PDA

View Full Version : More 'fast' than 'furious'...

Admiral Squish
2010-05-21, 12:56 PM
So, another strange build idea to pitch out to the GITP forums.

To start, some campaign information. The game is gestalt, progressing the main class every level and the 'side' class halfway through each level. Starting at level three, standard WBL. The DM says it should be mostly urban adventuring.

The concept: Goliath freerunner. Basically, turning his mountain movement to it's best possible use.

The current build: Scout//Horse Totem Barbarian. Planning to go into Peregrine Runner once I get to five, which is why I went with horse totem.

What I still need: Gear. I'm trying to think of a weapon that would work with his concept, but I haven't got a clue. Maybe throwing weapons? Returning is out of my price range just yet, so I'm not sure how well that would work. I'm also trying to increase his speed however possible, so any tips on that would be appreciated.

This is all still fluid, so feel free to recommend any changes.

Greenish
2010-05-21, 01:03 PM
For urban campaign, you might want something small and concealable. How about Spinning Sword (Secrets of Sarlona)? Reach weapon, can be used to attack adjacent, can be concealed as a belt (+2 to sleight of hand checks to conceal). Trips and all.

nedz
2010-05-21, 02:30 PM
Sling - easily concealable, adequate range, cheap.
Unarmed combat - eminently concealable, no worse damage than other concealable weapons, free.

Greenish
2010-05-21, 02:33 PM
Unarmed combat - eminently concealable, no worse damage than other concealable weapons, free.Not free, needs a feat or dip, or you'll eat AoO every time you attack to deal nonlethal damage. Also more expensive to enhance.

AstralFire
2010-05-21, 02:42 PM
Not free, needs a feat or dip, or you'll eat AoO every time you attack to deal nonlethal damage. Also more expensive to enhance.

Gauntlets.

Fixed.

Admiral Squish
2010-05-21, 04:50 PM
Hmm, gauntlets might work. Would make sense too, to protect his hands from ledges and jagged edges. Sling would also work quite well, with concealability and such. But, unfortunately, a one-handed attack doesn't really capitalize on my strength. Gauntlet would be a nice backup, but I'd really like a two-handed primary weapon.

AmberVael
2010-05-21, 04:55 PM
How much freedom do you have with creating magic items? Because honestly, if you're looking for a two-handed weapon that works well with a freerunner/mountain climber concept, you're going to need a pretty bizarre weapon. I'm thinking Spiked Chain/grappling hook/endless rope monstrosity would be pretty cool.

true_shinken
2010-05-21, 04:55 PM
Hmm, gauntlets might work. Would make sense too, to protect his hands from ledges and jagged edges. Sling would also work quite well, with concealability and such. But, unfortunately, a one-handed attack doesn't really capitalize on my strength. Gauntlet would be a nice backup, but I'd really like a two-handed primary weapon.

Quarterstaff or club disguised as a walking stick or cane?

veovius
2010-05-21, 04:59 PM
How much freedom do you have with creating magic items? Because honestly, if you're looking for a two-handed weapon that works well with a freerunner/mountain climber concept, you're going to need a pretty bizarre weapon. I'm thinking Spiked Chain/grappling hook/endless rope monstrosity would be pretty cool.

Tentacle :D Climbing bonus?

Admiral Squish
2010-05-21, 05:32 PM

Hmmm... Slightly modified rod of ropes becomes a quarterstaff of ropes? Or club or whatnot?

Greenish
2010-05-21, 05:35 PM
Hmmm... Slightly modified rod of ropes becomes a quarterstaff of ropes? Or club or whatnot?Should work, many rods also act as weapons of different types.

Admiral Squish
2010-05-21, 08:00 PM
But the rope-rod is about 1300 outside by WBL, so I don't see it happening just yet. Temporary solutions, anyone?

aivanther
2010-05-21, 08:04 PM
I had a DM allow me once to use the extendable pole from Dungeonscape to be a telescoping quarterstaff.

Jarian
2010-05-21, 08:08 PM
A Kusari-Gama seems thematically appropriate, but a spiked chain would likely be better.

Aside from that, maybe a Notbora from Savage Species. Two-handed, double weapon. One end is a tripping hook, while the other holds a concealed blade.

PersonMan
2010-05-21, 08:27 PM
Greatsword concealed in a back compartment? Hilt/handle sticking out as a decorative "spike", matching another(maybe backup weapon)?

Demons_eye
2010-05-21, 08:30 PM
After you get to a good level you might just want a big weapon with the Hideaway enchantment.

Admiral Squish
2010-05-21, 08:37 PM
I don't REALLY care all that much about the concealability of it. I'm just looking for a weapon that would be easy to transport, possibly useful in all the running and jumping and climbing. One that wouldn't interfere with his movements.

Jarian
2010-05-21, 09:34 PM
Kusari-gama: Improvised grappling hook.

Notbora: Swinging staff.

It makes sense in my head. :smalltongue:

WeeFreeMen
2010-05-22, 02:39 AM
I dont know about weapons, however,

Boots, as you are a runner are probaly something to have (and good boots at that)

Anklet of translocation - swift action teleport 10' x5 per day, must have line of effect 1400gp
Bolt shirt - move action teleport 60' x1 per day must have line of effect 5,000gp
Boots of big stepping - standard action 60' x3 as greater teleport 6,000 gp
Boots of side stepping - swift action 5' x3 per day must have line of effect 6,000 gp
Boots of swift passage - move action 20' x5 per day must have line of effect 5000gp
Dimension stride boots - standard action 20' 1ch, 40' 3ch, 60' 5ch, five charges, must have line of effect 2000gp

Quicksilver Boots - swift action to move land speed x2 per day, not teleport sorta provokes AoO 3500gp
Chronocharm of Horizon walker - swift action 1/2 normal moment 1x per day, not teleport no AoO 500gp

Ok, so some of them ARENT boots, but they still fit in there. Movement as a scout is paramount. Enjoy ;]

Another thing that is important to scouting is Non-detection.
My favorite cloak for all my Free Runner Scout types is Cloak of Divination.
(+5 vs. Divination saves, turns you invisible if you fail it). I find it pretty useful, and more than willing to give it up for the normal Cloak of Resistance. The flavor fits ;]
Best of luck.

Edit: My vote for a Weapon would be a good sturdy Quarterstaff, It gives you 2 places to enchant (Warning, and such for + Initiative) AND you can use it to pole-vault. (As a DM, Id give you a +2 or something to jumps with it, but I thought It would be a good flavor for you)