PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Marathon: Group B

Psionic Dog
2010-05-21, 06:22 PM
Zombie Marathon: Group B

Danger: Do not feed the Zombies a small sign posted in front of the portal solemnly reads. There the the local earl and county mayor shake each hand and hand you the "Rod of Closure" as they call it. After a refreshingly short speech is given ("Thank you for your help. There's a 30,000 gp bonus for the group if you succeed. Don't get eaten.") you step through the portal.

On the far side you find a sparkling cavern with a faint hint of a glow from illumines fungi scattered across the cavern roof and walls. Pretty as it is, those of you who can't see by starlight (low light vision/dark vision) can't see much beyond your own light sources. In the dimmer areas cave mushrooms grow, and in the brighter patches moss and ferns have taken root. As caves go this one isn't so bad... or wouldn't be if it weren't for the the steady drip of water drumming out the time until undead horrors emerge from the unearthly mists.

The Juicy Details:
On days 1-5 the PC's face CR 7 attacks generated by combining three CR 4 groupings, with one attack in every second wave being CR 8 and made of two CR 5 groupings and a CR 4 group.

On days 6-10 the PC's face CR 8 attacks generated by combining three CR 5 groupings, with one attack in every second wave being CR 9 and made of 2 CR 5 groups and 3 CR 4 groups.

The CR 5 groups will remain a surprise to add dramatic tension to your early mini-boss encounters, but below is the CR 4 table for your planing convenience.

{table]#|CR 4 Groupings
1|1x Huge Fiendish Viper
2| 4x Spider Swarms
3| 12x Dire Rats
4| 1x Vampire Spawn
5| 1x L2 Kobold Sourcer Ghost*
6| 4x Ghouls
7| 1x Minotaur Zombie
8| 4x Troglodyte Zombies
9| 8x Human Commoner Zombies
10| 2x Owlbear Skeletons
11| 4x Wolf Skeletons
12| 12x Human Skeletons[/table]

*L2 Kobold Ghost Sourcer:
HP 18 AC: 17
[(6), 15, - , 12, 8, 19]
Always Manifested, Corrupting Gaze (DC 15 Fort), Frightful Moan (DC 15 Will)
Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Ray of Frost, Daze, Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance

The Map:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/ZombieBattleField.png
Each square is 10x10 ft.

The Obsidian Road:
Somehow they forgot to mention this feature: A 12 ft wide fussed obsidian once smooth road leading from the portal out into the black mists.

Vegetation:
Nothing grows on the road, but everywhere else has a 50% chance of having cave mushrooms in dimmer areas or cave moss and ferns if brighter areas. No where is the vegetation thick enough to provide anything bigger than a mouse with concealment.

The Black Mists:
The fuzzy purple bar on the left. The mooks appear here.

The Pond:
Sky-blue = shallow water.
Dark-teal = deep water. The pool is 9 ft deep at the deepest point.

The Berm:
15 ft tall with a 10ft wide flat top and 10ft wide slopes. Once the berm may have been a slippery sandy-shale, but with time the gravel as fussed. DC 10 climb check required to scale, except at the stairs (C-17)

The Grand Portal:
Located at far right. If the portal opens and a mook walks through rocks fall and everyone dies.

The Pedestal: (H-27)
4 ft tall with steps on the western side. From here the Rod of Sealing can close the portal for 1 hour. Multiple uses over lap, so the villagers suggest you renew he seal every half hour to be safe.

Tower blueprints
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Tower.png The tower is actually only 35 ft wide, although it is the full promised 25 ft tall. The tower map is on a 5x5 ft square scale.

Doors are marked by wide rectangles.

Arrows slits are marked by narrow solid-dark rectangles. These arrow slits have been widened to allow for slings at the cost of only a +6 AC cover bonus to the defender. The arrow slits also come with 1/2" thick shutters that can be closed over them.

The Front Door:
These double doors are together 10ft wide and 12 ft tall. The front door is built from 2.5" thick oak, and has 25 HP with a Hardness 5 when the double backing bars are set it has a DC 23 to break. The door is flush with the outer walls so that attackers will not have a doorway to take cover within.

1st Floor (on left)
The ground floor has a 15 ft ceiling (less rafters) to accommodate large sized creatures. The walls are 3ft thick masonry with no windows on the ground floor, but there are 8 tiny barred vent for ventilation near the ceiling with wire mesh to prevent even a rat from slipping through. Vents are marked by the pale small rectangles.

1: Vestibule
At least, that's what it once was. Some paranoid renovator in centuries past added three arrow slits pointed at the door to make this room an extra line of defense.

2: Stables.
A place for mounts to sleep, and either a carriage or a large guest to sleep. The room contains two ruff stalls and two stale bales of hay.

3: Storage room.
Also contains stairs leading upwards. Someone left a short bow, 40 arrows, 40 torches, a flint-steel, and 5 days of firewood here.

The 2nd Floor (on right)
The second floor outer walls are thinner (a foot thick) and contain 11 arrow-slits in the place of windows.

4: Kitchen.
This corner room has a small wood-stove, table, a small spice rack, and other basic equipment to feed 6-12 men.

5: Common Room
This room contains a pair of spindle chairs and a ladder bolted to the wall leading up to a trapdoor in the roof. A continual flame keeps this room perpetually lit.

6: Office
This room contains a simple desk, a modest chair, and a book shelf. All empty except for the odd cobweb.

7: Officer Bedroom
This room contains a simple tapestry, a small dresser, and a pair of bunked beds (no bedding) for the tower commander(s).

8: Armory
Nothing remains except for a weapon rack.

9: Barracks
Living quarters for the common soldier this has 3 pairs of bunked beds (no bedding), a broken cabinet, and a bucket.

The Roof:
The flat-topped roof is 35ft to a side and surrounded by a low wall (2.5 ft tall, 1 ft thick masonry) and is accessed by a trap door with ladder. There is also a noted hemp rope coiled neatly in a corner with on end attached to an iron bracket in the roof.

Interior walls and flooring are 6" thick masonry, and interior doors are 1.5" thick wood with simple locks.

Doors: Hardness 5:
Front: 25 hp, 23 Break DC
Interior/Trapdoor: 15 hp, 18 Break DC
Shutters: 5 hp, 15 break DC.

Walls: hardness 8:
Ground Floor outer: 360 hp, DC 40 break
2nd floor outer: 120 hp, DC 30 break
Interior/Floors: 90 hp, DC 25 break

Current Time: 47 hours until the undead strike.
Party Status:
All healthy and rested.

Lin Bayaseda (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8475515&postcount=29)
sum1won (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8490236&postcount=75)
Pelfaid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8513790&postcount=95)

No expendables used.

Most Recent Map Update
Round 4 of Attack 1, Wave 2
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldB7.png

sum1won
2010-05-23, 02:48 PM
Battlefield Solutions and Redesign Incorporated arrives on time, trundling behind them two large wagons full of equipment. CEO Tomas surveys the battlefield briefly, before coming to a decision.

Right. See that berm? It needs shoring up on the eastern side. Jon, I need you to take Dignified and Digtective to make that vertical. Use your stoneshape spells to keep it from spilling down again, and see if you can't smooth it out some while you're at it. Once you've done that, let me know. Maybe a soften stone, to turn it into clay would make it easier. When you have some free time, come help me with the wall

With that, Tomas turns to his other two minions and says
Dignimite and Jean-Claude, you're with me. We're gonna connect the tower to the cavern wall today. Dig a 5' wide ditch connecting the tower to the wall. Be sure to take out the stone in nice square blocks, since I'll be putting together a wall just behind you.

Taking ten on mining and craft: Stonemasonry, if that's alright.

Note: The kobolds will work 8 hours, rest 8 hours, work 8 hours, rest 8 hours. The second check by the two kobolds with Tomas will make the ditch 10' deep. Tomas and Jon have rings of sustenance, allowing them to work twice a day, and be rested before the first wave.

Jon and tomas can do 8 5 foot tall/wide, 1 foot thick wall sections a craft check. That is plenty to put together a 10 foot tall wall behind the ditch, connecting the tower to the cavern in the first day.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-23, 06:18 PM
If you need demolition and digging services, I can assist with as many Eldritch Blasts as needed.

Pelfaid
2010-05-23, 09:46 PM
Aramil looks over the work being done and then hurries over to the halfling giving the orders.

So sorry about my tardiness, I was deciding on which spells would be the most beneficial. As of now I have several that I think would be most useful, especially given the work you are currently doing. Tell me, where would you like some stone walls.

Also, I think it would be wise if we had some light down range, maybe we could decide where would be best to place it. And if you happen to have some wood in your wagons I have some runes that may be useful.

Aramil has the following relevant spells prepped. Level 5: Wall of Stone x4 (3-in thick, 10 - 5-ft squares). Level 3: Explosive Runes x4. Level 2: Continual Flame x5

sum1won
2010-05-23, 10:57 PM
Blasting? See if you can break up the rocks where we're digging, makes it easier. Maybe you can smash up that road, too. Could be we could use some nice, sharp chunks of obsidian.

As for you, Sir Wizard... If you can seal the gap between tower and wall with a nice 10 foot stone wall, I'd appreciate it. After that, we'll see where we are. If you have more castings, maybe later in the day, making the berm as smooth as possible where we've shored it up would help.

I brought a set of bullseye lanterns that should light things fairly well, but they always leave gaps Once we get 'em set up, just try to fill 'em in. I don't have spare lumber, but I do have an empty barrel, and some ladders. I can break those down for parts if you'd like.

Right, then. Dignimite, Jeanclaude. Change of plans- you two are going to cut a nice 10 wide,10 deep, 30' long pit in front of the nice wizard's wall. It'll take you the next two days, so get cracking. I'll be using your stone to square out the corner of the berm and extend the wall of the tower so we only have a 15 foot gap between the berm and the tower.

Pelfaid, I wound up changing my character to human, so not a halfling anymore...
Team B: I can accomplish all of the manual labor for the pit and Tomas's wallbuilding (craft, mining checks) with time to spare. I'm not sure exactly how long shoring up the berm will take, so that's up to the DM. I'm sure pelfaid's wizard has plenty of spell-juice to spare, but I'm not sure where his stuff should go. Also, one casting of Wall of Stone will make a wall as large as I described, 2 inches thick. I'd make the wall 6 or so inches thick, so 3 castings
Finally, for the DM specifically: Is it possible for them to make the pit a great big trap by covering it with canvas and whatnot? My kobolds have ranks in craft: trap. And I have the needed materials.

Psionic Dog
2010-05-24, 07:33 PM
12 hours slowly pass by in the humid depths of the cave marked only by the clink of tools, arguing of voices, and that maddening drip of water. Drip... drip... drip... drip...

For the first 8 hours or kobolds under the direction of Tomas the Thumper set to work digging, while Bolan and Aramil set to work with spells. Even Paddy O'Warlock wades in, blasting the tougher patches to loosen the earth. Eventually however all involved are forced to rest and in the ever clearer stillness the water continues to drop drip... drip... drip... drip... each drop crying out "They Come"... "They Come"...

----------------------------------

36 hours until the undead uprising.

If you wish to add additional actions or modify previously listed plans now is your final chance: Tomorrow I'll post the conclusion to the defense preparations, at which point the defenders will check in, announce prepared spells and locations, and any very final actions they wish to take and when before the first wave arrives 2d12 minutes later.

Preparations Complete:
Digging:
Paddy O'Warlock's blasting gives a +2 aid-other bonus. This periodic blasting is easy enough for paddy to assist two different miners at once. I'm assuming this assistance is given to the two miners with the most trouble (those trying to dig through the solid obsidian (-5 check) road in front of the Wall of Stone.)

John & Dignified on the Berm:
John tries a Soften Earth, but discovers that while it makes digging faster it also makes the berm less stable requiring extra time storing up the side. All in all nothing gained, nothing lost.

Together with Stone Shape they carve 20ft long 5ft wide chunk out of the berm, steepening the G-F segment to 15 ft rise in 5 ft: DC 15 to climb. The shale/clay/dirt is dumped in front of the area.

The Tower/Edge Ditch
The single Kobold left on this project manages to dig a 5-ft wide 5-ft deep trench between the tower and the cavern side in column 20.

The Pre-Wall Ditch:
The obsidian road makes this slower. With Paddy O'Warlock's blasting assitance however they manage to each make 3-5ft cubes of progress, digging a 5-ft wide 5-ft deep trench in Row J (16-18) 5-ft away from the new stone wall. On the plus side they were able to save some of the larger chunks of obsidian mined out as possible wall-building material. (1/3 of volume is usable, rest became gravel. Taking -2 for care would improve portion usable rock.)

Everywhere else your miners strike a packed fused blend of limestone, shale, and clay. While this could be used to make bricks or another berm it isn't directly salvageable for use in a stone wall.

The Stone Wall:
Three casting; 2 doubled, one normal backing give a wall 10 ft high 6 inches thick 50 ft long. It runs from I17/J18 to I15/J16 and then up the berm to G15/H16. The wall is anchored at one end to the tower and fuses with the berm so that the top edge rises gently to become flush with the top of the berm anchoring it at that end too.

