PDA

View Full Version : Food that is just... dumb.

Pages : [1] 2

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-21, 07:16 PM
Ok, I'm compiling a personal list of food that is just kind of stupid. Not (necessarily) gross or unappetizing, merely pointless.

#1. KFC Double Down 'Sandwich'
This right here was just eaten by me mere moments ago and sparked the idea for this thread. I got it only out of sheer curiosity. It is two pieces of slimy, grilled chicken with cheese, mayonnaise and bacon between it. Already you may be going 'Whaaaa?'. The thing wouldn't stay together, the ingredients didn't even mesh well for taste, and there is no possible way of eating it without making a huge mess. You could possibly eat it with fork and knife cleanly, but that betray the 'sandwich' part, not to mention you'd have to separate it. No way to cut both sides without it totally sliding apart.

#2. Frosti & Fries
This is another delicacy that I tried out of curiosity from glowing reports of others. It tastes... like you put ice cream on french fries. It's not untasty as such, nor particularly upsetting in consistency (unless you leave the fries in too long). It's just... why do it? Fries taste better without frosti and frosti tastes better without fries.

#3. Pigskins
I'm from the south, heard about it all my life, and so finally tried some. It tastes like fried grease... because that's mainly what it is. Kinda bland and greasy and worth far more as leather. It smells horrible in the making. Make a pigskin for sport, not supper.

#4. Casu Marzu
Was going to put this first, as it's the stupidest of all, but didn't want to think this was just for the ick factor, which it has. Rotten cheese swarming with parasitic maggots that cause intestinal bleeding because they are highly resistant to digestive acids. Can even cause death. It's illegal in most countries. So... WHY IN THE GLASS EYE OF VECNA IS IT EATEN?

The Blackbird
2010-05-21, 07:18 PM
I believe Cracked TV did something like this that was hilarious, so I'll pull something from that and add the chicken donut sandwich.

It's chicken wedged inside a jelly donut and that is all you need know.

BizzaroStormy
2010-05-21, 07:23 PM
The double down sandwich was a good idea, but was poorly executed. That and you got the grilled version when the fried version would hold the ingredients much better.

The frostie and fries makes sense because it gives the salty and sweet taste, kinda like chocolate covered pretzels.

Now are you talking about pork rinds or cracklins? They're pretty different.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-21, 07:26 PM
Now are you talking about pork rinds or cracklins? They're pretty different.

Oh so true, but they are both delicious!

Leecros
2010-05-21, 07:29 PM
Deep fried...anything is pointless. Mostly because almost anything that could be deep fried could be baked and be infinitely healtier for you and still taste good.

also there was a vendor at the local fair here who sold deep fried anything. He literally took random foods and deep fried them and if it failed horribly, like the case was with the cotton candy, then you didn't have to pay for it.

but it was just...just...blech

Yoren
2010-05-21, 07:31 PM
http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Some of them are a little over the top, but that's what makes it so amusing.

Theodoriph
2010-05-21, 07:35 PM
Ok, I'm compiling a personal list of food that is just kind of stupid. Not (necessarily) gross or unappetizing, merely pointless.

#1. KFC Double Down 'Sandwich'
This right here was just eaten by me mere moments ago and sparked the idea for this thread. I got it only out of sheer curiosity. It is two pieces of slimy, grilled chicken with cheese, mayonnaise and bacon between it. Already you may be going 'Whaaaa?'. The thing wouldn't stay together, the ingredients didn't even mesh well for taste, and there is no possible way of eating it without making a huge mess. You could possibly eat it with fork and knife cleanly, but that betray the 'sandwich' part, not to mention you'd have to separate it. No way to cut both sides without it totally sliding apart.

At least it has a good name. First you put it down. Then you have to keep it down. Thus, the double down sandwich. :smallsmile:

Dragero
2010-05-21, 07:41 PM
Hmmm......none come to mind.

But that last one the OP listed....Waaaaa? I mean.....It kills you if you eat it.

Kills you faster than fast food, I mean. :smallwink:

golentan
2010-05-21, 07:44 PM

Noooooo..... I was going to post that link.

I think the stupidest food I can think of is the Banana and Mayonnaise sandwich. It's bananas. And Mayo. In bread. Optionally, with the bananas lightly fried.

Tastes delicious though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-21, 07:48 PM
Deep fried...anything is pointless. Mostly because almost anything that could be deep fried could be baked and be infinitely healtier for you and still taste good.
Deep fried oreos. I had these once at the Renaissance Festival in Tennessee. They may be an abomination, but they are a TASTY abomination.

onthetown
2010-05-21, 07:49 PM

I wouldn't say pointless, as the point of food is to keep us alive; though eating too much of it will cause problems, it's good if you're in a rush and don't have much money.

That said, baked foods do taste infinitely better. I am in LOVE with french fries baked in the oven. Then my mom got a deep fryer about two years ago. I have compared fries. The deep fried ones suck.

"They taste just like McDonald's!" she says. No, they don't. The baked ones taste more like McDonald's then the fried ones do.

And they're just so damn delicious...

Froogleyboy
2010-05-21, 07:49 PM
Deep fried oreos. I had these once at the Renaissance Festival in Tennessee. They may be an abomination, but they are a TASTY abomination.
Best.Food.Ever!

golentan
2010-05-21, 07:50 PM

Deep Fried Coca Cola. That is all. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Coke)

American ingenuity: We can find a way to fry anything.

Theodoriph
2010-05-21, 07:51 PM
Hmmm......none come to mind.

But that last one the OP listed....Waaaaa? I mean.....It kills you if you eat it.

Kills you faster than fast food, I mean. :smallwink:

It's only toxic if the maggots are dead. :smallsmile: As long as they're alive and squirming you're safe. Though the maggots themselves can give you lesions, lacerations and other gastro intestinal problems....though they don't seem to be that deadly. There's also the possibility of having them infect you...but I imagine you can treat a maggot infestation.

Leecros
2010-05-21, 07:54 PM
"They taste just like McDonald's!" she says.

McDonalds will KILL you.

Seriously the worst fast food around...at least my place.

Dragero
2010-05-21, 07:54 PM
"They taste just like McDonald's!" she says. No, they don't. The baked ones taste more like McDonald's then the fried ones do.

And they're just so damn delicious...

But....McDonalds Fries are......Horrid Tasting! Blech! Blech! Apply fire!

Try some homemade homefries/ fried mashed potatoes (Made kind of like pancakes)

PhoeKun
2010-05-21, 07:59 PM
Food has two potential goals (and the best can do both) - to provide the nutrients we need to survive, and to taste good.

The former is easy to determine, and a great many foods are provably better at this job than others. The latter is a matter of taste (aha...ha... eh). But if enough people enjoy the flavor of something, then there you go. That's why it exists. If you have a problem with it, I suggest you sit down and have a long, hard talk with your taste buds.

There are a lot of foods I don't care for. And some, like the KFC sandwich, intimidate me. But I'm not going to go around questioning its right to exist, and I'm certainly not going to look down on people for eating it.

UglyPanda
2010-05-21, 07:59 PM
There are a few more uses for food: feeding livestock, a source of revenue, inducing vomiting or bowel movements, performing ceremonies, and healing the sick, to name a few.

#3. Pigskins
I'm from the south, heard about it all my life, and so finally tried some. It tastes like fried grease... because that's mainly what it is. Kinda bland and greasy and worth far more as leather. It smells horrible in the making. Make a pigskin for sport, not supper. Are you referring to pork rinds, which are fried pig skin? There's a very simple reason why they're eaten: capitalism. We have no other use for the skin, so companies either fry or pickle them before selling them as food. Same deal with the hooves and there is at least one recipe for the tails.

Cow skin can be used for leather; sheep skin can be used for various things*; chicken skin is delicious, but the feathers are useless and are occasionally removed through genetic engineering.

*Not condoms, those are intestines.

pinwiz
2010-05-21, 08:02 PM
fried mashed potatoes (Made kind of like pancakes)

These are down right wonderful when cooked correctly.

A lot of very tasty food is pretty horrible for you. While camping, a friend and I made burgers. We dubbed them "Pimp Burgers" (we were young and oh so stupid). They are campfire double bacon cheeseburgers. The grilled onions put on them are cooked in the bacon grease. That's 2 patties, 2 slices of processed cheese, four pieces of bacon (at least), and bacon fried onions. on a bun. While this sounds like a normal double bacon chesseburger, the kicker is that the burger has to drip grease. If it doesn't drip, it isn't a pimp burger.

We each had two of those, and we sat around the campfire for hours, praying that we wouldn't puke them up. I don't want to talk about what they did after we had digested them. :smalleek:

Naturally, we've done this at least 2 more times. Those things taste amazing. :smallbiggrin:

ScottishDragon
2010-05-21, 08:08 PM

Red velvet pancakes?Must try!!(puts it down on things that I need to eat once in my life after a whole can of vanilla frosting and before deep fried twinkie)

Leecros
2010-05-21, 08:09 PM
Red velvet pancakes?Must try!!(puts it down on things that I need to eat once in my life after a whole can of vanilla frosting and before deep fried twinkie)

that may very well be the Last meal you eat...

Superglucose
2010-05-21, 08:10 PM
Properly fried foods aren't actually all that unhealthy, especially when using extremely high temperatures (350-400 F), good, non-saturated fat oils (Peanut oil), and knowing what you're doing. Also deep fried foods have a texture that you just can't quite get from baking.

also there was a vendor at the local fair here who sold deep fried anything. He literally took random foods and deep fried them and if it failed horribly, like the case was with the cotton candy, then you didn't have to pay for it.
See, that's awesome.

@ The french fries comment; no. Just, no. Fries should be double fried in a deep friar at somewhere close to 400F, and shouldn't stay in longer than a minute or two for either dip. Then they should dry out on a towel. Do this and you'll find that you get a super light and fluffy interior with a crispy exterior that's impossible to get with just baking.

mucat
2010-05-21, 08:10 PM
Not true. Deep fried tofu is amazing, and cannot be duplicated by baking (at least not in my experience.) Cut the tofu into cubes a little bigger than a d6, or rectangles the same shape as, but a little bigger than, a domino. Submerge them in hot oil (canola oil is good, though there is an annoyingly narrow temperature window where you can fry things without burning the oil) for about five minutes or until crisp on the outside, still soft on the inside.

Then either cook them with something spicy that you like (I make a sort of stew with the tofu cubes, tomatoes, onions, and hot peppers) or make a spicy dipping sauce (try mixing fish sauce, vinegar, water, lemon juice, and once again, hot peppers) and eat them with that.

If someone tells me they can't stand tofu, I do the above. The only failed conversions are people who: (a) don't like spicy food in the first place, or (b) refused to try it at all because it had tofu in it. (In which case, you can substitute tilapia or some other white, flaky fish for the tofu; that works almost as well.)

Dragero
2010-05-21, 08:11 PM
I stumbled across deep fried mashed potatoes before dinner one night.

I had leftover mashed potatoes
I wanted frenchfries/homefries.

Tossed them in a fryingpan and....nearly died from the tastyness.

Leecros
2010-05-21, 08:23 PM
Not true. Deep fried tofu is amazing, and cannot be duplicated by baking (at least not in my experience.
Tofu is an exception... i did say almost anything and not everything

in fact Tofu is an exception in just about anything dealing with food.

is it food? no one knoooooowwwwwssssss

Properly fried foods aren't actually all that unhealthy, especially when using extremely high temperatures (350-400 F), good, non-saturated fat oils (Peanut oil), and knowing what you're doing. Also deep fried foods have a texture that you just can't quite get from baking.

well, if approached the right way almost nothing is dangerous or unhealthy. Even when prepared correctly i'd still take baking food over anything deep fried and it's still probably better for you since its not being cooked in OMGIMONFIRE temperatured oil.

also the millions of people with deep friers i can gaurantee that not even 20% know exactly what they're doing.

Winter_Wolf
2010-05-21, 08:24 PM
Deep fried pizza. Saw it on the food network yesterday I think. I mean really. Words fail me.

Gumchuks. Probably spelled that wrong, but the important thing is that the traditional preparation is to take fish heads and bury them in the ground until they're nice and decayed. Then you dig them up and eat them. I like fish head soup, I even like a cooked fish head provided it's a nice meaty fish. BUT I eat them when they're fresh, not when they're decayed sludge.

On a similar note: brown jellyfish. Another traditional thing, which is apparently mildly hallucinogenic, but I'm just going to take people's word for it, because it's a freaking jellyfish. Having been stung by those things before, I just really can't even imagine what would possess a person to willingly put it in their mouth in the first place.

edit
@^: Tofu isn't food, it's a failed experiment in elixir of immortality. :smalltongue: True story.

Superglucose
2010-05-21, 08:50 PM
and it's still probably better for you since its not being cooked in OMGIMONFIRE temperatured oil.
I can't even begin to describe how wrong you are. Olive, Peanut, and other oils are exceptionally and amazingly good for you. Monounsaturated fats promote HDL and discourage production of LDL, and polyunsaturated fats discourage the production of both types of cholesterol.

