PDA

View Full Version : DMM Persist Cleric Gish Advice

One Step Two
2010-05-21, 03:36 AM
Hey there playgrounders, My DM declared an upcoming evil campaign, and I've been plotting. So short story is a Drow cleric, who with LA buyoff for the campaign level (15) gets to about 13th level.
Fighter 1/Cleric 6/Drow Paragon 3/Contemplative 1/Divine Oracle 2

Plans are to advance through contemplative to get uncanny dodge, now that I have Armoured Evasion

It hurts to take the D6 Hit Dice at later levels, and the loss of 2 caster levels may be less than optimal, but I like the Drow Paragon as my DM let me add the feat Highborn Drow for free.

I have enough turn attempts to maintain 5 persistent Buffs, including Divine power and Vigor. Smiting Spell Metamagic will be my delivery medium for real hurt.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Critical
2010-05-21, 03:47 AM
Ask your DM if you can use Lesser Drow from Player's Guide to Faerun? You'll lose some of the race benefits, however all the classes and feats listed would still be availible.

EDIT: Also, with 15th level WBL you can afford quite a lot of Nightsticks... :smallamused:

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-21, 03:50 AM
Nightsticks. 7500gp for +4 Turn Attempts per day is sick.

One Step Two
2010-05-21, 04:18 AM
LA Buyoff takes care of the +2, I expect to catch up in levels soon enough. As for nightsticks, already have them :smallwink: what I need are spells to presist, I found a nice one in Complete Divine called Divine Agility, +4 dex, the Reflex Save of a rogue of my level, and the Spring attack feat.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-21, 05:17 AM
Sheltered Vitality (level 4, Spell Compendium) The subject gains immunity to fatigue, exhaustion, and ability damage or ability drain (regardless of the source).

Spell Resistance, Mass (level 7, Spell Compendium) Situational.
Energy Immunity (level 6, Spell Compendium) Situational.

Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (level 5, Spell Compendium) Mass Haste.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-21, 05:26 AM
Note: Many DM's will throw books at you for Nightstick Stacking.

Especially when 20-30 turn attempts isn't that hard to get without it.

Granted, I prefer DMM extend at high levels. You get more uses. I also like DMM Quicken.

Gauntlet
2010-05-21, 05:54 AM
Get a Ring of Spell-Battle (MiC). Main reason being, you can use it to avoid getting Disjoined.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-21, 06:20 AM
Get a Ring of Spell-Battle (MiC). Main reason being, you can use it to avoid getting Disjoined.

Which is the reason I always disjunction from 65 feet away, lol.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-21, 07:16 AM
First of all, check out the Lolth-Touched template in MMIV. +6 Str, +6 Con, +4 Hide and Move Silently, and immunity to fear for a +1 LA. It's an acquired template, so you could start out Drow, completely buy off the +2 LA after nine class levels, gain Lolth-Touched, and then buy that off after three more class levels.

"Thou Shalt Not Lose Caster Levels!" Drow Paragon contributes nothing substantial to this character. Even with Highborn Drow, one extra daily use of Dancing Lights, Darkness, Faerie Fire, Detect Good, Detect Magic, and Levitate and the +30 ft. darkvision is not worth losing a level, you can take Daylight Adaptation to get completely rid of Light Blindness, and +2 Dex is negligible due to heavy armor. Similarly, the Fighter level is only holding the character back as well, it gives you a bonus feat and a few more weapon proficiencies but nothing significant, not worth the loss of spellcasting. You will be much better off going Cleric 6/ Divine Oracle 4/ Contemplative 2 starting out, having bought off both Drow and Lolth-Touched.

One Step Two
2010-05-21, 07:48 AM
First of all, check out the Lolth-Touched template in MMIV.....*snip*

Awesome advice, I will definetly check out the template. And yes, I am well aware of the first rule, I opted to lose a couple of caster levels for flavour because my group isnt completely full of optimisers. I don't feel the need to push the boundaries too much.

The plot engine behind the character is that she hiding amoung surface dwellers to fight and train with them and earn their trust before robbing them blind and sending them to the Underdark. Sort of like a long-term elite slave training program. It literally pays for itself. And magic items to boot. As far as anyone in the group knows (thanks to trickery domain giving Disguise as a class skill, and full body armour) they are a Male Human Fighter. Spellcasting will be hidden thanks to Still Spell, and Bracers of Arcane freedom.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-21, 12:29 PM
If you can get to 13th level you should be able to cast 7th level Cleric spells. If you want to be a gish Cleric, I think Holy Star (Player's Guide to Faerūn, page 104) is a terrific spell to persist (requires Initiate of Mystra feat). You'll be able to keep your AC with a +10 circumstance bonus using the Protection property, and on your turn be able to make a full attack with the Fire Bolt property: ranged touch attacks within 90', dealing 1d6/2 caster levels (max 10d6). That means you've got a never-expiring blast attack that you can use whenever you want. It's like a Warlock's eldritch blast, except better:

50% longer range
not subject to spell resistance
no ASF chance
you can full attack with it (whereas eldritch blast requires a standard action).
It's fire energy, so you might want to add Energy Substitution for some different flavor. After your full attack, switch back from Fire Bolt to Protection again; it's a free action to switch.

KingoftheTrees
2010-05-21, 06:31 PM
I have a random question about Nightsticks. Do they need to be held for them to give you the +4 turns? Or can they just be in say, a pocket or a backpack?

Optimystik
2010-05-21, 06:55 PM
I have a random question about Nightsticks. Do they need to be held for them to give you the +4 turns? Or can they just be in say, a pocket or a backpack?

Nightsticks are Rods, and therefore function as such.

jblackwood
2010-05-22, 10:34 AM
I am currently playing a 6 cloistered cleric/1 radiant servant of pelor, I am pulling DMM persist mass lesser vigor magic, but with only 13 turn attempts a day. With DM ruling only 1 night stick is viable, how do you more experienced gamers get all those turn attempts WITHOUT all those nightsticks?

Critical
2010-05-22, 10:36 AM
I am currently playing a 6 cloistered cleric/1 radiant servant of pelor, I am pulling DMM persist mass lesser vigor magic, but with only 13 turn attempts a day. With DM ruling only 1 night stick is viable, how do you more experienced gamers get all those turn attempts WITHOUT all those nightsticks?

Extra Turning feat.