The wall has Hardness 8, 90 hp, DC 32 break, and DC 20 climb.
Other Questions:
Traps: Yes you may.
If you want a professional looking reusable trap see the monster manual for pit traps. If you're doing your own digging, treat the pit as only 10ft deep for to find the cost and time requirements of the trap door.

However, an improvised covered pit can be made with twice as much canvass as the pit area (200 sq ft for a 10x10 pit) + some sort of support wood or rope. The result however would be easy to notice: DC 5 search or DC 15 spot, but only creatures with a functioning brain would be on the lookout.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-24, 07:38 PM
John McAdept, Boris Adeptovich, Giovanni Adepti and Ingrid Adeptsdottir cast Create Water spells as often as possible during those 48 hours, and save the water in whatever containers are available. Once the Zombies are ready to arrive, they switch all their level 0 slots for Cure Minor.

sum1won
2010-05-25, 02:50 AM
Tomas provides a spare barrel to hold water in. Predictably, he then begins to bark orders again.

Right. That ditch in front of his wall is enough to stop 'em from charging, which should do for now. If we have time between attacks and resting, we can always expand it.

That means that Dignimite is to help Dignified and Bolan (Was calling him John, whoops!) with shoring up the berm. He should be able to finish it with your help, no problem. If you finish ahead of time, work on expanding the pre-wall ditch around the berm, right in front of it. Bolan, if you could spare one of your shape-stone spells, I need you to make a gate of sorts for me to put in the wall. Something nice, and thick, that we can open and close. I'll help rework the stone so it can be properly hung, and since it'll be heavy as all hell, we can break out our block and tackles for when they need shuttin'. Hell, see if you can't make something to replace those oaken doors in front of the tower. We can use the wood for somethin'

Digtective, you'll be helping Jean-Claude with his pit-digging near the edge. With your help, he should finish in plenty of time, and maybe make it deeper, too, especially if your warlock friend is helping with the blastin'. Make sure to spend some time getting ready to cover it up with with canvas with rope supports.

I'll try to find the time to make some low earthworks behind the big pit south of the tower. Maybe use some of that obsidian stuff, or even the crap you guy's have been bringing up Some kinda wall to keep 'em from swarming right past the pit trap...

Wizard, if you want to make your wall level with the berm, be my guest. And here, place these bullseye lanterns at 30 foot intervals on the berm, wall, and tower edge near the pit. Cast yer' light spell where there are any gaps. If you can cast your stone spell to create some cover on the berm, do that too.

And the rest of you louts who've been lounging around the place. Make yourself useful, and help my boys dig. We got two wagons for you to haul stuff in, and a block and tackle for each for the heavy stuff. Once you get the rock, dump it in some out of the way corner behind the wall. Or just get your hands dirty down in the pits. When my boys get tired, they can lend you their gear.

Oh, and Bolan. Don't forget to use that Hallow scroll we picked up. Cast it 10 feet west and 10 feet north of the northwestern corner of the tower. That should give us good central coverage (radius 40). In the mean time, try softening up the stuff in front of the fortifications with a couple castings of Soften Earth. 5 castings should turn it all into mud.

Soften earth castings: 6(level) ten foot squares, 5 castings= 300 feet long strip- enough area to cover it twice. First casting turns it to clay, the second to mud/loose dirt that cannot be charged through. Bolan can burn a turn undead to cast domain spells spontaneously. Soften earth is one.

Minions/cohorts borrowing equipment should manage to move a cube or two per turn, depending on their wis modifiers, and the help they might get from casters and eachother.

Psionic Dog
2010-05-26, 05:55 PM
Time passes in the humid air, marked by shouted orders, the concussions of warlock blasting, and the drip of water when everyone pauses to rest.

John McAdept, Boris Adeptovich, Giovanni Adepti and Ingrid Adeptsdottir each spend a day full of spells casting Create water, enough to generate 144 gallons of fresh water. Where they will put the water is another question...

Paddy O'Warlock switches to assist the tower/wall ditch crew, when that group strikes solid granite 6ft down. Tomas and Paddy manage to round up enough of the other minions to provide enough assistance on that project with dirt carrying. Between the extra hands and Paddy's blasting that crew manages to maintain a steady digging pace despite the harder rock.

The berm slows slightly as Bolan spends more time rushing back and forth doing other spell projects, but with Dignimite's help they manage to finish with enough time to spend half a work cycle on the pre-ditch wall. Unfortunately the only way for Bolan to remake the tower door would be to cut a chunk out of the stone wall so the tower door is still wood. On the plus side he is able to reshape the wall to add a 4" thick stone pivoting stone door to the wall at I/J17 along the old road.

Then the zombies come. At the moment all you hear are echos - impossible to judge the exact distance - but it is clear that the undead rising will begin soon. You all have a few final minutes to prepare.

-------------------------------------------------------
Please declare starting location and what and when what preparations, if any you wish to make before the zombies arrive. If your preparations would be cast in 10 minutes but the zombies arrive in 5 then those preparations never happen.

Zombies arrive in 2d12 minutes.

Preparations Complete:
Water Castings:
4 adepts using all 6 spell slots to generate 6 gallons per spell = 144 gallons of water. Storing the water is tricky: I'll assume 30 gallons per barrel and 2 gallons per bucket available plus any other containers. You find enough stuff in the tower to store 34 gallons of clean water. If you can find space for the other 110 gallons among yourselves, good. Otherwise it adds another half inch to the pond.

The Berm:
The entire west side of the berm has been steepened to a 15 ft rise in 5ft, DC 15 climb.

The Pre-Wall Ditch
Dignimite and Dignified lengthen this another 15 ft. In now stretches from J18 to J15 covering the wall's entire south side and curves 5ft north toward the berm.

The New Wall Door:
At 7 ft tall and 6 ft wide it's big enough for a large creature to squeeze through when open. The door is 4" thick, hard 8, 60 hp. Opening or closing the door is a Full-Round action on a DC 12 strength check, although a large creature could open/Close the door as a standard action. Battering down the door when bolted shut would take a DC 25 check.

The South Pit/Ditch
A trench 10ft wide and 20ft deep now fills Column 20 from the tower to the cavern edge. The dirt/gravel from the pit is dumped behind the pit creating a small berm 15ft wide and 5 ft high, with a pile of larger rocks useful for construction 15ft long 5ft wide and 5ft high further back against the wall. No work has started on the pit covering however.

I think that's everything. If I missed something just shout out.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-26, 06:27 PM
Shooter Rangerberg is at the top of the berm, probably G15, bow at the ready. With his Far Shot feat he can hit any spot on the map (except what's obscured by the tower) at no penalty. Wolfie is by his side, ready to charge on command (100' on a charge action).

Paddy O'Warlock is at the top of the tower, I19. Similarly, with Eldritch Spear he can reach any spot on the map with an Eldritch Blast. The shield is lying by his side (not used, hence no spell failure chance), and he has pre-cast Spider Climb, Dark One's Own Luck (Fortitude), and See the Unseen.

John McAdept and Boris Adeptovich - tower ground floor, looking through arrow slits, crossbows ready.
Giovanny Adepti - next to Shooter, ready to assist as a combat medic or shoot his crossbow.
Ingrid Adeptsdottir - next to Paddy, same.

So, Ingrid ... once this is all over, would you like to, uhm, get a cup ...
Absolutely.

sum1won
2010-05-27, 01:01 AM
Tomas looks up, and around.

Right, our first wet run. I'll keep Shooty company atop the wall.

Bolan, you watch the pit with Dignimite.

Digtective, come with me.
Jean Claude and Digtective, why don't you take rest this one out. You'll need the sleep, so we'll take it in shifts. Aramil, I suggest you join them for this one.

One prep you missed was the use of the hallow scroll, and the other I didn't see was the 10' row of softened earth 5' ahead of the earthworks (prevents running/charging.)
Also, I have 3 spare barrels for water, since we didn't wind up breaking any of them up yet. I believe each holds 75 gallons, although I've been using 60 as a more reasonable size for a barrel. The other bunch hold oil (3) and food (2).

I assume the lanterns and continual light spells are set up to provide us with more or less continuous illumination.

Prepared spells:
Adepts: 1 cure minor wounds, 2 mendings, 3 cure light wounds (1d8+5)

Bolan:
Level 0:
Create Water X2
Cure minor Wounds X2
Light X1
Level 1:
Magic Stone (Domain spell)
Lesser Vigor X2
Shield of Faith
Hide from Undead
Level 2:
Soften Earth and Stone (Domain Spell)
Lesser Restoration X2
Spiritual Weapon
Silence
Level 3:
Searing Light (Domain Spell)
Dispel Magic
Magic Circle Against Evil X2

EDIT: Is there enough time for minions to rig up a covering for the pit? Pitons, a bit of rope, and some canvas (600 square feet) should cover it. Or simply canvas with the edges weighed down a bit with rocks. Step on it, you fall in.

Pelfaid
2010-05-27, 03:10 PM
Hmm, is it that time already? Alright, Thane take the archers to the tower, shoot anything undead until it stops moving. And Tomas, while I agree that I should probably rest, I think I would rather join in on this first one.

Sorry about not posting, classes have started back up. I will update my character sheet later tonight with what spells I have prepared.

If my cohort and minions run out of crossbow bolts we are doing it wrong, they each have thousands. :smallsmile:

Psionic Dog
2010-05-27, 06:11 PM
[roll0] minutes later...

ZOMBIES!!

Those with low-light vision sound the alarm first as 20 undead come lurching out of the mists in your direction. Sixteen of the creatures appear to have once been human, but are now gangrene green. They make slow forward lurching progress toward you as if played by invisible strings. Those are zombies. They are followed by four ghouls who are demonstrating their improved intelligence by shuffling behind the zombies, using the shambling horrors as cover as they lick there lips and give a war-cry: BRAINS!!

--------------------------------------------
See Spoiler.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldB1.png

Welcome to Zombie Marathon Combat. Hopefully the game will speed up from here on out, so hang on for the ride. :smallcool:

The map above shows the 18 defenders, the 20 attacking undead, and current illumination levels. I apologize for the poor labeling on units: I'll be working to improve that, although I may have to switch to colored dots and a map key.

If the defenders wish to declare themselves holding lit torches they found in the tower or brought I'll permit that this time.

Bright Yellow Ciricles: Brightly lit to those with normal vision.
Pail yellow circles: brightly lit to those with low-light vision, shadowy to those with normal.
Everywhere Else: Pitch Black to those without low-light, shadowy to those with low light vision.

There is a 20% miss chance when attacking something in shadowy illumination relative to you.

Anyone with darkvision also has that functioning normally.

Speaking of illumination, I tossed out two bulls-eye lanterns and three ever burning torches. Feel free to move them or add more during or between combat.

Everyone has 24 hour to post. After that time your team mates may post actions for your characters. Either Light_Hero or I will update the combat once we have actions fro every non-sleeper. If 48 hours pass we will declare sub-optimal actions any character without an action to keep the game moving.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-27, 06:41 PM
Paddy O'Warlock can see clearly, thanks to See the Unseen.

He sends a Chained Blast at the two zombies covering for the ghouls (I3/J3).

Primary attack [roll0] vs. touch AC, damage [roll1]
Secondary attack [roll2] vs. touch AC, damage [roll3]

Anyone hit must make REF 21 save or catch fire.

Question: if they catch fire, do they provide illumination? :smallbiggrin:

The rest hold their action.

sum1won
2010-05-27, 08:46 PM
Crap. Should have brought a crossbow with me, or perhaps a personal light.
Digtective, leave your crossbow, ammo, and longspear here, and run back and grab another crossbow and one of our spare bullseye lanterns. Deliver one to Bolan, too.

He then takes his minion's dropped crossbow, and fires at the first critter he has a good sight on.

Dignimite readies his crossbow to the same deadly purpose.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Nonmagic bolts probably won't be worth spit, but....

Pelfaid
2010-05-28, 03:33 PM
Seeing the Blast from Paddy, Aramil sends Fireball towards the other group of Ghouls. (C3/D3)

[roll0] Fire damage
DC 20 reflex for half

Psionic Dog
2010-05-28, 06:56 PM
Despite Paddie's bragging he doesn't actually see the zombies, and the invocation goes wide.

Thomas fires his crossbow as soon as the zombies shamble into the torch light, but while he scores a strike in the chest of one zombie it appears to have no effect.

Aramil on the other hand had a flashier success: With low light vision he(?) was able to see the shadowy forms of the undead and lobbed a fire-ball into the middle of one zombie pack. The dull-witted zombies paused to stare at the little glowing ball speeding toward them, and rapidly become well done one side and medium rare on the other. It's uncertain if the ghouls remembered to duck: the blast was hot enough that ducking wouldn't have helped.

The surviving zombies shamble relentlessly forward another 30 ft, and one of the surviving ghouls takes one extra look at the fire ball and his marching companion before rushing to join the southern group instead.

