PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Half-Ogre Build

Alvrick
2010-05-21, 01:46 PM
alright, I'm going to be playing a new campaign soon, and I had an excellent idea for a character (the fluff, anyway). He's a half-ogre, and obviously I want him to be a warrior type character, but I can't decide on a build or even a starting class, as I'm not an optimizer. The battle cleric, however, is an optimizer, and I want to be able to keep up with him in combat. We're starting at level 3 (so I have 1 class level) but I'd like to see your thoughts for a build. The only issue is that ToB, ToM, and Incarnum are disallowed, as none of us have the first two, and despite my having incarnum he just doesn't understand it

EDIT: Incarnum has been allowed!

Ferrin
2010-05-21, 01:54 PM
You could give him the Primordial Giant template from Secrets of Xen'drik(Eberron specific book) Then play a Duskblade! Get Knowledge Devotion feat and 4-6 knowledge skills(Arcana, Nature, Religion, Planes, Local, Dungeoneering). Nice change from the dumb brute archetype while still doing it's job.

Try getting your DM to allow you to use the Savages Species one, it's only a +1 LA.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-21, 02:08 PM
Well, Half-Ogre is large. I'd go with Psychic Warrior, Expand the heck out of yourself, and be a Spiked-Chain/Polearm wielding, tripping/Stand Stilling, walking battlefield control monstrosity.

goken04
2010-05-21, 02:08 PM
I 2nd Duskblade, if you can swing the high INT.

Ferrin
2010-05-21, 02:09 PM
I 2nd Duskblade, if you can swing the high INT.

That's what the Primordial Giant template is for.

Alvrick
2010-05-21, 02:22 PM
I just asked my DM about the primordial giant, and he's saying no, as this isn't eberron I'm playing in. it's a homebrew world. didn't really expect anything else - he also said no to a warforged one of the other players wanted. so, duskblade's out

Ferrin
2010-05-21, 02:25 PM
Ah to bad, was a nice concept too. But that means I have to think of something else, no? You want a character that can play like a brute while not necesarily being one, right? There's the Psychic Warrior, Totemist, Incarnate, Dungeoncrasher Fighter + PRC X etc. Can you give some more info on the setting and about what books are allowed?

Incarnum is quite easy to understand really, just tell him it's like prepping spells at the start of a day, then explain the essentia capacity thing like filling cups of water.

Alvrick
2010-05-21, 02:38 PM
that... is a very simple way to put incarnum. i'll see if he get's that. the whole system is more akin to the magic item system than a spellcasting system anyway, and I think that might be where he's getting the confusion.

essentially every book out there is free game, as long as it's not a setting bound one, such as secrets of Xen'drik, or players guide to Faerun

Alvrick
2010-05-21, 02:51 PM
alright, looks like he understands incarnum a bit better, as he's willing to allow it now and get the real "Hang" of it on the way. I suppose I'll be helping him with that.

Ferrin
2010-05-21, 02:54 PM
Let's see... Psychic Warrior is a good choice since you can get up to gargantuan size with Expansion, good to grapple with, or just deal damage with natural weapons, your size works pretty well there. Vigor also helps shore up some health problems if you have time to buff. Since you're starting with only 1 HD(or 2 if you can get it past him to allow Half-Ogre for a +1 LA)

Druid with Shapeshifter ACF from PH2? Gets you some usage from your large size and stat bonuses and you have full casting. Normal wild shape is better, but... I don't like it myself because of the extra bookkeeping.

Oh, great! Glad I was at least a little bit of help. :smallbiggrin:

Alvrick
2010-05-21, 02:59 PM
Hmm. I think I'll go with the psychic warrior, as the expansion abuse sounds nifty awesome. spiked chains FTW!

thank you everybody who helped out. particularly you, Ferrin.

Ferrin
2010-05-21, 03:02 PM
Hmm. I think I'll go with the psychic warrior, as the expansion abuse sounds nifty awesome. spiked chains FTW!

thank you everybody who helped out. particularly you, Ferrin.

Glad to help! You can take Expanded Knowledge: Share Pain later on to share vigor and that with your Psicrystal for extra survivability. Good luck on your rolls!

Thurbane
2010-05-21, 06:27 PM
How about Fighter 6 (Dungeoncrasher)/Barbarian X? Use your Fighter levels to grab Weapon Specialization, and then Weapon Mastery later on. Go down the Leap Attack/Shock trooper path. Maybe even into Frenzied Berserker - but your party will hate you! :smallbiggrin:

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-21, 08:54 PM
I've always wanted to play a Half-Ogre Monk with a Rope-Dart (Monk Exotic Reach Weapon from Dragon Magazine) and focus on battle-field control. Of course, adding Tashalantora & Psychic Warrior just makes it more fun. :D

For background, she'd be a temple guard type... sent out as the guardian for the Cleric.