In fact, linoleic acid (which makes up more than half of peanut oil) is one of two essential fatty acids which humans cannot produce but rather need to survive.

The temperature of the oil doesn't make any difference as to how "good" or "bad" the food is because the oil doesn't change chemical properties at those temperatures... that's more or less why it's used to cook at those temperatures.

So here's a quick health lesson for you (and everyone else out there): FATS ARE NOT BAD FOR YOU. Certain kinds of fats (saturated and trans are the obvious examples) are bad for you. The human body needs to ingest fats. The human body likes to ingest fats, so you're in danger of consuming too much. Fried chicken; however, as an example contains extremely low quantities of fat if done properly. After all, chicken is an extremely lean meat and frying does not add considerable fat to the food when done properly. And anyone who thinks that you can get the same texture out of baking a chicken as you can from frying it (pan, deep, or otherwise) should try it sometime.

Oh and here's some actual linkage so you don't think I'm just randomly spewing nonsense:

Roasted chicken (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2)

Fried chicken, oil unspecified (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/poultry-products/702/2). + .5g of fat, which honestly could be due to computational errors since somehow frying a 52g piece of chicken gives you (apparently) +1g of protein.

also the millions of people with deep friers i can gaurantee that not even 20% know exactly what they're doing.
"Deep fried foods are worthless because most people don't know how to do it."

"Calculus is worthless because most people don't know how to do it."

I'm sorry, but what?

Runestar
2010-05-21, 09:11 PM
I am convinced that MacDonalds is a piece of s....

I eat a proper meal consisting of rice, meat and vegetables, it can keep me sated till 5+PM (plus I still have energy to go for a quick run before dinner). I eat a value meal at noon, I am hungry barely 2 hours later, and I don't feel like it gives me any energy. I just feel bloated and sluggish. Before I know it, I am reaching for the fridge to make myself a sandwich just to keep the hunger pangs down...:smallfrown:

Leecros
2010-05-21, 09:21 PM
I can't even begin to describe how wrong you are. Olive, Peanut, and other oils are exceptionally and amazingly good for you. Monounsaturated fats promote HDL and discourage production of LDL, and polyunsaturated fats discourage the production of both types of cholesterol.
In fact, linoleic acid (which makes up more than half of peanut oil) is one of two essential fatty acids which humans cannot produce but rather need to survive.
you can still intake too much of it and get fat and deep frying anything in any kind of oils is a GREAT way to intake too much of it.
Just because it's essential(in certain quantities) doesn't mean it's good for you in large quantities. too much of a good thing is bad in terms of food, now generally it won't be an issue if you exercised properly daily, but most people don't do.

"Deep fried foods are worthless because most people don't know how to do it."

"Calculus is worthless because most people don't know how to do it."

I'm sorry, but what?

okay well one i never said Deep fried foods were worthless, just stated that because many people do not know how to do it correctly so that it was healthful, it's not healthy. that's a long LONG way away from saying somethings worthless because you don't understand it.

Two. Deep frying has its place. I deep fry things(not at every meal) but it's a good treat. I just don't do it everyday. Ultimately though it has one place, it tends to make things(within reason) taste better.

My point is that unless you're educated in these things, do research, or keep an eye on your weight then deep frying causes more harm than good. As i said if approached the right way almost nothing is dangerous or unhealthy. And via the point of this thread (pointless food). Deep Frying is pointless, you can cook things just as well in the oven and still get food (people lived before things were deep fried) and unless you do the necessisary research in order to make the healthier foods then it is NOT better than other ways of cooking.

and point two, unless you can stand up and say "Most people use a deep fryer correctly and do everything necessary to get somewhat healthy food" my point stands.

I'll give credit where credit is due, i did know a good bit about deep frying, not quite as much as you, so congrats for that, but i disagree that Deep Frying ultimately is a good thing. You're maybe 1 out of a hundred thousand that know all of that, if there was a way to teach the other 99,999 out of a hundred thousand how to use it correctly then we'd get somewhere.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-21, 09:26 PM
Most of the stuff on that "this is why you're fat" site looks disgusting. But some......nomnomnom.

Innis Cabal
2010-05-21, 09:32 PM
I saw the s'more's pie, took one look at, rushed out and bought the stuff to make it. It is now in the fridge, waiting to be eaten.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-21, 09:34 PM
I saw the s'more's pie, took one look at, rushed out and bought the stuff to make it. It is now in the fridge, waiting to be eaten.

I want to make Red velvet pancakes. Mmmmmmm.

Oooh. Chocolate pancakes might be good too.

Kuma Da
2010-05-21, 09:37 PM
Stepping away from the frywar, here.

Nato.

No, not the international political entity. Nato-the-bean-product. Some of you may have had it, particularly those of you with an interest in Japanese cuisine.

Basically, it's fermented soybeans. That doesn't sound all that bad compared with kimchi or lutefisk, but then you realize that it was soybeans fermented by way of spiderman. While you're trying to eat it, it's trying to ensnare you. Dropping a raw egg yolk in it can make it slightly more manageable. So can thrashing the bajeesus out of it. But at the end of the day, you're still dealing with massive translucent unbreakable ropes anchoring your food to your plate, and occasionally also to you.

I have lost coats to nato.

That said, I think it's delicious. I have no sense of self-preservation.

Meg
2010-05-21, 09:41 PM
Spaghetti and meatballs... On a stick. Delicious, in an odd way. But it is pretty dumb. Om nom.

Also: Coffee on a stick. Not delicious. Not nutritious.

Coidzor
2010-05-21, 10:02 PM
Meg:So... Coffee so scorched and burnt it's been capable of being formed into a stick? :smallconfused:

Mystic Muse
2010-05-21, 10:04 PM
Meg:So... Coffee so scorched and burnt it's been capable of being formed into a stick? :smallconfused:

I would think you'd put coffee in a glass. Put a stick in it and let it freeze.

Innis Cabal
2010-05-21, 10:18 PM
Stepping away from the frywar, here.

Nato.

No, not the international political entity. Nato-the-bean-product. Some of you may have had it, particularly those of you with an interest in Japanese cuisine.

Basically, it's fermented soybeans. That doesn't sound all that bad compared with kimchi or lutefisk, but then you realize that it was soybeans fermented by way of spiderman. While you're trying to eat it, it's trying to ensnare you. Dropping a raw egg yolk in it can make it slightly more manageable. So can thrashing the bajeesus out of it. But at the end of the day, you're still dealing with massive translucent unbreakable ropes anchoring your food to your plate, and occasionally also to you.

I have lost coats to nato.

That said, I think it's delicious. I have no sense of self-preservation.

Nato is actually -VERY- healthy. So...dosn't belong here.

Cealocanth
2010-05-21, 10:25 PM
A: Diet coke and apple juice mixed untill you add just enough coke to turn the water coke colored. A pointless food, but surprisingly tasty...

B: Rocky mountain oysters. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_mountain_oysters) A delicacy where I come from, I find them...disgusting. They make a juicy squeesh when bitten into, are extremely tough and chewy, and taste like overcooked octopus with a little hint of gag inducing hormones. How can anyone eat this stuff?

C: I Can't Believe it's Not Butter. An attempt to recreate a butter-like substance that looks and tastes like real butter without being butter itself. What's the point? Why not just use real butter?

MCerberus
2010-05-21, 10:31 PM
Where I live the Italian neighborhood of The Hill decided that pasta would be better fried. They chose ravioli and there was much rejoicing.

Then someone ruined the fun by saying 'maybe we can do that with cow brains'.

Deathslayer7
2010-05-21, 10:46 PM
dont ever eat what we polish people call "flaki."

It is pig intestine soup, for all you Americans.

Bleh. :smallyuk:

Ravens_cry
2010-05-21, 10:55 PM
The most pointless food?
Those pre-packed 'lunches' that consist of over salty 'cheese' paste and a few greasy crackers. And the amount of garbage involved per food value is ridiculous. You got the container, the top and the plastic stick.
It's pretty darn pointless, if you ask this monkey.

Axinian
2010-05-21, 10:58 PM
Chocolate-covered bacon. So stupid it's GENIUS!

Seriously, it's good. I don't know where you can find it you should.

Recaiden
2010-05-21, 11:00 PM
Chocolate-covered bacon. So stupid it's GENIUS!

Seriously, it's good. I don't know where you can find it you should.

So stupid it's really stupid, I think you mean. :smalltongue: I tried a little piece once, and it was terrible. :smallyuk:

Ravens_cry
2010-05-21, 11:05 PM
I disagree with the OP about Frosties and Fires. If the fries are real hot and fresh with black pepper, it is a wonderful meeting of contrasts. Is it good for you? HELLS no. But I like it a lot.

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-21, 11:11 PM
I want to make Red velvet pancakes. Mmmmmmm.
Me too. A lot of the stuff on that site is disgusting, but there are a few things that look really good.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-21, 11:13 PM
that Breakfast Cabin, for instance. Yummy.

MCerberus
2010-05-21, 11:18 PM
I never really figured out the appeal of the bacobominations. Sure bacon's tasty in small numbers but why in hell would you need to do ANYTHING that requires two pounds of it made into a weave and slathered with even more grease.

Most of these things don't appear good at all, just "Look what stupid thing we did with bacon." Aside from doing your best to ruin your taste for bacon, the texture would be a nightmare and your intestines WILL seek immediate revenge for what you did to them.

Mechanichi
2010-05-21, 11:58 PM
The glass burger. It tastes like bleeding.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-22, 12:04 AM
your intestines WILL seek immediate revenge for what you did to them.

After I make and eat the stuff I'm finding on here (all dessert stuff.) I think this applies to me.

EDIT: Oh God. What is this weird obsession with bacon? Is there anything that they haven't made out of bacon yet? (things that are not PG-13 don't count) I swear that they just think "Hmm. How can I make this more horrific. I know! MOAR BAKON!"

Bhu
2010-05-22, 12:20 AM
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

The DOuble Bypass Burger at teh Vortex Bar and Grill in Atlanta: "Topped with
two fried eggs, six slices of American cheese, and
eight slices of bacon, all served between the two
grilled cheese sandwiches that we use in place of
the regular hamburger buns."

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Chowdown_Countdown/Episodes_Travel_Guides
the travel guides have lots more weirdness

pinwiz
2010-05-22, 12:50 AM
After I make and eat the stuff I'm finding on here (all dessert stuff.) I think this applies to me.

EDIT: Oh God. What is this weird obsession with bacon? Is there anything that they haven't made out of bacon yet? (things that are not PG-13 don't count) I swear that they just think "Hmm. How can I make this more horrific. I know! MOAR BAKON!"

Just to take this one step further, an all bacon restaurant would be amazing. In an awesome sort of way. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-05-22, 01:02 AM
Just to take this one step further, an all bacon restaurant would be amazing. In an awesome sort of way. :smallbiggrin:

.....*Vomits*

I'm sorry, but the idea of an all one food restaurant disgusts me.

pinwiz
2010-05-22, 01:08 AM
.....*Vomits*

I'm sorry, but the idea of an all one food restaurant disgusts me.

No no no. It's not that everything is made exclusively from bacon, it's just that everything on the menu includes bacon. So the lunch menu would be something like BLTs, bacon cheeseburgers, salad with bacon bits, and other things that include bacon. Of course, there would be bacon inspired dishes, but it wouldn't be too ridiculous.

Also, realize this is not for everyone, it is intended to be a novelty restaurant idea. But i'd love it. :smallcool:

Mystic Muse
2010-05-22, 01:11 AM
No no no. It's not that everything is made exclusively from bacon, it's just that everything on the menu includes bacon. So the lunch menu would be something like BLTs, bacon cheeseburgers, salad with bacon bits, and other things that include bacon. Of course, there would be bacon inspired dishes, but it wouldn't be too ridiculous.

Oh. That wouldn't be quite so bad. I'm a big fan of bacon cheeseburgers. But on that "This is why you're fat" site I could swear that at least 80% of the stuff on there had bacon.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-22, 01:25 AM
A: Diet coke and apple juice mixed untill you add just enough coke to turn the water coke colored. A pointless food, but surprisingly tasty...
It's probably healthier then msot of the food mentioned here, what with the Vitamin C in the Apple Juice.

B: Rocky mountain oysters. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_mountain_oysters) A delicacy where I come from, I find them...disgusting. They make a juicy squeesh when bitten into, are extremely tough and chewy, and taste like overcooked octopus with a little hint of gag inducing hormones. How can anyone eat this stuff?

That old adage of using all the buffalo means using ALL the buffalo.

C: I Can't Believe it's Not Butter. An attempt to recreate a butter-like substance that looks and tastes like real butter without being butter itself. What's the point? Why not just use real butter?
Same reason people buy soy meat like products. They want something, but they don't want the animal product. Or they think that butter is less healthy, but they still want that wonderful taste that butter has. Or are lactose intolerant and can't take butter without needing to run to the bathroom after.
Hardly pointless.