Explanations:
See the Unseen appears to grant Darkvision and See Invisibility. They aren't invisible so See Invisibility doesn't help. While Darkvision is incredibly useful at short ranges, it typically only has a 60ft range unless otherwise stated making it of limited utility against distant targets. ((If See the Unseen granted 160+ ft dark-vision then I'll refund the damage.))

If the zombies catch on fire they will provide 10ft of shadowy illumination. (bright to those with low-light)

The undead have advanced to Column 6.
The CD group has been destroyed.
The FG group has entered the lamp light.
The IJ group is still in the dark and has one ghoul.
The LM group is still in the dark and has one ghoul.

Play On. :smallcool:

sum1won
2010-05-28, 07:16 PM
Tomas sits down disgustedly. He clearly has no interest in firing on undead that he can't hurt with his bow.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-28, 07:40 PM
Definitely ... need ... moar ... light.

Chained Blast at the two bottom zombies in the FG group, and Shooter sends some flaming arrows at the top zombie at the FG group; if he downs him before running out of shot, will continue to the second zombie from the top.

For miss chance, if applicable, 1 on 1d5 misses.

Primary blast [roll0], [roll1] touch, damage [roll2]
Secondary blast [roll3], [roll4] touch, damage [roll5]; as usual, anyone hit must make a REF 21 save or catch fire.
Flaming arrows, rapid fire mode
[roll6], [roll7], damage [roll8]+[roll9]
[roll10], [roll11], damage [roll12]+[roll13]
[roll14], [roll15], damage [roll16]+[roll17]

Pelfaid
2010-05-28, 08:56 PM
While glorious I don't think I should do that very often.
Focusing inward, Aramil summons an Elemental from the Plane of Fire.

Using Summon Elemental to summon a small Fire Elemental in J14. It will last for 5 rounds.
And yes elf so Low light vision.

I believe that should provide some light when it gets here.

Psionic Dog
2010-05-29, 06:36 AM
Paddie and Shooter finally get a chance to shine, as the warlock hurls forth a double plast of Eldritch power and the ranger unleashes a flurry of arrows.

Paddie's first shot misses, but the second strikes true with enough power to utterly destroy the zombie. Each of Shooter's strikes hit, and between the heat of their flame and the precision of their placement their combined might is enough to make one zombie disintegrate into a messy limp pile.

Brains!! Brains!!! The ghouls shout as they march possibly to intimidate the defenders. Possibly for their own courage, and the diminished undead horde advances another 30 ft as a fire elemental springs forth.

Most recent map has been added to the first page for easy reference. If you ever wish for it to be updated just ask, otherwise I'll update whenever I feel there has been enough character/zombie movement to require a fresh reference display.

The ranger did 12 points of fire and 5 more points of pointy than zombie DR could take, feeding one unlucky zombie 17 points of damage - killing it. Again.

Anyway, the zombies are now in column 9.
The CD group has been destroyed.
The FG group has entered the lamp light. The 2 survivors are in F as they start to circle north around the pond.
The IJ group has entered the lamp light and has one ghoul.
The LM group has entered the lamp light and has one ghoul.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-29, 10:46 AM
Paddie's first shot misses, but the second strikes true with enough power to utterly destroy the zombie.
I'll be honest with you and tell you that if the primary shot of a Chained Blast misses, all other shots fizzle and miss as well. So group F has 3 survivors.

Take down the Ghoul, my minions! Paddy commands.

Paddy will shoot at two zombies of the LM group, the ones covering for the ghoul, while Shooter and his wolf will try to take down the F group survivors. Adepts shoot their crossbows at the ghoul, if/when Paddy clears a path to him.

Primary blast [roll0] touch, damage [roll1]
Secondary blast [roll2] touch, damage [roll3]; as usual, anyone hit must make a REF 21 save or catch fire.

[roll4], damage [roll5]+[roll6]
[roll7], damage [roll8]+[roll9]
[roll10], damage [roll11]+[roll12]

Wolfie charge-attacks [roll13], damage [roll14], if hits opposed Str check to trip [roll15], has -2 AC until next turn due to charging. If succeeds in tripping and tripped zombie attempts to get up on his turn, I will preemptively roll AoO for Wolfie [roll16], [roll17]

Crossbow shots at the ghoul
[roll18], damage [roll19]
[roll20], damage [roll21]
[roll22], damage [roll23]
[roll24], damage [roll25]

sum1won
2010-05-29, 01:16 PM
Tomas grins and shoots when the ghoul becomes an open targets

As do his minions with bows.
For da master!

Been playing overlord lately.

1 misses from shadow...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Pelfaid
2010-05-29, 04:03 PM
Thane and the other crossbowmen take aim at the two ghouls.
Aramil instructs the elemental to move forward and burninate any zombie that comes close.

Ghoul in IJ group
C: Attack: Damage:[roll]1d10+3+2d6
M1: Attack:[roll1] Damage:[roll2]
M2: Attack:[roll3] Damage:[roll4]
Ghoul in LM group
M3: Attack:[roll5] Damage:[roll6]
M4: Attack:[roll7] Damage:[roll8]

Elemental moves to L13, 4 rounds remaining.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-29, 05:18 PM
Sorry, forgot to mentiont that Shooter Rangerber hates undead. Really, really, really hates undead. So add +4 to all his damage rolls in my previous post.

sum1won
2010-05-29, 05:29 PM
I forgot! Tomas also hates the undead, and has improved favored enemy, meaning a +5 to damage against them.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-29, 05:47 PM
*high-five*

Pelfaid
2010-05-29, 06:16 PM
Well...Aramil hates the undead too...doesn't add any damage but still

Psionic Dog
2010-05-29, 06:57 PM
Err, about that wolf charge...
Remember how the berm was steeped to resist climbing zombies? Remember how Bolan carefully laid out a big 'ol patch of softened earth?

Getting off the berm will require either careful climbing or a 15 ft drop. Crossing the soft earth on a charge will require a jump. If you want Wolfie to charge I'm going to need a jump-down check to reducing falling damage from a deliberate jump, 1d6 of falling damage roll in case that fails, and another jump check to vault the anti-charge strip.

Next Pelfaid, about that fire elemental. First, I've decided to allow fire elemental to provide as much light as a torch. Second that feat for free elemental help has this little disclaimer:

Also, you must remain close to the elemental you summon. If at the end of your turn you are more than 30 feet from the elemental, it disappears.

sum1won: congrats on remembering a new way to deal even more damage to my poor defenseless zombies. :smalltongue:
I'll be sure to add that in.

Now one last thing...
Everyone, I need a vote. Its about time I posted a map updated, but the current format makes it rather hard to distinguish one character from another. Do I: (A) Do nothing since everyone else has already memorized what each dot means without needing to see the labels? (B) Make the map a screen-stretching 50% bigger so we can actually read the text labels, or should I (C) switch to color coded circles and get rid of the tiny labels?

Also, in case color codes are added do you want your color to by the same as your speech text or something different?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-29, 07:24 PM
I vote 50%. Ok, Wolfie just descends from the berm safely using the stairs, ending up on H17 or about thereof on a double move.

Pelfaid
2010-05-29, 08:02 PM
I also vote 50%. And since I missed that clause with the feat, I need to come up with a new support strategy...

Edit: Found my strategy and it scares me.

sum1won
2010-05-29, 08:30 PM
50% option is fine by me.

I look forward to hearing about this support strategy.

Psionic Dog
2010-05-30, 06:01 AM
Rolls:
[roll0]
Paddy fires another blast of elderitch power, and this one strikes true, both maiming the zombie and setting it on fire. The blast arcs and strikes a second time, utterly destroying the next zombie in line. The ghoul still has cover from the surviving forward zombies so the crossbowman hold their fire.

Meanwhile Shooter opens up the unlead zombie group: destroying one zombie with his first two arrows and wounding a second with his third.

Thain next directs his group to fire on the ghouls, with M2 and M3 each scoring a hit, although it is insufficient to destroy the creatures.

Tomas and minions, having waited for their companions to clear the way fire on the ghoul anyway when it becomes clear they won't be getting a better shot this round. In an impressive display of archery every shot strikes true, and in total is enough to finish off their already wounded target.

The fire elemental dutifly advances, only to poof out when it leaves range. The wolf at a command from its master circles down into the courtyard behind the stone wall.

The survivng ghoul gives loose a snarl and rushes forward toward the nearest living creature at a hustle passing its zombie bodyguards, but gets slowed in the softened earth well short of the defenders. The zombies maintain their steady advance.

Map Update: (Caution: Screen stretch)
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldB2.png
If this doesn't work I'll switch to color coded circles. Tell me what you think.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-30, 09:28 AM
Shooter does what he can to mop up the E12 zombies. He starts with the injured one, and after downing him, moves to the next one.

both seem to be in the lamplight.
[roll0], damage [roll1]+[roll2]
[roll3], damage [roll4]+[roll5]
[roll6], damage [roll7]+[roll8]

Paddy fires at the M13 zombies.

Primary blast [roll9], [roll10] touch, damage [roll11] <--- ok, this is officially annoying. Twice already missed with the primary blast.
Secondary blast [roll12], [roll13] touch, damage [roll14]; as usual, anyone hit must make a REF 21 save or catch fire.

Minions take aim at the ghoul.

[roll15], [roll16], [roll17]
[roll18], [roll19], [roll20]
[roll21], [roll22], [roll23]
[roll24], [roll25], [roll26]

I'll hold the wolf to see how these rolls go.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-30, 09:40 AM
Wolfie, don't charge! Let him come to you, like I taught you!

Wolfie advances about halfway toward the ghoul and readies an attack to meet the ghoul's charge.

[roll0], [roll1], trip attempt if hits [roll2] (this would be a good time to remind that if the ghoul mindlessly charges, he has -2 AC ...)

sum1won
2010-05-30, 12:00 PM
Tomas grins at the ghoul's plight. You aren't going anywhere soon, ye bastard! Digtective, gimme some light.

Digtective moves the lantern so it fully illuminates the ghoul.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Bah, I should make a sling so I get my second attack each round...

Pelfaid
2010-05-30, 12:21 PM
Thane and Company take aim at the K group of Zombies, while Aramil assists with a wand of Magic Missile.

Thane aims at the topmost zombie in K12. Miss Chance: 1 misses
T: [roll0] Attack:[roll1] Damage:[roll2] + [roll3]
M1 and M2 aim at the other zombie in K12
M1: Attack: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]
M2: Attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7]
M3 and M4 aim at the bottom Zombie in K11
M3: Attack: [roll8] Damage: [roll9]
M4: Attack: [roll10] Damage: [roll11]
Aramil fires at the other.
A: Damage: [roll12]

Not the final support plan. I will put that into effect for the next wave :)

Psionic Dog
2010-05-30, 03:08 PM
Shooter maintains a steady rate of fire. His first shot finishes off the damaged zombie, and his second wounds another. By the third shout he was getting a little overconfident and missed completely.

Paddy hurls another eldritch lance into a zombies shadow (oops) but at least isn't in much danger of running out of amo.

Meanwhile Tomas joins fire with Paddy's minions and two shots strike true downing the last opposing brain cell in the invading wave.

Thane and Company follow up with distributed fire on the largest group of zombies wounding three but downing none.

As everyone pauses to reload the sound of barking can be heard as the wolf sounds it's frustration at the (presumably) shut door in the shiny new stone wall it's on the wrong side of.

The previously lit zombie burns. [roll0] ((How long will it burn))?
Edt: Nevermind. The previously lit zombie burns up and collapse face forward.

The eight seven surviving zombies continue their march toward warm flesh.
LM group is now at column 15.
Group K shambles to K 13/14.
E's sole survivor moves to F13.
There are no more ghouls.

Pelfaid
2010-05-30, 04:03 PM
Aramil, Thane and Company repeat their barrage.
Thane aims at the topmost zombie in K12. Miss Chance: 1 misses
T: [roll0] Attack:[roll1] Damage:[roll2] + [roll3]
M1 and M2 aim at the other zombie in K14
M3 and M4 aim at the bottom Zombie in K13
Aramil fires at the other.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-30, 09:30 PM
For reference, they burn for 1 round, taking 2d6 fire damage. Extinguishing the flames is a full-round action, so it won't bring any relief.

Paddy takes a shot at two L/M15 zombies.

Primary blast [roll0] touch, damage [roll1]
Secondary blast [roll2] touch, damage [roll3]; as usual, anyone hit must make a REF 21 save or catch fire, taking 2d6 the next round.

Shooter polishes off the F13 zombie; if he kills it before running out of shots, will continue to another target, top-to-bottom order.

[roll10], damage [roll11]+[roll12] <--- sorry, forgot how much he hates undead. +4 to each damage roll

Wolfie stands confused.

sum1won
2010-05-30, 09:44 PM
Tomas grins and waves at the nearest "surviving" zombie.

Light-Hero
2010-05-31, 04:21 AM
Paddy takes a shot at two L/M15 zombies.

