PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Template: Big, Bad

Mongoose87
2010-05-21, 12:36 PM
The bullies of the animal kingdom, creatures with the "Big, Bad"template tend to be predators with a penchant for eat copious amounts of pork. They are generally larger than most other members of their species, and the only thing nastier than them is their breath.

Creating a "Big, Bad"
"Big, Bad" is an acquired template that can be added to any animal or magical beast.

Size and Type
The creature's type remains unchanged. The creature's size increases one step.

Hit Dice
Increase base creature’s racial HD by one die size, to a maximum of d12. Do not increase class HD.

Special Attacks
A "Big, Bad" creature gains a breath weapon that acts as the spell "Gusto f Wind," with the exception that, if used on a structure of poor constuction, the structure collapses. The save against this ability is Constitution-based.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Con +2

Environment
Same as either the base creature.

Challenge Rating
Same as the base creature + 1.

Alignment
Changes to Evil.

Level Adjustment
Same as base creature +1.

The Mentalist
2010-05-21, 01:15 PM
It may make more sense to have the breath be Hurricane or Tornado force winds, the rules for just seem better.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-24, 07:40 AM
The special abilities aren't really impressive enough to grant +1 LA and CR.

I'd add in an INT and CHA bonus - the Big Bad beasties are usually smart enough to be reasoaned with, and are charismatic enough to make their intentions clear.

I'd set the breath weapon as Gust of Wind, as you said (tornado and hurricane winds are too strong - seige engine missiles are blown off course!), but add in the ability to do a ranged Bull Rush within 25ft +5ft/2 HD.
You might want to limit the breath weapon to once every 1d4 rounds - or at least state a limit of some sort (once a round, once a day...)

Milskidasith
2010-05-24, 10:45 AM
Nobody else caught the reference? :smallconfused:

This is pretty clearly tongue in cheek.

Temotei
2010-05-24, 10:54 AM

I laughed a bit. :smallcool:

Then again, I got back from a go-karting trip seven hours ago, leaving me with next to no sleep. Hm. Interpret that as you will.

Mongoose87
2010-05-24, 11:04 AM

I was disappointed, myself.

The Mentalist
2010-05-24, 08:06 PM
I got the joke, it just wasn't that amusing.

Temotei
2010-05-24, 08:14 PM
I got the joke, it just wasn't that amusing.

That's true...you did seem to grasp it well enough, as someone who didn't would have just said something like "LA +1? Why?"

EDIT: Oops. Apparently, Altair said that.

But no, I'm betting he got it.

I'd add in an INT and CHA bonus - the Big Bad beasties are usually smart enough to be reasoaned with, and are charismatic enough to make their intentions clear.

That's the part that tells me he knows.