PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Marathon: Group A

Psionic Dog
2010-05-21, 06:20 PM
Zombie Marathon: Group A

Danger: Do not feed the Zombies a small sign posted in front of the portal solemnly reads. There the the local earl and county mayor shake each hand and hand you the "Rod of Closure" as they call it. After a refreshingly short speech is given ("Thank you for your help. There's a 30,000 gp bonus for the group if you succeed. Don't get eaten.") you step through the portal.

On the far side you find a sparkling cavern with a faint hint of a glow from illumines fungi scattered across the cavern roof and walls. Pretty as it is, those of you who can't see by starlight (low light vision/dark vision) can't see much beyond your own light sources. In the dimmer areas cave mushrooms grow, and in the brighter patches moss and ferns have taken root. As caves go this one isn't so bad... or wouldn't be if it weren't for the the steady drip of water drumming out the time until undead horrors emerge from the unearthly mists.

The Juicy Details:
On days 1-5 the PC's face CR 7 attacks generated by combining three CR 4 groupings, with one attack in every second wave being CR 8 and made of two CR 5 groupings and a CR 4 group.

On days 6-10 the PC's face CR 8 attacks generated by combining three CR 5 groupings, with one attack in every second wave being CR 9 and made of 2 CR 5 groups and 3 CR 4 groups.

The CR 5 groups will remain a surprise to add dramatic tension to your early mini-boss encounters, but below is the CR 4 table for your planing convenience.

{table]#|CR 4 Groupings
1|1x Huge Fiendish Viper
2| 4x Spider Swarms
3| 12x Dire Rats
4| 1x Vampire Spawn
5| 1x L2 Kobold Sourcer Ghost*
6| 4x Ghouls
7| 1x Minotaur Zombie
8| 4x Troglodyte Zombies
9| 8x Human Commoner Zombies
10| 2x Owlbear Skeletons
11| 4x Wolf Skeletons
12| 12x Human Skeletons[/table]

*L2 Kobold Ghost Sourcer:
HP 18 AC: 17
[(6), 15, - , 12, 8, 19]
Always Manifested, Corrupting Gaze (DC 15 Fort), Frightful Moan (DC 15 Will)
Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Ray of Frost, Daze, Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance

The Map:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/ZombieBattleField.png
Each square is 10x10 ft.

The Obsidian Road:
Somehow they forgot to mention this feature: A 12 ft wide fussed obsidian once smooth road leading from the portal out into the black mists.

Vegetation:
Nothing grows on the road, but everywhere else has a 50% chance of having cave mushrooms in dimmer areas or cave moss and ferns if brighter areas. No where is the vegetation thick enough to provide anything bigger than a mouse with concealment.

The Black Mists:
The fuzzy purple bar on the left. The mooks appear here.

The Pond:
Sky-blue = shallow water.
Dark-teal = deep water. The pool is 9 ft deep at the deepest point.

The Berm:
15 ft tall with a 10ft wide flat top and 10ft wide slopes. Once the berm may have been a slippery sandy-shale, but with time the gravel as fussed. DC 10 climb check required to scale, except at the stairs (C-17)

The Grand Portal:
Located at far right. If the portal opens and a mook walks through rocks fall and everyone dies.

The Pedestal: (H-27)
4 ft tall with steps on the western side. From here the Rod of Sealing can close the portal for 1 hour. Multiple uses over lap, so the villagers suggest you renew he seal every half hour to be safe.

Tower blueprints
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Tower.png The tower is actually only 35 ft wide, although it is the full promised 25 ft tall. The tower map is on a 5x5 ft square scale.

Doors are marked by wide rectangles.

Arrows slits are marked by narrow solid-dark rectangles. These arrow slits have been widened to allow for slings at the cost of only a +6 AC cover bonus to the defender. The arrow slits also come with 1/2" thick shutters that can be closed over them.

The Front Door:
These double doors are together 10ft wide and 12 ft tall. The front door is built from 2.5" thick oak, and has 25 HP with a Hardness 5 when the double backing bars are set it has a DC 23 to break. The door is flush with the outer walls so that attackers will not have a doorway to take cover within.

1st Floor (on left)
The ground floor has a 15 ft ceiling (less rafters) to accommodate large sized creatures. The walls are 3ft thick masonry with no windows on the ground floor, but there are 8 tiny barred vent for ventilation near the ceiling with wire mesh to prevent even a rat from slipping through. Vents are marked by the pale small rectangles.

1: Vestibule
At least, that's what it once was. Some paranoid renovator in centuries past added three arrow slits pointed at the door to make this room an extra line of defense.

2: Stables.
A place for mounts to sleep, and either a carriage or a large guest to sleep. The room contains two ruff stalls and two stale bales of hay.

3: Storage room.
Also contains stairs leading upwards. Someone left a short bow, 40 arrows, 40 torches, a flint-steel, and 5 days of firewood here.

The 2nd Floor (on right)
The second floor outer walls are thinner (a foot thick) and contain 11 arrow-slits in the place of windows.

4: Kitchen.
This corner room has a small wood-stove, table, a small spice rack, and other basic equipment to feed 6-12 men.

5: Common Room
This room contains a pair of spindle chairs and a ladder bolted to the wall leading up to a trapdoor in the roof. A continual flame keeps this room perpetually lit.

6: Office
This room contains a simple desk, a modest chair, and a book shelf. All empty except for the odd cobweb.

7: Officer Bedroom
This room contains a simple tapestry, a small dresser, and a pair of bunked beds (no bedding) for the tower commander(s).

8: Armory
Nothing remains except for a weapon rack.

9: Barracks
Living quarters for the common soldier this has 3 pairs of bunked beds (no bedding), a broken cabinet, and a bucket.

The Roof:
The flat-topped roof is 35ft to a side and surrounded by a low wall (2.5 ft tall, 1 ft thick masonry) and is accessed by a trap door with ladder. There is also a noted hemp rope coiled neatly in a corner with on end attached to an iron bracket in the roof.

Interior walls and flooring are 6" thick masonry, and interior doors are 1.5" thick wood with simple locks.

Doors: Hardness 5:
Front: 25 hp, 23 Break DC
Interior/Trapdoor: 15 hp, 18 Break DC
Shutters: 5 hp, 15 break DC.

Walls: hardness 8:
Ground Floor outer: 360 hp, DC 40 break
2nd floor outer: 120 hp, DC 30 break
Interior/Floors: 90 hp, DC 25 break

Current Time: Day 1, 00:11
Party Status:
All healthy and rested.

Jarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8630540&postcount=64)
Eurus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8537696&postcount=24)
NM020110 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8739334&postcount=3)

No expendables used.

Latest Map (As of Round 1, Attack 3 of Wave 2)
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/ZombieBattleFieldA7.png

FourDeeSpace
2010-05-22, 03:02 PM
If anyone has any ideas now that we have a map, throw 'em out there. My first thoughts are to build a funnel for the melee forces, and we need to try to keep the first line of defense as close to the portal as feasible, to buffer the our ranged threats and quickly assault theirs. I'm thinking, high magical walls, if available, can be put up on rows on N and L next to the road to act as a funnel forcing the undead onto the road or to the north of it (and rows K and O so they can't go around, if we have the spells, but 48 hours is alot of prep time and spell slots). Two effective melee combatants can hold that line for a while. In between a couple of walls, it should be fairly simply business to find some way to give them the high ground for a slight bonus as well. Edit: I just realized that there was some talk of a permanent enlarge person effect on the chain-fighter? That could allow one person to hold the line, for when someone needs to rest, or if the other melee-er is needed elsewhere. If we still have a couple of walls after all of that, a couple of walls in column 18 with a 5 or 10ft gap in between would make a nice chokepoint for the fall-back position.

Part B of that plan is to make the rest of the terrain north of the road a ranged weapons kill zone, altering the terrain to make movement as slow as possible, and setting a wall of fire up (which can be maintained from the tower firing slots with minimal exposure) in front of the berm in column 13 to further discourage that path. After seeing the map, I think 3 adepts (sharing a sling) and my ranger will be sniping from atop the berm, and one adept with be in charge of healing support for the melee combatants in the funnel.

Question: With 48 hours prep time, assuming an arcane caster come in with full spells, he would get 2 castings, and still be able to start the festivities with full spells? Or will the arcane casters be allows to cast and sleep and cast and sleep and get more rounds of spells out? Now that I read the right section, they don't even need to sleep, just rest for 8 hours, then study for 1, so they could recharge 5 times unless we're being limited. Divine casters, of course, are hard-coded to 1 set of spells a day unfortunately, no matter how you slice it, since they have to pray at a specific time.

Edit (if one of my team mates has issue with this digging they can veto it for now, or the GM has a problem with the logistics and skills involved let me know :smallsmile:) : My minions, who despite being clones look like the Left 4 Dead crew, curse their lack of assault weaponry and start placing everburning torches at the intersection of: D/E 4/5 +++ K/L 4/5 +++ D/E 8/9 +++ K/L 8/9 for now. Then they'll get their digging tools and dig down some in column 13, rows A through E, to make it a 20 foot slope counting the berm, and using the dirt dug up to raise row 12 in the same columnes. They will then dig in 11 and use the dirt to raise row 10, and dig row 9, thus creating a series of slopes to slow movement and possibly trip people up. If also possible, I'd like to dig small holes around the terrain to possibly trip the mindlessly charging undead (think of football players running through tires, I'm trying to make them do that). The digging of rows next to the pond should at least pull a little water into the first rows dug, making the terrain a little more muddy, if not more flooded, I'm not sure of the effect of this.

Eurus
2010-05-23, 02:47 PM
I don't have any issues with that. There's not a lot that I can personally do besides station my minions in the tower and man whatever gap we try to funnel them into.

Psionic Dog
2010-05-24, 07:35 PM
12 hours slowly pass by in the humid depths of the cave marked only by the clink of tools, arguing of voices, and that maddening drip of water. Drip... drip... drip... drip...

For the first 8 hours or so four kobolds under the direction of Shanks gather up whatever buckets and loose boards they can find in the tower and set to work digging. At the same time Moustaffa laid out everburning torches to create a wall of light, but for now all involved rest and in the ever clearer stillness the water continues to drop drip... drip... drip... drip... each drop crying out "They Come"... "They Come"...