Shooter polishes off the F13 zombie; if he kills it before running out of shots, will continue to another target, top-to-bottom order.
Paddy Blast two zombies, leaving only burning remains.

Shooter takes two zombies down, remembering the top-to-bottom order.

And M3 and M4 take down their target

Psionic Dog
2010-05-31, 06:01 AM
*scratches head*
Ok, carry last round's wounded... add next barrage of damage, subtract the DR when applicable...

I'm getting a single zombie survivor with only 1 hp left.

Now I suppose I could make y'all fire one more flaming arrow to do the job right, but I think seeing the inevitable that the zombie suffers sympathetic combustion and dies too leaving Group B victorious.

Attack 1 defeated:
Zombie High Water mark: Column 15.
Time To defeat: 5 rounds.
Injuries Sustained: 0hp (the zombies will try harder next time :smallwink:)
Spells Used: (1) 3rd level fire ball, (2) Magic Missiles from Wand.
Ammunition Expended: 12 arrows, 22 bolts

At current rate of fire the group will need to cast 160 fire balls, 320 magic missiles and fire 1,920 arrows and 3,520 bolts.

Anyway, no rest for the weary: already you hear the scraping rumble of an approaching attack. Next assault arrives in (2d12 minutes - 5 rounds).
Take as much or as little time to re-arrange lighting, adjust positions, take naps, etc as you wish that time will allow.

sum1won
2010-05-31, 11:40 AM
Tomas grabs some canvas and begins making slings.

Due to the way the craft rules are set up... I can technically make an infinite number of slings in as little time as I want, since they have 0 cost. Since this is obviously absurd, I leave the DM ruling up to you, the DM. Perhaps a couple hours?
craft check: [roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-31, 11:43 AM
Can we get more light on the 1-10 columns somehow? Maybe move around the light sources or add some? And let's reseal the portal, just in case.

Paddy and his allies keep their positions, except Ingrid is allowed to take a nap on the 2nd floor of the tower. The wolf will also stay where he is, as a last line of defense.

sum1won
2010-05-31, 01:17 PM
Can we get more light on the 1-10 columns somehow? Maybe move around the light sources or add some? And let's reseal the portal, just in case.

Paddy and his allies keep their positions, except Ingrid is allowed to take a nap on the 2nd floor of the tower. The wolf will also stay where he is, as a last line of defense.

We have plenty more bullseye lanterns, and I believe pelfaid has a large number of castings of the continual flame left. Feel free to grab two or three more for that purpose.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-31, 01:42 PM
Ok, let's start with two lanterns at L13 and F13, pointed toward where the undead appear, and see how that goes.

Psionic Dog
2010-05-31, 02:42 PM
Sling crafting:While the materials used to make slings may be almost free (old rags, cloth scraps) I'm going to rule that for construction a sling is considered to require 2.5 sp of labor (1/2 value of cheapest non-free weapons (dart)).

23 * DC 12 * 1cp = 2.76 gp of progress in one day. 2.5 sp cost / 2.76 gp/day * 8 workhours/day = 45 minutes to craft a sling/club/quarterstaff.

Does Thomas wish to start now and work his way though the next 45 minutes worth of encounters or wait until the end of the wave? ((There are 3 more attacks in the current wave each 2d12 minutes apart))

Lanterns:
Setting out the lanterns will take 2 minutes ((or less if someone wishes to calculate the exact number of rounds to unpack, light, and set up two lanterns))

Any other actions planed or anyone planing on starting in a new location?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-31, 02:50 PM
Paddy's quickly scampers down the wall of the tower, sets up the lanterns, and back up the wall to the roof.

sum1won
2010-05-31, 03:02 PM
I'll build the slings after this wave is done.

And, yeah, I think adding a couple lanterns would be a good idea.

Oh, and after this the kobolds will make a disposal pit for the undead remnants. No need for them to stink up the place.

Pelfaid
2010-05-31, 03:40 PM
Aramil heads out and casts Continual Flame at J7. And then he casts it again on a rock.
Does anyone have some rope?

Next time I prepare spells I will prep some more Walls of Stone and begin creating a funnel for the undead.

Psionic Dog
2010-05-31, 04:58 PM
For the first few moments apparently everyone is too busy preparing light to worry about rope, and in the later minutes everyone it too worried about zombies to leave there battle posts.

Eventually (12.5 minutes later) the black mist release a new wave blinking into the unexpected light.

Time to attack: [roll0] minutes.
Attackers: [roll1] + [roll2]

At least, if they had eyes they'd probably be blinking, but the four owlbear skeletons and 8 freshly ripening human zombies only have 6 eyeballs between them. They seem to have no trouble marching toward you anyway...

The Latest Map (Aramil's Glowing Rock not shown)
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldB3.png

Pelfaid
2010-05-31, 05:44 PM
As soon as the Zombies appear, Aramil heads outside and casts Overland Flight on himself.

Assuming someone loaned me some rope can it be said that I have a glowing rock tied to my body?

Duration of Overland Flight: 9 Hours

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-31, 06:43 PM
Shooter fires at the well-lit Owlbear.

[roll0], damage [roll1]+[roll2]

Paddy tries to take out the M3 zombies.

1 on 1d5 misses.
Primary blast [roll9], [roll10] touch, damage [roll11]
Secondary blast [roll12], [roll13] touch, damage [roll14]; as usual, anyone hit must make a REF 21 save or catch fire for 2d6 next round.

Minions and Wolfie hold.

sum1won
2010-05-31, 06:59 PM
Skeletons? I hate skeletons.

Tomas fires at the well-lit owlbear skeleton, drops his bow, and jumps down to G14, drawing his chain as he goes.

His minion is sure to provide him with good lighting by using the held lantern. (Collected during the first group of this wave)

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage
[roll2] Jump check. Should be easy to go forwards 5 feet with 15 feet of downwards room...
[roll3]Tumble check to make sure I land safely, without hurting myself.

As far as attacks of opportunity go, I get them as soon as opponents enter squares I threaten, and as they leave them. (thanks to hold the line feat.)

Pelfaid
2010-06-01, 03:10 PM
So I just noticed that I could have my minions fire out past 120 ft. :smalleek:

So Thane and company fires at Owlbear Skelly in K6

T: Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1] + [roll2]
M1: Attack [roll3] Damage [roll4]
M2: Attack [roll5] Damage [roll6]
M3: Attack [roll7] Damage [roll8]
M4: Attack [roll9] Damage [roll10]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-01, 06:29 PM
As Aramil takes to the air the archers open fire.

The warlock sends a heated shot at a zombies pair and destroys them both: The first broken by the lance and destoryed by the flame and the second battered to dust outright.

Meanwhile the others fire on the brightly lit owlbear. Shooter strikes twice for grievous damage but the large monstrance continues onward. Thomas strikes as well cracking one of the teath in the lower jaw, but it's Thain's undead bane strike that finally break creature as the stressed spine finally shatters leaving a pile of motionlessness broken bones.

The surviving 6 zombies march to column 6.
Owlbear N advances briskly forward. The one in C's path curves slightly as it spy's fresh meat, while F - practically drooling over Thomas - staggers sideways through the shallows as it compromises on solid ground and the shortest path.

Owlbears end in D-11, F-10, and N-12.

Sum1won: That sounds over powered... *reads feat*
Ah, a bonus AoO when charging creatures enter a square you threaten, plus when creatures leave as normal. Alright.

Pelfaid on Glowing Rocks and Ropes:
I think that I already ruled since all everyone else spoke of was rushing to place lanterns in the 1.5 minutes they were guaranteed to have that no one went looking for rope. So it can't be tied to you this time. No reason you couldn't do that before the third attack however.

Also rocks in my experience are heavy oblong object often rounded that require a bit more than a basic knot to attack to a rope. Attaching a rock to yourself by rope is a DC 15 Use Rope(Special Knot).

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 07:28 PM
Seeing the two northernmost owlbears move closer to each other, Paddy knows they can both be hit by the same Chained Blast.

Primary blast D11, [roll0] touch, damage [roll1]
Secondary blast F10, [roll2] touch, damage [roll3]
As usual, for anyone hit, REF 21 or catch fire for 2d6 next round.

Shooter will fire flaming arrows at same owlbears. If they're destroyed, he'll move to the J6 zombies actually, the last remaining owlbear. Roll percentile miss chance for me as applicable.

[roll10], damage [roll11]+[roll12]

sum1won
2010-06-01, 11:59 PM
Tomas picks up a nice big rock- around 15 pounds- and heaves it at the nearest undead monstrosity like a big, gray shotput.

That's around 3 range increments away, and improvised weapon makes it -4, so around -10 to my normal to hit modifier sound reasonable? Improvised weapon chart in CWar gives 15 pounds as lying in the 1d8 weapon range. With that in mind...
[roll0]
[roll1] (+2 strength, +5 for being a hater.)
EDIT: OOOH! And its bludgeoning damage, on account of being a rock!

He then crouches with his chain in both hands, awaiting the first thing to come within reach.

Aldgar
2010-06-02, 06:27 AM
Eldritch Chain's secondary targets take "half damage of the primary target".
This is either 1/2 the damage the primary target took(no rolling required), or 5d6*0.5(rounding down per default rules)

Pelfaid
2010-06-02, 07:30 AM
Seeing how effective the barrage was, Thane and the archers let loose another volley.

Firing at the Owlbear in N12
T: Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]
M1: Attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4]
M2: Attack: [roll5] Damage: [roll6]
M3: Attack: [roll7] Damage: [roll8]
M4: Attack: [roll9] Damage: [roll10]

Aramil, meanwhile flies out to H12 shouting: Please do not shoot the flying wizard.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-02, 10:25 AM
Eldritch Chain's secondary targets take "half damage of the primary target".
This is either 1/2 the damage the primary target took(no rolling required), or 5d6*0.5(rounding down per default rules)
Head, meet desk. How on earth did I miss this clause?

Psionic Dog
2010-06-02, 05:35 PM
Thanks Aldgar for the unobtrusive rule flash.
Rule takes effect next round so the owlbear's take full damage for the last time this round.
--------------------------------------

The northern owlbears are struck first by an arch of eldgrich energy, and for a moment they continue forward... until the flaming arrows by Shooter strike deep into them shattering them both.

It's a good thing that the owlbears die without Tomas needing the rock: There weren't any. Every rock 12 lbs and heavier was carefully collected and stacked behind the southern pit/berm against the south cavern wall for possible construction use. However smaller stones are plentiful enough that at least one can be found in every square.

To the south the N-12 owlbear is pelted by a volley of archer fire and takes four hits, but the broken bones are few and the beast holds together to skuttle another 60ft forward to N-18.

The six surviving zombies all do the zombie lurch another 30 ft forward to column 9 (B, E, J).

Play one. :smallsmile:

sum1won
2010-06-02, 06:04 PM
Bolan prepares to swing at the owlbear skeleton as soon as it is close enough. The kobold minion near him moves behind him and takes the total defense action.

Tomas picks up a smaller, less imaginary rock and chucks it at a zombie with his spare hand.

[roll0]
[roll1]+[roll2]

[roll3]Attack
[roll4]Damage

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-02, 09:37 PM
Paddy moves 30 feet across the roof to catch a glipmse of the last owlbear. If said owlbear was destroyed by now, Paddy will fire at whatever zombies reached the light. If the owlbear still lives is active, Paddy will fire at the owlbear (who is less than 60' away, and thus clearly visible to him).

If firing at owlbear, just the primary blast. Zombies, two blasts.
Primary [roll0] touch, damage [roll1]
Secondary [roll2] touch, damage 1/2 of above; as usual, REF 21 or catch fire for 2d6 next round.

Shooter can't see the owlbear, so will fire at whichever zombies are available.

[roll3], [roll4], damage [roll5]+[roll6]
[roll7], [roll8], damage [roll9]+[roll10]
[roll11], [roll12], damage [roll13]+[roll14]

Wolfie moves 50' southeast, just in case the owlbear needs to be intercepted.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-04, 04:58 AM
Not sure what's keeping Pelfaid. Anyone want to post actions for him so the game can continue?

Pelfaid
2010-06-04, 08:15 AM
Thane growls in frustration and the group fires another barrage.
While Thane is pelting skeletons, Aramil flies over to I9 and drops a Fiery burst on the zombies in H9.

Firing at the Owlbear
T: Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

A: Targeting the junction by the zombies. Damage [roll11] DC 20 for half (if undead they take a -1 because I hate the undead so)

Sorry about the delay, crazy busy with classes right now.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-04, 06:36 PM
Bolan Readies a swing: but the preperation was for naught. With a blast of power Paddy shatters the last remaining skeleton before it can continue its advance.

Shooter meanwhile loses his focus and manages to miss with every single last fiery arrow. Tomas also makes a valiant effort, but the closest zombie was 50ft distant (-8 range) and his shot falls short.

Their inteded target dead Aramil's companions join the wizard in assaulting the J-9 zombies (there were no H-9 zombies). Together the five of them are able to destroy both targets at that location.

