PDA

View Full Version : Troll help (3.5)

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-05-21, 01:29 PM
In a monster campaign our party has just level 12, me being the Tank(ish) person, I chose 11 levels of the Troll class from Savage Species but now I am unsure what to choose to take next, I was thinking straight barbarian, but this probably isn't the best thing I could do. Could anyone help with what 9 levels to take next?

The Glyphstone
2010-05-21, 01:31 PM
Choose things that synergize. If you're the tank, look for ways to take advantage of your Large natural reach for control purposes. Knight is excellent for this 3 levels in Knight makes everything you can reach Difficult terrain. Crusader is even more excellent, if you can count monster Hit Dice towards your character level.

Alvrick
2010-05-21, 01:34 PM
what you want is something that enhances your survivability and toughness. if you can get something that gets you fire or acid resistance somehow, go for it. A troll character is the quintessential meat shield, so if you can't get resistances go for a class that is either crazy tough or one that limits enemy's movements. barbarian and knight are quite good for that, but if ToB is allowed a warblade or crusader is a good choice. just remember, when facing enemy spellcasters to take them down first. they'll generally be the only guys that can truly hurt you.

also, don't be afraid to get into combat. you can take a lightning bolt, several javelins, and a mountain landing on your head and as long as your party digs you out you'll be fine

Ferrin
2010-05-21, 01:42 PM
I think the Totemist is pretty nice, doesn't need any high mental scores and can gives you acid and fire resistance if necesary. Oh, and it uses natural attacks so it makes good use of your high strength.

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 01:48 PM
Go with Knight 3/Paladin 5/Purple Dragon Knight 5

Alvrick
2010-05-21, 01:49 PM
very true. Totemist is probably the best choice then, and it fits in with the "Savage" thing you have as a troll. incarnate also has some nifty resistance boosters, but it also has d6 HD instead of d8, and you want to remain standing as long as possible

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-05-21, 01:50 PM
Go with Knight 3/Paladin 5/Purple Dragon Knight 5

1: I need 9 levels that is 13 and 2: to be a paladin you need to be lawful good, do you really think there is a single lawful good troll in the world

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 02:01 PM
1: I need 9 levels that is 13 and 2: to be a paladin you need to be lawful good, do you really think there is a single lawful good troll in the world

Then lessen the PDK by whatever you need. and you Don't have to be LG, just adjust the PrC to match the alignment (ie: Holy Liberator for Paladin of Freedom, Blackguard for Paladin of Tyranny, and Ronin for Paladin of Slaughter)

Ferrin
2010-05-21, 02:02 PM
Oh, if you're going to be a totemist I'd advise you to take a few incarnum feats that add essentia. Take Double Chakra: Totem at 20th level(You get your feat at that level because of your LA, works out pretty well tbh!)

I wouldn't go with the paladin route, you'd need a pretty high charisma for that, trolls get a -4 penalty and you probably didn't plan for it.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-21, 02:05 PM

Even Always Evil have 1% exceptions...if there can be a Succubus Paladin, there can be a Troll paladin.

On the other hand, it's probably a bad route to follow because you likely dumped Charisma.

Really, if you want to be a tank, the first step is to ask your DM if the Tome of Battle is an approved source. This will grossly affect what advice we can give you.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-05-21, 02:09 PM
Really, if you want to be a tank, the first step is to ask your DM if the Tome of Battle is an approved source. This will grossly affect what advice we can give you.

:smallfrown: no Tome of Battle and no Psionics(sp?). He thinks they're broken.

Machiavellian
2010-05-21, 02:12 PM
For the paly route I suggested, take Serenity.

Heck, a Troll Monk would be a riot to see...

Greenish
:smallfrown: no Tome of Battle and no Psionics(sp?). He thinks they're broken.How about Magic of Incarnum? If meldshapers aren't banned, I'd like to join the people recommending totemist.