Runestar
2010-05-22, 01:26 AM

Bleh.

My favourite!!! :smallbiggrin:

Only bummer is that it is so hard to find a stall that washes them thoroughly enough to get rid of that gritty taste. :smallconfused:

Together with Kway Chap.
http://eatbma.blogspot.com/2006/06/garden-street-kway-chap.html

Yoren
2010-05-22, 01:35 AM
Had to run to work so I didn't have time to put up some of my favorites:

Guinness Chocolate Pudding (http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/post/450142688/guinness-chocolate-pudding-via-sprinklesbakes)

Bacon Turtles! (http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/post/385824028/bacon-cheese-turtleburgers-ground-beef-pattie)

and most favorite ever EL NINO!! (http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/post/212954411/el-nino-ground-beef-sauteed-onions-sour-cream)

Mewtarthio
2010-05-22, 01:38 AM
McDonald's is... well, it's cheap and fast. I'll grant it that. If you're in a big hurry and tight on cash, I can see why you might want to resort to that. Personally, if there was no food place besides McDonald's that I could feasibly get to, and if I had no food on hand or time to prepare some, then I'd probably take up fasting for a change. But I can see how someone else might eat at McDonald's.

Re: Bacon:

Mmm... It's actually been quite a while since I've had real bacon. I don't really have the patience to prepare breakfast (it's all cereal and fruit for me). When I visit my mom, she gives me this stuff made out of turkeys, which isn't bad, but isn't bacon (what is it about motherhood that makes "healthy alternative food" taste like the food it's replacing?).

Tofu is an exception... i did say almost anything and not everything

in fact Tofu is an exception in just about anything dealing with food.

is it food? no one knoooooowwwwwssssss

My grandmother used to feed me tofu. Are you going to argue with the memory of my sweet grandmother?

Serpentine
2010-05-22, 01:38 AM
I stumbled across deep fried mashed potatoes before dinner one night.

I had leftover mashed potatoes
I wanted frenchfries/homefries.

Tossed them in a fryingpan and....nearly died from the tastyness.I think you just reinvented potato scallops... Except that checking my Ultimate Potato Cookbook says that they involve thinly slicing and frying potatoes, rather than mashing them. Hash browns require it to be boiled a bit then chopped and fried, while potato croquettes have mashed potato, butter/cream, egg and seasoning, then flouring and frying. There's also twice-cooked potato puree (capsicum, mashed potato, butter, seasoning, turn into patties, shallow fry), and potato noodle nibblies (mashed potato, butter, cheese, spices, knead into a dough, deep fry). Anyway, point being, it's been done :smalltongue: And is, indeed, delicious.
Nato is actually -VERY- healthy. So...dosn't belong here.The thread is "dumb food", not "unhealthy food". A lot of unhealthy food is dumb, but not all dumb food is unhealthy.

On that note, the Bushtucker Man once talked about a type of berry or fruit. I think it was on a stinging tree. Might not have been, but it was something very similar at least, so I'll pretend. Anyway, he pointed out this tree, and the berries on it, and talked about how they were edible and even nutritious. But, he also pointed out, it was almost certainly not worth trying to get, because if you even brush one of the leaves, you will be in a lot of pain. I think that's a pretty dumb food.

Runestar
2010-05-22, 01:50 AM
McDonald's is... well, it's cheap and fast. I'll grant it that. If you're in a big hurry and tight on cash, I can see why you might want to resort to that. Personally, if there was no food place besides McDonald's that I could feasibly get to, and if I had no food on hand or time to prepare some, then I'd probably take up fasting for a change. But I can see how someone else might eat at McDonald's.

On the contrary, Macdonalds is neither fast nor cheap, at least not in my area.

To put things in perspective, a "value" meal easily costs $5 (more if I upsize or change the drink), while I can have a proper meal outdoors at a normal coffee shop at ~$3.50 - $4, one that fills me up without slowing me down.

That reminds me...will teachers go to hell for planning a math lesson on money using a Macdonald's Menu? :smalleek:

Ravens_cry
2010-05-22, 02:03 AM

I looked it up on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaki), and it sounds quite good. The recipe used beef tripe admittedly.

Coidzor
2010-05-22, 02:17 AM

Nope. They've made that stuff out of bacon too.

That reminds me...will teachers go to hell for planning a math lesson on money using a Macdonald's Menu? :smalleek:

Dunno, Never run into a Macdonald's. I imagine as far as pubs go, they wouldn't be very enjoyable, but then, my family has a bit of bad blood between them and the MacDonalds in ancient times over a loss of proper clan status due to them assassinating the clan chief and stealing the clan lands.

It's sadly true.

Not sure whether the beef heart hooked up to electrodes like a frankenstenian monstrosity is better or worse.

I'm-a go with it's all about the same level of OMG, KILL IT WITH FIRE.

golentan
2010-05-22, 02:20 AM
Nope. They've made that stuff out of bacon too.

It's sadly true.

Lev
2010-05-22, 02:56 AM
If you deep fry pumpkin pie from costco, it doesn't change in appearance.
AT ALL

Rockphed
2010-05-22, 03:42 AM
If you deep fry pumpkin pie from costco, it doesn't change in appearance.
AT ALL

Is this a pro-deep-fry or anti-deep-fry argument? Or is this just an attack on pumpkin pie from costco?

Shikton
2010-05-22, 04:15 AM
Sort of on the same note, though not everything on this list is edible: Steve Don't Eat It! (http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/)

All things here are meant to be eaten by humans. One thing by dogs. Still a good read, and I guess some of you may even know about this site.

Can list some things people eat here in Norway. I wouldn't even try these though:
Smalahove: Sheep head. Plain and simple. The eyes are supposed to be a delicacy...no thanks.
Lutefisk: Fish prepared in lye. Yep, lye. No, it won't melt your mouth or anything, but it looks like a blob of jellyfish when it's prepared. Nasty stuff.

Fri
2010-05-22, 04:23 AM
I still don't get this thread. What are 'dumb' food again? Ridiculously unhealthy food? Food that looks dumb? Food that whoever eat them are dumb? Food you don't like?

Still, my entry for this thread is a bit different. What I'm saying is dumb is american's attitude for offal.

Offals are delicacy, not trash! Sometimes they're more expensive than meat here.

Lev
2010-05-22, 04:27 AM
Is this a pro-deep-fry or anti-deep-fry argument? Or is this just an attack on pumpkin pie from costco?
I'll always be pro-deep fry. Live hard, be original, or die.

It's not pro or anti, it's just plain scary.

-Edit
Scarily delicious*

Shikton
2010-05-22, 04:30 AM
I still don't get this thread. What are 'dumb' food again? Ridiculously unhealthy food? Food that looks dumb? Food that whoever eat them are dumb? Food you don't like?

Personal interpretation: food you normally wouldn't consider eating. I'd say "Weird" food, but that's being nitpicky. :smallsmile:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-22, 05:14 AM
Dunno, Never run into a Macdonald's. I imagine as far as pubs go, they wouldn't be very enjoyable, but then, my family has a bit of bad blood between them and the MacDonalds in ancient times over a loss of proper clan status due to them assassinating the clan chief and stealing the clan lands.

So we really should be seeing McCoidzors around the world, instead of McDonalds?

Ashen Lilies
2010-05-22, 05:33 AM
Personal interpretation: food you normally wouldn't consider eating. I'd say "Weird" food, but that's being nitpicky. :smallsmile:

Own personal interpretation: Food that has no reason to exist. Ever. No, not even then.

thubby
2010-05-22, 06:03 AM
if Prometheus was tied to a rock and eaten for years on end over stealing something like fire, then there's some poor bastard tied to a cactus being repeatedly lit on fire over fried oreos.

as to food that shouldn't be, i would say slimjims. beef jerky is already a convenient travel food, how in the nine hells did they manage to load it up with chemicals?

Winter_Wolf
2010-05-22, 10:30 AM
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Chowdown_Countdown/Episodes_Travel_Guides
the travel guides have lots more weirdness

I threw up a little bit when I read that description. There's a restaurant somewhere 'round here that does something similar, but not as extreme. I still have trouble accepting that people 1: actually would be willing to eat this, and 2: someone actually sat down and put some thought into this idea, then decided it was good enough to offer to others. It's not "Man food", it's "Dead Man food".

Starscream
2010-05-22, 10:49 AM
I just watched a video by the Cinema Snob in which he tries an energy drink from Asia that has four ingredients:

1) Water
2) Sugar
3) Bird Saliva (from Cave Swifts, whose saliva solidifies into a flaky substance they build nests out of)
4) "White Fungus" (Tremella fuciformis, to be specific)

He actually concludes that it's not that bad, in a "dare your friends to try this" sort of way.

bluewind95
2010-05-22, 11:04 AM
I read/watched that India has.... cow pee. As a soda flavour. And apparently just as a drink.

Leecros
2010-05-22, 11:11 AM
Is this a pro-deep-fry or anti-deep-fry argument?
no, you missed that on page 1 :smallbiggrin:

also i will never eat at McDonalds again. One morning it was busy and we were waiting in line(at the front of the line right in front of the cash register) and they were busy going around, they had two registers opened and after about 20 minutes an employee came over and said "Has your food arrived yet?" "um...no, its been 20 minutes we haven't even ordered yet" "well, may i take your order?" "no, no...we'll just go somewhere that DOESN'T make us sit around for half an hour beforehand"

we had an important meeting to go to...which is the only time i ever eat fast food(when i'm in a hurry)

AtomicKitKat
2010-05-22, 11:16 AM
Mayonnaise. Let's melt butter down, then mix it with raw egg white, and chill it. As is, egg white contains all those chelators, which is a recipe for bad heartburn(unless you are suffering heavy metal toxicity), and/or diarrhoea. I always return any sandwiches or burgers on the spot, if they put mayonnaise and I explicitly requested none.

I just watched a video by the Cinema Snob in which he tries an energy drink from Asia that has four ingredients:

1) Water
2) Sugar
3) Bird Saliva (from Cave Swifts, whose saliva solidifies into a flaky substance they build nests out of)

He actually concludes that it's not that bad, in a "dare your friends to try this" sort of way.

I actually drink that every now and again. It's a lot better than it sounds. Think of sweet water with jelly strips in it. That's more or less what it tastes like.

Can list some things people eat here in Norway. I wouldn't even try these though:
Smalahove: Sheep head. Plain and simple. The eyes are supposed to be a delicacy...no thanks.
Lutefisk: Fish prepared in lye. Yep, lye. No, it won't melt your mouth or anything, but it looks like a blob of jellyfish when it's prepared. Nasty stuff.

I am terrified by the thought of lutefisk and hakarl(rotten shark, Icelandic delicacy, saw it on a show by Andrew Zimmern). I've had chicken eyes(slightly salty, kind of like those salmon egg sushi, except there's a small spongy bit similar to joint cartilage in the middle) before, and fish/prawn eyes. I've even tried crab eyes, although they're kind of hard.

Meh. I'll see your pig intestine soup, and raise you a kway chap, bak kut teh, and pig innard soup. Kway Chap has already been linked. Oh yeah, and I actually enjoy eating all of these. :smallbiggrin:

What the site linked doesn't know about(or at least, failed to mention), is that apart from the rather ordinary intestines(the kind most people eat nowadays is the large intestine and rectum, which are kind of blah. The small intestine is usually stuffed with some powder, which is presumably rice or something that is fed to the pigs shortly before slaughter), other optional bits include tongue, and depending on the stall-owner Fallopian tubes(euphemistically referred to with the same term as intestines in Chinese). Prior to the late 1990s, we could also get blood cubes(literally, blood from the pig slaughtering, that has been mixed with some salt, and left to cure, then cut into tofu-like cubes).

Bak Kut Teh. That's actually pretty bland, being pork ribs in garlic and pepper soup. Pig's Innard Soup is the gutsier version, comprising pig's liver, intestines, and kidneys, and accompanied by pig's trotters(in soy sauce), and salted preserved vegetables. The soup base itself is pretty much the same though.

Pig's brain soup: I used to be fed this prior to exams. From about age 6(when I entered Primary 1) onwards, in fact. Ridiculously high in cholesterol, but taste/texture-wise, it's really just like bitter tofu(the bitterness could just be the herbs used though). I also had goat's brain soup at a Muslim food stall(cooked similar to sup kambing, which is mutton soup, with a lot of pepper, garlic, and some other stuff. Looks kind of gross to the uninitiated though, since the soup usually comes out green, with a lot of stuff suspended in it) a few times. I would have tried calf brains, but by the time I even heard of it, BSE(mad cow) panic was in full swing, and pretty much nobody was selling.

So yeah, bring on the innards/viscera/guts. I'll eat them all! One of these days, I might even try some haggis, if anyone can recommend me a place in Singapore that makes/sells it.

toasty
2010-05-22, 11:21 AM
Mayonnaise. Let's melt butter down, then mix it with raw egg white, and chill it. As is, egg white contains all those chelators, which is a recipe for bad heartburn(unless you are suffering heavy metal toxicity), and/or diarrhoea. I always return any sandwiches or burgers on the spot, if they put mayonnaise and I explicitly requested none.