The four surviving zombies lurch forwards. Two end 5ft into the mud at B-12, the other two curve southwards toward Tomas and end in F-12.

Pelfaid
2010-06-04, 06:57 PM
Aramil flies over to F-12 and drops a ball of fire to target by.
Thane and the archers let fly another volley at the scorched zombies.

T: Attack: Damage: [roll]1d10+3) +
M1: Attack: [roll2] Damage: [roll]1d10+3)
M2: Attack: Damage: [roll]1d10+3)
M3: Attack: Damage: [roll]1d10+3)
M4: Attack: Damage: [roll]1d10+3)
A: Damage [roll6] DC 20 for half (if undead they take a -1 because I hate the undead so)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-04, 08:12 PM
Paddy runs back across the roof and whacks the B12 zombies.
Primary [roll0] touch, damage [roll1]
Secondary [roll2] touch, damage 1/2 of above; as usual, REF 21 or catch fire for 2d6 next round.

Shooter holds to see how that turns out.

Edit: eh, seems like there's one left and he's probably on fire. No need to waste arrows.

sum1won
2010-06-04, 09:13 PM
Tomas tries to climb up the slope.

[roll0]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-05, 07:17 AM
Rolls for Damage
Thane and archers
9+3 = 12
[roll=1d10+3 8 + 3 = 11
7 + 3 = 10
[roll=1d10+3 6 + 3 = 9
[roll=1d10+3[/roll] 1 + 3 = 4

Edit: Using my desk dice...:

Zombie on Fire
[roll0]

And so the heroes valiantly conclude *Operation Mop-Up*
Thain & Aramil Inc systematically eradicate their targets, while Paddy turns the other two into zombie torches.

When the dust settles and the last flame dies there is but a single zombie left with all of 5 hp. Another fiery burst and elderitch blast finish it off without further incident, leaving the heros in the silence once more to contemplate the pleasant aroma stench of scorched of zombie flesh and the drip of water.

You can't hear any approaching zombie reinforcements -yet- but you're all sure their will be more in another 10 minutes or so.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Attack 2 Defeated

Time To defeat: 4 rounds.
Injuries Sustained: 0hp (the zombies will try harder next time )
Spells Used: (2) 1st Level (Continual flames) (1) 5th level (Overland flight)
Ammunition Expended: 9 arrows, 21 bolts

Next undead charge arrives in 2d12-0.4 minutes, please state any preparations you wish to make in that time.

sum1won
2010-06-05, 02:59 PM
Tomas climbs over the berm and fetches some rope, giving a 5 foot length to Aramil, and taking a 20 foot length for himself, as well as grabbing a few pitons and a hammer.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-05, 03:04 PM
Paddy and co. don't see anything useful they could do at this time. Wolfie is sent to I15.

sum1won
2010-06-05, 03:51 PM
I'll join wolfy there, for the time being, after setting up a rope to climb up, if needed. No need to leave him to fight alone.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-05, 10:39 PM
Actually, when was the last time we locked the portal? It needs to be relocked every half-hour, no? And who has the mcguffin artifact anyway?

If no one else volunteers, Giovanni Adepti will close the portal now.

Pelfaid
2010-06-06, 12:06 PM
Aramil grabs the rope and getting after getting some help manages to tie it on himself.

Taking 10 with 2 minions aiding.

YAY I am now a flying lightbulb.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-06, 12:20 PM
Looks like everyone is ready for Attack #3.

Thoma's preparation's takes 3 minutes (1 minute each for two pinions plus 1 minute travel) everyone else spends less time running around.

The portal stays shut for 1 hour after being re-sealed, but resealing every 1/2 hour to make certain a mistyped zombie doesn't walk through was indeed the recommendations, and at 24 minutes or so since the last sealing it was about time for that chore to be done again.

Now for the zombies:
[roll0] + [roll1] in [roll2] minutes.

Edit: Ack! Out of time. I'll post a map and description later today.

sum1won
2010-06-06, 01:18 PM
Awaiting description...
Tomas shouts at the vampire spawn
"Oy! I've got some nice juicy steak for you! Straight from the tree!"

With that, he fires his crossbow at a vampire spawn.

In light of fast healing, it probably won't be the most effective. Meh.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-06, 01:23 PM
Vampire Spawn, eh? Shooter remembers how much he hates Vampire Spawns as he shoots his flaming arrows. Paddy, on the other hand, just channels some general all purpose loathing as he sends his blast.

Blast: Concealment miss [roll0], attack [roll1] touch, damage [roll2]; as usual, REF 21 or catch fire for 2d6 next round.
Concealment miss [roll3], [roll4], damage [roll5]+[roll6]
Concealment miss [roll7], [roll8], damage [roll9]+[roll10]
Concealment miss [roll11], [roll12], damage [roll13]+[roll14]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-06, 01:48 PM
Feed Me!

First there was silence. Silence and the drip of water.

The group had finished there preparations, but this time no rumble of movement reached there ears. For a while the group stands in awkward stressed silence looking at each other and the opening.

But only for a while. With a shout some 13.6 minutes after the last zombie stopped twitching a war cry rises but no army accompanies it: only three pale white vampire spawn with dully yellow eyes charging forward from the mists. Two hustle 60 ft forward along the walls trying to advance as best they can in whatever shadow they can find. The spawn in the center gives a shreak when it sees the wall of light and shifts to gaseous form just 30ft in.

The Map
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldB4.png

sum1won
2010-06-06, 02:00 PM
In light of the early events... The shot is fired at the northernmost vampire spawn, and Tomas then moves to K16, jumping over the 5 foot wide ditch as he does so.
Take out the top spawn!

[roll0] Jump check. 5 makes it, less gets him stuck in the 5 foot deep trench.
If you want me to reroll the above attack...
[roll1]
[roll2]

Pelfaid
2010-06-06, 03:22 PM
While Tomas heads toward the top Vampire, Thane and the archers swig their crossbows towards the bottom one.
Aramil curses and flies out toward the middle one, wand in hand.

T: Miss chance (1 misses) Attack: [roll1] Damage:[roll2]+[roll3]
M1: Attack: [roll4] Damage:[roll5]
M2:Attack: [roll6] Damage:[roll7]
M3:Attack: [roll8] Damage:[roll9]
M4:Attack: [roll10] Damage:[roll11]

Edit:

Just noticed that the wand doesn't quite have the range, Casting Magic missile from slot instead
Damage: [roll]5d4+5

sum1won
2010-06-06, 03:37 PM
Oh, I was heading south to take care of the bottom spawn, as it happens.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-06, 05:56 PM
[roll0]
On failure [roll1]

[roll2]

With laughter and jeers the zombie defense crew springs into action. Paddy opens fire with an eldritch lance on the southern vamp, sending it up in flames. Unfortunately when the flames fade the spawn is still alive. Shooter also opens fire, but in his merriment manages to miss with every shot for a sobering effect.

Tomas fires a bolt at the northern spawn even as he moves south and scores a hit! Unfortunately the creatue seems somewhat resistant to his arrow damage and appears to be healing even as you watch.

Aramil leads an assault on the misty vamp, and strikes deap with a spell while the minions fire one the vamp to the south. Only one inflicts damage, but it was just enough to allow the flames of Paddy's strike to finish it off.

The north spawn [24/29 hp] advances south west to D-11 gathering itself in the sliver of shadow for a spring.

The middle gaseous spawn [15/29 hp] flies upwards and toward you (to H-6/+20ft)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-06, 06:33 PM
Paddy and Shooter will take aim at the well-lit north spawn.

Blast [roll0] touch, damage [roll1], REF 21 or catch fire for [roll2] next round.

Flaming arrows, rapid fire mode (no concealment there)
[roll6], damage [roll7]+[roll8] <--- first arrow kills him, I believe, so 2nd and 3rd are sent at the other spawn. Roll concealment for me if applies.
[roll9], damage [roll10]+[roll11]

sum1won
2010-06-06, 06:52 PM
Assuming Tomas has line of sight, he reloads and fires at the northernmost spawn. If he doesn't, he 5' steps to have line of sight.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-06, 07:11 PM
The northern one isn't well lit unless you have low light vision: It's standing in the south-west 5th square of D-11 that only has shadowy illumination.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-06, 07:20 PM
Miss chances, same order as attacks above
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

sum1won
2010-06-06, 07:38 PM
I do not have low-light vision.

Miss chance, 1 misses
[roll0]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-08, 05:12 AM
North vamp dies, middle one still lives... pending whatever Pelfaid's crew does at least.

Edit:
Aramil and company decide to conserve ammunition and do nothing.

The last surviving vampire spawn heals a little and flies upwards and over the continual flame and between the bulls-eye lantern flames, ending in I-9/+30ft.

sum1won
2010-06-08, 10:17 PM
Tomas drops his bow and takes out his chain. He's really got no way to hurt the vamp with a bow while its like this.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-08, 10:51 PM
Let's see if he's immune to hellfire. Paddy says, as he takes aim.

miss chance (1 misses) [roll0], attack [roll1] touch, damage [roll2], if hit REF 21 or catch fire for [roll3] next round

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-08, 11:16 PM
If he's still hanging in there, Shooter will try flaming arrows.
[roll0], [roll1], damage [roll2]+[roll3]
[roll4], [roll5], damage [roll6]+[roll7]
[roll8], [roll9], damage [roll10]+[roll11]

Pelfaid
2010-06-09, 05:11 AM
Aramil moves away from the vampire and fires another magic missile from his wand.

Damage: [roll0]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-09, 04:26 PM
With a sizzle a blast of eldritch energy lances through the vamp, but the undead horror survives.

Trailing light three flaming arrows follow, but only one strikes home and the vamp flies onward.

The vamp doesn't survive the magic missile. The gaseous being quivers slightly and then harmlessly dissipates and dissolves.

Attack 3 cleared!

Zombie High Water mark: Column 11.
Time To defeat: 3 rounds.
Injuries Sustained: 0hp (the zombies will try harder next time )
Spells Used: (2) 1st Level
Ammunition Expended: 9 arrows, 7 bolts

Apparently vampire spawns need either surprise or zombie canon fodder to become effective.

With a distant rumbling you realize the final attack in this wave will be arrive soon. Please declare any preparations or position changes you wish to make before the next attack.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-09, 04:32 PM
Paddy and gang are ready.

sum1won
2010-06-09, 04:36 PM
Tomas moves to H14 and gathers a bunch of nice throwing rocks, and loads his Xbow.

Pelfaid
2010-06-09, 05:19 PM
Aramil lands out in I8 and the crossbows of his seconds get reloaded.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-10, 05:00 AM
[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

Map and fluff coming later.

brains... BRAINS... BRAINS ... *crickets chirp* ... FOR BRAAINS!

In the distance you hear chanting as the final attack of this wave draws near. Then silence and the drip of water. Just as the silence starts to become unbearable 4 owlbear skeletons accompanied by 4 more ghouls let loose a terror inspiring war cry and charge out of the mists. At least, it would be terror inspiring if you hadn't already heard it and soundly trounced the three previous attacks.

The owlbears advance to column 6 (C, E, K, M). There is a ghoul in column 5 behind each owlbear.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-10, 07:34 AM
Paddy shoots at the southermost skeleton, Shooter at the northernmost.

Blast [roll0] touch, damage [roll1]; as usual, REF 21 or catch fire for [roll2] next round.
[roll9], damage [roll10]+[roll11]

concealment, where it applies
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

Pelfaid
2010-06-10, 08:40 AM
Aramil flies up and lets fly with a burst of fire.

Thane and the archers fire at the owlbear in K6.

A:Aiming at the Ghoul in K5 Damage: [roll0] fire DC 20 (-1 penalty for undead :smallamused:) for half
T: Attack: [roll1] Damage: [roll2]+[roll3]

sum1won
2010-06-10, 09:54 AM
Predictably, tomas calls the undead something rude, and takes a shot at a skeleton.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-10, 05:29 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

If applicable...
[roll3]
[roll4]

Map and Undead attacks coming soon...

Psionic Dog
2010-06-10, 06:08 PM
Paddy opens fire with eldritch energy on the southern skeleton, with the blast arching to the following ghoul. The skeleton survives the ensuing blaze, but with a wailing cry of hatred and agony the ghoul does not.

Every other skeleton also comes under attack. The animated bony puppet in C is struck by arrows, but it marches on. The one in E takes a point of damage from Tomas, but appears not to notice. The one in K takes grevous harm from a volley but is still moving.

To the great sadness of the defenders, the ghoul targeted by Aramil manages to leap back and avoid the worst of the flaming surprise. Enraged it bangs on it's skeleton and points at the flying caster.

The skeleton then turns and makes running leap / charge at Aramil, and with a surprising display of athletics launches itself upwards in an arch to meet the elf where with a stretch of a clawed limb it rips a boot and a strip of flesh from the surprised elf's leg. (Aramil takes 11 damage)

Is there any reason why Paddy's blast can't arch to the ghoul less than 10 ft away? If there is then the 4th ghoul still lives.
Edit: Ah, thanks for the info.

