PDA

View Full Version : Ranger, Sword of Arcane Order, and Seeker of the Misty Isles <3.5>

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 10:51 AM
Hey y'all! My first build on this forum, and I have a question:

My group in a FR campaign has a pretty balanced party, but needs a pseudohealer

I'm a Tallfellow Halfling (which is treated as both an elf and as a halfling for PrCs, Spells, Domains, ect.) who is considering headed to Seeker of the Misty Isles.

However, with the "goofy" prerequisites, Can a Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order qualify for Seeker of the Misty Isles around 5th/6th level?

true_shinken
2010-05-21, 11:27 AM
Be a Mystic Ranger. Seriously, be a Mystic Ranger.

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 11:31 AM
Be a Mystic Ranger. Seriously, be a Mystic Ranger.

but what about my companion or my Melee Proficiencies? I was gonna do TWF style

Critical
2010-05-21, 11:36 AM
but what about my companion or my Melee Proficiencies? I was gonna do TWF style
Animal Companion, pretty much, sucks. TWF does also, unless with various damage bonuses, like sneak attack.

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 11:38 AM
Animal Companion, pretty much, sucks. TWF does also, unless with various damage bonuses, like sneak attack.

I was aimed to do both ends of the tracks, Focusing on TWF and taking the archery feats on the side to make me not a one-trick pony. If anything, I'll take the Obtain Animal Companion feat

gbprime
2010-05-21, 11:52 AM
Two weapon fighting is just fine, awesome in fact if you like quarterstaves and have a cleric friend with Brambles and/or a Spell Storing item.

To hit the 2nd level spell requirement for Seeker, you'll need to be Ranger 8 or blow two Feats (one on Sanctum Spell, and one on a metamagic prerequisite). Personally I'd say wait until Ranger 8. Or if you don't mind the BAB hit, Ranger 6 and Ruathar 2. Ruathar (Races of the Wild) fits your theme and gives some decent bonuses including better vision, skill boosts, and extra will save (which you're otherwise not getting from anywhere).

But I concur... skip Animal Companion and take the Distracting Attack feature instead. (PHB2)

nedz
2010-05-21, 11:54 AM
To Qualify for Seeker ot Misty Isle
Mystic Ranger 5, Druid 5, Cleric(Travel Domain) 5, Spirit Shamen 5 .. or Ranger 8
There are multiclassing options which require 3 levels of the spell casting class and then 2 levels of Ranger. You cannot mix the two types of ranger.

The Cleric is a poor options since SofMI 1 gives you Travel Domain

Weapon options
Best to go for two handed fighting, with reach if you prefer, and take the Ranger Archery style.

TWF can work but THF is generally better.
Archery feats are all poor value.

true_shinken
2010-05-21, 11:57 AM
I say Mystic Ranger into Ruathar and then Seeker. That way you get proficiency with some martial weapons for TWF and some elf flavour.

gbprime
2010-05-21, 12:18 PM
You know... I had never heard of Mystic Ranger until this thread. HOW did I miss that one? Life just changed. :smallamused:

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 12:43 PM
I can only take 1 PrC (hate the DM), so Ruithar is out. However, the Mystic Ranger is a cool. Distracting Shot seems underpowered. Besides, my plan is to utilize combat and low-level spellcasting, carrying a Bone Bow and a pair of Scimitars to fight through an Orc and Goblin horde to save a Dwarven City

Escheton
2010-05-21, 12:47 PM
whirling dervish could be fun for that

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 12:50 PM
whirling dervish could be fun for that

But I want to use SotMI, because it matches the flavor. Granted, not optimal, but he's a Tallfellow Halfling who is a Noble in Elven Society

Greenish
2010-05-21, 12:56 PM
…a pair of Scimitars to fight through an Orc and Goblin horde to save a Dwarven City:smallamused:

I agree with taking Mystic Ranger, you can take TWF feats on your normal feats, get archery feats for free (if a bit later) and can take Animal Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) for your black panther.

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 01:00 PM
:smallamused:

I agree with taking Mystic Ranger, you can take TWF feats on your normal feats, get archery feats for free (if a bit later) and can take Animal Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) for your black panther.

okay! okay! I understand. and I was actually going with a dire boar for my companion

Greenish
2010-05-21, 01:06 PM
okay! okay! I understand. and I was actually going with a dire boar for my companionThen forget TWF and get a lance! DIRE BOAR CAVALRY, CHAAAAAARGE!

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 01:19 PM
Then forget TWF and get a lance! DIRE BOAR CAVALRY, CHAAAAAARGE!