Yorrin
with cheese: Barb 1/Dungeoncrasher 6/War Hulk 2, it's one of my new favorite combinations for high-str large characters. When you've got ammo to hurl- use Hulking Hurler to break the game. When you don't- use Dungeoncrasher to still deal some good damage. The barbarian level is of course for Pounce.

w/o cheese: Barb 1/Dungeoncrasher 6/Knight 2, no hulking hurler means you won't be throwing planets, but your knight levels take advantage of your reach.
I'm an idiot, you can't mix barbarian and knight... so go with either Barb 1/Dungeoncrasher 8/Ranger 1 (FE: Arcanists), Dungeoncrasher 6/Knight 3, or straight Knight 9...

Ferrin
2010-05-21, 02:18 PM
For the paly route I suggested, take Serenity.

Heck, a Troll Monk would be a riot to see...

Trolls also get a -2 penalty to wisdom.

Barb1/Dungeoncrasher6/War Hulk2 seems like it can be a lot of fun, nothing like pummeling your enemies against the wall.

I'd still take the totemist though, but it kind of depends on your character so far as well, which feats you took, your trolls personality etc.

nedz
2010-05-21, 02:23 PM
You could consider a caster.
I don't know what your mental stats are like, so these may not be possible.

A few levels of Cleric, Wizard or even Sorceror would get you various buffs and Resistance spells.

Ferrin
2010-05-21, 02:37 PM
You could consider a caster.
I don't know what your mental stats are like, so these may not be possible.

A few levels of Cleric, Wizard or even Sorceror would get you various buffs and Resistance spells.

trolls get a -4 penalty to inteligence and charisma and a -2 penalty to wisdom. He also has 11 non-caster levels. If he should play any caster it's the ur-priest, it being wisdom based and has 9th level spells in 9 levels. But the pre-reqs are impossible for him without readjusting his skills and feats with DM permission.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-21, 05:20 PM
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/Takorax/trollface.jpg

You called?

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-21, 06:02 PM
:smallfrown: no Tome of Battle and no Psionics(sp?). He thinks they're broken.

Reroll, play a batman wizard, mention what you'd be doing if you were a ToB class instead.

obnoxious
sig

Thurbane
2010-05-21, 06:19 PM
Binder 4/Knight of the Sacred Seal 5? You'll only lose 1 BAB, and you can bind two vestiges (up to 5th level using the Improved Binding feat as your bonus feat). There's some really nice combat based vestiges (Paimon, Savnok, Andras) you could bind, and it would add a lot of versatility to your character.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-21, 06:55 PM
How About if you ask your DM to use this

Troll
http://garrafalegion.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/trolldyd.jpg
[spoiler]
HD:d8
{TABLE]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Feature
1 | +0 | +2|+0 |+0|Troll body, Str+1, Con+1
2| +1| +3|+0 |+0 | Regeneration, Str+1, Con+1
3| +2| +3|+1| +1| Scent, Str+1, Con+1
4| +3| +4| +1|+1 | Rend, Str+1, Con+1
5| +3| +4| +1| +1| Growth , Str+1, Con+1

[/TABLE]
Skills: 4+int modifier per level, quadruple at first level. Class skills spot, listen, climb, jump, swim, knowledge(nature, geography, war), handle animal, intimidate, ride, tumble.

Proefeciencies: all simple and martial weapons and his own natural weapons.

Features:
Troll body: the troll loses all other racial bonuses, and gains giant traits, a base speed of 30 feet, two claw attacks and one bite attack dealing 1d4 damage each. He also gains a natural armor bonus equal to his own Con modifier.

Ability score increase:a troll gains +1 Str and +1 Con for each level in this class.

Regeneration: Equal to half his HD. Fire and acid deal normal damage to a troll. If a troll loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Scent: a troll gains the scent extraordinary ability.

Rend:If a troll hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an
additional 2d6+1,5 Str modifier points of damage.