Don't come here... they put mayo on everything they don't put ketchup on. Its not the most pleasant thing in the world. Worst of all... they is NO mustard! How can you not have mustard?!

Leecros
2010-05-22, 11:22 AM
Don't come here... they put mayo on everything they don't put ketchup on. Its not the most pleasant thing in the world. Worst of all... they is NO mustard! How can you not have mustard?!

Very easy, i hate mustard, don't like the taste, the texture, the color, the anything...just not appetizing to me.

Serpentine
2010-05-22, 11:29 AM
I eat raw pancake batter by the bowlfull. Haven't come across any of those raw eggwhite symptoms yet. Nor have I heard of any of the thousands of mayonnaise-eaters complaining about anything...

AtomicKitKat
2010-05-22, 11:46 AM
I eat raw pancake batter by the bowlfull. Haven't come across any of those raw eggwhite symptoms yet. Nor have I heard of any of the thousands of mayonnaise-eaters complaining about anything...

My suspicion is that it's lactose-tolerance related. I do know that anytime I encounter most "white sauces", bad gas is practically guaranteed within 15-60 minutes.

tribble
2010-05-22, 11:51 AM

:confused:?
MickeyD's french fries are pretty much the bar by which we measure fast food french fries. Just eat them first and they're delicious. (fast food has a half-life for taste, and it's usually 60 seconds or less.)

Leecros
2010-05-22, 12:03 PM
MickeyD's french fries are pretty much the bar by which we measure fast food french fries. Just eat them first and they're delicious. (fast food has a half-life for taste, and it's usually 60 seconds or less.)

McDonalds fries are some of the worst in the business right now. Around here only Burger King has worse fries(and they make up with it with their chicken fries). They're not delicious in the least, i'd rather chew on cardboard.

I'd rather eat Wendys(which i believe is less known anyways) french fries or KFC's Potato wedges(which aren't exactly french fries) than McDonald's Fries.

if you eat them first, which is most likely since McDonalds is one of the most well known fast food restaurant then yeah, you would probably find them good...until you go to another fast food restaurant. Then they fall flat.

pinwiz
2010-05-22, 12:06 PM
McDonalds fries are some of the worst in the business right now. Around here only Burger King has worse fries(and they make up with it with their chicken fries). They're not delicious in the least, i'd rather chew on cardboard.

I'd rather eat Wendys(which i believe is less known anyways) french fries or KFC's Potato wedges(which aren't exactly french fries) than McDonald's Fries.

if you eat them first, which is most likely since McDonalds is one of the most well known fast food restaurant then yeah, you would probably find them good...until you go to another fast food restaurant. Then they fall flat.

I find McDonalds' french fries fluctuate a lot, depending on how old they are, which one you go to, whether the salt got distributed evenly, and some sort of random factor that sometimes makes the potatoes horrible. I think Jack in the Box's curly fries are the best fries on the fast food chain market right now.

Of course this is all moot, because small time burger joints surpass them all anyway.

tyckspoon
2010-05-22, 12:09 PM

Perhaps your locals are different, but 'round here McDonald's fries are both liberally over-salted and over-greasy, as well as being cut too thin so the grease and salt completely overwhelms the potato. Which is fine if what you actually wanted was a grease-salt-ketchup delivery vehicle, I guess, but I happen to like potatos. (For my money, the best traditional-style [ie, not seasoning-batter coated] fries are usually served at cheesesteak/grilled sub places, since they tend to be cut thicker and not as viciously overseasoned.)

Leecros
2010-05-22, 12:11 PM
I find McDonalds' french fries fluctuate a lot, depending on how old they are, which one you go to, whether the salt got distributed evenly, and some sort of random factor that sometimes makes the potatoes horrible. I think Jack in the Box's curly fries are the best fries on the fast food chain market right now.

Yeah, i noticed that i used to think the McDonalds in my area had okay french fries(still would take Wendys/KFC over them though). And then they changed owners and thus my "would rather eat cardboard" opinion came into existence and unfortunately there are no Jack in the Box's around my place so i can't agree or disagree with that. :smalltongue:

MCerberus
2010-05-22, 12:32 PM
Speaking about potato products, I've been noticing that chips have mostly been getting a lot less starchy resulting in bags that are almost limp. I usually buy Ruffles now and let them go stale a little bit.

That creeps some people out.

KuReshtin
2010-05-22, 02:03 PM

Double Bypass Burger? Bah!! How about the QUADRUPLE BYPASS Burger (http://www.heartattackgrill.com/)?

(Hopefully the post won't get edited by the Mods)

Meg
2010-05-22, 02:28 PM

Kyuubi had it right. It's essentially a popsicle made with coffee instead of fruit juice.

Fri
2010-05-22, 03:32 PM

1) Water
2) Sugar

Bird nest is VERY EXPENSIVE food. Used to be caviar-expensive food when you have to risk your live scaling caves and cliffs to get those swallow's nest. Nowaday they're a lot cheaper since you can... not breed, build a house for swallows.

shadow_archmagi
2010-05-22, 03:42 PM
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll394/pakenithuh/1268815712207.jpg?t=1268883746]

I've waited so long to post this.

MCerberus
2010-05-22, 03:45 PM
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll394/pakenithuh/1268815712207.jpg?t=1268883746]

that slightly broke my mind.

Dienekes
2010-05-22, 03:51 PM

Dumb? No. Potentially the most awesome meal ever prepared? Yes, yes it is.

golentan
2010-05-22, 04:01 PM
Dumb? No. Potentially the most awesome meal ever prepared? Yes, yes it is.

If by awesome we mean inspiring awe, awe being defined in the dictionary as an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc, I will agree.

To quote, "It will be a veritable cornucopia of carcinogens. An artery clogging masterpiece sure to if not cause, at least hasten my death. If as I expect I expire before leaving the restaurant, here is the contact information for my wife."

hamishspence
2010-05-22, 04:08 PM
I like the phrase:

"It makes your arteries go 'clang' just by looking at it"

Lev
2010-05-22, 04:19 PM

About 4 months ago we had a man cooking party, the next day after a deep fry party (deep fried EVERYTHING POSSIBLE), this of course was all included in my buddy's 72 hour double birthday party, including multiple full game LANs, board games, hiking, bbq, crazy cookings, story tellings, music circles, cuddle puddles, slanket snoozings, ect.

Here's a basic overview of the Man-Cooking section:
8 12oz steaks
10kg of bacon (roughly 15-20 packages)
1 roast
3 12packs of hot dogs

All consumed in 1 day by 10-12 people who were there for that day.

We wrapped bacon on EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. Bacon wrapped around marshmallows or bananas and then BBQ'd? Awesome!
Baked bacon weaves? Hell yes, its like a sheet of solid bacon.

For those 3 days, we lived like kings.

Jarian
2010-05-22, 04:20 PM

I almost had a heart attack just looking at that.

Dienekes
2010-05-22, 04:24 PM
If by awesome we mean inspiring awe, awe being defined in the dictionary as an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc, I will agree.

Of course, looking at this glorious combination of meats, cheeses, sauce, and dough, I think fear is the only logical reaction.

I merely make it a goal to face my fears. One day, the bacon and cheese stuffed pizza burger will be mine!

Edit: Also, funny quote where's it from?

Mystic Muse
2010-05-22, 04:46 PM
I almost had a heart attack just looking at that.

I almost threw up looking at that.

golentan
2010-05-22, 04:57 PM
Edit: Also, funny quote where's it from?

Early Bloom County.

Loved that comic. The spinoffs just weren't anywhere near the quality (Opus, of the comic Opus, began life in Bloom County. I can't read it, it makes me sad to see how far Mr. Breathed has fallen).

Reinboom
2010-05-22, 05:11 PM

YUM!

My input into this thread:
I don't understand the idea of calling food dumb. If someone is aware of the implications for certain foods and decides to eat them anyways, noting mostly for taste, then...
Why have an attitude that looks down on them for it? It's not like it's affecting you.

Also, shakes/malts/frosties are delicious with fries/chips.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-22, 05:15 PM
Loved that comic. The spinoffs just weren't anywhere near the quality (Opus, of the comic Opus, began life in Bloom County. I can't read it, it makes me sad to see how far Mr. Breathed has fallen).

I liked the comic Opus.:smallfrown:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-05-22, 08:04 PM
:smalleek: You know, it's probably a very, very good thing that I don't eat pork...

So this morning my brother and I made a pancake the size of the (Very large) frying pan.

In it were chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, 2 Hershey bars, and marshmallows. Afterwards we coated it in maple syrup (The real stuff of course, we never have anything else) and whipped cream.

AtomicKitKat
2010-05-22, 08:35 PM
Pizza Burger huh? I tried that once, with 2 mini-pizzas sandwiching a fried egg. Was pretty good.

McD's French Fries are okay, but I prefer mine hot out of the oil, with next to no salt. Otherwise, lots of MSG.

Runestar
2010-05-22, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post

1) Water
2) Sugar

Bird saliva, or bird's nest as we call it in asia, is actually a very expensive delicacy. White fungus is also a fairly sought-after herb as well. It is not that uncommon a dessert.

My only comment is that there really isn't much "energy" content inside apart from the sugar.

Now Durian. That is something you should dare your western friends to try out, given that most of them wouldn't have been accustomed to its strong flavour yet. :smallamused:

toasty
2010-05-22, 11:05 PM

To be honest, this is because McDonald's has very slick marketing and millions of Kid's all over the world recognize McDonald's as a "fun place" to eat. Honestly though? I never really liked it, except for the Chicken Nuggets, which don't fill me up. :smalltongue:

The french fries are horrible, by the way. See, this is my french fry test: Buy french fries. Eat them. NO. Stop with the Ketchup. Stop with the mustard. Stop with any sort of sauce (salt/pepper is allowed). Do they taste good? They are good french fries? Do they taste bad? They are bad french fries.

Ketchup is good, I admit, on certain things. Mustard is amazing on a lot of stuff. Mayo too, has its place, as do a vast majority of toppings. However, french fries, in theory, should be edible just plain. MacDonald's fries are not edible plain, and are, as a result, horrible. In my experience at least.

And I've had Jack 'n the Box Curly Fries, they are indeed very good.

That is nasty. I mean, really, really nasty.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-22, 11:08 PM
For fries I like Arby's curly fries or Rally's seasoned fries.

Cealocanth
2010-05-22, 11:08 PM

G-d. I always wondered how people could get fat overnight. Now I know.

I looked at this and thought, "Cardiac attack! Shapow!"

onthetown
2010-05-22, 11:11 PM

Try some homemade homefries/ fried mashed potatoes (Made kind of like pancakes)

I love making those! :smallbiggrin: One of the few things I can cook.

I do like McDonald's fries. Rather, I like the idea of them. Shoestring fries with no grease or tonnes of salt added are wonderful. This goes for most of the things on their menu, really...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-22, 11:19 PM

.... I really want to try that... thought it is a BAD idea (heart dissease runs in both sides of my family)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-22, 11:44 PM

Hate me if you want, but I SOOOO wanna try that.

My opinion on foods of that sort? Go play football for an hour or two, or take a good several mile hike/jog. Eat some salad after to help push it through.

Seriously, as long as you get fiber, vitamins and exercise there is no reason any food should be harmful from sheer calories/fat unless eaten every day.

Leecros
2010-05-22, 11:45 PM

i think if you ate something like that in one sitting in real life...you'd just explode.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-22, 11:49 PM
A response in a website displaying this: "Deadpool would make a vegetarian eat it."

HA! :smallamused:

MCerberus
2010-05-22, 11:52 PM
Tomorrow's project: I'm going to calculate the nutritional content of the slice taken out of the thing.

Assuming that's a 5th of the creation, that would be

2/5 of a stuffed crust pizza
1lb of hamburger
somewhere around 8oz of cheese
~6oz of bacon
1/5 of an egg
and some onion and garlic, which at this point could be considered "negligible"

What do you think a good over/under would be for saturated fat, calories, and sodium?

Leecros
2010-05-22, 11:55 PM
Tomorrow's project: I'm going to calculate the nutritional content of the slice taken out of the thing.
that's one of those Do you really wanna know that? situations...coupled with a Holy cow(moo) that could be interesting! situations

Serpentine
2010-05-22, 11:57 PM
I actually like McDonald's French fries. But I don't like McDonald's. The take-away store where I went to high school used to make them, though. You could get hot chips, which were the normal ~1cm thick ones, or you could get "fries", which were skinny and greasy and yum.

Rockphed
2010-05-23, 12:07 AM
Is it just me, or does that meat look raw?

Mystic Muse
2010-05-23, 12:08 AM

I think it's just "rare" but it still doesn't look very appetizing.