Overland flight grants 40ft (good) fly speed. With that maneuverability flying upwards is done a half speed, so Aramil is 20 ft off the ground.

A large owlbear has a 16 ft vertical reach, so to be able to hit it needs to succeed on a 4-ft high jump...

[roll0] DC 16
If successful: [roll1] [roll2]

Even with the most conservative interpretation (owlbears are mechanical 10ft high with 5ft of attack reach needing a 5ft jump) it still hits.

Updated Map
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldB5.png

Add an extra ghoul to M-11.

sum1won
2010-06-10, 06:26 PM
Aramil, get out o' there!

Tomas fires his crossbow at a ghoul he has LOS to, preferably the angry one. He then draws his chain and waits.

Minions and Bolan do the same.

Ugh. Mud seemed like a good idea at the time. Eh, they're across the pond from me in any case. Maybe I'll have bolan prepare a water walk or six, or find another solution...
[roll0]Tomas
[roll1]

[roll2]Minion1
[roll3]
[roll4]Minion2
[roll5]
[roll6]Bolan
[roll7]

Miss chances, as applicable: [roll8]

Map, please?

sum1won
2010-06-10, 06:28 PM
Wait! I got ninja edit'd. May I change Tomas's actions based on that map?

Psionic Dog
2010-06-10, 06:48 PM
Sure,

But don't re roll for the minions/cohort.

sum1won
2010-06-10, 07:13 PM
The only change is Tomas moving thirty feet north as he draws his chain. No need to reroll anything.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-10, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry, but I realized something between the waves. No more than 1 Blast Shape invocation may be applied to the same blast. And Eldritch Spear and Eldritch Chain are both Blast Shape. So I can either fire to extended range (250'), or fire to a normal range (60'), and arch to the next target. That's why I didn't roll a secondary attack this time.

Ok, Paddy and Shooter will aim at the well-lit skeletons, in north-to-south order. If one is destroyed, move to the next one.

Blast [roll0], dmg [roll1], Ref 21 or catch fire for [roll2]
Flaming arrows
[roll3], dmg [roll4] + [roll5]
[roll6], dmg [roll7] + [roll8]
[roll9], dmg [roll10] + [roll11]

Pelfaid
2010-06-11, 06:53 PM
Gritting his teeth, Araml flies up 20 more feet and casts a spell causing tentacles to grow from the ground.
Thane and the archers continue to provide support.

T: Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]

Aramil casts Black tentacles.
Grapple check: [roll11]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-11, 07:46 PM
Thomas fires on the angry ghoul and scores a sold hit, his bold tearing through the creatures chest, returning it once more to a cold corpse.

Aramil, not content to leave it at that summons forth a field of rubbery black wormy tentacles from the very earth which proceed to bludgeon everything in reach. These tentacles proceed to beat the dead ghoul into a smooth paste while simultaneously ensnaring the owlbear skeleton in a grip of death.

The skeleton held firm, the crossbowman under Thane proceed to pump bolt after bolt into the trapped from.

Meanwhile Paddy hurls out another lance at the northern wounded skeleton, the force of the blast sending a scattered shower of flaming bones in all directions.

Not to be out done, Shooter sends out bolt after flaming bolt into the next lit skeleton to deadly effect, where the combined force succeds in sending his target to it's bony knees in a smoldering ruin.

Then the surviving zombies act again.
The Owlbear skeleton struggles to break free...
[roll0] vs [roll1]
Success! The severely damaged skeleton breaks the black embrace, but doesn't leave the field and instead gathers itself for a futile spring next round according to its (now departed) masters last order.

To the north the two ghouls, deprived of skeletal body guards give each other a shared look before rushing Tomas.

The northern most manages to close adjacent, but is slowed enough by the mud to be unable to attack. His friend however is close enough to make it through the mud to strike. [roll2] [roll3]

That is, assuming the two ghouls survive the AoO for crossing the spiked chain...

To the south the skeleton and ghoul move north-east after the juicy looking wolf sitting all alone... but aren't quick enough to attack this round (they end in J/K-14)

There are two ghoul attacking thomos.
There is one injured skeleton below Aramil.
There is a skeleton and ghoul in J/K-14.
Apart from the above 5 there are no other attackers still moving.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-11, 08:14 PM
Paddy blasts K14, arcing to J14
[roll0] touch, damage [roll1], if hit ref 21 or catch fire for [roll2]
[roll3] touch, damage half of [roll4], if hit ref 21 or catch fire for [roll5] (-4 attack because Wolfie is adjacent to him)

Shooter fires at J14 (Precise Shot, hence no penalty eventhough Wolfie is adjacent)
attacks [roll6], damage [roll7] + [roll8]
attacks [roll9], damage [roll10] + [roll11]
attacks [roll12], damage [roll13] + [roll14]

Wolfie pounces at J14 or K14, whoever is alive and closer.
Attack [roll15], damage [roll16], trip opposed STR check if hits [roll17]

sum1won
2010-06-11, 08:20 PM
Tomas whips his chain back and forth as the two ghouls attempt to close.

Attack= 18 w/ +1, weapon focus, bane properties. Attack of opportunities:
Attack 1:
[roll0] -2 for Combat Expertise (AC 22), -1 PA
Damage1:
[roll1] (3 from strength, 2 power attack, 5 favored enemy) [roll2] 1d6 from flaming, 2d6 from bane properties

Attack2:
[roll3] -2 for Combat Expertise (AC 22), -1 PA
Damage2:
[roll4] (3 from strength, 2 power attack, 5 favored enemy) [roll5] 1d6 from flaming, 2d6 from bane properties

Waiting on their death before posting next action. I love my signature weapon. +1 Flaming ghosttouch undeadbane spiked chain FTW! And I have spares! Spare spiked chains, anyways.

EDIT: That is 28 and 30 damage to the ghouls, respectively. I believe they are now dead.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-11, 08:25 PM
Attack 1:
(1d20+15)[32] -2 for Combat Expertise (AC 22), -1 PA
Damage1:
(2d4+10)[17] (3 from strength, 2 power attack, 5 favored enemy) (3d6)[2][5][4](11) 1d6 from flaming, 2d6 from bane properties

Attack2:
(1d20+15)[23] -2 for Combat Expertise (AC 22), -1 PA
Damage2:
(2d4+10)[14] (3 from strength, 2 power attack, 5 favored enemy) (3d6)[5][5][6](16) 1d6 from flaming, 2d6 from bane propertiesOK, I'm officially impressed.

sum1won
2010-06-11, 08:45 PM
I don't know if cleave works in AOO, but if it did... Well, they're still both dead.

Pelfaid
2010-06-11, 08:50 PM
Aramil lights up the Owlbear with 2 Scorching rays.

Seeing their commander light the Owlbear up, the archers hold fire.

A: Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Ranged Touch Attack: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]

On the chance that the fire doesn't kill it.
Grapple [roll4]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-12, 06:46 AM
With a grim smile Paddy launches an arching blast into the group menacing the wolf, destroying the skeleton and setting the ghoul ablaze. It takes only a single arrow by Shooter to finish off the flaming ghoul.

All the wolf has left to do is gnaw on scattered bones.

To the north Thomas gives an object lesson as to why a spiked chain is a preferred weapon to the chain saw for fighting ghouls: the chain saw has less reach.

In the middle Aramil decides to give the final word in this fight with a single eloquent spell, raining bolts of fire down to incinerate the skeleton that leave only chard remains.

Attack 4 cleared
Zombie High Water mark: Column 14.
Time To defeat: 3 rounds.
Injuries Sustained: 11hp
Spells Used: (1) 2nd Level, (1) 3rd Level
Ammunition Expended: 7 arrows, 16 bolts

Wave 1 Cleared
Duration of Wave: 55 minutes.
Injuries Sustained: 11hp
Spells Used: (1) 1st Level, (1) 2rd Level, (1) 3rd Level, (1) 4th level, (1) 5th level.
Ammunition Expended: 37 arrows, 66 bolts
Other Consumables: 3 magic missile chargers
((Does not include permanent duration magic such as the extra continual flames cast))

If every wave is like the 1st one the group will over the next two weeks:
Sustain: 440 hp damage.
Cast: 40 1st level spells, 40 2nd level spells, 40 3rd level spells, 40 4th level spells, and 40 5th level spells.
Fired 1,480 arrows and 2,640 bolts.
Used 120 Magic Missile castings from wand.

It is 0055 on Day 1.
Next wave begins in 3 hours 5 minutes.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-12, 08:28 AM
Aramil, are you ok up there? If you need healing, we have the wands.

sum1won
2010-06-12, 10:27 AM
Tomas makes 4 slings over the three hours. He has one of the awake kobolds cast CLW on Aramil. The other kobold works on setting up the pit trap.
[roll0]

EDIT:
The kobold then casts cure minor wounds on aramil, just for good measure.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 08:45 AM
Maybe we should place some more lanterns about the area? How many do you guys have left?

Pelfaid
2010-06-13, 10:56 AM
Thank you for the healing, I can't believe I let myself be hit like that, won't happen again.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-14, 05:12 AM
No other preperations?

Sleeper stay asleep, guard duty stays awake?

If so I'll post Attack 1 of Wave 2 later today.

sum1won
2010-06-14, 05:30 AM
Sleepers switch with wakers for my group, except my main stays on duty.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-14, 06:42 PM
They'll have been asleep just 4 hours, but ok.

Or am I forgetting something that makes 4 hours all they need?

And now back to our previously scheduled invasion...

[roll0]
[roll1] [roll2]

-----------------------------------------------

The defenders have little to do but wait once the healing is done. Some sit staring at the black mists. Others take cat naps, and still others talk. But mostly there is waiting as the cavern grows muggy with anicipation with little to do but trade back stories and reset the Great Portal Seal ((You did reset the seal, yes?))

Eventually relief from the boredom comes with more of your Good Friends, the Zombies and their best buddies, more Owl Bear Skeletons.

The two Owl Skels advance to G6 & J6.
The zombies shamble out to [C, D, E, F, K, L, M, N]-3.

Time: 04:09, Day 1.

sum1won
2010-06-14, 08:59 PM
They'll have been asleep just 4 hours, but ok.

Or am I forgetting something that makes 4 hours all they need?

Whoops. Can I let them keep sleeping? Thanks.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-14, 10:18 PM
J6 skeleton takes fire from my guys.

Blast
[roll0], [roll1] touch, dmg [roll2], ref 21 or catch fire for [roll3].

Flaming arrows
[roll4], [roll5], [roll6] + [roll7]
[roll8], [roll9], [roll10] + [roll11]
[roll12], [roll13], [roll14] + [roll15]

sum1won
2010-06-14, 10:35 PM
Also, Tomas slings at the owlbears, because he can.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-15, 08:43 PM
Just letting everyone know that I will be out of town until monday with limited internet access.

Tactics of my characters:

Aramil flies and drops fire
Everyone else shoots crossbows

sorry about the late notice

If the two of you could post actions for Pelfaid in line with the posted tactics until Monday that would be great. Otherwise I'll post actions for him when making updates.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-16, 07:41 PM
This time when then undead come Arimil doesn't open fire but flies upwards with a double move to +25ft elevation.

At the same time his companions, also not wanting a repeat, all fire on the owlbears as well.

Paddy scores great damage, and Shooter follows as well. The fire probably would have finished off the skeleton with the help of shooters first shoot, but not taking any chances he fires twice more to finish off the Owl Skell J.

Thomas uses the other owlbear skeleton as target practice for his sling, striking twice for serious damage to the creature.

With a great deliberate of motion the surviving undead continue their relentless advance.

New Map
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldB6.png

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-16, 07:47 PM
I don't know if the last remaining owlbear is enjoying himself, but for sure he's having a blast! Haha, I am so funny.

[roll0] touch, dmg [roll1] + ref 21 or [roll2] next round.

edit: others hold.

sum1won
2010-06-18, 12:19 PM
Whoops, realized I hadn't posted.

Tomas pulls out his spiked chain and attempts to wade across the mud. Time for mop-up.

[roll0] reflex save

Psionic Dog
2010-06-19, 10:55 AM
•BOOM• the last owlbear fairly explodes under the energy infusion provided by Paddy, as Thomas advances toward a better position.

Arimil glides forward to F-7 and drops a flaming burst upon the two southern two zombies in that line [roll0]

Allas, the zombies live on.
Zombies advance to column 9: B-E and K-N.

BRAINS

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-19, 12:56 PM
Leaving the north to Tomas and the south to Aramil, Paddy snipes at one of the middle zombies, preferably one that's well lit.

[roll0] touch, dmg [roll1], ref 21 or catch fire for [roll2]

sum1won
2010-06-19, 01:15 PM
Tomas charges ahead, swinging his spiked chain around his head and at a zombie when two are in reach.

[roll0]Attack One (-5 power attack, -4 Combat expertise +2 bane, +2 charging)
[roll1] + [roll2] Damage one

CLEAVE?

