PDA

View Full Version : Transmutation's Opposite School?

Zach J.
2010-05-21, 03:50 PM
I'm wanting my next character to be a Ranger, Transmuter who eventually prestiges into Eldritch Knight and then Archmage. I was going to make Necromancy one of his banned schools, but I wasn't sure about the other. I was thinking I might just make it the thematic opposite of Trasmutation unless anyone had a better idea. Could someone tell me what the opposite of the Trasmutation school is?

Edit: I don't have much experience playing wizards so I'm open to any suggestions about that as well. Just keep in mind that I'd like to keep the character Core-only and that I'm pretty attached to eldritch knight as well.

Reynard
2010-05-21, 03:52 PM
Conjuration?

Transmutation creates things out of other things, conjuration creates/summons them out of nowhere/other planes.

Zach J.
2010-05-21, 03:56 PM
Hmm, makes sense to me. I've got to get Spell Focus in two schools of magic as well. I was going to make one Transmutation both because I want the character to be Transmuter and for when I eventually get spells like Baleful Polymorph and Disintegrate. I was thinking Illusion for the second?

Ravens_cry
2010-05-21, 03:56 PM
Abjuration? One changes things, one struggles to keep them the same?
Evocation? One is blasts of chaotic energy, the other is fine tuned manipulation?

Optimystik
2010-05-21, 03:57 PM
If you go by 3e, Transmutation's opposing schools were Conjuration and Evocation. (i.e. the schools that if you banned one of those, you wouldn't have to ban another.)

Thematically, you can look at it a couple of ways:

1) Transmutation involves changing things, Abjuration involves restoring them to their fundamental state - therefore, Abjuration.

2) Transmutation involves real change, Illusion just involves the appearance of change - therefore, Illusion.

3) Transmutation involves altering the wizard (or the enemy) to overcome challenges himself, while Conjuration involves bringing in outside help - therefore, Conjuration.

It's all in how you look at it really.

Mewtarthio
2010-05-21, 03:59 PM
Enchantment. One school changes physical properties, the other changes mental ones.

Zach J.
2010-05-21, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've decided to ban Evocation and Necromancy. The character is an elf and CG so I decided he didn't want much to do with the often evil energies involved in Necromancy and although he starts out as a ranger, once he becomes a wizard, he won't see the need for the bang and flash associated with Evocation feeling that magic should be a tad more subtle. I'm going to focus in Transmutation and Conjuration. These schools seem to have the most spells I'll be using and since this is only going to be a three person party I figure being able to buff and summon wouldn't hurt.

For my first level of wizard I was thinking of choosing the following spells:

1: Color Spray, Enlarge Person, Grease, Magic Weapon and Summon Monster 1
0: All barring Evocation/Necromancy

How's that look?