PDA

View Full Version : Sayings for a philosophical fighter

bartman
2010-05-21, 11:09 PM
Im making an older fighter who has become somewhat philosophical as he ages. I have stolen mercilessly from the other warrior sayings thread that has been up, and also swiped from a bunch of google searches, and from Conan the Barbarian. I was wondering if anyone out there can come up with any other interesting ones. Think along the lines of an honourable fighter (samourai, swordsage, that sorta character)

thank you

OldTrees
2010-05-21, 11:22 PM
1) Use the Socratic Method once in a while with the inexperienced.
Ex.
Youth: How does one become great?
Fighter: What do the greats have in common?
Youth: *Thinks* "Fame?"
Fighter: Is it the fame that makes them great?
Youth: "No. Experience?"
Fighter: "The trees have lived longs lives full of experiences. Is their greatness what you seek?"
Youth: "No. Experience with weapons?"

2) "The blade reflects the soul of the wielder."

3) "Why?" (appropriately timed this works wonders)

4) "Why do we wage war to promote peace?"

5) "What made the creator of the gods?"

6) "Why is good right and evil wrong?" (only use this if the players also like philosophy and alignment debates)

7) "By itself a stick will easily break, a bundle rarely does. But keep in mind. It is easier to harvest wheat in bundles than it is to fell a single strand."

Azernak0
2010-05-22, 01:03 AM
"Why does Krunk smash when puny humans just rebuild?"

Xuc Xac
2010-05-22, 04:49 AM
"Don't fool yourself, kid. I've seen the ferocious cunning in the eyes of hundreds of orcs as they came for my blood. I've watched that light fade from their eyes as they died on my blade. They're not mindless animals. They have bestial faces, but they have the hearts of men. When you kill one, you're killing a man."

Partysan
2010-05-22, 05:35 AM
"There are those, who lose themselves to their raging insticts, ohthers who just put their heart into their blows, and those who do mercy even in a killing blow.
But I advise you to seek out the deadly calm that rests in the steel.
Adopt the way of the blade, it's coolness and sharpness. Become a blade yourself - and flourish!"

"The one who attacks, gives away his blade, the one who defends gives away the battle - the only true strike is the counter, that cuts into the weakness, be it stricken before, during or after the enemy's attack."

"I do not fear death, I befriend him. He is my loyal companion, and I introduce him to everyone I meet with a blade in hand."

"In battle there is no place for courage, as is there no place for fear. The battle consists of nothing but need - do what has to be done or don't, win or lose, or lose anyway. What can there be more to it?"

The one in my signature may also fit.

Mastikator
2010-05-22, 06:13 AM
That which does not kill us gives us experience points.

Live by the sword, die by my sword.

He who fights monsters should look into that he himself does not become a monster.

Really, any Nietzsche quote will do.

Morty
2010-05-22, 08:16 AM
Some variations on the old "The true warrior isn't recognized by how he fights but whether or not he can decide not to fight" theme would definetly work.

true_shinken
2010-05-22, 08:20 AM
Google Dak'kons quotes from Planescape: Torment. They are exactly what you want. I *know* it.

AslanCross
2010-05-22, 08:41 AM
The M:tG Black Knight Quote:

Battle doesn't need a purpose; battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a field burns or a plague spreads. Don't ask why I fight.

Lycar
2010-05-22, 09:47 AM
"Someone's pain, someone other's gain..."

"To kill is easy. Now, not to kill, that is hard."

"The basics of sword-fighting? Insert, remove, repeat until dead. Preferably your enemy. Everything else is decoration."

"There are people who will proclaim their believes to be so strong that they are willing to die for them. I'll do you one better. I am willing to kill for them."

"You get a few chances to make your life mean something. But you only ever get one chance to make your death count. Make it worthwhile."

"When people pay their respects to a warrior, you must always consider that what they really pay respect to is the sword. You pay your respect to a storm or a dangerous animal too after all. Only when people respect you for what you are, then you are a hero."

"You can use a sword in two ways: To kill and not to kill. You have spent years learning how to do the first and got pretty good at it. But if you do not hone your skill in the latter, you will never be more then a thug, a brute, maybe even a monster. What makes a man is not his ability to fight against something, but his ability to fight for something. And that often enough requires you to be very good at not killing."

Yeah, that are the ones I can think off at the top of my head right now...

Lycar

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-22, 10:25 AM
"Violence is the answer. When it isn't, apply excessive violence."

"You know you've mastered the sword when you don't need to draw it in the first place."

"People cause problems. I kill people. Thus, I solve problems."

"The best warrior only has to fear the worst, because he's got no idea what that imbecile's going to do."

"Prowess in combat is made of three parts: skill, fitness and determination. Lack skill, and your opponent will outmaneuvre you; lack fitness, and your opponent will wear you out; lack will to stand behind your decisions, and all your fitness and skill will amount to nothing."

"Battle is 80% luck. The only way you can win for sure is not fight in the first place."

"To thrive in battle, you must know both yourself and your enemy. Know only one, and you'll win half of the time; know neither, and you're doomed from the start."

"My name is <insert badass moniker>. I kill people for money, but you're my friend... so I'll kill you for nothing."

"Kill one, and they'll call you a murderer. Kill ten, and you're monster. Kill hundred, and youre a hero; kill thousands, and they'll call you a Conqueror. So when you look at any conqueror.. remember what they were first."

"Peace through tyranny, with me as the tyrant."

bartman
2010-05-22, 10:51 AM
Wow, these are all really excellent, I found quite a number that are perfect for the character I have in mind

Thank you all and keep em coming

chiasaur11
2010-05-22, 10:57 AM
Watch the cancelled NBC cop drama "Life".

See Charlie Crews? Quote him frequently.

randomhero00
2010-05-22, 12:41 PM
"I think therefore I fight." Could be his motto.

And when he's just about to do battle, "An idea just came to me."