[roll3]Attack Two(-5 PAttack, -4 CExpertise, +2 bane, +2 charging)
[roll4] + [roll5] Damage Two

Great cleave would have been a good idea. Ah, well.

sum1won
2010-06-19, 09:44 PM
Presumably Aramil flames the southern zombies.
[roll0] damage

Psionic Dog
2010-06-20, 08:18 PM
Thomas flies into the zombie like a chain saw into butter sending bits of undead every direction, while Paddy zaps the southern most zombie in the northern group sending it into scattered ash.

The five surviving zombies turn and one by one charge Thomas.

Aramil turns and flies south after the southern wave, and drops a burst of fire onto two of the undead. Althought half destroyed they wounded zombies march on.

I'm not sure what we have for 'middle zombie' so I picked the southernmost northern zombie for Paddy to target. It left a convenient 5 survivors for Thomas to face what with combat reflexes and a +5 dex modifier.

In case any zombie survives the AoO for charging through the spiked chain's reach:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Yes, I know there isn't room for them all to charge as a single group, but charging one by one they can easy charge over the bodies of their own dead to reach Thomas. Just deduct from the map any who were slain by AoOs.

Map Update
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldB7.png

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-20, 09:02 PM
Paddy blasts L12.

[roll0], dmg [roll1] and ref 21 or catch fire for [roll2]

sum1won
2010-06-20, 10:27 PM
Tomas whips his chainsaw spiked chain through the ranks of zombies as they advance

(-5 PA, -5 Combat Expertise). Also, I get 6 AOO a turn, (dex modifier + original, pg. 92 PH. ) With Hold the Line, and the fact that they are charging, I'll make a second attack on any that make it past the first... Come to think of it, a spear would have been useful instead, for double damage when they charge. Meh.

[roll0] Attack 1 (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20050619.html) [roll1] [roll2]Damage 1
[roll3]Attack 2 (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20050620.html) [roll4] [roll5]Damage 2
[roll6]Attack 3 (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20050621.html)[roll7][roll8]Damage 3
[roll9]Attack 4 (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20050622.html) [roll10][roll11]Damage4
[roll12]Attack 5 [roll13][roll14]Damage5
[roll15]Attack 6 [roll16][roll17]Damage6

sum1won
2010-06-21, 10:03 PM
Assuming none are left, Tomas double moves south around the water to the second bunch of zombies.

Presumably, Aramil moves and flames another zombie.

[roll0]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-22, 05:05 AM
In seconds what was once a zombie charge is now a scattered pile of zombie parts and ichor.

Aramil flies after the southern shamblers and fries the previusly burned zombies while Paddy sends a third into a more spectacles explosion of flaming zombie bits.

The five zombie survivors turn north along the road toward he wolf and berm defender, moving to K,L,M 14.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-22, 08:02 AM
Paddy blasts the two northernmost zombies (K14).

[roll0], dmg [roll1]
[roll2], dmg half of above
Ref 21 or catch fire for [roll3] next round.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-22, 08:04 AM
Shooter fires at the L14 zombies

[roll]1d20+10[roll], dmg [roll0] + [roll1]
[roll]1d20+10[roll], dmg [roll2] + [roll3]
[roll]1d20+5[roll], dmg [roll4] + [roll5]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-22, 08:05 AM
Attack rolls again

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-22, 08:07 AM
And finally, the ranger commands Wolfie to retreat 50' back.

sum1won
2010-06-23, 11:26 PM
I assume that Tomas is close enough to charge the zombies.

He does so.

[roll0] -5PA. -5CE

[roll1][roll2]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-24, 05:10 AM
All right, I'll take the charge: but next time be more specific than "Thomas moves south"

Paddy lights one zombie on fire and sets the second ablaze, while shooter expertly destroys the next two in line. By the time Thomas charges the last uninjured zombie chain whirling all that's left for Aramil to do is to drop another fiery burst on the zombie torch. At that point all the heros have left is the mop up... literally.

All post attack statistics latter tonight when I have more time.

Next zombie charge in 2d12 minutes.
There is a 50% chance that the next charge will contain a mini boss group. If attack #2 doesn't have the mini boss then attack #3 will.

Anyone know if Pelfaid is posting again yet?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-24, 08:35 AM
We reseal the portal between attacks.

sum1won
2010-06-24, 02:03 PM
Tomas removes himself to the southern tip of the berm, where the ranger lies.

Pelfaid
2010-06-25, 12:58 PM
Yes, I am posting again :smallsmile:

Psionic Dog
2010-06-25, 04:55 PM
Attack 1 Wave 2 Cleared
Damage Taken: 0.
Expendables used: 6 arrows, 2 sling stones

[roll0]
Mini Boss on [roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

ATTACK

No mini boss emerages from the mists, but this attack is still like no other.
For one, the central creature is not an undead at all but a huge snake, easily 25 ft of venomous flesh filling an area 15ft on a side. To add extra fun the snake is flanked by two pail ghosts drifting 20ft above the ground.

The snake moves to H4.
The ghosts move to D3 and L3 where they each with an unearthly moan cast a spell. (Spellcraft DC 16 identifies)

Good luck. Don't forget that the snake has spell resistance if anyone does any casting at it.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-25, 07:07 PM
Spellcraft [roll0]

Shooter hates undead, so ignores the snake and takes aim at the north ghost.

Miss chance [roll1], attack [roll2], dmg [roll3] + [roll4]
Miss chance [roll5], attack [roll6], dmg [roll7] + [roll8]
Miss chance [roll9], attack [roll10], dmg [roll11] + [roll12]

Paddy helps with the same ghost. This time he avoids the Brimstone Blast, and fires a regular one (untyped damage).

[roll13] touch, damage [roll14]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-25, 07:08 PM
Forgot to roll miss chance for Paddy [roll0]

sum1won
2010-06-26, 09:58 PM
Tomas jumps down to I15.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-27, 04:26 PM
The ghosts are incorporeal, so unless those were ghost touch or force damage attacks there is a 50% miss chance, not 20%.

Attacks miss on odd, hit on even
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-27, 04:44 PM
((Come to think of it Attacks #2 and #3 missed anyway, so only Paddy's eldritch strike hits. Unfortunately for the ghost 19 damage is enough for a KO)

The ghost seems to avoid most of the damage with arrows missing, deflecting of off, or passing harmlessly through the ghost. The eldritch strike however does not pass harmlessly through the ghost and wiped the undead kobold's mocking grin clean off its face, leaving the rest of it's being to imploding silently behind that.

The snake advances to H-8.
The surviving ghost glides forward another 30 ft to L-6, where with a wave of a finger a magic missile flies into Shooter as retaliation.
[roll0]

(If anyone ever needs a map just ask: I'm assuming no map is needed for just two villains))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-27, 04:56 PM
Paddy will try to blast the remaining ghost.

attack [roll0] touch, miss chance [roll1] (1=miss), dmg [roll2]

If that fails, Shooter will help with as many arrows as needed

attack [roll3], miss chance [roll4] (1=miss), dmg [roll5] + [roll6] fire
attack [roll7], miss chance [roll8] (1=miss), dmg [roll9] + [roll10] fire
attack [roll11], miss chance [roll12] (1=miss), dmg [roll13] + [roll14] fire

Ok, this was kind of sad ... :smallmad:

sum1won
2010-06-28, 10:58 AM
Tomas moves to H-14, drawing his sling in one hand as he does so. He slings a rock at the snake, as supporting crossbow fire from the two kobolds and the priest come in on the snake as well as well.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Psionic Dog
2010-06-29, 07:08 PM
Paddy's crew has an unsuccessful performance.

Thomas's crew scores three hits, but for disappointing results. The snake seems resistant to their best efforts. (DR/magic)

Aramil walks up to the top of the tower to see how things are doing before deciding to hold fire until they're a little closer.. ((If one of your fellow players are absent for more than 24 hours you may take actions for them, otherwise the DM picks a mediocre reaction.))

The snake enters the water and swims to H-12.

The ghost glides forward to L-9 and casts another magic missile, this time targeting Paddy.
[roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-29, 07:28 PM
Paddy concentrates .... have to do better this time ....

miss chance [roll0]
Attack [roll1] touch, dmg [roll2]

Arrows, as many as needed
miss chance [roll3]
Attack [roll4], dmg [roll5] + [roll6] fire
Attack [roll7], dmg [roll8] + [roll9] fire
Attack [roll10], dmg [roll11] + [roll12] fire

sum1won
2010-06-29, 10:07 PM
Tomas fires his sling again, and then drops it to draw his chain.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-30, 08:08 PM
Since Aramil was absent for more than 24 hours, I'll take initiative and have him Magic Missile the ghost for [roll0] damage.

Edit: it's actually 5d4+5, so 17 damage.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-01, 05:17 AM
Thomas hits, but for seems to inflict no damage.

Paddy and shooter open fire, but every shot either passes harmlessly through or misses.

Then Arimil provides a Force solution. The missiles shred the ghost, but wavering slightly it retains coherence and continues onward a bit tattered.

The snake casually swims forwarder the last 5-10 ft and makes a snap at Thomas.
[roll0]
[roll1] + poison (fort save time)
(The snake has 10 ft reach and didn't have enough space to charge, so no AoO)

The ghost continues it's glides forward to K-12 where it readies an action.
Readied Counter Spell attempt

Round 4.

sum1won
2010-07-01, 07:32 AM
Tomas winces slightly as the snakes bite bypasses his damage resistance.

[roll0] Fort save time.

[roll1]Attack (-5 PA, -3 CE [roll2]+[roll3] fire Damage
[roll4]Attack [roll5]+[roll6]fire Damage

sum1won
2010-07-01, 07:35 AM
My mistake- I do an extra 1 damage on each of those attacks. Forgot about the +1 enchantment.

Also, crit confirm:
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit damage

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-02, 01:46 PM
Paddy will try to blast the ghost again

[roll0], attack [roll1], dmg [roll2]

And Aramil will Magic Missile it using his wand

[roll3] damage

Psionic Dog
2010-07-03, 06:55 AM
[roll0]
Interesting... "Ghost Spell Check" does not count as 10+ characters long...

CRUNCH Thomas smashes the snake sending little snake bits every which direction.

ZAP Paddy misses, but the follow up magic missile performs exactly as advertised. The ghost had readied a counter spell, but failed to recognize the threat until it was too late.

Attack Cleared
Expendibles Used: 1 L1 spell, 1 MM wand charge, 9 arrows, 3 bolts, 1 sling stone.
Damage sustained: 11 points

Next Attack arrives in 2d12 minutes. It will contain a mini-boss. [2x CR 4 + 1x CR 5]

Any changes in preparations before they arrive?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-03, 07:12 AM
Paddy cures himself with a wand for [roll0], and Giovanni Adepti does the same for Shooter [roll1]. Tomas, do you need healing?

sum1won
2010-07-03, 09:21 AM
Tomas shrugs.

My adepts can heal me. That is their primary skill.

One of them does so.
[roll0]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-03, 02:54 PM
I'm going to guess Pelfaid is detained for the weekend and continue on so thing flow.

After observing how easily the groups are handling the CR 4 attacks (with the fluke exception of the ghosts I've flipped things so that Mini Boss attacks are 2x CR 5 + 1x CR 4. I don't want to bore you'll. :smallsmile:)
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

--------------------------------------
Out of the mists fours spider swarms come scurrying climbing over each other with only one goal in mind: To cross the cavern and eat any flesh that stand in their way.

Darting quickly over the ground after them come two more gray incorporeal creatures who skim quickly over the ground carrying translucent knives and and a sickle across their back: the very appearance of death reapers. ((Knowledge Religion check permitted for a positive identification))

These undead creature of death dart quickly to forward 60ft into the cave where they pause in total defense in consideration.

Map
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldB8.png

sum1won
2010-07-03, 03:18 PM
Bolan picks his nose as he attempts to recall what, exactly, those creatures are.

[roll0]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-03, 05:49 PM
Nice!
Bolan immediately recognizes the undead as your basic stock CR5 Wraith (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wraith.htm).

sum1won
2010-07-04, 04:35 PM
Bolan shouts:

'Ware the wraiths!

Tomas grins as he whips his spiked chain through the air.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-04, 06:09 PM
Paddy attempts to hit one Wraith with a regular Blast.

[roll0], attack [roll1] touch, damage [roll2]

Aramil hits a Wraith with a charge from the Wand of Magic Missiles
[roll3]
(they're 140' away, so just in range.

sum1won
2010-07-04, 09:06 PM
Aramil also moves 30 feet straight backwards, while his cohort fires his heavy crossbow at the lower wraith.

[roll0] attack roll
[roll1]+[roll2] damage
[roll3] (1 misses)

Psionic Dog
2010-07-05, 08:07 AM
OOC notes:
Aramil was lasted posted as holding position at I-8 or there abouts so the wraiths were easily in range. Since I seem to recall Aramil having Overland Flight still active and suspect the intent is to have Aramil retreat I'll have Aramil back up 40ft. You may correct this if I'm wrong.