----------------------------------

36 hours until the undead uprising.

If you wish to add additional actions or modify previously listed plans now is your final chance: Tomorrow I'll post the conclusion to the defense preparations, at which point the defenders will check in, announce prepared spells and locations, and any very final actions they wish to take and when before the first wave arrives 2d12 minutes later.

Perpetration Completed to Date:
4 everburning torches have been scattered.

The kobolds have dug a 5ft wide 2.5ft deep 20ft long trench (A-B).
The berm from A-B has been raised a foot

Basie mining check: +7
Improvised tools: -2 (None of them appear to have actually bought digging tools)
I'm assuming the kobolds work in pairs (one digs, the other dumps, swapping to give the other breaks) +2 aid other
Taking 10 this gives (2x) 17s for a total of 2- 5ft cubes excavated.

Psionic Dog
2010-05-26, 05:07 PM
Time passes in the humid air. The kobold under Shanks manage to work in two more days of digging and Blizz manages to get three castings of Wall of Stone in as well to connect the tower to the cavern wall.

Then the zombies come. At the moment all you hear are echos - impossible to judge the exact distance - but it is clear that the undead rising will begin soon. You all have a few final minutes to prepare.

-------------------------------------------------------
Please declare starting location and what and when what preparations, if any you wish to make before the zombies arrive. If your preparations would be cast in 10 minutes but the zombies arrive in 5 then those preparations never happen.

Zombies arrive in 2d12 minutes.

Preparations Complete:
4 everburning torches have been scattered.

The kobolds have dug a 5ft wide 3.5ft deep 40ft long trench (A-D).
The berm from A-D has been raised 1.5 ft.

A stone wall has been called into existence connecting the tower to the cavern wall in the center of Column 20. Three castings gives a wall 9x3x5x5 sqft 2" thick. Cast for double thickness across the 35ft gap makes this wall 10ft tall and 4" thick for Hard 8, DC 28 break, 60 hp/section.

Eurus
2010-05-26, 09:04 PM
Starting positions: Knight in K 16. Cohort in G 14. Minions in I/J/K 19.

Cohort will use Fell Flight and Entropic Warding invocations, recasting both once a minute. Minion #1 will draw and load its sling. Knight will break out the spiked chain and get ready to mulch some zombies.

Psionic Dog
2010-05-27, 06:10 PM
[roll0] minutes later...

ZOMBIES!!

Those with low-light vision sound the alarm first as 20 undead come lurching out of the mists in your direction. Sixteen of the creatures appear to have once been human, but are now gangrene green. They make slow forward lurching progress toward you as if played by invisible strings. Those are zombies. They are followed by four ghouls who are demonstrating their improved intelligence by shuffling behind the zombies, using the shambling horrors as cover as they lick there lips and give a war-cry: BRAINS!!

--------------------------------------------
See Spoiler.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldA1.png

Welcome to Zombie Marathon Combat. Hopefully the game will speed up from here on out, so hang on for the ride. :smallcool:

The map above shows the 18 defenders, the 20 attacking undead, and current illumination levels. I apologize for the poor labeling on units: I'll be working to improve that, although I may have to switch to colored dots and a map key.

If the defenders wish to declare themselves holding lit torches they found in the tower or brought I'll permit that this time.

Bright Yellow Ciricles: Brightly lit to those with normal vision.
Pail yellow circles: brightly lit to those with low-light vision, shadowy to those with normal.
Everywhere Else: Pitch Black to those without low-light, shadowy to those with low light vision.

There is a 20% miss chance when attacking something in shadowy illumination relative to you.

Anyone with darkvision also has that functioning normally.

Everyone has 24 hour to post. After that time your team mates may post actions for your characters. Either Light_Hero or I will update the combat once we have actions fro every non-sleeper. If 48 hours pass we will declare sub-optimal actions any character without an action to keep the game moving.

Those who haven't posted a location are starting in the second floor of the tower.

Eurus
2010-05-27, 06:31 PM
Suddenly realizing that he's standing in pitch darkness, Sir Lawrence quickly moves to the lower left corner of M-14, pulls out an everburning torch, and drops it at his feet. Mukmuk, meanwhile, calmly takes flight to the lower right corner of G-11 (without losing altitude, so now 15 feet above the water) and cracks off a sizzling bolt of energy at one of the zombies, hoping to thin the ranks. The minions hold tight, not wanting to waste ammo at this range.

(Mukmuk will target the zombie at the top of L-3 with an Eldritch Spear.)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Eurus
2010-05-28, 07:23 PM
Alright, I feel pretty safe in saying that (unless they post) everyone's minions head for the roof while their heroes and cohorts work on leaving the tower. Except FourDee's ranger cohort, who also goes for the roof.

Psionic Dog
2010-05-29, 06:16 AM
Its a Hit! Mukmuk strikes true with the lance of power striking one zombie. It's not quite enough to destroy the zombie however, and they march on.

Meanwhile those in the tower take turns staring out arrow slits at the approaching undead when someone in the back says: "Ya'know? If we were on the roof all of us could fire at once."

After a moment of stillness the nine ranged attackers turn and rush for the ladder. (They are now in I-19/J-20) and the other three champions with a shrug head down the stairs and unbar the front door.

The undead advance another 30ft in formation to column 6, with the C-D ghouls also moving north another 10ft to B-C/6 to avoid the brightest patch of light.

BRAINS!

Eurus
2010-05-29, 01:02 PM
Mukmuk fires again at the injured zombie, seeking to finish it off.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sir Lawrence advances to M-10, spinning his chain dramatically. The kobolds, meanwhile, open fire on the ghoul in row I. The first one fires then reloads, the second takes the reloaded sling from the first and also fires, and the third takes the sling and reloads.

[roll2]
[roll3] + [roll4]
[roll5] (Low misses)

[roll6]
[roll7] + [roll8]
[roll9] (Low misses)

(Counting 2 range increment penalties)

Eurus
2010-05-30, 02:49 PM
(Well, here's another set of actions for everyone else just in case. Ignore these if they post, obviously. Also, I can't access FourDee's hero's character sheet, it gives me a "bad sheetid" error when I try. So... yeah.)

From the tower door, Humphrey, Blizz, and Donny all advance out to I-17. Moustaffa, meanwhile, launches a barrage of stones at several of the hapless ghouls.

(One attack on each of the ghouls except the one in row I. Moustaffa has low-light vision, so no worries there, and any undead hit by his sling needs a DC 14 will save or be destroyed outright.)

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Light-Hero
2010-05-31, 04:15 AM
(One attack on each of the ghouls except the one in row I. Moustaffa has low-light vision, so no worries there, and any undead hit by his sling needs a DC 14 will save or be destroyed outright.)
Ghoul C is destroyed and crumbles.
Ghoul J is hit and injured, but still standing.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-01, 07:03 PM
Oh, I guess you're waiting on the zombie advance.
((When posting updates don't forget to move the monsters too)

The kobold singer all miss: It looks like the ghoul was 130 ft away at the time, so they should have attacked at -4 (two range increments) and a 17 isn't enough to hit a ghoul with zombie cover.

Despite Moustaffa's sheet's claims to the contrary slings still require a move action to load normally, so he only makes one shot. The first attack (on B) was a miss.

The closest ghoul charges Sir Lawrence.
[roll0] [roll1] + DC 12 Fort vs Paralysis.
(if it dies to an AoO you may ignore it) In some other world a ghoul charges Sir Lawrence, and in some other place Sir Lawrence is being eaten by a ghoul: but not in this one. The ghoul topless face forward once more a cold broken corpse.

Seven zombies follow the ghoul at their own lurching pace.

The topmost unlead zombies lurch into the lake after the flying Mukmuk, while the ghouls to the north urge their zombie cover onward at a "safe distance" from Mukmuk.

Map update coming soon.

Edit: New Improved Bigger Map (Screen Stretcher)
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldA2.png

Eurus
2010-06-01, 07:13 PM
They did attack at -4, actually; the +2 from Undead Bane increasing the enhancement bonus just compensated for one of the penalties. At least, I think that's what it was.

EDIT: And... oh. Yeah, Moustaffa seems to lack a way to reload his sling quickly. Making Rapid Shot and Improved Rapid Shot entirely useless. That's a bit of a problem.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-01, 07:17 PM
Oh, opps. In that case the 19 hit for 13 damage... and Ghouls only have 13 hp...

So no more charging ghoul. Please ignore the ghoul in L-10 on the map: he's actually rather dead.

Eurus
2010-06-01, 07:29 PM
Woo! In that case, Sir Lawrence will use Decisive Strike to make a single attack against the zombie in L-9 at a -2 penalty as a full-round action, in exchange for doubling his damage on all attacks (including attacks of opportunity) for the round. Other attacks made this round will not take the -2 penalty. He follows that up with a 5-foot step back to M-11.

[roll0]
[roll1] x2 (18 damage total before DR)

I'll see the results of that attack before I decide what everyone else is doing...

Eurus
2010-06-02, 12:44 AM
Lawrence's kobold minions do the same fire-reload-pass-fire-pass-reload routine on the zombies in F-9. Both bullets target the same one, unless it drops from the first hit (in which case the second shot targets the other F-9 zombie).

[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4] + [roll5]

Mukmuk will also shoot one of the F-9 zombies. If one of them's wounded but still standing he'll obviously target it, otherwise he'll just target one of them at random. After shooting, he'll fly 10 feet straight up just to be safe.

[roll6]
[roll7]

(Counting the zombie DR, I think all three attacks collectively drop one zombie.)

Eurus
2010-06-02, 01:37 PM
Moustaffa reloads and attacks again, this time the ghoul in B-9. If I counted right, that's a distance of about 140 feet, for a -4 range increment penalty.

[roll0]
[roll1]
DC 14 will save or be destroyed.

FourDee's minions do the same routine as mine, firing a total of two bullets at one of the K-9 zombies.They drop their shields at their feet, since they need two hands to reload...

