PDA

View Full Version : A special holiday event [4e DM needs help! D:]

Loxagn
2010-05-21, 06:52 PM
First of all, I know my players come to these boards, so.
Mini-me, Shoes, Fork, Matt, Dai, and Jai, please do not read any further.

In my gaming group, I am not normally the DM. At best, I am at times the assistant, helping out with a particular rules issue or presenting the party with new material. However, in light of the holiday that America put there pretty much to say 'Hey! Free explosives and beer for everyone!', I am running a one-shot level 30 adventure.

I'm not stressed about plot, it's meant to be pure fun.

What I am stressed about, however, is the fact that they all want different things. Some want roleplay opportunities, some want hectic combat with lots of enemies, some want epic bosses, and some want this to be the hardest adventure they've ever run.

Now, those things I can do.

But all of them want puzzles. Good ones that aren't going to eat up the entire session solving, but will provoke some thought.

My problem is, the only puzzles I have any real experience with are riddles (which I don't want to resort to except maybe once) and ones more classically meant to be spent a great deal of time on. (I only just barely hinted at using a Sudoku in the adventure somewhere, and I had to duck a player's handbook and a very full bag of dice.)

So, I come to my point. Does anybody have any good puzzle ideas? Because I'm completely stumped.

Yakk
2010-05-21, 07:39 PM
Use some kind of puzzle (with hints) to indicate where the hidden traps (or boosts!) are in combat.

Strange topologies and space warping. Ie, each turn on a given row, creatures are slid at some speed. If they reach the end of a row, they are teleported to some other end of some other row.

A more complex version has the teleportation change destination, in some pattern, one each turn.

Swordgleam
2010-05-21, 07:50 PM
I like matrix logic puzzles. Very simple ones shouldn't take too long to solve.

Yorrin
2010-05-21, 07:54 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153091) happens to still be on the first page and has some good ideas in it. I usually go for stuff like combination locks written in a script the party can't read, or an invisible maze in an antimagic area and filled with illusory pitfalls. Be sure to put a roof on your maze ^_^