Bhu
2010-05-23, 12:11 AM
http://www.weird-food.com/index.html

http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/index.htm

sites back ans waits for the eeeeeewwww

Dienekes
2010-05-23, 12:12 AM

What? Never had a fresh cannibal burger? Tastes delicious, sure the potential for salmonella might be higher then most would like

UglyPanda
2010-05-23, 12:18 AM
A work in progress, and I have no idea how to calculate the amount of beef and cheese used other than estimation. I'm estimating that the whole package of beef was used and I'm using an approximation for its nutritional value.

Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Pizza Burger
|Pizza (http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/digiorno/cheese-stuffed-crust-pepperoni-pizza-26-oz./)|Bacon (http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/hormel/black-label-bacon/)|Beef (http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/7327-ground-beef/7327-ground-beef/)|Cheese|Minimum "Nutritional" Value
Total Servings|10|6+|20?|?|
Calories|3850|480+|7000|?|11330
Total Fat|160 g|72 g+|600 g|?|832 g
Saturated Fat|80 g|15 g+|240 g|?|335 g
Cholesterol|400 mg|90 mg+|1600 mg|?|2090 g
Sodium|10400 mg|1980 mg+|1200 mg|?|13480 mg
Total Carbohydrates|400 g|0|0|?|400 g

tyckspoon
2010-05-23, 12:20 AM
I think it's just "rare" but it still doesn't look very appetizing.

Looks close to Medium, by color, but hamburger is generally recommended to be done at least medium-well for safety purposes, preferably well-done. Takes a lot of cooking to get a chunk of meat that big done to that degree all the way through, tho.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-23, 12:21 AM
Looks close to Medium, by color, but hamburger is generally recommended to be done at least medium-well for safety purposes, preferably well-done. Takes a lot of cooking to get a chunk of meat that big done to that degree all the way through, tho.

Yeah, good point.

Occasional Sage
2010-05-23, 12:30 AM
American ingenuity: We can find a way to fry anything.

Sadly, we can even deep fry butter.

Dvandemon
2010-05-23, 12:31 AM
It's only toxic if the maggots are dead. :smallsmile: As long as they're alive and squirming you're safe. Though the maggots themselves can give you lesions, lacerations and other gastro intestinal problems....though they don't seem to be that deadly. There's also the possibility of having them infect you...but I imagine you can treat a maggot infestation.

I thought your were supposed to put the cheese in a bag so the maggots would suffocate. They're supposed to make a rain like noise from beatting themselves against the bag trying to get out. This thread reminds me of an OoTS Dragon comic about ignoring fluff text about food taste

MCerberus
2010-05-23, 12:35 AM
I lied. Using my brown belt in googlefu, I've tracked down the nutritional info as best I could. Note these were given per-serving. Food companies use creative rounding to make it look healthier. That means my calculations are all low-balled.

Nutritional info for each product dump by serving:
Pizzas (1/6 of 1)
350cal
16g fat
7g sat fat
40mg cholesterol
950mg sodium
34g carb

Bacon 1.5oz. Rounded up to 1.6 oz for ease of calculation
80cal
7g fat
2.5g sat fat
15mg cholesterol
330mg sodium
0carb

shredded cheese 1oz
120cal
10g fat
7g sat fat
30mg cholesterol
310mg sodium
1g carb

pepper jack 1oz
110cal
9g fat
6g sat fat
30mg sodium
170mg sodium
1g carb

colby jack 1oz
110cal
9g fat
6g sat fat
25mg cholesterol
180mg sodium

beef 4oz
340cal
30g fat
12g sat fat
95mg cholesterol
75mg sodium

Totals for each nutrient
Cal totals
pizza - 4200
shred - 840
bacon - 1600
pepper jack - 1760
cojack - 1760
beef - 6800
egg - 71

fat totals
pizza - 192g
shred - 70g
bacon -140g
pepper jack - 144g
cojack - 144g
beef - 600g
egg - 5g

sat fat
pizza - 84g
shred - 49g
bacon - 50g
pepper jack - 96g
cojack - 96g
beef - 240g
egg - 1.5g

cholesterol
pizza - 480mg
shred - 210mg
bacon - 300mg
pepper jack - 490mg
cojack - 400mg
beef - 1900mg
egg - 190mg

sodium
pizza - 11.4g
shred - 2.17g
bacon - 6.6g
pepper jack - 2.72g
cojack - 2.88g
beef - 1.5g
egg - .072g

Alright, now the fun stuff.
Total Values:
Calories: 18,831
Fat: 1.3kg. That's right. It's in Kilos
Saturated Fat: 616.5g
Cholesterol: 4g
Sodium: 27.3g

One "serving":
3766 calories
260g fat
123g saturated fat
800mg cholesterol
5.46g sodium

FDA Recommended Daily Intake:
2000 calories
65g fat
20g saturated fat
300mg cholesterol
2.4g sodium

Runestar
2010-05-23, 12:44 AM
I order my Mac fries without salt, but that's just another way of ensuring they are hot from the stove (because the rest of the fries sitting on the shelve are sure to have salt on them). :smallbiggrin:

One "serving":
3766 calories
260g fat
123g saturated fat
800mg cholesterol
5.46g sodium

2000 calories
65g fat
20g saturated fat
300mg cholesterol
2.4g sodium

To be honest, I am disappointed. I had expected each serving to contain much more calories and fat. The sort which explains why heart bypass was created. :smalltongue:

MCerberus
2010-05-23, 12:52 AM
I order my Mac fries without salt, but that's just another way of ensuring they are hot from the stove (because the rest of the fries sitting on the shelve are sure to have salt on them). :smallbiggrin:

To be honest, I am disappointed. I had expected each serving to contain much more calories and fat. The sort which explains why heart bypass was created. :smalltongue:

Two things:1. My 17 year-old inner-angsty-highschooler from 5 years ago hates you. People going no-salt pretty much shut down the front-line of the resteraunt. I loved getting yelled at by people because someone pulled a no-salt. Often they then ask for salt.

2. You have to remember this is comparing a meal to a day full of nutrition. It destroys your heart through LDLs, sodium, and overburdening your body with hard to use fat calories.

Dvandemon
2010-05-23, 01:02 AM
ZOMG! this is why you're fat has a recipe for KFC Elvis Double Down

Runestar
2010-05-23, 01:04 AM
Two things:1. My 17 year-old inner-angsty-highschooler from 5 years ago hates you. People going no-salt pretty much shut down the front-line of the resteraunt. I loved getting yelled at by people because someone pulled a no-salt. Often they then ask for salt.

Usually, the cashier just punches in the order, moves my tray to the side and proceeds to take the other orders while waiting for my food to be ready.

Sometimes, I order my cheeseburger without ketchup and my drink without ice while I am at it too.

So am I fast food's public enemy number 1 yet? :smallamused:

golentan
2010-05-23, 01:50 AM
I lied. Using my brown belt in googlefu, I've tracked down the nutritional info as best I could. Note these were given per-serving. Food companies use creative rounding to make it look healthier. That means my calculations are all low-balled.

Nutritional info for each product dump by serving:
Pizzas (1/6 of 1)
350cal
16g fat
7g sat fat
40mg cholesterol
950mg sodium
34g carb

Bacon 1.5oz. Rounded up to 1.6 oz for ease of calculation
80cal
7g fat
2.5g sat fat
15mg cholesterol
330mg sodium
0carb

shredded cheese 1oz
120cal
10g fat
7g sat fat
30mg cholesterol
310mg sodium
1g carb

pepper jack 1oz
110cal
9g fat
6g sat fat
30mg sodium
170mg sodium
1g carb

colby jack 1oz
110cal
9g fat
6g sat fat
25mg cholesterol
180mg sodium

beef 4oz
340cal
30g fat
12g sat fat
95mg cholesterol
75mg sodium

Totals for each nutrient
Cal totals
pizza - 4200
shred - 840
bacon - 1600
pepper jack - 1760
cojack - 1760
beef - 6800
egg - 71

fat totals
pizza - 192g
shred - 70g
bacon -140g
pepper jack - 144g
cojack - 144g
beef - 600g
egg - 5g

sat fat
pizza - 84g
shred - 49g
bacon - 50g
pepper jack - 96g
cojack - 96g
beef - 240g
egg - 1.5g

cholesterol
pizza - 480mg
shred - 210mg
bacon - 300mg
pepper jack - 490mg
cojack - 400mg
beef - 1900mg
egg - 190mg

sodium
pizza - 11.4g
shred - 2.17g
bacon - 6.6g
pepper jack - 2.72g
cojack - 2.88g
beef - 1.5g
egg - .072g

Alright, now the fun stuff.
Total Values:
Calories: 18,831
Fat: 1.3kg. That's right. It's in Kilos
Saturated Fat: 616.5g
Cholesterol: 4g
Sodium: 27.3g

One "serving":
3766 calories
260g fat
123g saturated fat
800mg cholesterol
5.46g sodium

2000 calories
65g fat
20g saturated fat
300mg cholesterol
2.4g sodium

So, apart from the fat content (particularly saturated fat), half of what you've got listed as a serving would not be unreasonable food content for a day, so long as you made sure that you had lots of vegetables, nutrients, and the like and not many meats or fats in the surrounding days.

toasty
2010-05-23, 01:54 AM
So am I fast food's public enemy number 1 yet? :smallamused:

Fast Food is the public's enemy number one... does that make you the public's ally? :smalltongue:

Actually, that statement isn't accurate. Dairy Queen is good fastfood. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2010-05-23, 02:07 AM

To quote, "It will be a veritable cornucopia of carcinogens. An artery clogging masterpiece sure to if not cause, at least hasten my death. If as I expect I expire before leaving the restaurant, here is the contact information for my wife."

Wait. What's carcinogenic in there?

Runestar
2010-05-23, 05:41 AM
Fast Food is the public's enemy number one... does that make you the public's ally?

Only if you treat the enemy of your enemy as your ally. :smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-23, 09:31 AM
So, apart from the fat content (particularly saturated fat), half of what you've got listed as a serving would not be unreasonable food content for a day, so long as you made sure that you had lots of vegetables, nutrients, and the like and not many meats or fats in the surrounding days.
*feels vindicated*

Zom B
2010-05-23, 10:08 AM
If I may weigh in a bit on the "Frying is (un)healthy" debate: Here (http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season2/Fry/FryTranscript.htm) is the amazing Alton Brown weighing in on the issue, with a transcript from his show Good Eats. Essentially, When cooked at an appropriate temperature, a food with a good water content has that water turn to steam when introduced to the oil and pushes out faster than the oil can try to push in. The result in a properly fried food is an interior that has essentially been steamed and an exterior that will have residual oil (although putting it on an upside-down cooling rack over newspaper wicks away much of the oil). Of course, breading absorbs oil better than newspaper but is necessary to protect most foods from the heat.

Now, to add to the "disgusting and pointless foods" list: The Luther Burger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Burger).

MCerberus
2010-05-23, 10:44 AM

I don't think it would be that easy. Holiday meals are famous for people needing weeks/months to burn off, and they usually contain some source of greens and don't have the sheer fat content we're dealing with here.

If your metabolism can handle this kind of shock, you're absolutely sure of your ability to stick to your post-meal week+ diet, and you bake the thing with crushed up multivitamins...

Of course I've seen much much worse. Hell I'm pretty sure there's something at the Cheesecake Factory that puts it to shame (their meals. they're famous for being the most unhealthy restaurant to eat at).

toasty
2010-05-23, 10:56 AM
Only if you treat the enemy of your enemy as your ally. :smalltongue:

That was the general idea. :smallwink:

golentan
2010-05-23, 02:28 PM
I don't think it would be that easy. Holiday meals are famous for people needing weeks/months to burn off, and they usually contain some source of greens and don't have the sheer fat content we're dealing with here.

If your metabolism can handle this kind of shock, you're absolutely sure of your ability to stick to your post-meal week+ diet, and you bake the thing with crushed up multivitamins...

Of course I've seen much much worse. Hell I'm pretty sure there's something at the Cheesecake Factory that puts it to shame (their meals. they're famous for being the most unhealthy restaurant to eat at).

Holiday meals are infamous in part because the caloric content of an average turkey dinner is 4000 calories, even ignoring breakfast and lunch. Like I said, half of what he had listed as a serving is reasonable caloric content for an entire day, and even isn't "Oh god, get this man a new heart valve" apart from the fat (twice recommended) and saturated fat (3 times recommended).

Just... Just don't eat anything else that day.

Recaiden
2010-05-23, 02:43 PM
That was the general idea. :smallwink:

Remember, your enemy's enemy is also your enemy.

And yes, Holiday meals are ridiculous in the simple amount of food they have.

golentan
2010-05-23, 02:45 PM
Remember, your enemy's enemy is probably also your enemy.

So you sit back, and when the winner emerges victorious but exhausted and beaten up, you kick him in the knees and put one into his eye socket.

arguskos
2010-05-23, 02:50 PM
Remember, your enemy's enemy is also your enemy.
Wait, I thought this thread was about stupid foods, not Warhammer 40k (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/3/5/). :smallconfused::smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2010-05-23, 03:19 PM
Wait, I thought this thread was about stupid foods, not Warhammer 40k (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/3/5/). :smallconfused::smalltongue:
Joy of Cooking 40,000: In The Greasy Darkness of the Far Future, There Is Only Bacon.