[roll2]
[roll3] + [roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6] + [roll7]

Enlightened's minions will also open fire, on the northern ghouls. They have Far Shot, so that's only one range penalty.

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

Can't open Donny's sheet, so he'll do a whole lot of nothing. Blizz and Humphrey will use full-round actions to flat out run to M-13.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-03, 04:06 PM
Sir Lawrence shreds a zombie, but the undead creature manages to still stand. His followers open fire on another zombie, and their combined efforts are enough to send one of them back to the grave again.

Moustaffa and the other minions open fire as well scoring three hits...
[roll0]
but fail to unmake any of the undead creatures.

Then it's the undeads turn.

The four closest zombies all put on a slight burst of speed and charge Sir Lawrence... (Less any that die to AoOs)
[roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6]
[roll7] [roll8]
with unexceptional results.

The southern K zombies follows the other four and moves adjacent to Lawrance but lacked a clear path to make a charge. The Northern K zombie and J zombie each march forward to K-12.

Further north the three surviving G-F zombies move waist deep into the water and shuffle hungerly looking up at Mukmuk.

To the far north the lead group advances into Column 12, with the uninjured ghoul moving ahead to jump the ditch and end at A-13.
-----------------------------------------
I had the wrong sheet posted for 4D, that has been corrected.

Eurus
2010-06-03, 04:46 PM
Attack of opportunity on attacking zombie #1: [roll0] [roll1]

And he will do another Decisive Strike before taking a 5-foot step to the southeast. Bulwark of Defense means that anyone who starts their turn in one of his threatened squares treats them as difficult terrain, so no charging, conveniently.

[roll2] [roll3]

Mukmuk shoots at the injured ghoul.
[roll4]
[roll5]

Kobold minions also shoot at whatever's injured (apply range penalties as necessary). Sorry for not being specific, I've just kind of lost track of what I've already hit and what's still at full health.

[roll6]
[roll7] + [roll8]

[roll9]
[roll10] + [roll11]

Eurus
2010-06-03, 05:28 PM
I won't even bother waiting a day to post the actions for everyone else.

Blizz:
Realizes he might disappear at any second, and so launches a Fireball spell at the northmost group of undead. [roll0], reflex DC 20 for half and undead take a -1 penalty to this save due to Favored Magic Foe.

Humphrey:
Turns undead (as a 7th level cleric).
[roll1]
[roll2]

Shanks:
Runs up right behind Sir Lawrence.

Moustaffa:
Attacks one of the ghouls.
[roll3]
[roll4]
And a Will save vs. disruption.

Enlightened's Minions:
Fire-reload-pass-etc at one of the ghouls. If any of them are injured, that's the one they'll shoot, otherwise it'll just be the closest one.

[roll5] (counting 1 range penalty, range increment is 100 ft.)
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

FourDee's Minions:
Same deal as Enlightened's minions.

[roll=Attack 1]
[roll11] + [roll12]
[roll13]

[roll=Attack 2]
[roll14] + [roll15]
[roll16]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-05, 07:59 AM
Ok...

The Fire Ball destroyes all the normal zombie and their two ghoul companions.

The cleric turns to dust all the undead in the southern group that survived the efforts of Sir Lawrance.

In the middle... there are 5 zombies left.

Want me to figure out where they are or shall I declare Attack #1 soundly defeated or do you want to chase the last few down?

Eurus
2010-06-05, 01:37 PM
I think attack #1 is pretty well terminated. I just wanted to make sure it was finished before the new players came in. :smallbiggrin:

Jarian
2010-06-05, 07:29 PM
I was looking over the characters that Adison & Co. are going to be working with, and I noticed that you have a Lawful Neutral Warlock, Eurus. Warlocks have to be either Chaotic or Evil.

Due to Adison's aligned spells, Evil is probably a bad choice.

Eurus
2010-06-05, 11:49 PM
I was looking over the characters that Adison & Co. are going to be working with, and I noticed that you have a Lawful Neutral Warlock, Eurus. Warlocks have to be either Chaotic or Evil.

Due to Adison's aligned spells, Evil is probably a bad choice.

Oops. I always forget about stupid alignment requirements. :smallamused: (I mean really, wouldn't you need to be fairly Lawful in order to enter into a binding pact with a powerful extraplanar force?)

But if it actually matters I can make him chaotic, it's not like this is an actual campaign or anything.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-09, 05:19 AM
Attack 1 cleared
Ammunition used: 6 sling stones.

Vaporizing Flu Strikes Again
Suddenly 12 of the defenders give a scream, a cough, then sneeze themselves inside out and vanish with a *whosh* of air.

At the same instant the portal springs open and the cleric Adison arrives with more substantial substance. Another 6 defenders should arrive shortly.

----------------------------------------
Jarian: Only one problem with the plan: Shape Stone requires an existing stone material. You could use Wall of Stone to generate raw materials, but shaping alters on the stone still in the ground would also leave the newly formed alters still buried 3ft under as well.

Since the old wall only took 3 retroactive castings you start with a full spell load out.

Jarian
2010-06-09, 09:25 AM
Hm. I was under the impression that the cave was made of stone. If there just isn't enough stone present, Adison will simply make the altars either 5x5 or 1x1 cubic feet, as appropriate.

If there isn't any, she'll create a wall at L-10 at just high enough CL for material sufficient for a 5x5 cube.

Consecrate the altar as normal, but don't create any others if option A isn't available.

Repost of preparations, for ease of reference: If the game is restarted, Adison creates Walls of Stone at the area marked on the map, and another where the trench was originally dug, making it 10ft high, for whatever thickness that gives. She also puts Continual Flame torches at the same areas they currently occupy. There is no Hallow effect, despite my earlier claims. Budget cuts in the ranks of Pelor. :smallfrown:

If the game is not restarted, she does all this retroactively, minus the second wall.

Adison's first new actions are to Stone Shape a 10ft tall, 10ft wide altar to Pelor at the following locations: L-10, J-14, and H-18. It takes the form of an oversized holy symbol of Pelor. Cohortence uses Prestidigitation to give them a golden sheen befitting an altar to the Shining One. Adison then casts Consecrate on each of the altars, with an 18 hour duration.

This done, Adison activates her scrolls of Forbiddence, which occupy the following dimensions.

Scroll 1: A-3 through A-8 to L-3 through L-8. Ground level to +60 elevation.

Scroll 2: O-10 through O-15 to D-10 through D-15. Ground level to +60 elevation.

Scroll 3: A-24 through A-29 to L-24 through L-29. Ground level to +60 elevation.

Any nongood creature passing through these areas takes 6d6 points of damage, Will DC 19 half. There is no password for this version of Forbiddance, due to budget issues.

If any rounds remain, Adison casts Hide From Undead on herself and stands near the altar at L-10.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-09, 05:09 PM
Hm. I was under the impression that the cave was made of stone. If there just isn't enough stone present, Adison will simply make the altars either 5x5 or 1x1 cubic feet, as appropriate.

I was under the impression that the stone shaped didn't move, so while the ground is indeed a mass of gravel, shale, limestone, etc with rock a-plenty the newly shaped stone alter would still be in the same location (IE: in/under the ground). Sure someone could then dig up the alters and place them upright in position, it would just take more time.

Of course, if you have a convincing argument for why the stone would flow up out of the ground and into the desired shape I'd be interested in hearing your explanation.

Currently waiting to see if Eurus wishes to make any preparations as well.

Jarian
2010-06-09, 05:27 PM
Of course, if you have a convincing argument for why the stone would flow up out of the ground and into the desired shape I'd be interested in hearing your explanation.

Uh... I think it's a different take on the idea behind the spell itself, really. We see the same thing two different ways.

It doesn't matter. Adison will simply cast Wall of Stone in L-10 using her 4th available wall of stone during the prep days, and Stone Shape that into the altar.

Eurus
2010-06-09, 06:20 PM
I was under the impression that the stone shaped didn't move, so while the ground is indeed a mass of gravel, shale, limestone, etc with rock a-plenty the newly shaped stone alter would still be in the same location (IE: in/under the ground). Sure someone could then dig up the alters and place them upright in position, it would just take more time.

Currently waiting to see if Eurus wishes to make any preparations as well.

I don't really have any preparations to make, no. I did add a divine wand of Enlarge Person to my hero's inventory, though, since he'll no longer get a permanent version.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-10, 04:59 AM
I don't really have any preparations to make, no. I did add a divine wand of Enlarge Person to my hero's inventory, though, since he'll no longer get a permanent version.

.... alright. What was removed from the inventory to compensate?

Eurus
2010-06-10, 12:42 PM
.... alright. What was removed from the inventory to compensate?

Nothing. If you recall, I had some leftover cash even after buying a ludicrous amount of holy water, acid, and rations. :smallbiggrin:

Adding up everything, unless I'm mistaken, I've spent 48,070 gold.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-10, 05:24 PM
[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

Map coming soon.

Jarian
2010-06-10, 06:05 PM
Just realized that Hide from Undead is 1 target/level, so Adison will put it on Eurus's entire team, plus herself, Corhortense, and Chuck I, as soon as she gets a strange premonition that zombies are coming within the next hour or so. Then she takes up position to the west of the altar.

Eurus
2010-06-10, 06:10 PM
Handy! I'll be having my hero standing about 70 feet away from the black mist (M-7, if the last map still holds). My cohort will be flying over the water in H-9, and my minions will be in M-8, since they can run around healing without getting mobbed by undead.

Jarian
2010-06-10, 06:13 PM
since they can run around healing without getting mobbed by undead.

Only until Adison attempts to Greater Turn Undead on turn 1 or 2. :smalltongue:

If it breaks for anyone, it breaks for everyone.

Eurus
2010-06-10, 06:34 PM
Gah. Didn't know that. Okay, minions on the tower roof like before.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-10, 07:19 PM
I tried to convince myself that the zombies were mindless creatures immune to forbidden.

That was real hard to do when the description said "Abjurection."

So enjoy your invisible walls of painful death to the Other Guy. After spending 12,000 gp+ on them I guess that right has been paid for. :smallsmile:

So...
DC 19 will, 6d6 damage.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]

The zombies are 17 minutes long in coming, allowing Adison to finish preparations and get into position with time to spare.