I'm assuming all attacks were against the lower wraith. Alas, all but the magic missiles miss. That has to be the longest string of 50% failures I've ever seen.

Aramil flies backward in retreat over the lake to (I11? I12?) after sending forth a trio of force missiles into on wraith. Pausing only a moment to gesture intent the norther wrath puts on a burst of speed and charges Aramil!

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

The southern wraith glides forward and upward to L11/+30 continuing to maintain the defensive posture.

@V: Nope, wraith in melee was uninjured.
Good news however: With the charge penalty two arrows hit.
Better news: Despite being uninjured the two arrows are enough to kill it...

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-05, 08:18 AM
Shooter Rangerberg screams "I hate undead!" as he unload three arrows into the injured wraith.

[roll0], attack [roll1], damage [roll2] + [roll3]
[roll4], attack [roll5], damage [roll6] + [roll7]
[roll8], attack [roll9], damage [roll10] + [roll11]

Edit: has Precise Shot, so doesn't take the -4 despite firing into melee

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-05, 02:52 PM
Wow, this hating undead thing is really working well for Shooter.

Paddy tries to fry the remaining wraith with a Blast.

[roll0], attack [roll1] touch, dmg [roll2]

sum1won
2010-07-06, 10:03 AM
Aramil's cohort fires at the wraith again:

[roll0]
[roll1][roll2]
[roll3]
1 misses

Aramil withdraws into the hallowed area.

sum1won
2010-07-06, 10:06 AM
Tomas readies a charge once the southernmost wraith is in range (unless it is already, in which case he charges.

[roll0] (-5 combat expertise, +2 charge)
[roll1][roll2]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-06, 06:01 PM
The energy lance runs the wraith through, but fails to slay it. The following arrow also fails to work as advertised.

((Tomas, the Wraith is at +30 ft elevation. If you can figure out a way to hit a flying target at that elevation on a melee charge while avoiding the mud you'll kill it. Otherwise Full Round action charges can't be readied and so... ))

Mortally wounded the last wraith abandons all pretense of defense and charges the tower, rushing the hurtful warlock.

[roll0] [roll1] + [roll2]

((I believe the tower roof has a low parapet giving Paddy a +2 partial AC cover bonus.))

The spider swarms continue their slower advance to B12, E12, K12, and N12.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-06, 07:11 PM
Missed ... Paddy takes a 5' step back and counterattacks.

[roll0] attack [roll1] dmg [roll2]

And presumably, that does it.

OOC
Can we send Aramil to fly over and flame-burst the spiders?

Psionic Dog
2010-07-06, 07:32 PM
The next shot does it, and the deadly wraith soon becomes a smokey wreath that soon fads away.

OOC
Sure, Aramil can be sent out on a flame-burst run.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-06, 07:42 PM
*facepalm* only now realized that flaming arrows can, in fact, damage a swarm.

Shooter fires at the north swarm:
[roll0], damage [roll1]
[roll2], damage [roll3]
[roll4], damage [roll5]

sum1won
2010-07-06, 09:54 PM
Tomas positions himself in the route of a spiderswarm.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-07, 04:50 PM
Aramil flies forward again and drops a fiery burst onto the clossest swarm

[roll0]x1.5 = dead

If needed:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Shooter hits twice with flaming arrows, but fails to dispers the swarm. The north swarm continues forward and starts to climb the berm.

The middle swarm turns south east and attempts to eat Thomas.
Thomas gets an AoO, but if that fails to slay the swarm takes 6 points of swarm damage and will need to make a Fort save against poison and a second against Nausia.

The southernmost swarm continues forward.

Map update
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Battle%20Maps/ZombieBattleFieldB9.png

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-07, 06:55 PM
Shooter keeps firing at the north swarm, as many arrows as needed; if it's dispersed, moves to the one attacking Tomas.

[roll0], dmg [roll1]
[roll2], dmg [roll3]
[roll4], dmg [roll5] <--- this should have been 1d20+5, so only hit ac 13

Paddy will run across the roof and Brimstone Burst the southern swarm. Come to think of it, it's fire damage and should be effective.

[roll6], dmg [roll7]

sum1won
2010-07-07, 08:04 PM
[roll0] Attack of opportunity
[roll1][roll2]

Tomas steps 5 feet to the side and flails at the swarm some more.

[roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7][roll8]

Meanwhile, bolan casts Searing Light at the southern swarm.

[roll9]
[roll10]

sum1won
2010-07-07, 08:09 PM
If the fire damage from the AOO doesn't kill it...
[roll0]
[roll1]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-08, 05:41 PM
Lin Bayaseda, Fire or not I'm going to say that a blast targeting a single creature deals no damage to a swarm of fine creatures.

However, I believe that catching on fire would still harm the swarm so...
[roll0] [roll1]

-------------------------
Thomas scatters his swarm with two swings of a flaiming chain sending the surviving little spiders running away, even as his stout heart shrugs of their poison.

Shooter has less luck, striking true only once for minimal damage.

Paddy does slightly better with a lance of flaiming eldritch energy that fries hundreds of the little spiders, but thousands survive to march on.

Seeing the northern swarm threaten to cross the berm Aramil comes to the conclusion that his best place is E-18 to intercept that swarm short of the portal.

The north swarm moves to B-18 headless of the distant defenders. The southern swarm seems to take notice of the tower defenders and moves to L-19 getting 5 ft up the tower side.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-08, 08:47 PM
Shooter fires at the swarm climbing up the tower.

[roll0], damage [roll1]
[roll2], damage [roll3]
[roll4], damage [roll5]

Leaning over the railing, Paddy fires another blast, at the climbing swarm, or another one, if that one was dispersed.

[roll6], if hit reflex 21 or catch fire for [roll7]

sum1won
2010-07-08, 09:48 PM
Tomas shouts "Tip the lamp oil on 'em"!

Psionic Dog
2010-07-10, 10:18 AM
((Sorry for the update delay. This last week has been... interesting.))

Shooter earns his name, for dispite the spiders having cover on the far side of the tower he still somehow manages to place his arrows to deadly effect effect, shattering the swarm into a disorganized remnant that melts away.

Aramil closes with the northern swarm and finishes it off with a final fiery burst.

Attack Cleared
Expendables:
1x Magic Missile charge
2 crossbow bolts, 12 arrows
Damage taken: 8 3 lethal damage, 4 points Constitution damage

Final attack in this wave occurs in 2d12-.5 minutes.

sum1won
2010-07-10, 10:23 AM
DR 5/magic from the armor means that Tomas took 1 damage, not 6

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-10, 10:49 AM
Shooter is tired of missing. He orders Giovanni to expend a charge from a Wand of Bless for the next wave. Also, Aramil lands to receive some healing.

[roll0]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-10, 04:47 PM
Well, Pelfaid hasn't even logged in for a week. I'll give him another week or so and if he still isn't back I'll either bring in a replacement or have the Vanishing Flue strike.

[roll0]
[roll1] [roll2]

For 15 minutes all is quiet, then striding out of the mists comes a single vampire spawn, followed by two dozen dire rats. The Vamp Spawn gives a single chalenge:

ATTACK MY FURRY MINIONS, ATTACK!

The dire rats advance in a single unbroken line stretching from C-8 to N-8.
The vampire spawn double moves to G-6.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-10, 07:12 PM
Paddy blasts the spawn with a Brimstone Blast.

concealment , touch attack [roll1], dmg [roll2], REF 21 or catch fire for 2d6[roll]

Giovanni Adepti casts Bless from a wand. Invigorated by this, Shooter fires at the spawn as well.

Concealment [roll3]

[roll4], damage [roll5] + [roll6] fire
[roll7], damage [roll8] + [roll9] fire
[roll10], damage [roll11] + [roll12] fire

sum1won
2010-07-10, 08:59 PM
The two adepts and bolan all fire their crossbows at rats, while Tomas slings away happily at the spawn from G-14, before drawing his chain.

[roll0] [roll1] Minion1
[roll2] [roll3] Minion2
[roll4] [roll5] Bolan
[roll6] [roll7] Tomas

[roll8] (concealment chances for bolan and tomas)

sum1won
2010-07-10, 09:02 PM
[roll0] [roll1] Crit check

sum1won
2010-07-11, 01:52 AM
Aramil's cohort fires his crossbow at the vampire spawn
[roll0] attack [roll1][roll2] Damage,
while aramil drops a firey burst on it
[roll3]
And the minions fire crossbows at the rats
[roll4] Attack [roll5] Damage
[roll6] Attack [roll7] Damage
[roll8] Attack [roll9] Damage
[roll10] Attack [roll11] Damage

[roll12] [roll13] Crit info, if needed

Also, yeah, I think it might be time to boot/replace him.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-11, 05:59 PM
Shooter strikes the vamp-spawn twice as does Thomas. Thane however misses (-2 range).

The minions destroy 5 of the approaching rats (say, the middle 5)

[roll0]

The surviving 19 dire rats continue their march.
Of the 7 dire rats who move north of the pond, 4 of them curve south again as they seek out Thomas, provoking AoO). The other 3 start to scale the berm ending 5 ft up at D,E-14 slowed slightly by the mud.

Of the 9 of the dire rats move south of the pond, 5 continue forward to end at L,M,N-16. The other 4 curve north towards the wolf ending in J,K-14.

The remaining 3 rats jump into the water and begin swimming towards Thomas.
[roll1] [roll2] (Ends G-12)
[roll3] [roll4] (Ends G-12)
[roll5] [roll6] (Ends H-10)

The vampire looks up at Aramil and cries: "ENOUGH!, Slave, do not harm the rats and use your magic to give me whatever protection you can bestow that will defend me against their cowardly arrows" ((Someone will need to make a will save for Aramil against Domination))

If the save fails the spawn will scurry northeast to D-7, otherwise it holds position.

sum1won
2010-07-11, 07:05 PM
Aramil struggles to resist the spawn's nefarious will
[roll0] (if failed, likely mage armor or summon monster X for shelter. Or otikluke's resilient sphere?)

His cohort, however, attempts to shoot the spawn
[roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

while the elves continue taking out rats, including two of those threatening the wolf.

[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]
[roll8][roll9]
[roll10][roll11]
As do the two kobold minions and bolan
[roll12] [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15]
[roll16] [roll17]

Tomas smacks down the nearby rats
[roll18] (-3 Attack, +3 AC) [roll19] [roll20]
[roll21] (-3 Attack, +3 AC) [roll22] [roll23]
[roll24] (-3 Attack, +3 AC) [roll25] [roll26]
[roll27] (-3 Attack, +3 AC) [roll28] [roll29]

sum1won
2010-07-11, 07:16 PM
Aramil (assuming he passed his save) casts scorching ray on the vampire spawn to destroy it as quickly as possible.

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]

Tomas moves north so that the rats are all within reach of his chain and hits one of them.

[roll6] (+3 AC -3 Attack) [roll7] [roll8]

sum1won
2010-07-11, 07:17 PM
[roll0] [roll1] Crit confirm + damage
Forgot to add the cleave attack:
[roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-13, 04:39 PM
I guess Lin Bayaseda's not posting the round.

Aramil makes the save, and has the privilege of destroying the spawn in reply.

Thomas slays the the 4 initial rats, and move north to take out two of the climbers.

The minions open fire on the rats closing in on the wolf, slaying three. (Two of the rats took 2 shots to kill)

The wolf attacks the remaining rat.
[roll0] [roll1].

If the rat survives it bites back. [roll2] [roll3]

The surviving climbing rat drops of the wall and 5-ft steps up for a bit
[roll4] [roll5]

The three swimming rats also close, the first two with enough time to spare to make their own attacks, assuming they survive the AoO

[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]

Further south the last 5 rats reach the toward and climb for the top, ending at the parapet at K-19, L-19, and L-20.

sum1won
2010-07-13, 05:44 PM
Tomas whips his chain at the rats as they approach, before turning to smack the one adjacent to him.

AOOS
[roll0] [roll1][roll2]
[roll3] [roll4][roll5]
[roll6] [roll7][roll8]

Attacks
[roll9] [roll10][roll11]
[roll12] [roll13][roll14]

Psionic Dog
2010-07-15, 04:52 PM
sum1won, I think you may need to start posting actions for your fellow players, at least until the end of this attack/round.

After that options including bringing in an alternate for Pelfaid, waiting for your partners to return on their own, or going solo until such a time as they return.

sum1won
2010-07-15, 04:56 PM
:(

Okay, I'll do that if they don't post in the next few days. I'm really really busy for the next few days, so I'll be taking a brief break before jumping back in.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-22, 05:04 PM
Campaign News flash. See OoC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8976088#post8976088).

Psionic Dog
2010-10-14, 10:31 AM
Heh, funny story. I just finished hanging up the shovel when like the zombies you've been fighting this campaign came lurching back to haunt me.

So now I'm dropping notices in each thread to find out who still has held out hope that the game hasn't died.

If you want the grind to continue please drop in to the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9549969#post9549969)