Cealocanth
2010-05-23, 10:32 PM

[snippety snippety snip]

That could be served in slices, so everyone only gets a little bit, and not the whole thing. It could be a meal that some kids would really enjoy. Served with a side of steamed vegetables and you have a well rounded meal with meat, dairy, starches, and veggies.

Then again, a garbage pizza contains those contants too, making the Pizza Burger a much worse meal.

And I've found some fast food that's really good tasting and not bad for you like Micky Dees.There's this place called Hamburger Stand and annother called Fatburger...

Tequila Sunrise
2010-05-23, 10:43 PM
Chocolate-covered anything. Because chances are, something would taste better without chocolate, so why add the brown goo?

Leecros
2010-05-23, 10:44 PM
Chocolate-covered anything. Because chances are, something would taste better without chocolate, so why add the brown goo?

Because the brown goo is probably the most amazing thing ever invented/discovered/grown/evolved/exploded/extracted/developed/synthesized.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-23, 10:46 PM
Because the brown goo is probably the most amazing thing ever invented/discovered/grown/evolved/exploded/extracted/developed/synthesized.

Yes. Yes it is.

MCerberus
2010-05-23, 10:54 PM
That could be served in slices, so everyone only gets a little bit, and not the whole thing. It could be a meal that some kids would really enjoy. Served with a side of steamed vegetables and you have a well rounded meal with meat, dairy, starches, and veggies.

Then again, a garbage pizza contains those contants too, making the Pizza Burger a much worse meal.

That might have some potential. What do you think, serves 12+? I'd still put each slice sideways on a paper towel to absorb some of the omni-grease... but then again I do that for regular hamburgers.

As per brown goo, it's not actually that bad for you, if you don't mind eating cooking-grade dark. It's the butter that gets you in trouble... That likely doesn't prevent putting it being bad if you put it on anything (which is what you should do).

Cealocanth
2010-05-23, 10:57 PM

I don't know. A chocolate covered strawberry is a completely different thing than a strawberry alone, and many savory foods use chocolate to create a bittersweet flavor that enhances the flavor of food. Mole (Pronounced Mole-ay) would taste like chicken without it's chocolate sauce, and Chinese food wouldn't be the same without that sweet and bitter sauce made using chocolate.

Not to mention all the different types of fondue...

Ogremindes
2010-05-23, 11:19 PM

Only when made and used properly. Cheap chocolate melted without care to tempering is pretty nasty.

Coidzor
2010-05-24, 12:49 AM
Joy of Cooking 40,000: In The Greasy Darkness of the Far Future, There Is Only Bacon.

I love you, silly fairy sitting on a mushroom. :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2010-05-24, 01:25 AM
After mentioning this thread to my family, they have requested that I ask ya'll how to make Deep Fried Oreos... :smallsigh:

I can't let my dad know about the Grimdark Pizza Burger, though. He'd make his next goal in life... :smalleek:

golentan
2010-05-24, 01:28 AM
After mentioning this thread to my family, they have requested that I ask ya'll how to make Deep Fried Oreos... :smallsigh:

I can't let my dad know about the Grimdark Pizza Burger, though. He'd make his next goal in life... :smalleek:

Well, here's a good place to start. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=deep+fried+oreos&l=1)

Coidzor
2010-05-24, 01:31 AM
And yes, Holiday meals are ridiculous in the simple amount of food they have.

I think the biggest culprit is that we simply have a ratio where the number of dishes being served exceeds the number of people eating, so if one had more people involved, the portion sizes would be more resonable.

MCerberus
2010-05-24, 01:33 AM

I think if you sauté and serve with orphan blood that is a recipe from Joy of Cooking 40,000.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-24, 01:47 AM
*blushes*
. . .
*deeper blushing*
Thank you.
That's the first time anyone commented on my avatar.

*cough*
Yes, silly foods.
How about. . .
a cheeseburger in a can? (http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/canned-cheeseburger-yummm.html)

Ogremindes
2010-05-24, 02:11 AM
How about. . .
a cheeseburger in a can? (http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/canned-cheeseburger-yummm.html)

Doesn't really look any worse than the microwave cheeseburger I use to eat regularly. Not that that's saying much.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-24, 02:19 AM
Doesn't really look any worse than the microwave cheeseburger I use to eat regularly. Not that that's saying much.
I bet.
The chicken in a can looks even worse. Not so much decanted as birthed (http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/whole-chicken-in-a-can.html).
Somebody get a doctor to slap that chickens butt!

Coidzor
2010-05-24, 02:36 AM
@_@ What nation is that sold in?

...Why is that sold at all?

...@_@

Ogremindes
2010-05-24, 02:58 AM
I bet.
The chicken in a can looks even worse. Not so much decanted as birthed (http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/whole-chicken-in-a-can.html).
Somebody get a doctor to slap that chickens butt!

Y'know, pretty much nothing looks good dumped out of a can and left there. Has anyone on the internet actually followed the directions on the pack?

2xMachina
2010-05-24, 04:18 AM

Chocolate coated pizza burger? And deep fry that?

Or all ingredients coated with chocolate, and deep fried, then made into the pizza burger, and recoated with chocolate and deep fry again?

Coidzor
2010-05-24, 10:05 AM

Or all ingredients coated with chocolate, and deep fried, then made into the pizza burger, and recoated with chocolate and deep fry again?

That... That just seems like a ***** to get cooked at that size and consistency.

Zom B
2010-05-24, 10:25 AM

RELEVANT (http://www.hulu.com/watch/1447/saturday-night-live-taco-town).

sihnfahl
2010-05-24, 02:14 PM
Local eating spot showed up on Food Network: McGuire's Irish Pub.

Garbage Burger.

Starts standard. Burger, cheese, bacon, etc.

Add things like marinara, BBQ sauce, remoulade, wasabi, icecream, sauerkraut, chocolate sauce, peanut butter and another host of 'interesting' toppings...

Meg
2010-05-24, 03:18 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/S9h9kTAUQHI/AAAAAAAAIWM/nP_opSKCeXI/s1600/8718_128117129221_500049221_2256356_1280834_n.jpg

That is a cake. That will haunt me in my dreams for all eternity. And yes, I totally stole that picture from Cake Wrecks.

MCerberus
2010-05-24, 03:22 PM
Am I the only one that thinks it would have been more effective for it to have been a strawberry/cherry/yellow died red cake?

If you're going to make a dead baby joke cake...

Coidzor
2010-05-24, 04:02 PM
I'm just wondering what a veal-flavored cake would be like. :smallyuk:

AtomicKitKat
2010-05-24, 07:55 PM
I've re-fried overnight burgers(as part of the reheating process), makes for toasty(if greasy) buns. Re-fried McD's fries are so-so, but beats the soft/cold version.

Bhu
2010-05-24, 10:13 PM
http://weirdcakes.blogspot.com/

When did cake making become a hobby for people who were into horror movies?

Zexion
2010-05-24, 11:22 PM
For a similar list, look here (http://www.cracked.com/video_18133_8-great-foods-explaining-why-terrorists-hate-us.html).

It's one of Swaim's best episodes.

Gitman00
2010-05-25, 10:15 AM
I never really got the McGriddle. I don't know if McDonald's still makes them, but it's a breakfast sandwich much like their sausage and egg biscuits, only on pancakes with far-too-sweet maple flavoring.

Serpentine
2010-05-25, 10:19 AM
...sausage and egg biscuits? :smallconfused:

I've had French toast with bacon and maple syrup, cuz I heard that's how Canadians have it. I asked my Canuckian friend, and he'd never heard of it. Tastes good, though.

Gitman00
2010-05-25, 12:08 PM
Oh yes. The sausage and egg (or bacon and egg) biscuit is a breakfast staple at most American fast food restaurants. Generally served with some form of fried potatoes.

Another one I don't quite get is live squid/octopus, served in Korea. One way is to get small and bite-sized ones that you eat whole. You have to wrap the tentacles around your chopsticks a certain way and swallow quickly, or the damn thing will try to crawl back out of your throat and choke you. :smalleek:

Dogmantra
2010-05-25, 12:11 PM
...sausage and egg biscuits? :smallconfused:

Biscuit, if I remember correctly, means scone in American.

pinwiz
2010-05-25, 12:14 PM

yes. That would be correct.

Gitman00
2010-05-25, 12:15 PM
yes. That would be correct.

What is it in Aussie? :smallconfused:

pinwiz
2010-05-25, 12:16 PM
What is it in Aussie? :smallconfused:

I think a biscuit in england and australia is what we would call a cookie.

Jarian
2010-05-25, 12:17 PM

Sausage biscuit. (http://media.photobucket.com/image/McBiscuit/modi10/701px-SausageBiscuit.jpg)

Compare with the scone. (http://www.continentalmills.com/images/brands/krusteaz/recipe_central/Baking_Mixes__Hot_Cereal/scone_mix/raisin%20spice%20scone-scone.jpg)

American cooking 101.

Coidzor
2010-05-25, 12:20 PM

No. Scone means scone in American. Silly.

We just have more foods than you do.:smallamused:

Recaiden
2010-05-25, 12:22 PM
@^: No. A scone is a heavy, not-so-risen American biscuit.

Yes, it does.

Not what we would call a sausage and egg cracker. Because that would indeed be :smallconfused:

Now, I know in the USA we have maple syrup with French Toast, but the bacon I've never heard of, even for Canada.

Dogmantra
2010-05-25, 12:22 PM
Well cookies and biscuits are like subspecies here so you wasted a word!

Recaiden
2010-05-25, 12:28 PM
Sausage biscuit. (http://media.photobucket.com/image/McBiscuit/modi10/701px-SausageBiscuit.jpg)

Compare with the scone. (http://www.continentalmills.com/images/brands/krusteaz/recipe_central/Baking_Mixes__Hot_Cereal/scone_mix/raisin%20spice%20scone-scone.jpg)

American cooking 101.

That looks more like an American scone to me...

MCerberus
2010-05-25, 12:30 PM
Well cookies and biscuits are like subspecies here so you wasted a word!

Since when has our dialect, or cooking methods, ever made sense? We have countless different words for "big sandwich".

I was trying to find an image of a local restaurant's 99 cent burger but an image doesn't seem to exists. So, let's just describe it as: 1/2 pound burger with two slices of cheese on what appears to be a whole loaf of bread.

Jarian
2010-05-25, 12:32 PM

Probably because it is, I think. I was comparing the American versions of the foods with each other.

Fri
2010-05-25, 12:36 PM
sadly can't find the pic in the net, but I just found out that there's chicken-curry-in-a-can sold in convenience stores near my place.

Not curry powder or curry seasoning. Real, ready to eat chicken curry.

pinwiz
2010-05-25, 12:37 PM

this is why I didn't feel the need to make a distinction. In america, biscuits and scones are made a little differently, but to highlight the distinction between the two countries' terminology, calling a biscuit an "american scone" got the point across.

Recaiden
2010-05-25, 12:40 PM
Probably because it is, I think. I was comparing the American versions of the foods with each other.

Oh; I misunderstood then. Thinking that you meant it was the type of scone dogmantra had meant. :smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2010-05-25, 12:44 PM

dang someone beat me to it.

*sigh*

Serpentine
2010-05-25, 11:20 PM
Oh yes. The sausage and egg (or bacon and egg) biscuit is a breakfast staple at most American fast food restaurants. Generally served with some form of fried potatoes.
Sausage biscuit. (http://media.photobucket.com/image/McBiscuit/modi10/701px-SausageBiscuit.jpg).Looks like a type of flatter, larger scone... I figured it'd probably be that sort of scone-like so-called "biscuit", but the idea of them selling it, with that stuff, at McD's, is weird.
I guess the equivalent at Australian Fungries'd be "sausage and egg mcmuffin" (sausage and egg on an English muffin), or possibly sausage and egg with a hash brown.

Cealocanth
2010-05-25, 11:23 PM
Ahh, isn't the english language so fun! It's different depending on where you live but the same at the same time!

This is what happens when you put a Canadian, an American, an English Person, and an Austrailian in the same room together and bring up the topic of food.

Innis Cabal
2010-05-25, 11:24 PM
Its a biscut biscut actually. Having worked at a McDonalds in my younger days, and having lived in the American Deep South at that. The McBiscut is in fact a full fleged (and oddly good biscut despite where it comes from) biscut that follows a recipe very similar to a good ol'fashion American biscut.

Not that eating one every day would be a wise decision, but its one of the more palletable foods sold at McDonalds.

Winter_Wolf
2010-05-25, 11:33 PM
sadly can't find the pic in the net, but I just found out that there's chicken-curry-in-a-can sold in convenience stores near my place.

Not curry powder or curry seasoning. Real, ready to eat chicken curry.