Eventualy with pounding foot steps they come: Two inhuman vampire spawn salvating for fresh meat surrounded by millions of little spiders flowing in carpets.

Three of the spider swarms flow into the bug zapper forbidden barrier and fry with little sparks of light. The northern vamp spawn screams as it crosses the threshold and fairly smolders under the onslaught. Morally wounded it scuttles forward and north to a dark shadow in a wall where it pauses to reconsider.

To the south one swarm of spiders flows forward unopposed and the accompanying vampire spawn pauses at screams of it's partner and readies an action.

Map
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldA3.png
Tell me if I missed anything.

Eurus
2010-06-10, 07:41 PM
Mukmuk's normally dour face almost manages a smile at the display, and he fires a rippling beam of energy at the injured vampire.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sir Lawrence moves 15 feet northwest, putting him inside the Forbiddance zone to keep the spiders at bay, then another 5 feet west, readying an action to smack the vampire with his chain if it tries to hit him.

The minions sit back and watch the show.

Jarian
2010-06-10, 08:02 PM
"By the infinite grace of the Shining One, I banish you to whence you came, spawn of evil!" Adison cries, holding her holy symbol overhead. A blast of pure white light shoots out from it, striking at the vampire spawn nearest her.

Move to M-8, NE corner.

Free action: Turn Undead. (Via Quicken Turning feat)

Turning check is irrelevant unless the spawn is advanced, but here we go: [roll0]

Turning damage: [roll1] * 1.5 = total hit dice possible to turn.

If the spawn has 4.5 or fewer hit dice, it is destroyed outright.

If it still lives, Standard Action: Flame Strike for [roll2] damage on it and the swarm, reflex DC 20 half. If it's dead, ignore the swarm, instead taking a second move action 20ft north into the Forbiddence.

Cohortense and the various Chuck's shout to keep the noise down, and that they're trying to sleep.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-11, 05:59 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Since the wounded vamp spawn is in complete darkness and the darkvision doesn't extend far enough...
[roll2]

Vampire Spawn have 6 effective HD counting turn resistance, and the cleric has an effective caster level of 13 with magic items... so the spawn goes *poof*

The healthy vampire spawn gives one final cry as with a flash of light it crumbles to dust, never more to haunt this plane while providing a neat object lesson to the meaning of "overkill"

The remaining spider swarm tries to follow the juicy prey, but suffers predictably crunchy results from the 4,000+ gp bug zapper.

Mukmuk launches a bolt of energy at the shadows the wounded vampire vanished into, but apparently misses as no yelps of pain follow.

Those with Low Light vision watch the last spawn take total defense and work on it's fast healing.

Jarian
2010-06-11, 08:28 PM
I think it's reasonable for any intelligent undead to realize that others have been zapped by a given Forbiddence and attempt to move around an area that they've already discovered. I bought them more for crowd control than complete slaughter.

"Filth of the shadows, begone!" Adison cries, running to the north while clutching at her holy symbol. Skidding to a halt, she murmurs a hasty prayer to Pelor, and a flood of light fills the area around her, scouring any undead in the area.

Full-round: Run north 60ft.

Free action: Turn Undead.

Turning check: [roll0]

Turning damage: [roll1] * 1.5

Eurus
2010-06-12, 05:05 PM
Mukmuk tries again.

[roll1]
[roll=Concealment (odd misses)]1d10

The others just watch with amusement.

Eurus
2010-06-12, 05:07 PM
Let's try that again. [roll0]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-12, 06:04 PM
Hmm... *reads turning rules*

A '4' indicates that the casting is at level - 2. So... [Level 9] [-2 turning mod] [+4 magic items] = Effective Level 11.

Did I calculate that right?

Vampires spawn have [4 hd + 2 turn resistince] = 6, so the spawn is turned but not destroyed.

Edit: No, that means only undead of 11 or fewer HD can be turned, so the vamp spawn would still be destroyed... right? wrong?

The vampire spawn howls in terror at the light, and then turns to flee up the wall spider climbing to escape its tormentor.

The vamp spawn is now in A6 40 ft up the wall with 9 hp, in complete darkness for those without lowlight vision or sufficient darkvision range.

EDIT: Noticed that the turning check only effects max HD, not the cleric level for purposes of destroying turned undead.

With another flash of light and another poof of smoke the last undead vanishes.

Attack 2 Cleared
Zombie High Water mark: Column 6.
Time To defeat: 3 rounds.
Injuries Sustained: 0hp (zombies will try harder next time)
Spells Used: (1) 1st Level, (1) 2nd Level
Equipment Expended: 5 lbs (25 gp worth) of silver dust.
Turnings Expended: 2

As the lot of you sweep the piles of ashes aside you here the rumble of another approaching wave that will arrive n 2d12 minutes...

Jarian
2010-06-12, 06:10 PM
Edit: Adison suddenly realizes that she's zapped everything and puts down her holy symbol, glaring. "There'll be more. I'll be ready."

Eurus
2010-06-12, 06:16 PM
Sir Lawrence grins wryly. "That was a hell of a lightshow. I prefer some good old-fashioned skull smashing, myself, but I have to admit, that was pretty good."

Jarian
2010-06-12, 06:18 PM
Adison replaces the Hide from Undead spell on the others previously affected, then takes up position by the altar.

"Pelor's grace is not a 'lightshow'. Still, it is nice to be appreciated."

Psionic Dog
2010-06-13, 06:45 AM
((Game currently waiting an extra day to see if Mangles finishes up submissions))

Psionic Dog
2010-06-17, 07:18 PM
Ok, Mangles probably won't be joining us. I've sent out a few PM invitations, and if those don't catch anyone I'll open a recruitment request. If none of that works I may give you each an extra cohort clone along with some extra cash and minions, but I'm hoping to get a third player.

But for now, Let's play out the rest of Wave #1. Thank you for your patience. :smallsmile:

----------------------------------------------------------------
[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-17, 07:27 PM
Lots of Dice:
Skell group #1
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15]

Skell Group #2
[roll16] [roll17]
[roll18] [roll19]
[roll20] [roll21]
[roll22] [roll23]
[roll24] [roll25]
[roll26] [roll27]
[roll28] [roll29]
[roll30] [roll31]

DM Dice Fudging says that the two skeletons who made their save had above average health allowing them to be still un-living with 1 hp left. The other 22 unlucky skeletons are now dust.

Zombie
[roll32] [roll33]

With what feels like days 18 long minutes slowly tick past as the heros make small talk in the still humid air amidst the drip of water. Some minions make a game of finding constellations in the illuminant fungi paterns along the cavern surfaces.

That is, until the flash of light from zapped skeletons announces the arrival of yet another mob of clueless undead walking into the wards.

There were two dozen of the creature, three groups of eight. Of the norther and middle march only two battered skeletons survived, although the eight southerners walk on.

The zombie also walks on, singed but unbroken. This rotting creature was once a massive Minotaur and although there is only one of him, there is a lot of him. The zombie caries a great ax in its hands, the only piece of equipment beyond tattered garments that you've seen any of the invaders carry to date.

The skeletons march with a quickfooted mockery of life, but to the fainter of heart the Minotaur zombie seems to move with the relentless certainty of the grave itself.

Latest Map
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldA4.png

Jarian
2010-06-18, 12:44 PM
...not trying to be a kill hog, but that's too great an opportunity to pass up.

Moving away from the altar and into the first area of warding, Adison holds her holy symbol high and intones a quick, fervent prayer to Pelor.

"Suscipe, Pelor, universam meam libertatem. Accipe memoriam, intellectum atque voluntatem omnem. Quidquid habeo vel possideo mihi largitus es; id tibi totum restituo, ac tuae prorsus voluntati trado gubernandum. Amorem tui solum gratia tua mihi dones, et dives sum satis, nec aliud quidquam ultra posco. Amen."

As she concludes, a blast a yellow-white light floods over the area, searing flesh and scouring away whatever remnants of souls remain.

Yes, that's Latin. No, I don't know enough to find the second reference to Pelor that should be in there. :smallredface:

Move to L-8, northeast corner, Greater Turn Undead.

Damage: [roll1] * 1.5 <- Forgot to add charisma modifier, die roll should be one point higher.

Edit: Fixed prayer. Apparently Latin words with an English swear filter don't mix. :smalltongue:

Oh yes, and ready an action to follow Eurus's hero if it moves.

Eurus
2010-06-19, 04:57 AM
Mukmuk makes with the bang bang against the northmost skeleton, while Sir Lawrence whistles a jaunty tune.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-19, 10:51 AM
Foosh!

With another flask of light the 8 southern skeletons all go limp dropping to form a scattered bone yard. They did have one purpose in their unlife however: soaking up enough of the radient energy to allow the Minotaur zombie to advance unturned.

Mukmuk also joins the fire works, dropping the northern most stubborn skeleton to shattered bones.

The middle skeleton (the last survivor of his kind) turns and charges the cleric clawed hands reaching out in eternal agony..
[roll0] [roll1]

The zombie continue to follow the road, advancing to K-6, its ax held stiffly by the blank eyed automation.

Jarian
2010-06-19, 11:07 AM
Adison, feeling that perhaps it would be best not to allow the zombies to gain further knowledge of the defenses just yet, raises her holy symbol yet again.

"Begone!"

Free: Activate Disciple of the Sun, expending two Turn Undead uses. Turned creatures are instead destroyed.

Damage: [roll1] * 1.5

Also, I just noticed that I rolled a d20 for the last turning damage. Whoops. :smallredface: At least it turned out to be a lower result than the average of 2d6...

If the zombie is still alive, Flame Strike it.

[roll2], reflex DC 20 for half.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-19, 01:08 PM
Opps, forgot about the 1.5x multiplier.

Zombie was destroyed after all. You may revise your actions if you wish.

Jarian
2010-06-19, 01:35 PM
Adison will wait to see what Eurus's hero does first.