Growth:The troll grows to large size.His AC, bonus to hit, base damage, grapple and skills change acordingly, but he doesn't get any ability score bonus or penalties.

From this awesome thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7928088#post7928088)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-22, 01:42 AM
Wolf Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) 2/ Fighter 2+, use the Lion spiritual totem ACF from Complete Champion, the Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) rage variant, and the Dungeoncrasher ACF from Dungeonscape, take Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) and work on getting Knockback (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Knockback).

IonDragon
2010-05-22, 02:56 AM
If you can find some way to stack an Undead template on there instead of leveling up, then congratulations! You're immune to damage. Trolls treat all damage as nonleathal, and undead are immune to nonlethal damage.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-22, 03:51 AM
If you can find some way to stack an Undead template on there instead of leveling up, then congratulations! You're immune to damage. Trolls treat all damage as nonleathal, and undead are immune to nonlethal damage.

You automatically lose Regeneration if you don't have a Constitution score. Plus, becoming immune to nonlethal damage makes all damage automatically bypass your Regeneration, and even damage that would normally have been nonlethal is instead treated as lethal.

The best cheese would be to get resistance/immunity to fire and acid, and take Diehard assuming the Frenzied Berserker class implies that it allows you to remain conscious when you would otherwise be knocked out by nonlethal damage (Deathless Frenzy, but Frenzy causes nonlethal damage per round, 0 or lower HP with just 1 nonlethal damage and you're unconscious, falling unconscious causes Frenzy to end and you die so Deathless Frenzy does absolutely nothing, but you get Diehard as a bonus feat).

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-22, 06:14 AM
Plus, becoming immune to nonlethal damage makes all damage automatically bypass your Regeneration, and even damage that would normally have been nonlethal is instead treated as lethal.

Where did you get this idea?? :smallconfused:

Escheton
2010-05-22, 06:48 AM
Whats your current bab and skillselection?
You can probably hit a prestige now or after 1 lvl for skillpoints.
So that info matters.

and on that note, 2 lvls in rogue gets you good skillpoints, not x4 but still good ,regardless of int. And gives you the get outta fireballs free card, and +3 reflex

Ferrin
2010-05-22, 07:03 AM
Whats your current bab and skillselection?
You can probably hit a prestige now or after 1 lvl for skillpoints.
So that info matters.

and on that note, 2 lvls in rogue gets you good skillpoints, not x4 but still good ,regardless of int. And gives you the get outta fireballs free card, and +3 reflex

+1 on the rogue, if you want to enter a PRC it's great. Ask your DM if he uses partial BAB, and if he'd allow the feat rogue variant from Unearthed Arcana. It makes 2 levels in fighter look bad.

Keld Denar
2010-05-22, 10:36 AM
A little bit of rogue would be helpful. That would open up Craven (+HD to damage when Sneak Attacking, -2 saves vs fear) and Staggering Strike (when you SA someone, they roll a fort save vs your damage or be staggered (effectively reduced to a single standard action) for 1 round). The former allows you a massive source of bonus damage so long as you qualify for your one piddly SA die, and the other is great action denial for foes with multiple attacks per round. Its about as close as your character will get to casting Slow on a target or two every round you qualify for SA.

Other than that, the Totemist idea is great. Sphinx Claws bound to hands gives you pounce with natural weapons and some bonus damage. Girallon Claws bound to arms gives you Rend...again. Nothing says you can't gain Rend twice. Phoenix Belt gives you fire resistance equal to 5x the amount of Essentia you have in it, and if you bind it to your Totem, the essentia capacity goes up by 1 (which means your available FR goes up by 5) AND you are a troll on fire. Seriously, I'd be afraid of a flaming troll. It would also give you complete immunity to ninjas.

If that fails, the Dungeoncrasher idea is pretty decent. You are already large, and thus qualify for Knockback (Races of Stone), so long as you have Power Attack and Improved Bullrush already.