That sounds absolutely disgusting. If you were wondering, "who would possibly eat that?", it's me. Love me a curry, vindaloo, what have you. I have a hard time believing it could be worse than the curry I had on an airline flight in China this one time. Hey, if I could afford to put a good Indian cuisine chef on retainer, I'd be eating it just about every day.

Speaking of dumb "food": habu sake. Or just about any alcohol where a chief ingredient is the whole venomous snake. Really, what was the thought process involved in that? Sounds like it involved some variation of those famous words, "hey hold my beer and watch this!"

arguskos
2010-05-25, 11:37 PM
Speaking of dumb "food": habu sake. Or just about any alcohol where a chief ingredient is the whole venomous snake. Really, what was the thought process involved in that? Sounds like it involved some variation of those famous words, "hey hold my beer and watch this!"
I've had that, actually. It's pretty good, interestingly enough. Sake (in any form, much less habu sake) is a heavily acquired taste though, so, yeah.

Is it bad that I've had a lot of the foods in this thread? :smallconfused: Probably. :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2010-05-25, 11:43 PM
If by "bad" you mean "awesome", yes.

Unless you have a cut in your mouth or stomach, drinking venom should be fine. I think a friend of mine used to have a bottle of something like that... Don't think she ever opened it to try it, though. Kept it for decoration. What with it having a cobra pickled in it...

arguskos
2010-05-25, 11:49 PM
If by "bad" you mean "awesome", yes.
Like, I've had a good number of these foods (not all of them, obviously), and could add some truly stupid things to it (such as the live scorpions; or the beheaded grasshoppers; or actually there have been a lot of bugs; maybe the live monkey; and there was the casu marzu [the maggot cheese]; I've had a lot of odd stuff).

Unless you have a cut in your mouth or stomach, drinking venom should be fine. I think a friend of mine used to have a bottle of something like that... Don't think she ever opened it to try it, though. Kept it for decoration. What with it having a cobra pickled in it...
Very little venom was in it, IIRC. Was pretty good sake though.

Also, for the sake of adding something I didn't read earlier: pufferfish, the fish poisonous enough to kill you if you eat it and it was prepared wrong for like 3 seconds of the preparation. It's quite good, actually, if suicidally stupid. Why someone looked at this poisonous fish and said "I... I gotta eat it!" is beyond me, but, it turned out to be tasty, so I'll call it a win.

Serpentine
2010-05-25, 11:56 PM
Ugh. I think eating live things is the main thing I'd baulk at, and I'd be willing to try human.

Innis Cabal
2010-05-25, 11:59 PM
Also, for the sake of adding something I didn't read earlier: pufferfish, the fish poisonous enough to kill you if you eat it and it was prepared wrong for like 3 seconds of the preparation. It's quite good, actually, if suicidally stupid. Why someone looked at this poisonous fish and said "I... I gotta eat it!" is beyond me, but, it turned out to be tasty, so I'll call it a win.

Did you get your fugu in Columbus there Arguskos? I know a great resturant that sells it at a fairly reasonable place. It was the only place I could find that sold it in all of the NE OH.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 12:00 AM
Ugh. I think eating live things is the main thing I'd baulk at, and I'd be willing to try human.
Interestingly enough, human is the only meat I think I haven't had yet. I've had nearly anything else that people eat, but not human. Want to try it before I die though, just to say I'd tried everything.

Also, yes, the live monkey brains and the live scorpions rank among the worst things I've ever consumed.

Alsoalso, balut was god awful as well. I still shudder at the mention of that one. :smallyuk::smallyuk:

EDIT: No, actually, Innis, I had it in Seattle, at a small shop I can't even remember the name of. Where around here sells it? I don't think Aki Hana does, and it's the best sushi for 500 miles in any direction (willing to place money on that one, I am).

Innis Cabal
2010-05-26, 12:04 AM
No, actually, Innis, I had it in Seattle, at a small shop I can't even remember the name of. Where around here sells it? I don't think Aki Hana does, and it's the best sushi for 500 miles in any direction (willing to place money on that one, I am).

I'll have to find you the name, but it wasn't Aki Hana. Though I will admit its premo stuff. I can't honestly say its the best sushi in all of the C-Bus.

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 12:05 AM
I'm more worried about the "cruel and totally unnecessary" bit than the taste, really. Though the idea of something squirming around while I eat it is unpleasant, also...
At the very least, I think I'd try to bite the head off first.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 12:09 AM
I'll have to find you the name, but it wasn't Aki Hana. Though I will admit its premo stuff. I can't honestly say its the best sushi in all of the C-Bus.
Yeah, let me know. Was it Otani? Restaurant Hama? Those are the other pretty prime places in Columbus for such fare, those and Aki Hana of course (gods, Aki Hana is SO AMAZING OMG :drools:). I need to go there again soon.

Also, in the interests of continuing to post disturbing foods that make very little sense, I volunteer Vio, from Coca-Cola:
http://c.fsdn.com/sd/articles/09/07/27/1853224-1.png
It's carbonated milk with fruit flavorings. :smallyuk:

EDIT: Serps, the scorpions really were freaky, since you had to bite them in half and eat them in two bites. They kicked as they went down too. :smalleek:

The monkey, there was no justification, and that made me physically ill.

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 12:11 AM
Eeew, carbonated milk :smallyuk:

golentan
2010-05-26, 12:12 AM
Yeah, let me know. Was it Otani? Restaurant Hama? Those are the other pretty prime places in Columbus for such fare, those and Aki Hana of course (gods, Aki Hana is SO AMAZING OMG :drools:). I need to go there again soon.

Also, in the interests of continuing to post disturbing foods that make very little sense, I volunteer Vio, from Coca-Cola:

EDIT: Serps, the scorpions really were freaky, since you had to bite them in half and eat them in two bites. They kicked as they went down too. :smalleek:

That's not so unusual. Something that I've made a lot is a homebrewed milk soda, and it's pretty good.

I've never had live scorpions, but dead ones are pretty good. My favorite insect is still caterpillar in spicy tomato sauce, though.

AtomicKitKat
2010-05-26, 12:13 AM
As I recall, McDonald's serves Muffins, not biscuits. We got the McGriddles a couple years after the States. It's basically their Hotcakes(Pancakes) infused with syrup, replacing the muffins used in the Big Breakfast/Sausage McMuffin(sometimes with egg)/Egg McMuffin(one is sunny side up, the other is scrambled). I don't eat the McGriddles only because the sweetness is so bad it actually makes my teeth hurt.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 12:14 AM
That's not so unusual. Something that I've made a lot is a homebrewed milk soda, and it's pretty good.
Not so much unusual as unnecessary. Why bother? Milk is good. Fruit is good. Sparkling water can be good. Combined, not so much. It's like combining peanut butter and fishsticks, just cause they're both good on their own.

I've never had live scorpions, but dead ones are pretty good. My favorite insect is still caterpillar in spicy tomato sauce, though.
Hmm. Caterpillars are... crunchy. Not had them in sauce though. My favorite bug? Crystalized ants. So tasty, and an anti-toxin too! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: AKK, I know for a fact (because I checked yesterday) that MickyD's serves both biscuits and the McGriddle things (which I hate personally).

Innis Cabal
2010-05-26, 12:15 AM

In reference to the grass hopper, I've eaten a few live in my time. They taste...well honestly like grass. Nothing good with it. The squirming and moving was a little off putting as well.

@Arguskos: I vaugely recall it being something like Osaka Blue. Its owned by my one friend's mothers room mate from college. So we got to eat for half cost and sake was on the house.

MCerberus
2010-05-26, 12:15 AM
I need to try and find some pictures of the store whose main function is to cover dead insects in various sugary coatings.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 12:19 AM
@Arguskos: I vaugely recall it being something like Osaka Blue. Its owned by my one friend's mothers room mate from college. So we got to eat for half cost and sake was on the house.
Osaka Blue... I don't know it. Interesting, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Another bizarre and frankly terrible sandwich: the Hula Burger. It was a pet project of Ray Kroc's (the guy who started the McDonald's Corporation, and who was totally awesome), and was his favorite burger they ever made. What was it? It was a thick slice of pineapple, grilled, and served on a bun with a slice of american cheese. 'twas his favorite till the day he died.

EDIT: I know a lot about McDonalds. Having a parent who's worked with them for 13+ years does that.

golentan
2010-05-26, 12:24 AM
Not so much unusual as unnecessary. Why bother? Milk is good. Fruit is good. Sparkling water can be good. Combined, not so much. It's like combining peanut butter and fishsticks, just cause they're both good on their own.

Bah. Including milk in a soda gives it a smoother texture and creamier finish, with a mild acidity most pleasing to the palate when properly employed.

It's more like combining Chocolate and Chili Con Carne: The two do not seem natural allies, but the addition of a certain modicum of baking bitters is a brilliant and delicious way to up the quality of your pot.

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 12:24 AM
If we're on the topic of edible insects, I WILL eat honeypot ants before I die. Possibly chocolate-covered.
I would also be interested in trying fried locusts, the edible tarantula, giant water beetles, and various others.
That Bugs magazine has spoiled me P:

pinwiz
2010-05-26, 12:25 AM
Osaka Blue... I don't know it. Interesting, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Another bizarre and frankly terrible sandwich: the Hula Burger. It was a pet project of Ray Kroc's (the guy who started the McDonald's Corporation, and who was totally awesome), and was his favorite burger they ever made. What was it? It was a thick slice of pineapple, grilled, and served on a bun with a slice of american cheese. 'twas his favorite till the day he died.

EDIT: I know a lot about McDonalds. Having a parent who's worked with them for 13+ years does that.

This burger isn't inherently terrible. when done right, it can be quite tasty. also, it's very good with a chicken patty/breast, and with a little bit of sauce of some kind that i don't remember. sorry. i'm tired.

Innis Cabal
2010-05-26, 12:25 AM
Large spiders taste like crab, or so I am told. So, if you like crab, thats a plus I'm sure.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 12:28 AM
This burger isn't inherently terrible. when done right, it can be quite tasty. also, it's very good with a chicken patty/breast, and with a little bit of sauce of some kind that i don't remember. sorry. i'm tired.
Well, american cheese+pineapple=/=delicious in my experience. Of course, I never tried the exact blend and mix they used for that specific burger, so, I honestly couldn't say (it was well before my time).

My mother (who often goes to the main campus of McDonalds up in Chicago) has reported that they actually will make you any object from the menu that you wish in the corporate cafeteria, and that they in fact still offer the Hula there. She didn't try it though.

@golentan: Chocolate and Chili Con Carne just isn't that great though. I've had several mixes of chili and chocolate, and none were satisfying (save one, but the chocolate was only a spice in the preparation, so it doesn't really count). :smalltongue:

golentan
2010-05-26, 12:45 AM
@golentan: Chocolate and Chili Con Carne just isn't that great though. I've had several mixes of chili and chocolate, and none were satisfying (save one, but the chocolate was only a spice in the preparation, so it doesn't really count). :smalltongue:

Heathen. I bet you don't like Mole either.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 12:48 AM
Heathen. I bet you don't like Mole either.
No, mole (I assume you mean the chocolate-tinged sauce of Central American origin) is excellent in many dishes. However, a meaty chili that tastes strongly of chocolate doesn't appeal much to me. Now, using a bit of chocolate shavings as a mild accent? Acceptable and potentially excellent (see: my favorite food of all time). As a prime mover in the flavors of the chili? Absolutely not. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 12:56 AM
I know of chocolate-chili icecream and chili hot chocolate. I believe they've just been had by people around me, though I think I had a taste of the icecream.
To a large extent, consensus seems to be "meh".

golentan
2010-05-26, 01:01 AM
No, mole (I assume you mean the chocolate-tinged sauce of Central American origin) is excellent in many dishes. However, a meaty chili that tastes strongly of chocolate doesn't appeal much to me. Now, using a bit of chocolate shavings as a mild accent? Acceptable and potentially excellent (see: my favorite food of all time). As a prime mover in the flavors of the chili? Absolutely not. :smalltongue:

Prime mover? I just said that it was an ideal addition to most chilis. If you're blotting out the flavor of the Chili (as in the spice that gives it it's name) you're doing it wrong. If you're including sweet chocolate, you're doing it wrong. Chocolate Chili is very, very similar in composition and flavor to mole. Both should have chocolate, tomato, chili, and assorted spices in delicate balance, aiding and complementing the flavors and spinning a beautiful tapestry of the interwoven notes of bitter, spicy, tangy, fruity, and savory.

I like food. Or rather, I like flavors. In case you couldn't tell.