Eurus
2010-06-19, 03:47 PM
Mukmuk will keep his attack on the one skeleton, and Sir Lawrence - assuming that Adison probably doesn't want to burn more turning/spells on a few measly skeletons - will 5-foot step to get within 10 feet of and chain-whip the one that went after her.

[roll0]
[roll1]

(EDIT: What is with this roller hating me lately? >_>)

Jarian
2010-06-19, 04:00 PM
"By Pelor's grace, return to dust!"

Full attack morningstar on the skeleton.

[roll0] for [roll1]
[roll2] for [roll3]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-19, 09:09 PM
ZAP
CRUNCH

The undead are no more.

Attack 3 Defeated
Resources consumed:
1 Greater Turn Undead.
Injuries sustained: None.

Next attack arrives in 2d12 minutes incase either of you have any preparations you wish to make before then.

NM020110
2010-06-22, 07:45 AM
A man in leather armor steps through the portal, reciting poetry. Almost at the same time the heads of four horses poke through. As about half the horses pass through, two men in chainmail armed with longswords step through on the outside edge of the wagons. As the wagons pass, an elan wearing a robe that seems to displace reality steps through. He launches something into the air. Coming up on outside are two more men in chainmail. Though you can't see what is in the first wagon, the second seems to be carrying a great deal of torches.

Actions on arrival: Activate my psicrystals flight ability to survey the current battlefield. Move the wagons up so they are south of the tower and fifteen feet back. I will then spend one power point to create a mindlink with the bard and seek out someone to ask for more information regarding the current situation.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-23, 03:33 PM
[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-23, 08:20 PM
After exiting the portal Reinforcement Group NM020110 carefuly shuts the portal. ((I'm not sure who was holding the Portal closure device before, but one of N's group now has it))

For a few moments the new arrivals scurry about with a bustle of urgency unloaded, but the urgency starts to fade when they consider the extent of their welcome - or rather, the complete lack of one. All the defenders they can see are standing firmly with their backs to Great Portal.

The reason for this perceived discourtesy is soon reveled however: for no sooner does for no sooner is the mindlink forged than the psicrystal reports that a small army of skeletons have arrived!

Attacking force: 4 Owlbear Skeletons, 12 human skeletons. The human skeletons come in groups of 6: the norther most is destroyed utterly by the Forbearance. The southern passes the gap unhindered.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Map:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldA5.png

NM020110
2010-06-24, 10:06 AM
With the psicrystal's report, I give the following orders: Minion 1 and 2, keep unloading. Minion 3 and 4 move to G15 and E15. Cohort move to F15 and await orders. I will move to J17 and look for a weak spot to insert myself. When minion 1 and 2 are finished unloading, they will move the contents of the wagon to the tower storage room.

Edit: The bard has the macguffin, by the way.

Eurus
2010-06-25, 04:35 PM
Sir Lawrence strikes carefully at one of the skeletons in M-6, then steps back to defend himself.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Mukmuk fires at the owlbear skeleton in J-6.

[roll2]
[roll3]

The minions also fire at the same owlbear skeleton.

[roll4]
[roll5] + [roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9] + [roll10]
[roll11]

Jarian
2010-06-25, 04:49 PM
Holy prayer, sufficiently pious rebuke, loft holy symbol... yada yada.

Move to K-8, SE corner.

Free action, Greater Turn Undead.

Turning damage: [roll1] * 1.5

Depending on results, may have a standard action to take too. Lol... poof.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-25, 07:21 PM
Turn undead... remind me again, is that a burst or a cone?

Edit somehow I was thinking 'cone' but it does appear to be a 60ft radius burst that manages to catch every undead in range and destroy them all.

BEGONE

and then there were no more skeletons, just little heaps of broken bones and ash.

Attack 4 Defeated
Resources consumed:
1 Greater Turn Undead.

Wave 1 Cleared
Resources consumed:
6 sling stones,
2 Greater Turn Undead,
2 standard undead turnings,
5 lbs of silver (25 gp)
1 st level spell, 1 2nd level spell

If every wave is like the first you will require 240 sling stones, 80 Greater Turn Undead usages, and an additional 80 standard turn undead usages. In addition 40 1st level spell slots, 40 2nd level spell slots, and 200 lbs of silver (1,000 gp worth) will be required to defeat the invasion.

Of course, sooner or latter the cleric will have to sleep (or something that isn't undead will appear). Then things will become interesting.

Next wave arrives in 3 - 4 hours. If you have any preparations/introductions you need to make you may perform them now.

Eurus
2010-06-25, 09:01 PM
Sir Lawrence sweeps the bone dust off his armor, and glances back at Adison. "So how long do you think you can keep this up, at this pace?"

NM020110
2010-06-25, 09:15 PM
I'll use fabricates to reshape the berm to have shear sides (raise the slopes to form a cliff, using the dirt around the berm for the work. This should leave a more or less 10-foot wide and ten foot deep trench around the berm, with a fifteen (twenty-five from the bottom of the trench) foot cliff to the top. Unless I am severely mis-calculating, this will take three uses of fabricate and 27 rounds. I will stop if it takes more than seven fabricates.

I will have the minions move to the altar and start excavating the area around the altar of sealing. The bard inspires competence and works alongside the minions, with a break every half-hour to reseal the portal.

Any checks (if necessary):

5 checks each:
Champion:
[roll0]+19
[roll1]+19
[roll2]+19
[roll3]+19
[roll4]+19

Cohort:
[roll5]+9
[roll6]+9
[roll7]+9
[roll8]+9
[roll9]+9

Minions:
[roll10]+6+2(inspire competence)
[roll11]+6+2
[roll12]+6+2
[roll13]+6+2
[roll14]+6+2
[roll15]+6+2
[roll16]+6+2
[roll17]+6+2
[roll18]+6+2
[roll19]+6+2
[roll20]+6+2
[roll21]+6+2
[roll22]+6+2
[roll23]+6+2
[roll24]+6+2
[roll25]+6+2
[roll26]+6+2
[roll27]+6+2
[roll28]+6+2
[roll29]+6+2
[roll30]+6+2
[roll31]+6+2

Edit: Yes, this is a tad bit of a nova for building...
Hesboroth: "Any problems with the defense?"
Edit2: I intend for the lake to partially drain creating a layer of water about half-a-foot deep (I don't feel like calculating that right now). This should make the trench count as difficult terrain.

Jarian
2010-06-25, 09:53 PM
Adison shrugs as if it is of no importance.

"Perhaps twenty more like this. Fewer if they are stronger, more if I call on Pelor's aid temporarily."

Clerics don't need to sleep for spells or turn undead uses, only pray for an hour, so I'm perfectly willing to soak the fatigue that comes from not sleeping, if need be.

...Oh yes, and Cohortense decides he'll be helpful now and comes up onto the roof of the tower, sack of scrolls in hand.

NM020110
2010-06-25, 09:56 PM
"I suspect there will be more ...difficult waves than the one that just came through. Is there anything I could do to see this task made easier?

Jarian
2010-06-25, 10:00 PM
Adison points to the nearby altar.

"Can you make more of these?"

NM020110
2010-06-25, 10:11 PM
"Not of stone, unless you would like it to take a long time. In compacted dirt, I could do so without too much trouble. Would that be a problem for you?"

Psionic Dog
2010-06-27, 01:26 PM
The berm is a pile of limestone gravel and shale mixed with dirt and clay, for added stability. Over the years the whole mess has been partially encrusted with calcite from stalagmite action. Even so, it can only be made so steep before the sides cave in without reinforcement. As a result Fabricate would create a rough brick retaining wall rather than a shear glassy cut.

Since the berm is at least 2/3 rock/gravel and has become encrusted with calcite over time, it counts as "mineral" for manipulation.

And yes, sleep not required for the cleric. However, its still possible for the cleric to run out - although with 20 turnings a day but only 16 attacks I admit this may not happen.

Next wave info coming once I figure out the terrain improvement results.

NM020110
2010-06-27, 01:43 PM
Alright, favoring the left side for improvement, keep the limit of 7 fabricates. After those seven just use the standard checks to get what I can do, done.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-27, 03:44 PM
After 3 long sweaty hours Hesboroth & crew discover that moving large volumes of packed dirt/loose rock by hand is harder than it looks.

The minions set to work digging a trench 5ft wide around the pedestal while the resident bard provides encouragement. Each minion takes on one 15ft long segment of the project, and they make... some progress. Minions #1 & 3 manage to dig 4 inches down on their segments while Minion #2 groves to the music to clear 16 inches of earth. Minion #4 fumbles and makes no progress.

All together the four minions move 144 cubic ft of rock and dirt in 3 hours.

Hesboroth spends his time first fabricating a brick/stone retaining wall from the berm itself, a construct a 1 ft thick 5ft high and 12.5 ft long before seeking to deepen the existing ditch himself. He manages to bring the existing ditch down to an even 5 ft depth for the first 6.5 ft of the ditch.

The 192 cubic ft of earth excavated is just enough to backfill the retaining wall.

Fabricate is wonderful for creating weapons and equipment, but surprising limited for masonry/fortifications. Moving a 10x10 ft deep trench into a retaining wall/back fill along the entire 85 ft of berm would required about 8,500 cu ft of material transformed. Even if this was non-mineral for 90 cu ft / casting that would still have required 94 castings to complete... and that's just for the left side.

As it is, using fabricate to build the retaining wall and using manual labor to back fill would require 1,275 cu ft of material transformed 9 cu ft at a time, or 142 castings for the zombie facing side.

You may wish to rethink your ambitions.

Manuel Digging in the past Profesion(Mining) was used for measuring amounts of excavated dirt. Since I can see Siege Workers of having some knowledge of earth moving for fortifications I'll allow a synergy bonus to Profession(mining), giving them (the minions) a +1 mining modifier. Now technically a 2 minutes of inspiration shouldn't help an hours long check, but I'll permit it anyway if the bard spends the entire time being inspirational (no direct work done by bard) and uses a new Bardic Music usage every hour (3 music uses total)

So with the competence bonus the minions are doing mining work with a +3 mod for [14, 23, 13, 6].
Measured in 5x5x5 cubes for a full 8 hour day's work:
A 10 excavates 1/2 cube (60 cubic ft)
A 15 excavates 1 cube (125 cubic ft)
A 20 excavates 2 cubes (250 cubic ft)

The workers have excavated for 3 hours before they are interrupted by the next wave, so 3/8 progress on the above figures.
Each worker starts excavation on a segment 15 ft long.
Minion #1: 24 cubic ft excavated: 24 / (15 * 5) = 0.3 = 4 inches deep
Minion #2: 94 cubic ft excavated. " " " = 16 inches deep
Minion #3: 24 cubic ft excavated. " " " = 4 inches deep
Minion #4: FAIL 3 hours of effort an no measurable progress.