Uh. No. Not proficient in Lance. Not burning a feat for that...

Greenish
2010-05-21, 01:21 PM
Uh. No. Not proficient in Lance. Not burning a feat for that...It's just -4. :smallwink:

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 01:23 PM
It's just -4. :smallwink:

Then I can't hit anything short of a wall. I'll stick with Scimmys (DM said Tallfellows get Elven Proficiencies)

Greenish
2010-05-21, 01:27 PM
Then I can't hit anything short of a wall. I'll stick with Scimmys (DM said Tallfellows get Elven Proficiencies)Charge is +2 to hit, so just -2 penalty. TWF is the same, and you don't do much damage on the rounds you have to move, unless you have pounce (which you should get).

I don't know about FR, but default elves don't get Scimitar proficiency.

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 01:42 PM
Charge is +2 to hit, so just -2 penalty. TWF is the same, and you don't do much damage on the rounds you have to move, unless you have pounce (which you should get).

I don't know about FR, but default elves don't get Scimitar proficiency.

DM ditched Rapier for Tallfellows for scimmys

true_shinken
2010-05-21, 02:37 PM
DM ditched Rapier for Tallfellows for scimmys
Scimitars are not light weapons, meaning they suck for TWF.

gbprime
2010-05-21, 02:46 PM
So you use a dagger in your off hand. No biggie.

Or skip the whole thing and use a quarterstaff. Brambles or Spikes, your choice. :smallamused:

The Glyphstone
2010-05-21, 02:50 PM
...You're a ranger, aren't you? Lances are martial weapons. Rangers are proficient in Martial weapons. Where's nonproficiency coming from?

gbprime
2010-05-21, 02:55 PM
...You're a ranger, aren't you? Lances are martial weapons. Rangers are proficient in Martial weapons. Where's nonproficiency coming from?

Mystic Ranger? They lose all non-ranged martial weapons.

true_shinken
2010-05-21, 02:59 PM
If one really wants to TWF with a Mystic Ranger... one could take EWP for the dragonsplit. 1d6, critical 19-20 or x4, your call and you can Power Attack with it.

gbprime
2010-05-21, 03:35 PM
I still say quarterstaff. No feat required, just add Brambles or Spikes. :smallbiggrin: And if your party doesn't have a divine caster that wants to bother, maces work great and come in light varieties.

Greenish
2010-05-21, 03:46 PM
If one really wants to TWF with a Mystic Ranger... one could take EWP for the dragonsplit. 1d6, critical 19-20 or x4, your call and you can Power Attack with it.You can PA with all double weapons.

true_shinken
2010-05-21, 04:03 PM
You can PA with all double weapons.
Yeah, I never said you couldn't.
Quarterstaves are easily sundered and deal low damage on criticals, though. I'd rather have a more resilient weapon.

gbprime
2010-05-21, 04:14 PM
Quarterstaves are easily sundered and deal low damage on criticals, though. I'd rather have a more resilient weapon.

As a DM, I'm not prone to sundering the PC's magical equipment. If yours is, that's an even better reason to not spend a feat on a specific kind of weapon.

Grab a weapon augment crystal of your choice, and throw a magic weapon or a spikes spell on whatever you have on you. sunder be darned.

Greenish
2010-05-21, 04:25 PM
Grab a weapon augment crystal of your choiceLike a crystal of adamant weaponry (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070209a).

Darrin
2010-05-21, 10:25 PM
Scimitars are not light weapons, meaning they suck for TWF.

Oversize TWF (CompAdv) can fix that, if you have a feat to spare. Otherwise, ask the DM if he'll allow the Feycraft template in DMGII to allow them to be considered light for TWF purposes.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-21, 10:28 PM
Mystic Ranger? They lose all non-ranged martial weapons.

Ah, good to know. I thought they just traded the animal companion for accelerated casting.

Coidzor
2010-05-22, 02:36 AM
Ah, good to know. I thought they just traded the animal companion for accelerated casting.

lose animal companion, lose melee martial weapon proficiencies, get combat style feats a level later, believe they get endurance a level later as well. 1 less favored enemy as well, and I think those are moved back a level too.

Crystal Keep has the write up for them, as well as the 0th and 5th level ranger spell lists. Probably the only spells of those two levels that were ever allotted to Rangers.

true_shinken
2010-05-22, 07:32 AM
Crystal Keep has the write up for them, as well as the 0th and 5th level ranger spell lists. Probably the only spells of those two levels that were ever allotted to Rangers.
Yes, and they pretty much suck. Of course that is no problem at all with Sword of Arcane Order...