PDA

View Full Version : The Marshal

Prodan
2010-05-21, 07:03 PM
This seems like an interesting class to me, but rather weak on the whole and I'm not quite sure what can be done to optimize it.

I guess put some points into Int and pick up Knowledge Devotion? Dipping into it for the skill focus: diplomacy and a few minor abilities, then moving on to something else, like Exemplar?

PId6
2010-05-21, 07:24 PM
Take a single level of it and move on to something better?

Yorrin
2010-05-21, 07:27 PM
Take a single level of it and move on to something better?

This. Use it as a 1-level dip in a Diplomancer build.

Greenish
2010-05-21, 07:28 PM
This seems like an interesting class to me, but rather weak on the whole and I'm not quite sure what can be done to optimize it.

I guess put some points into Int and pick up Knowledge Devotion? Dipping into it for the skill focus: diplomacy and a few minor abilities, then moving on to something else, like Exemplar?Play a White Raven focused warblade or crusader (or bard/either) and kick some derrière.

gbprime
2010-05-21, 07:40 PM
Well you can also use the Auras from Dragon Magic with it, but the only one that adds anything is the energy resistance aura. Otherwise, yeah, just a short dip.

Minor Auras are equal to your CHA bonus. The obvious first choice is Motivate Charisma. If you stick around long enough for a second Minor Aura, Motivate Wisdom is next, as it adds to the Listen, Spot, Sense Motive, et al of your entire group.

Major Auras, if you're just dipping in this class are kind of worthless. They do stack with bardic bonuses and stuff because they're Circumstance Bonuses, so they're not useless, just minor. I recommend picking up something out of Dragon Magic instead, like the energy resistance aura. Unless you're dipping at higher levels, in which case 5 points of resistance is kind of no big deal.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-21, 07:43 PM
It's pretty good in gestalt with any Cha-based character, since the bonuses are almost entirely passive. Otherwise, it's mostly a one-level dip for the skill boost. Niche uses beyond that - for example, Motivate Strength could be useful in a weird tripper build.

Thurbane
2010-05-21, 08:29 PM
I'm actually a fan of the Marshal, despite it being a bit sub-par. The auras aren't awesome, but they're handy for a lot of things. You get 4 skills/level from a decent list, full martial weapon proficiency and armor proficiency. Not having full BAB is a real shame, though.

For a CHA based gish, a dip is OK for MWP, and either Motivate Charisma or Determined Caster.

Kantolin
2010-05-21, 09:29 PM
*Grumble* My problem [or well, one of many problems with Marshal, but something which bugs me] is that you can't motivate multiple stats early.

Thus you kind of have to one-trick pony what you're motivating, as it then takes annoyingly long for you to get most. It'd be far more interesting if you could get access to all of them early and just had to pick which you were motivating.

Oh well. Anyway, my group always finds the 'bonus when flanking' (I think Master of Tactics?) to be the most valuable one, especially with a two weaponer about (or generally a lot of melee-types).

Motivating Dexterity helps with initiative rolls, and thus is probably the one you want up when you're wandering about (Although Motivate Wisdom for awareness checks is a close second).

Knowledge Devotion is probably a really good idea - you get 4+int skill points and all knowledges are in class, and then motivate intelligence at some point.

Be sure you check out the magic item compendium - it contains quite a few useful marshal equipment (Check out the 'Of Valor' set).

I'd focus defensively personally. ^_^

Pluto
2010-05-22, 12:25 AM
Beyond a really neat 1-level dip, there's not a whole lot that can be done with it.

But the Sublime Way Marshal (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528454/Sublime_Way_Variant_Marshal,_ala_Tempest_Stormwind ) is a pretty popular bit of homebrew that takes the idea of the Marshal and actually turns it into an effective class of its own.
Shame about the formatting, though. wizards/gleemax is kind of a wreck nowadays.