Hero: 13 +2 = 15 (48 cubic ft excavated in 3 hours)

If you can give a convincing explanation for what seige works does for digging fortifications I may refund extra results for the labor expended.

However, the time of digging has past. In the distance you hear the rumble of a new wave of attackers that will arrive in 2d12 minutes. Please indicate battle positions, any work that will attempt to be made through the oncoming wave, and any other preparations in general.

NM020110
2010-06-28, 10:08 PM
Ok...that was somewhat less than I had anticipated, but oh well. For the actions I'll have minions three and four move up to the tower to defend. Bard, minion 1, and minion 2 keep working. I will ask my teammates if I should move up to help defend. If yes, move to D8. If no, keep working.

Secondly, my justification of siege works providing for training in the digging of trenches.
Siege works refers to the construction of fortifications in order to keep hostile infantry and cavalry units from crossing. Historically, this typically manifested as palisades and walls to provide a barrier. Historical evidence suggests that the roman army would construct barriers of this nature and surround it with a trench or moat in order to delay intruders seeking to infiltrate the camp. The use of trenches, however, came to its height under the doctrine of Vauban, which recommended that trenches be used to mitigate cannon fire. In this, trenches had the advantages of providing a greater mass between the projectile and the target and requiring relatively few materials. Trenching in this case was developed as a response to superior firepower (the cannon) rendering traditional fortifications obsolete. It is not inconceivable that the destructive forces of magic, psionics, and large creatures might cause similar measures to be developed.

Third, given the above, would not a 400 GP siege works kit include a shovel for the purposes of trenching?

Psionic Dog
2010-06-29, 05:19 AM
Kit did included shovels, (30 gp for 6) but I'm not sure it would have included masterwork excavation kits (300 gp for 6 masterwork sets of shovels, wheelbarrows, buckets, etc).

On siege works.
Interesting thought, but it's a craft skill that produces finished goods. For example, a siege tower or palisade. I suppose a trench could be considered a 'finished good,' but then I'd need a gp value, a craft DC, and you'd need 1/3 the trench value in bricks / timber supports.

If the entire point of seige woks is only digging you may retrain everyone to profession mining because of the misscommunication, otherwise we'll try to come up with a fair pricing to record progress.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-29, 05:26 AM
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15]

[roll16] (anything not nat 1)
[roll17] [roll18]

Not 5 minutes after the defenders start to move for defensive possitions the zombies arrive. There are 8 of them, marching down the center... at least until they strike the forbearance then there are only 2. (G & H 3)

The zombies are accompanied by a companion who is no zombie at all, but a fiendish viper, a huge poisons beast. The northern one takes a full force zap, but continues onward to B-4, while the southern snake moves unopposed to N-4.

NM020110
2010-06-29, 11:33 AM
Siege works discussion
I suppose a proffesion check would be more appropriate. I intend to use it to build palisades later on, however. Would taking profession (siege engineer) be acceptable for this?

For my actions...I'll take a move action to sit down, and then a standard action to manifest energy wall (cold) stretching from A5 to O5. It deals 2d6+2 damage to the fiendish vipers (fort save for half) and 1d6+1 damage to the zombies (fort save for half, and it affects objects). Anything that passes through the wall will take 2d6+9 damage (fort save for half), and be subject to the readied actions of my minions to shoot them.

B-4 viper: [roll0]
N-4 viper: [roll1]
G-3 zombie: [roll2]
H-3 zombie: [roll3]

I will maintain concentration on the wall until further notice (most likely after the wave is over).

Edit: Energy wall has a duration of concentration +1 round/level. By my reading, it should last as long as I concentrate and don't move past column 23. Is this reading correct?

Eurus
2010-06-29, 02:03 PM
(If it's "Concentration +1 round/level", that means it will last for as long as you concentrate and for another round/level after that. Also, concentrating on a spell is a standard action, so you can still move. May require concentration checks, though.)

Sir Lawrence gets tired of dealing with the low light, so he pulls out an everburning torch and tucks it into his belt.

Mukmuk fires at the northern viper.

[roll0]
[roll1]

NM020110
2010-06-29, 02:28 PM
There isn't a difficulty class listed in the srd, so I'm not sure that a concentration check is needed for normal movement. Maybe strenuous movement, but over a flat surface should be alright. I'll wait for DM input. Until then, I'll be sitting in D9 for a while...

Edit: Clarification on "a while": elans don't need to sleep...

Psionic Dog
2010-06-30, 07:45 PM
Elans don't need to sleep? :smallconfused:
Last I heard it was only that they wouldn't die of old age.

Anyway, your predecessor had the same idea, but was using a Wall of Fire. I ruled that since taking standard actions is strenuous as defined in the disabled entry that maintaining long term concentration has the same consequences as hustling overland (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#overlandHustle). Eventually you'll ether fail a concentration check against the nonlethal damage or pass out, so "a while" is measured in minutes and hours rather than days.

Finally, as a reminder to the new players there is a small rule to keep the game moving: If a player is absent for more than 24 hours one of their companions may post actions for their character to keep combat flowing. If after 48 hours there is still no posted actions the DM will either declare that the character did nothing or else took a suboptimal action.

I believe Jarian is currently going through sporadic posting for the moment so on occasions it may be necessarily for someone to post actions for her characters.

NM020110
2010-07-01, 12:11 AM
On the no sleep, it seems that I confused the aberration and outsider traits, probably because of a character for another campaign which qualifies as both (in addition to being a swarm)...Sorry about that. It should not, however, cause difficulty in maintaining a wall of energy for a bit less than an hour and a half (that is if you roll six twelves on the time between rounds).

Psionic Dog
2010-07-01, 05:25 PM
On Digging. creature types and concentration
An aberration outsider swarm as a PC? :smalleek:
That sounds worse than the Half-Dragon Pixie one of my players once made.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting 1 point of non-lethal and a single DC 11 concentration check to cause any difficulty. The ruling was more to keep a single spell from frying a dozen attacks with a single casting.

Finally, go ahead with switch to Profession(Seige Engineer). I'll allow both trench digging and palisade building with that skill set.

Dice Rolls
... The zombie and northern snake are as good as dead so no saves for them. The southern one...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

First save looks to be a failure, second was a success. With Cold Resistance 5 the viper took a net of 9 damage.

Hmm. I'm assuming Sir Tomas is still at his usual M-7 station?
Snake attacks with 10 ft reach.

The wall of energy wasn't quite enough to drop the two zombies, so Adison gleefully skips forward and performs a Smite Undead. Again. Like normal.
Since the zombies have 4 collective HD and Adison seems to be doing 31 levels of damage minimum its no contest.

The northern viper, already wounded by the forbearance thrashes in the cold but manages to continue moving until struck by the eldritch energy of Mukmuk where it gives one final spasm before slowly cooling.

The southern fiendish viper slithers onward, shrugging off a portion of the chill effect to N-6 where (assuming it survives the readied volley) it takes a bite at Sir Thomas.
[roll3] [roll4] If it hits make a save vs poison.

Defenders go again. :smallcool:

NM020110
2010-07-01, 08:05 PM
Hmmm...I suppose the wall of cold wasn't the most productive of measures. Let's see what the two crossbow shots do:

To hit:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Crit confirm (if applicable):
[roll2]
[roll3]
Damage rolls (if applicable):
[roll4]
[roll5]
Fumble rolls (if applicable) (I hope we don't have any exploding crossbows...):
[roll6]
[roll7]

In the likely event that the viper survives, my minions will attack using rapid shot.
To hit:
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
Crit confirm (if applicable):
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
Damage rolls (if applicable):
[roll16]
[roll17]
Fumble rolls (if applicable):
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]

I'm going to defer my character's action until I see if the viper lives or not. If not, though, I'll be chilling the enemies corpses for another 2d12 minutes...

As for the PC...the GM told us to make them ECL 50, and we start with divine ranks. I'm probably not trying hard enough.

I've made the change over, and noticed that I'm some stat-based issues, namely a -1 penalty to minion siege checks, -1 one for the bard in the same, and a -7 penalty to the psion's siege checks (relative to the craft-based set). As a moderately defensible argument could be made for the use of any attribute for the skill, I would like to request to use Int for the checks. My basic arguments for why each attribute could be used are laid out below:

Strength
Dig out more faster. Drive the stakes in further. Why, I had a relative who worked in a factory by giving the large object a bear hug and picking them up (he was supposed to use a crane).

Dexterity
See if you can jump over a trench, and use that a base for how wide to build a trench. By better knowing how to pass through defenses (and showing this to your peers so they'll believe you), you can design them to eliminate those weaknesses

Constitution
Work longer than anyone else, take fewer breaks, and in general get more done. You might do more work, but hey, you're doing more work. This can be especially useful in time-constrained situations, such as the one we're in now...

Intelligence
Know how to get it done so it doesn't have to be discovered through trial and error. There is a reason this was used for the craft skill, and as I'm not trying to sell the trenches (see WIS), the skill check in this case should probably only take into account our ability to create it...

Wisdom
As wisdom is often used to represent the characters intuition, I feel that it is used here to do the job to the employers standards. As profession is being used as a simplified craft check, it would seem that this represents the characters ability to detect natural lines in the soil and use those to aid in the construction.

Charisma
This one is a tad difficult, but could be flavored as subconscious persuasion of elemental spirits within the worked substance, causing it to work itself and thus achieve results.
While I understand that this may be pushing for too much (I could be paying XP to craft the trenches, you have been quite generous), it would be quite helpful if this was considered. Thank you.

