mark, and smack it.

faith
2010-07-16, 10:49 PM
im here to, still waiting to see the effect of my blast. eddited for spoiler

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-17, 04:26 PM
im here to, still waiting to see the effect of my blast. eddited for spoiler

If you mean Thunder Bomb than I already posted the result.

Asbestos
2010-07-18, 12:01 AM
Wow, just noticed that the map WAS updated. Why didn't you say so (more clearly) Josha?

Andvari moves forward and eyes the nearest of the ichthyoid abominations, sending it a psionic challege it cannot ignore. Then, with a shout, he raises his axe and charges the beast as wisps of sulfurous smoke trail from his quilled beard.

[roll0]+15
Hit:
[roll1]+7.

Andavri moved forward 5 squares, then spent a minor action to use 'Battlemind's Demand' on the nearest Fishman and then charged the beastie to end his turn.

Edit: To speed things up... The nearest fishman is marked by Andvari, if it attacks + damages someone with an attack that does not target Andvari he will use 'Mind Spike' to deal equal force/physic damage in turn

faith
2010-07-19, 07:19 PM
If you mean Thunder Bomb than I already posted the result.

ahhh sry didn't see that, in that case next time visages turn comes around;Move behind ilikan and then casts pinning bolt on the lead Warrior fishman,
[roll0]vs reflex
potential damage [roll1] if it hits target is knocked prone and slowed.
also, sry bout the lack of fluff.

Ranger Mattos
2010-07-20, 04:29 PM
I'm going to be gone tomorrow till Monday.

Also, whose turn is it?

Asbestos
2010-07-20, 09:51 PM
I'm going to be gone tomorrow till Monday.

Also, whose turn is it?
The Fish Men

Ranger Mattos
2010-07-28, 09:04 PM
I'll be gone tomorrow til Sunday. In case anything happens.

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-18, 11:03 AM
Erm, I think this game died.

Asbestos
2010-08-18, 12:47 PM
Erm, I think this game died.
Well, when the DM goes AWOL that does tend to happen.