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-26, 01:03 AM
I'm a big fan of "chocolate in your chili con carne" AND "chilis (the peppers) in your (hot) chocolate" but don't confuse the two, Serps. Or are you actually talking about hot chocolate/chocolate ice cream flavored to taste like a bowl of spiced beef, beans, and tomato sauce? :smallyuk:

arguskos
2010-05-26, 01:05 AM
Prime mover? I just said that it was an ideal addition to most chilis. If you're blotting out the flavor of the Chili (as in the spice that gives it it's name) you're doing it wrong. If you're including sweet chocolate, you're doing it wrong. Chocolate Chili is very, very similar in composition and flavor to mole. Both should have chocolate, tomato, chili, and assorted spices in delicate balance, aiding and complementing the flavors and spinning a beautiful tapestry of the interwoven notes of bitter, spicy, tangy, fruity, and savory.
Chocolate, and especially cooking cocoa, is a powerful flavor. In a dish such as chili, where the spicing is meant to be the key (not the actual physical stuff, like the meat and/or sauce), cocoa has this tendency to be overpowering, drowning out more subtle flavors from spices, herbs, etc, which I hate. If I wanted to taste chocolate, I'd go have some chocolate (it's not like I don't have any or something). Not saying it's bad persay, merely that the line between balanced cocoa flavor and overpowering cocoa flavor is amazingly fine and too easy to sway towards the latter, leading to me hating it in the chili format.

Now, chocolate has a great deal of wonderful uses. To me though, chili isn't one of them.

I like food. Or rather, I like flavors. In case you couldn't tell.
Considering I could be a chef if I improved on my speed and mechanical skill, I'm right there with you. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 01:06 AM
Chili:

http://www.lesliebeck.com/images/featured_foods/chili3.jpg

in hot chocolate and/or ice cream.

"Chili pepper" is superfluous and misleading :smallyuk:

Lycan 01
2010-05-26, 01:10 AM
So last night, while I was preparing a game of Shadowrun, my friends all wento McDonalds to get themselves dinner. They all got themselves what they referred to as "McGangbangers."

Its two meals combined to created one abomination. First, you get a McDouble. Then, you get a McChicken. Pull the McDouble apart. Insert the McChicken between the McDouble patties. Combine back together. Enjoy your McGangbanger.

As I sat in the corner eating my regular McDoubles, they achieved Fast Food Nirvana... :smalleek:

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-26, 01:18 AM
Chili:

in hot chocolate and/or ice cream.

"Chili pepper" is superfluous and misleading :smallyuk:Is it? Or is it clarifying, since I read your post in conjuction with the discussion about chili con carne (also commonly shortened to simply "chili") with chocolate in it and the distinction wasn't clear? To me it sounded as though you weren't aware that they are talking about chili ...

http://www.recipetips.com/images/recipe/chili_soups_and_stew/chili.jpg

... when you mentioned your company has just had "chili" flavored hot chocolate and ice cream.

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 01:24 AM
Only to (USof?) Americans :smalltongue: They were talking about the spice chili, as well as the concoction (which I would pretty much always refer to as "chili con carne" - just plain "chili" always makes me think of a giant pot of cooked chilis, which would be brutal).
And who would put meat-chili into ice cream and hot chocolate (outside of Iron Chef)? :smallconfused:

As an aside: due to a typo in the above, I want to call someone an "American't", now.

arguskos
2010-05-26, 01:27 AM
Only to (USof?) Americans :smalltongue: They were talking about the spice chili, as well as the concoction (which I would pretty much always refer to as "chili con carne" - just plain "chili" always makes me think of a giant pot of cooked chilis, which would be brutal).
And who would put meat-chili into ice cream and hot chocolate (outside of Iron Chef)? :smallconfused:
I've heard the food chili con carne be referred to as simply chili more than a bit outside of this country, btws. It's always better to clarify in an out-of-context moment, which is what I think Zeb was trying to say.

As an aside: due to a typo in the above, I want to call someone an "American't", now.
:smalltongue: (Got nothin' else here, sorry)

Vulkan
2010-05-26, 01:29 AM
Fried bacon wrapped chicken.

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-26, 01:35 AM

As an aside: due to a typo in the above, I want to call someone an "American't", now.See, now you made me reread it. No, at no point were they talking about chilis, only about chili con carne. They just started abbreviating after the third post or so. Which made your post (without clarification) seem a little unusual and why I felt I needed to make mine. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 01:41 AM
Hm... You're right, they only refer to "spices". Guess it's more of a context thing: For me, the use of "chili" to refer to "con carne" is an exception to the rule, as it is normal for "chili" to refer to the fruit or spice. Moreover, for me the important part of that conversation/meal in question is the chili, not the meal as a whole. So, as far as I'm concerned, in a discussion of "chili", whether the plant or the meal, bringing up "chili chocolate ice cream" is both on-topic and self-evident.
[/analysis]

arguskos
2010-05-26, 01:43 AM
Hm... You're right, they only refer to "spices". Guess it's more of a context thing: For me, the use of "chili" to refer to "con carne" is an exception to the rule, as it is normal for "chili" to refer to the fruit or spice. Moreover, for me the important part of that conversation/meal in question is the chili, not the meal as a whole. So, as far as I'm concerned, in a discussion of "chili", whether the plant or the meal, bringing up "chili chocolate ice cream" is both on-topic and self-evident.
[/analysis]
On-topic, yes. Self-evident as you used it, no. In the context golentan and I were using, "chili" was always used as "chili con carne". At no point did either of us make reference to chili as in a pepper.

However, this is all largely irrelevant, since I gathered your point without issue, and I think most others did as well. This appears to be an argument over observational semantics, which, like all other forms of semantics, is a massive waste of time that could be better served by bitching about something no one actually likes, such as processed shrimp, or some other travesty to food. :smalltongue:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-26, 01:46 AM
Why on earth do Americans eat sugary bread? I couldn't stand it for any kind of savoury sandwich; I may as well have used brioche.

golentan
2010-05-26, 01:49 AM
Why on earth do Americans eat sugary bread? I couldn't stand it for any kind of savoury sandwich; I may as well have used brioche.

Umm... What?

I've had Banana Bread, but that's more of a simple cake than a normal bread. Most everything here I use is either neutral (wheat, potato, french loaf) or very unsweet (mmm.... sourdough, marbled rye). And I'm hardly shopping in niche stores for my breads.

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 01:50 AM
I said "as far as I'm concerned" in the context of "...context: for me" :smalltongue:

I think I'd heard ages ago that USofAmericans have sugar-loaded bread... 'supwitat?

arguskos
2010-05-26, 01:51 AM
I said "as far as I'm concerned" in the context of "...context: for me" :smalltongue:
Well, the universe does not revolve around you, you know. Silly Victoria. :smalltongue:

I think I'd heard ages ago that USofAmericans have sugar-loaded bread... 'supwitat?
Define "sugar-loaded", since apparently nothing is safe around you these days. :smalltongue: (No, seriously, define the term as you mean it, it's not clear)

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 01:56 AM
It does when I'm specifically explaining that my perspective is the cause of the confusion :smalltongue:

I'm not sure, as it's been a long time since I heard it. At the least, I'd say... more than is necessary for feeding the yeast, and enough to taste.

golentan
2010-05-26, 01:58 AM

I know that Wonderbread spikes their loaves with sugar to give a blood glucose kick and make people come back to them more often. Dirty trick. But even that's not that sweet (they mask it).

Hearsay is not always valid.

Jarian
2010-05-26, 02:03 AM
I'm not sure, as it's been a long time since I heard it. At the least, I'd say... more than is necessary for feeding the yeast, and enough to taste.

No, we of the United States of Overindulgence do not actually eat sugary bread. The closest thing to that that I know of is banana bread, and that's really more of a dessert.

Lycan 01
2010-05-26, 02:04 AM
Because it makes the bread taste good. ^_^

No but seriously, the breads I eat aren't noticeably sugary. :smallconfused:

No comments on the McGangbanger? :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-26, 02:05 AM
I think I'd heard ages ago that USofAmericans have sugar-loaded bread... 'supwitat?I hear all you colonials like eating discarded brewer's yeast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite). 'supwitat? :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 02:09 AM
Spread butter on freshly toasted bread then smear a very thin layer of said discarded brewer's yeast on it (if you can't see the bread underneath, you have too much), and then ask me 'supwitat :smalltongue: Oh, eat it somewhere in there, too.

And hey, I'm not the one who brought it up!

Anuan
2010-05-26, 02:17 AM
I know of chocolate-chili icecream and chili hot chocolate. I believe they've just been had by people around me, though I think I had a taste of the icecream.
To a large extent, consensus seems to be "meh".

Chilli-flavoured chocolate and hot chocolate are both amazing.

Thank you, Mesoamerica <3

toasty
2010-05-26, 02:17 AM

Banana Bread is amazing! However, it is not sandwich bread. Nor is any other bread that is "sweet." Lots of sweet things breads are amazing, but should not be turned into a sandwich.

Also: Vegemite (as an American) is actually pretty good, in very small amounts.

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-26, 02:34 AM
Spread butter on freshly toasted bread then smear a very thin layer of said discarded brewer's yeast on it (if you can't see the bread underneath, you have too much), and then ask me 'supwitat :smalltongue: Oh, eat it somewhere in there, too.I'm actually pretty curious about what it tastes like since it gets such bad press here.

And hey, I'm not the one who brought it up!Well, I'll be darned. I missed the the two posts above yours. :smallredface:

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 02:38 AM
It just tastes salty with... a bit of beeriness, maybe. It is vitally important that you don't put too much on, though. It is not peanut butter. It's very strongly flavoured.
I don't eat it much, just every now and then I get a hankering for it...

Rockphed
2010-05-26, 02:42 AM
To help clarify the bread discussion, or perhaps further drive people up the wall, the bread my family makes at home has, per loaf, 3 1/2 cups flour and 2 Table Spoons Honey and 2 tea spoons yeast. In other words, it has about 28 times as much flour as honey and 3 times as much honey as sugar.

Now honey is incredibly hard to measure properly, so we probably throw in a bit more than that, but it can't get to more than 3 table spoons. Furthermore, the bread might be a little flat(i.e. it needs salt), but otherwise tastes like bread from a store. Does that sound exceptionally sugary?

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-26, 02:43 AM
It just tastes salty with... a bit of beeriness, maybe. It is vitally important that you don't put too much on, though. It is not peanut butter. It's very strongly flavoured.
I don't eat it much, just every now and then I get a hankering for it...This is probably the source of the bad press. :smallamused:

"Waddaya mean 'too much'? It's not even squeezin' out the sides or anything?"

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 02:47 AM
Rockphed: This is a normal sandwich bread loaf, right?
...and you're adding honey to it? :smallconfused:
Don't get me wrong, it sounds tasty, but yeah, that's more sugary than normal bread.

Zeb: actually, one common old way of having it is to get two... crackers... with little pinholes in them... square... Someone will know what they're called. Anyway, you normally have butter on it as well (:smallyuk:), more vegemite than you usually would, then you squish it between these crackers so it squeezes out the holes.
Also common is cheese and vegemite sandwiches.

Rockphed
2010-05-26, 02:52 AM
Rockphed: This is a normal sandwich bread loaf, right?
...and you're adding honey to it? :smallconfused:
Don't get me wrong, it sounds tasty, but yeah, that's more sugary than normal bread.

Eh, we have lots of honey sitting in the basement and we use the honey instead of the same amount of sugar. And yes, it is pretty much normal bread. Tastes yummy, but that is mostly because it is warm.

Zeb: actually, one common old way of having it is to get two... crackers... with little pinholes in them... square... Someone will know what they're called. Anyway, you normally have butter on it as well (:smallyuk:), more vegemite than you usually would, then you squish it between these crackers so it squeezes out the holes.
Also common is cheese and vegemite sandwiches.

Saltine Crackers perhaps? I'm sure there is another name for them.

Also, back on the original topic: Salt-free Saltines are an abomination against nature.

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-26, 02:53 AM
Zeb: actually, one common old way of having it is to get two... crackers... with little pinholes in them... square... Someone will know what they're called.Saltines? This sounds like an odd choice for an excessively salty spread. Maybe that's not what you mean after all.

llamamushroom
2010-05-26, 02:56 AM
Serp: Are the crackers Saladas? And I have to disagree with you on the thickness-of-waste-yeast-product guideline - I love Vegemite so much. Sometimes, I just have a teaspoon of it as a snack. Mmm... Salty...

As to the sugary bread: yes, the American bread is sugary. As is the Chinese sandwich loaf. It probably isn't obvious if that's what you're used to, but to someone for whom bread has just about no sugar, it was a little weird. For those Aussies wondering what it's like, it tastes like a plain McDonald's burger-bun.

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 03:17 AM
Gr arg. Stoopid update whatsit.

Yes, Salada (http://www.arnotts.com/our-products/products/variety-detail.aspx?o=863) type things.
Blegh :smallyuk: I certainly wouldn't want anywhere near that much, and I would always urge newcomers to try very low amounts. They can always have more later if they want, but it is very easy to put someone off it.

Like a McD's bun? Thought it might've been. Blech.

Anuan
2010-05-26, 03:22 AM
I don't eat it much, just every now and then I get a hankering for it...

I have a friend (Australian) who spreads it thick. Like, thicker than some people use peanut butter. Loves it.

I just think it's kinda gross, no matter how you make it. It's got a bad rep because it tastes like evil. And not in a cool "It's like Daleks in my mouth! 8D" kind of way. More like spreading a necromancer's magic-imbued pus on toast.