Eurus
2010-07-03, 12:59 AM
(Ugh, sorry. Forgot that I hadn't already posted here.)

Sir Lawrence fearlessly lets the attack glance off his armor, and responds by slashing at the snake with his chain.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Mukmuk seems to perk up and pay more attention at the attack on Lawrence, despite its failure, and zaps the beast himself.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-03, 07:32 AM
@NM020110
Fumble rolls will not be used in the game. :smallcool:

On Skills:
Constitution is already included. The labor checks are for an 8 hour day, but a character can work longer as if performing a forced march using endurance/Constitution checks.

Wisdom is still the primary ability. It reflects an individuals ability to prioritize and work efficiently at large projects, guesstimate distances, etc.

Strength/Dexterity wouldn't directly apply (Siege Engineer is much more than just moving dirt)). Charisma doesn't particularly apply unless you are a manager (see bardic inspiration) and Intelligence is already indirectly linked by determining how many skill points were available to invest in the task.

Two arrows hit, but they are two shallow to deal any damage to the snake.

Sir Lawrence swings wildly and sees the wing deflected of the snake's scales.

Mukmuk hits, but the snake keeps moving.

I'm going to give a one time extension for the heros to finish actions. In the future however those who delay too long will find themselves delaying into the next round. Marathon combat requires a fast clip to be completed in any reasonable time frame.

NM020110
2010-07-03, 09:47 AM
I think I'll (provided the snake still lives) stop concentrating on the wall of cold and manifest mind thrust (spending four points to augment it). DC 20 will save to negate [roll0] damage.
If the snake is already dead, I'll take a standard action to concentrate on chilling the corpses.

Eurus
2010-07-03, 01:30 PM
The kobold minions consider firing, but know that their feeble rocks are unlikely to have much more effect on a non-undead creature than a stiff breeze.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-03, 02:35 PM
*nod*

NM020110, The hero appears to be seated in D8, putting the snake well outside the range of a mind thrust. I'll assume you just stood up in preparation for moving closer while continuing to concentrate on the frosty wall.

With a violant snap the snake tries again at tasting Sir Lawrance
[roll0] [roll1] + poison if hit

Then its the defenders turn once more...

Eurus
2010-07-03, 04:00 PM
The fangs barely fail to pierce Lawrence's flesh this time, actually managing to get between his collar and his neck, but miss they do. "Fall over already, will you?"

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

NM020110
2010-07-03, 05:38 PM
Move to H-8 and ready an action. If the viper makes an attack, telekinetic thrust (DC 20 will to negate) it to J-2. That should put it through the energy wall and forbiddance zone, which it will likely cross again to get back...

Minions will take readied actions as well to shoot the snake if it gets thrown. (no need to shoot an ally).

Psionic Dog
2010-07-03, 05:53 PM
CRUNCH

Lawrence's next swing nearly misses as well, but the spiked chain snags on the scales ripping a nasty wound, which together with the following Eldritch blast proves fatal.

Attack Cleared

next attack arrives in 2d12 minutes.
There is a 50% chance that the next attack is a "Mini Boss" event with more slightly more powerful foes.

Please list any changes to preparations, if any.

NM020110
2010-07-03, 06:14 PM
I'll send the two minions who were helping with this attack to take six everburning torches and place them in B3 (far right side), B7 (bottom left), H3 (far right side), H6 (far right side), O6 (bottom right side), and H16 (so that the berm hides it from the portal's view. Cohort will reseal the portal, then move onto the berm with two minions. The two minions that participated in that last round will take a full round to reload their crossbows. I will then stay in H8 and take consecutive move actions to request that the map be updated (still using standard actions to maintain the wall) until such time as a large zapping sound announces the next wave.

Eurus
2010-07-03, 06:16 PM
Not much preparing on my part, but Lawrence will keep an everburning torch secured to his belt.

NM020110
2010-07-03, 06:20 PM
Looks over to Jarian, and says, as a free action, "Is there anything that could be done to prepare for the incoming forces?"

Psionic Dog
2010-07-05, 07:42 AM
Adison stares off into the mists considering the offer, but all to soon the rising horrors are upon you and the time for answers pass.

On Digging refund coming once I get the new Group C started.

Dice Rolls

[mini boss on attack]1d2+1 Edit: real dice say [2]+1 = 3.
[roll1] + [roll2]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-05, 08:31 AM
The setting: A warm damp cave lit with lanterns and torches.

The Attackers: two dozen dire rats and four wolf skeletons.

Bug Zapper Dice Rolls:
Since the rats are neutral they take half damage on a failed save and 1/4 damage on success. A few might survive.

To save space the rats take damage/make saves in pairs.
[roll0] [roll1] Lives
[roll2] [roll3] Dead
[roll4] [roll5] Dead
[roll6] [roll7] Dead
[roll8] [roll9] Lives
[roll10] [roll11] Dead
[roll12] [roll13] Dead
[roll14] [roll15] Dead
[roll16] [roll17] Lives

Wolf skeletons:
[roll18] [roll19] Dead
[roll20] [roll21] Dead
[roll22] [roll23] Lives
[roll24] [roll25] Dead

Out of the mists pour rats on the heals of skeletal wolves in the center. The Rats, feeling the chill ahead part: Those within 40 ft of the walls turning to scamper vertically while those in the center, compelled to advance, experience the wounders of cryogenics. The wolves move forward heedless of the chill (immune) but only one survives the forbidence to reach the psion.

Da Map
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldA6a.png
All surviving rats are climbing on the walls at between 20 and 30ft high. figure the cavern wall is DC 20 to climb, but the rats have a climb speed and can take 10 for 21.

The energy wall height is unlisted, so I'm assuming it's the same as a Wall of Fire (20 ft tall)

I'm assuming the torch "not in view of portal" was actualy "not in view of mists". If anything was mis-located feel free to move it before the next round.

The everburning torches for B3 and H3 could not be placed with the energy wall active. All the rats

Edit... that isn't the proper map. One moment.

Edit Edit: Fixed.

NM020110
2010-07-05, 10:32 AM
That wolf is rather...close. I'll manifest telekinetic thrust (defensively) to throw it back 90 feet. It's a skeleton, so it is probably fairly light, so I'll affect as many rats as I can by throwing the ones at the bottom first 90 feet towards the top wall. Throw the rats on the topmost wall down at an angle so they end up on the left side of the forbiddance. The cohort and minions shoot anything that (un)lives. Everything affected can attempt a DC 20 will save to not become a ragdoll.

concentration check: [roll0] If it is over 18, then I succesfully manifest it.

If the wolf gets chucked, I'll then stand up. If it doesn't get chucked, then I'll stand up and eat the attack of opportunity.

Eurus
2010-07-05, 05:52 PM
Sir Lawrence moves to the southwest corner of O-7, and zaps himself with his wand of Enlarge Person. Mukmuk takes a potshot at the wolf.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-05, 06:15 PM
I'm afraid objects must be within 10ft of each other to be thrown, so you can't throw both the skeleton, the southern rats, and the northern rats.

I'll rule this time that Mukmuk's attack came first, preemptively slaying the wolf allow the Teleknetic Thrust to rip all 8 rats of the southern wall.

[roll0] [roll4]
[roll1] [roll5]
[roll2] [roll6]
[roll3] [roll7]

A few of the rats are killed as they reunited with the ground. Those that survive the relocation promptly die when they enter the forbidance.

Edit... Oh-kay no more rats on the south wall. No more skeleton. The last two surviving rats on the north wall climb to A-7.

NM020110
2010-07-05, 08:12 PM
Minions and cohort take their shots at the rats.
To Hit:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
Critical hit (if applicable):
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
Damage (if applicable):
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]

Champion will head back and keep reinforcing the berm.

Edit: Forgot about the rapid shot penalties. I believe that is -2 to all the attack rolls save the cohorts (the +6).

Psionic Dog
2010-07-06, 05:50 PM
Twang-Twang-Twang-Twang!

It takes four shots, but the rats extermination is complete. ((Less effort than I expected...))

Attack 2 Wave 2 Cleared
Consumed:
4 bolts
1 Enlarge Person charge
5 power points
Damage sustained: 0hp

Next attack is a mini-boss encounter and will arrive in 2d12 minutes.
Any changes to starting position etc?

NM020110
2010-07-06, 06:41 PM
I'll move back to the other side of the pool (H-14). The other two minions will move onto the tower and take advantage of the arrow slits.

First, however, place everburning torches at F7, G3, I3, A3, N3, N8, B9, and J6. Since I stopped concentrating on the wall in that last combat it should dissipate in just under a minute.

Eurus
2010-07-06, 06:51 PM
No changes from me.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-07, 05:43 AM
NM020110, I just noticed you had listed the everburning torches as 50gp each, and while that's the cost for a caster to personally craft them they are 110 gp to purchase from someone else. This means you'd 'only' have 45 rather than the originally stated 100.

---------------------------------------

Zombies
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

and... I seem to have run out of time. Next update in 10 hours.

NM020110
2010-07-07, 09:53 AM
That is probably enough to make the battlefield "well lit". Anything else?

Psionic Dog
2010-07-07, 03:53 PM
Possibly, but not that I've noticed.

Bug Zapper Rolls
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

[roll6] [roll7] / 2
[roll8] [roll9] / 2
[roll10] [roll11] / 2

Four large humanoid skeletons rush out of the mists to challenge the defenders. These skeletons have been wrapped with flayed humanoid hide (leather armor), and even though three strike the Forbiddance all survive. They are each followed by a swarm of spiders, but the three spider swarms to enter the Forbidden area crumble to dust.

A Knowledge (Geography or Nature) can identify the creatures now, otherwise I'll note their type after the attack ends.

I am now declaring Jarian on hiatus. You may control her hero automatically without delay. This will last until either she resumes posting or I declare her defenders stricken with the Vanishing Flue and consider bringing in an alternate.

Oh, and Map
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/ZombieBattleFieldA7.png

NM020110
2010-07-07, 08:19 PM
I'm going to be placing another torch in M6 after this is done.

