PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew help!

Just_Ice
2010-05-21, 11:16 PM
I'm interested in homebrewing a combat system, but I need a point to start off of. The system is going to have martial arts bent to it.

Basically, I need a working system that's similar to what I'm going for in order to decide what to use for combat resolution.

Ideally, it'd be similar to what I've already got:
-"Rock, Paper, Scissors" ability scores and combat (strength, agility, technique, more or less)
- A balance between their strengths and weaknesses (while keeping them distinctive)
-Player abilities that change Ability scores/combat rules to get best outcome.

Alternatively, a kung-fu system that works.

Thanks.

Arcane Hoplite
2010-05-22, 06:40 AM
Hmmm... You can have the players choose 2 out of 3 attributes for their fighting style (strength, agility, technique) and let them change freely between those before an encounter. This will define which skills are available for them during the battle. And then, have them earn exp points only for the attribute they used before the battle. For example:
A party consisting of Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee encounter a Kung Fu Panda.
Chuck Norris chooses to use a Strength and Technique style.(Skills available: Direct Punch, Roundhouse kick, Block attack)
Bruce Lee chooses to use an Agility and Technique style. (Double Kick, Flying Kick, Block attack)
After the battle: The two heroes have defeated the Kung Fu Panda, thus earning 200 exp on each attribute they used. Chuck Norris has accumulated enough exp to level up his Strength attribute, thus unlocking a new Strength skill, the Karate Chop.

Hope that helps!

Just_Ice
2010-05-22, 09:42 AM
I appreciate the help, but I was hoping for something a little more sophisticated, or an actual professional/homebrew system that was in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Ideally, all three stats contribute, and you can use whatever techniques you'd like.

I will keep your suggestions in mind, however.