PDA

View Full Version : Getting a better Fort save

SpikeFightwicky
2010-05-21, 07:05 AM
A character I've just created has a very low fort save (+3 at level 8 - Bard). Other than Great Fortitude, are there any other feats or available spells that can help it out (I know of the resistance spell, but I'm a while from getting it permanency'd).

Thurbane
2010-05-21, 07:28 AM
Stamina armor enhancement (MIC p.15) as well as Improved and Greater Stamina.

Critical
2010-05-21, 07:34 AM
Cloak of Resistance! :smallbiggrin:

Escheton
2010-05-21, 07:34 AM
just get a feat/classlvl that replaces it with a concentration check.
warblade or martial maneuver that is

SpikeFightwicky
2010-05-21, 07:40 AM
Forgot about the cloak of resistance! Never heard of the stamina enhancement. I'll have to check it out. Unfortunately, I don't have the spare class level dip/skill points for the maneuver, though I know there's a feat that lets me take a maneuver, and I can play around with my skill points to up my concentration. Thanks for the tips! Keep 'em coming if there's anything else.

Thurbane
2010-05-21, 07:49 AM
Some feats (most are very situational, or very specific reqs):

Celestial Heritage (PlH)
Cerulean Fortitude (MoI)
Cumbrous Fortitude (SS)
Divine Cleansing (CW)
Dumb Luck (CS)
Force of Will (EPH)
Gifted General (OA)
Resist Poison (PGtF)
Snake Blood (PGtF)
Strength of the Charger (OA)
Strong Soul (PGtF)
Survivor (PGtF)
Survivor's Luck (CS)
Unbelievable Luck (CS)
Vow of Abstinence (BoED)
Vow of Purity (BoED)
Warrior Shugenja (OA)

Prodan
2010-05-21, 07:59 AM
Ruin Delver's Fortune.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-21, 08:01 AM
Never heard of the stamina enhancement.
You put it on armor. It gives you a resistance bonus, the same as a Cloak, but only to Fort and cheaper. Magic Item Compendium

Unfortunately, I don't have the spare class level dip/skill points for the maneuver, though I know there's a feat that lets me take a maneuver, and I can play around with my skill points to up my concentration.
You don't have Concentration as a bard? Understandable, but perhaps slightly odd. You can get a Ring of the Diamond Mind - spend gold instead of feats for the maneuver.

SpikeFightwicky
2010-05-21, 08:02 AM
Those luck feats might actually be worth it. I was contemplating getting 'Healer's Luck' (the only healer in the party and my roles are typically terrible...) anyways, and Unbelievable luck gives 2 luck rolls and a floating +2 bonus to fort (it'll always be lowest...). Nifty!

EDIT: I have Melodic Casting (prereq for lyric thaumaturge), that lets me cast spells whilst I'm performing without breaking my song, and use Perform instead of concentration checks to cast defensively, so I pretty much ignored Concentration altogether.

Jeff240sx
2010-05-21, 08:15 AM
Those luck feats might actually be worth it. I was contemplating getting 'Healer's Luck' (the only healer in the party and my roles are typically terrible...) anyways, and Unbelievable luck gives 2 luck rolls and a floating +2 bonus to fort (it'll always be lowest...). Nifty!

EDIT: I have Melodic Casting (prereq for lyric thaumaturge), that lets me cast spells whilst I'm performing without breaking my song, and use Perform instead of concentration checks to cast defensively, so I pretty much ignored Concentration altogether.

... I wouldn't spend a feat for a save.
Dip a level of Fighter: +2 Fort, +1 BAB and *gain* an extra Feat.

Dip a level of Monk for +2 to all saves, and use the UA fighting style. Free Dodge, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, or Weapon Finesse.
You lose a BAB in that one, but gain WIS to AC if unarmored and Imp. Unarmed Strike - good for if you get captured and stripped.

Escheton
2010-05-21, 10:16 AM
if you are gonna dip, dip crusader or warblade

Optimystik
2010-05-21, 10:26 AM
Just retrain to Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) if you're that worried about it, they trade reflex for fort and keep most everything else.

El Dorado
2010-05-21, 10:37 AM
There's also the Hardy character trait (+1 Fortitude, -1 Reflex) and Passionate character trait (+1 Fortitude, -1 Will) from Unearthed Arcana.

Gorbash
2010-05-21, 11:40 AM
Cloak of Resistance! :smallbiggrin:

Obtain Familiar (Rat). Aside from obvious uses of a familiar, you get +2 on Fort saves!

Thurbane
2010-05-21, 05:58 PM
Obtain Familiar (Rat). Aside from obvious uses of a familiar, you get +2 on Fort saves!
Good pickup! :smallsmile:

if you are gonna dip, dip crusader or warblade
For a skill based character, a dip in Ranger might also be good. Or Barbarian, for fast movement.

Runestar
2010-05-21, 09:19 PM
There is the greater and superior resistance spells (spell compendium), which should provide bonuses greater than any cloak can muster at that lv. They also last all day, so see if you can pester the party caster to buff you with it. :smallsmile:

dextercorvia
2010-05-21, 09:48 PM
A dip in Mindbender would give you a +2, then use the feat on Mindsight instead.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-21, 10:16 PM
Ruin Delver's Fortune.

+1 to this. Charisma -> saves on demand is always good to have.

Gorbash
2010-05-21, 10:43 PM
Also, pumping Con is always a good idea, since it doesn't increase only your Fort. You can afford Amulet of Health +2 now, just upgrade it later on.

Also, later buy Admiral's Bicorne (a staple item for any bard) which gives +2 morale bonus on all saves to you and allies within 100 ft.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-05-22, 11:54 PM
Steadfast Determination from Player’s Handbook II doesn’t increase your Fort bonus, but it does eliminate automatic failure on a natural 1 for Fort saves. So your Fort save does become qualitively better if not quantitively.

It also lets you use your Con modifier instead of Wis on Will saves.

Thespianus
2010-05-23, 02:42 AM
Squeeze one level of Holy Monk into the build, if Dragon material is allowed (Dr310 p45, according to CrystalKeep).

One level of Monk would give you 3 good saves, Unarmed Strike, Flurry, Wisdom to AC (might suck for you), AND Aura of Courage(!), Smite Evil and Turn Undead

Aura of Courage is awesome for a Bard (especially since you don't have to sing to keep the effect going, leaving you free to inspire other things as well as a Bard), and Turn Undead can be used later on to fuel Divine Metamagic! :)

What's not to love? :)

(This is the first time I run into the Holy Monk, it seems pretty wicked for a one level dip)

EDIT: I'm guessing that the Crystal Keep entry might be flawed. A reasonable guess is that you gain these features on the same levels as the Paladin does, otherwise it just seems crazy. :)

Ossian
2010-05-23, 04:40 AM
If only core is allowed, a dip 2 into Paladin (I like the paladin of freedom variant) will give you the Pal 2 "+3" to fortitude saves (so your present +3 becomes a +6 at Bard 8/Paladin 2) and the Divine Grace, which is a bonus to ALL saves = to your charisma bonus, which as a bard I suppose is pretty high.

O.