A correction to the map: Minions 3 and 4 are in the tower taking advantage of the arrow slits. All minions will fire on the skeleton-like thing in F6, switching to the C6 skeleton if the F6 one is destroyed/killed. Bard will use inspire courage to provide minions one and two with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage. Jarian will (unless someone objects) attempt to turn the skeletons. Holding a ruler up against my screen suggests that a line between my champion and the swarm will include the skeleton outside of the forbiddance. If the skeleton still lives, and hasn't been turned, then I will use an energy bolt(fire) on them both. If the skeleton in that line was turned or destroyed I will use telekinetic force to lift the skeleton at C6 into the air, and shout for fire to be held on that skeleton. If the archers somehow destroy it and the two skeletons have been turned I will telekinetic thrust the swarm through the forbiddance such that they end up on said zones left side and call it a dead mini-boss round.

That should wrap up my actions, so here are the rolls with the path of action noted.

Minion shots at F6, then C6 skeleton (using rapid shot):
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Minion damage:
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

Jarian turning:
[roll16]
[roll17]

In the event of the proper scenario for using energy ray(fire) comes up:
[roll18]

Saves are reflex (DC 19) for the energy bolt and will (DC 20) for the telekinetic stuff. For the telekinetic force I'm going to move it twenty feet straight up and start trying to telekinetically break it.

Out of curiosity will the forbiddances dissipate if the vanishing flue strikes?

I don't seem to be finding it, so how high is the ceiling?

Since we put the forbiddance in retroactively, will the enemy deployments start reflecting that next round or two rounds after Jarian arrived?

Eurus
2010-07-10, 02:22 PM
Sir Lawrence attacks the skeleton in front of him, and retreats 5 feet to the northeast.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Mukmuk fires at the same.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Lawrence's minions concentrate their fire on the same skeletons as the other minions, or on the skeleton in front of Sir Lawrence if those ones are destroyed.

[roll4] (Subtract range penalties)
[roll5] + [roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8] + [roll9]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-10, 05:32 PM
Jarian opens up with a Greater Turn Undead, utterly destroying the southern two skeletons, and all the ranged attackers open fire on the F-6 Skeleton.

The crosbowman open fire first, and watch as 4 bolts strike hard enough for damage. They are followed by slingers, who strike but once. However the final sling stone is too much for the skeleton stressed by the forbidence and preceding bolts.

The last skeleleton advances to C-12.
The last swarm advances to ti Sir Lawrance's position (provoking an AoO) and attempt to engulf him.

[roll0] + Fort vs poison.

OOC

On the Vanishing Flue:
If a player is replaced any terrain improvements/spells are instantly undone unless the replacement was capable of producing them as well.

The Vanishing Flue is different, and is what occurs if a character is removed without replacement. If the Vanishing Flue stirikes, both the Hero and Cohort of the afflicted group is removed from play, but all of their equipment remains behind for looting and their cohorts are split between the survivng players for control. In the case of the Vanishing Flue any spells or effect that performed remain in play.

The cavern is 100 ft high, 150 ft wide, and 300 ft long.

NM020110
2010-07-10, 06:04 PM
I'm going to be placing another torch in M6 after this is done.

A correction to the map: Minions 3 and 4 are in the tower taking advantage of the arrow slits. All minions will fire on the skeleton-like thing in F6, switching to the C6 skeleton if the F6 one is destroyed/killed. Bard will use inspire courage to provide minions one and two with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage. Jarian will (unless someone objects) attempt to turn the skeletons. Holding a ruler up against my screen suggests that a line between my champion and the swarm will include the skeleton outside of the forbiddance. If the skeleton still lives, and hasn't been turned, then I will use an energy bolt(fire) on them both. If the skeleton in that line was turned or destroyed I will use telekinetic force to lift the skeleton at C6 into the air, and shout for fire to be held on that skeleton. If the archers somehow destroy it and the two skeletons have been turned I will telekinetic thrust the swarm through the forbiddance such that they end up on said zones left side and call it a dead mini-boss round.

What is the result of the bolded action?

Edit: I suppose I'll stay where I am and see what develops. That skeleton does not immediately threa...oh. It'll find the second forbiddance if it keeps going...I'll manifest telekinetic thrust to dash it against the wall in A2 dealing 9d6 damage.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-10, 06:46 PM
Uhm... Telekinetic Force only manipulates objects, and Skeletons are classified as undead creatures. I won't force you to waste power points by manifesting it anyway.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-13, 04:23 PM
*pokes*

Whats up? Holidays? Life? Surrendering?

Eurus
2010-07-13, 05:18 PM
Life, mostly. Sorry about that.

Sir Lawrence withdraws 20 feet north into the forbidden zone. Mukmuk fires at the skeleton.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The minions will also fire at the skeleton.

[roll2] (subtract range penalties)
[roll3] + [roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6] + [roll7]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-14, 04:08 PM
*crunch*

I can't remember what the current damage total was, but that should be enough to finish it.

*zap* the swarm tries to follow Sir Lawrence. Enough said.

Attack 3 Wave 2 cleared
Stuff expended: 8 crossbow bolts, 4 sling stones, 1 Greater Undead turning.

Any battle field additions or positioning changes planed before the last attack of the wave?

Eurus
2010-07-14, 04:18 PM
Sir Lawrence will stay where he is, in the Forbidden zone.

NM020110
2010-07-15, 10:40 AM
Place an everburning torch in M6, reload the crossbows, and restock the (I think twenty) shots gone from the ammunition my minions are carrying, leaving about 2445 shots left each(if I recall correctly, figure may need updating).

Also, what kind of undead was that to call for a knowledge (nature) check?

Eurus
2010-07-15, 01:23 PM
Place an everburning torch in M6, reload the crossbows, and restock the (I think twenty) shots gone from the ammunition my minions are carrying, leaving about 1945 shots left each(if I recall correctly, figure may need updating).

Also, what kind of undead was that to call for a knowledge (nature) check?

Actually, not all of the enemies are undead, just something like 80 or 90%. Some are animals or vermin.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-15, 04:25 PM
Oh it was obviously a Skeleton of some sort, the check was just in case you were curious as to what it was when it was still alive.

Anyway, with it safely dead a little research and investigation leads the heros to conclude that they were Troll Skeletons.

Zombies March Again
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-15, 04:38 PM
Dice Rolls
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

The zombies are slower than usually in their arrival, and the defenders have plenty of time to consider their plans. But come the zombies did as zombies will, two great Minatur Zombies holding axes flanking a huge fiendish viper!

Da Map
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldA8.png

NM020110
2010-07-17, 05:09 PM
Hmmm...this is rather worrying...I doubt that I can use my powers on that viper, and it doesn't look like anything else I have will take it out...I could use astral construct, but I feel that it should be kept in reserve...Minions and cohort will shoot the northern minotaur zombie, while I wait where I am to see if I could do anything to this one.

Have Jarian wait until the minotaur is closer before using the wave of holy zombie annihilation.

rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
<insert 1d20+6 here.>
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16] 1d8+1...

Eurus
2010-07-17, 07:33 PM
Mukmuk zaps the viper.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sir Lawrence uses a charge of his Wand of Enlarge Person, and moves 20 feet northwest.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-18, 07:54 AM
[roll0] [roll1]

The arrows fall, but inflict only modest damage on the zombies.

The north zombie continues it's lurch forward to C-6, while the southern makes a charge North East toward Sir Lawrance.
[roll2] [roll3]

The snake also South East to attack Sir Lawrance as well.
[roll4] [roll5] + poison

The snake and zombie have 10ft reach, if Lawrances reach is longer an AoO may be taken.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-18, 07:56 AM
Thats a bit of bad luck.
[roll0]
[roll1]

NM020110
2010-07-19, 06:16 PM
I'd say that that is enough to shock me into taking action. I manifest telekinetic thrust(overchanneling for one extra manifester level) on the snake, sending it up into the ceiling so it lands five feet from Eurus. That will be (for the viper) [roll0] damage from slamming into the ceiling, the bug zapper damage (Will: [roll1], Damage [roll2], and SR [roll3]), and another [roll4] from slamming into the ground, right in range for a full attack.

Minotaur gets the same deal, if it's within ten feet of the viper (I can't really tell by your description). [roll5] from the ceiling, Will [roll6] Damage [roll7], and [roll8].

I take [roll9] damage from using this. I empower it as necessary to launch the target(s).

Standard hail of bolts and arrows from the minions.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-20, 07:25 PM
*pokes Eurus*

@NM020110.
Power fails, I think. Those creature are heavy, the viper is at least 2,000 lbs and the zombie 600.

Also, It seems suspiciously out of place for a psionic power to deal d6/level damage, will negates, with no extra pp consumption as a 3rd level power. Everything else requires extra pp for extra damage, so I think it best if we say the power can't lift creatures more than 10ft vertically.

NM020110
2010-07-20, 10:13 PM
Since it was 10 feet per manifester level, it was worth a shot. As for the weight...that will pose a severe problem...I suppose I waste the turn trying to lift them, unless you would be willing to allow a check to see if I can realize that it is stupid to do so...
[roll0] add the appropriate modifier. Edit: Supposed to be +0, not +19...I don't think I made that check...
In the event of that save succeeding, I'll just use a full power astral construct (overchanneling for two extra ML) for a sixth level construct with the muscle and power attack abilities appearing beside Eurus and full-attacking the minotaur. That's [roll0][roll1] for the attack rolls and [roll2][roll3] for the damage. If I don't make the save or it is disallowed I'll do that next turn.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-22, 05:02 PM
Campaign News flash. See OoC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8976088#post8976088).

NM020110
2010-07-22, 05:23 PM
OOC: Errr...<twitchy eye...must...not...use...nova...tactics...>

Oh, yes, and I'm going to poke Eurus and Jarian using some of the sharpened stakes I came in with (I should have about...8000 to 100000 of them...)

Psionic Dog
2010-10-14, 10:29 AM
Hello. Anyone still reading this?

I just had 2 players in another thread ask if the game was going to continue, so now I'm dropping notices in each thread to find out who still has held out hope that the game hasn't died.

If you want the grind to continue please drop in to the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9549969#post9549969)